• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

GHG

Test drove the 718 Cayman....

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

that 4 banger meh

i have a problem dropping the amount of cash porsche asks for the Cayman and every option coming with a 4 cylinder. Even with the sport exhaust and the car in sport mode, it just didn't sound right imo.

I distinctly remember my experience with the previous gen and my first impression was much stronger :(

Spending that amount of money on a car with a 4 pot turbo engine is an alien concept to me. Yes, I know the performance numbers and all that but driving is about more than that, it's about the emotion the car makes you feel when you mash the go pedal. Something that sounds akin to my wife's VW Tiguan is not going to get my heart racing, no matter how fast I might be going.

SliChillax

Test drove the 718 Cayman....

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

that 4 banger meh

i have a problem dropping the amount of cash porsche asks for the Cayman and every option coming with a 4 cylinder. Even with the sport exhaust and the car in sport mode, it just didn't sound right imo.

I distinctly remember my experience with the previous gen and my first impression was much stronger :(
I think they ruined the 718 with the engine, saw one pass me the other day and it sounded like crap. I also prefer the looks of the pre facelift.

So I was hauling ass on the way to work just now, pretty much at triple digits...

I blink once and a C7 'vette and M3 fly past me as if I'm standing still.

Maaaaaan.......

Speaking of which, remember when license plates actually displayed what's great about your state? I still miss those Texas plates with the rocket, cowboy and oil derricks.

Yeah but you can't do that because some states don't have anything cool and they feel bad. If you're Michigan, how do you visually represent the concept of "sometimes this state doesn't suck"?

I

How about HURDRSR?

Texas has a 7 letter cap on tags so it's kinda hard to come up with unique tags lol.

True but I want something a little more unique, something that pretty much screams Jongkookie and the car instead of something individual. Idk lol.

I like my current plate right now coz it's the previous version of the Texas plate where it actually has a cool design(on the left) versus the current one that's plain as fnck(the right).

texas-license.jpg
tx13.jpg

Speaking of which, remember when license plates actually displayed what's great about your state? I still miss those Texas plates with the rocket, cowboy and oil derricks.

It's taken.

VA has this awful new default plate that says VA IS FOR LOVERS.
I swear it's just a tax so that you will pay the extra 10 bucks for a non-shitty plate.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Legit fuck driving in Virginia. I could never, ever live here.

I've recently been out here a bit more often as I'm flying into DC for work, and I see 10+ cop cars pulling people over every.single.day. There's a cop waiting to catch people at every on-ramp, every corner. It's awful. And then your speed limits are just laughable - 55mph or 60 at best on every freeway I've been on.

Finally got to a long bridge that stretches for miles above water - and cops are waiting and the "breakdown pit stops" trying to catch people.

*knock on wood* I don't become their next victim.

Legit fuck driving in Virginia. I could never, ever live here.

I've recently been out here a bit more often as I'm flying into DC for work, and I see 10+ cop cars pulling people over every.single.day. There's a cop waiting to catch people at every on-ramp, every corner. It's awful. And then your speed limits are just laughable - 55mph or 60 at best on every freeway I've been on.

Finally got to a long bridge that stretches for miles above water - and cops are waiting and the "breakdown pit stops" trying to catch people.

*knock on wood* I don't become their next victim.

It's fucking awful. It's hard to have any fun on these roads out here unless you go way out until the middle of nowhere. The skyline drive /blue ridge parkway is infested with them so don't even think about hauling ass.

So I guess I can semi confirm what was told to me a few pages back. The leasing on the Fiat, is just not anywhere close to what you would get on Japanese cars. Like they are outrageous. Goodbye Fiat 124 Abarth. I guess Ill take a closer look at the WRX.

Has anyone driven a Q60 2.0? How is it?

Has anyone ever used a car broker?

No Show and Display has always allowed 2500mi/yr on any roads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_or_Display

Huh. See I've heard of stories of owners who've gotten S&D cars impounded or whatever coz they drove it on the road.

In fact one of the stories I've heard is of a local businessman here in DFW who has a Porsche 959 and the story is that it got impounded by the NHTSA because it was used on a trip from Dallas to Austin(400 miles round trip). I can't find any news articles of it coz it happened around 2005 but it's still one of the stories that seem to get passed around here. The guy still apparently got his car back though that I don't know how... all I heard is that it happened 12 years ago.

Yeah but you can't do that because some states don't have anything cool and they feel bad. If you're Michigan, how do you visually represent the concept of "sometimes this state doesn't suck"?

Black water?

Shit, I'm going to hell aren't I?

It's taken.

VA has this awful new default plate that says VA IS FOR LOVERS.
I swear it's just a tax so that you will pay the extra 10 bucks for a non-shitty plate.

I think I'd pay 10 bucks for a decent plate... it's like $90 a year here in Texas to get a custom plate.

Black water?

Shit, I'm going to hell aren't I?

I think I'd pay 10 bucks for a decent plate... it's like $90 a year here in Texas to get a custom plate.

Thats expensive. Here in AZ its $25 for the first year, which covers the cost of the plate, then like $10 a year after that. Its cheap and the new plates suck, so I currently have 3 special plates. Two historic car plates and a pbs plate.

Mistel

Banned
Is it weird that I prefer the Ford Maverick over a Mustang? I just think it looks better.
They're both extensions of the Falcon platform the Maverick is more the antithesis of the trends at Dearborn at the time being the opposite of the increasing size / weight of its platform sisters.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
One of my students showed me a pic of his uncle's sti complete with brush guard, YUGE rally lights, and a roof rack, and a custom plate that said EVOLULZ. I just chuckled and told him it's really interesting that Subaru people always talk shit about evos but you never hear it go the other way.... wonder what that's about ;)

Futaba

One of my students showed me a pic of his uncle's sti complete with brush guard, YUGE rally lights, and a roof rack, and a custom plate that said EVOLULZ. I just chuckled and told him it's really interesting that Subaru people always talk shit about evos but you never hear it go the other way.... wonder what that's about ;)

My better half (also an evo owner) says "because they're too busy fixing their broken evo"

Smokey

holy crap, dealerships are thirsty af.

i filled out a truecar profile and some other stuff through my company. ive had constant emails from reps and 'managers' talking about if they can be of any additional help, please contact etc etc

getting hit from like 3-4 dealerships

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
holy crap, dealerships are thirsty af.

i filled out a truecar profile and some other stuff through my company. ive had constant emails from reps and 'managers' talking about if they can be of any additional help, please contact etc etc

getting hit from like 3-4 dealerships

... until the moment you show you're educated on the market and the vehicles themselves...

Same thing when I was shopping for my Challenger, and occurring again now that I'm doing some early shopping for my wife. Every dealer rep can't wait to "serve" you or help you "with any questions at all," and is motivated to "offer the best price."

And then the second you try to negotiate ~1% lower than the TruCar value, you get a bunch of "no way can we make that work," the "numbers just don't add up," or "the vehicle is flying off lots, so we can't make that work."

Can someone explain to me what Front Lower Ball Joint Boots and Lower Control Arm Bushings are?

I'm about to drive across the country from Florida to California soon and got my car looked at. They told me my front lower ball joint boots are ripped and that my lower control arm bushing is cracking.

I'm just trying to figure out if these are repairs that should be fixed immediately (especially if its going upwards of $700)

Futaba

Can someone explain to me what Front Lower Ball Joint Boots and Lower Control Arm Bushings are?

I'm about to drive across the country from Florida to California soon and got my car looked at. They told me my front lower ball joint boots are ripped and that my lower control arm bushing is cracking.

I'm just trying to figure out if these are repairs that should be fixed immediately (especially if its going upwards of $700)

boots a rubber flexible cover that protects the mechanical connection under it, be it a bearing or a ball joint, as dust/dirt getting in would make it work horrible/fail.
control arm bushing is either a rubber of nylon insert that creates a flexible but firm connection between two components to dampen vibration and smooth the ride out, nylon/etc are used in racing application usually, as it firms up the connections, oem uses rubber because it's more comfortable.

If the bushing is cracking then there could/will be play in the connection between the two components it connects, which at best will result in rougher ride and/or anoying metalic knocking noises, and at worse failure of a part.

the dust boot and bushing should cost no more than $250 to be replaced and installed, and even then that to me seems a little high, if you had the tools to do it yourself the parts to replace would be less than $50 unless it's some exotic sports car.

So you know what you're dealing with:

Ball joint boot: (should be a few dollars)
237.jpg

Control arm bushing: (should be under $40, regardless of brand)
33321140345.jpg

If you give me the make/model/trim/year, i can give you accurate prices for oem replacements for both, so you can go in armed with that knowledge if they try to bend you over backwards with fake costs.

boots a rubber flexible cover that protects the mechanical connection under it, be it a bearing or a ball joint, as dust/dirt getting in would make it work horrible/fail.
control arm bushing is either a rubber of nylon insert that creates a flexible but firm connection between two components to dampen vibration and smooth the ride out, nylon/etc are used in racing application usually, as it firms up the connections, oem uses rubber because it's more comfortable.

If the bushing is cracking then there could/will be play in the connection between the two components it connects, which at best will result in rougher ride and/or anoying metalic knocking noises, and at worse failure of a part.

the dust boot and bushing should cost no more than $250 to be replaced and installed, and even then that to me seems a little high, if you had the tools to do it yourself the parts to replace would be less than $50 unless it's some exotic sports car.

It's an Acura RSX so not exotic at all.

They quoted me $369 for the Joint boots and $300 for the lower control arm

Futaba

It's an Acura RSX so not exotic at all.

They quoted me $369 for the Joint boots and $300 for the lower control arm

Since you didn't specify if the control arm bushing was for front or rear, here's both:

Front control arm bushing, $15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Control-Arm-Bushing-Front-Lower-Dorman-905-752-/171680182151
Rear control arm bushing, $14.60
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-...Lower-Rear-BECK-ARNLEY-101-5909-/322411038127

A pair of control arm ball joints (may as well just replace the whole unit on both sides, not just the rubber boot), $34.96
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-Lower-Ball-Joints-for-02-03-04-ACURA-RSX-2002-2004-/121120583140

So yeah.. you're looking at around $50 in parts.

Hell if you're feeling like just swapping them all out there is even this (which i would actually recommend)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FRONT-LOWER-CONTROL-ARM-BUSHING-2-BALL-JOINT-ACURA-RSX-05-06-/261418141923
Both complete ball joint units, bushings for front and rear, both sides, $70.

Since the parts are press fit, and would require dissassembely, you should be looking at 1-2 hours labor cost for install

All the parts are actually generic too (used across multiple models), so any dealership should be able to sell you them with little waiting time really, though the prices will be between 20-40% higher than ebay. still MILES cheaper than you were quoted

Since you didn't specify if the control arm bushing was for front or rear, here's both:

Front control arm bushing, $15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Control-Arm-Bushing-Front-Lower-Dorman-905-752-/171680182151
Rear control arm bushing, $14.60
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-...Lower-Rear-BECK-ARNLEY-101-5909-/322411038127

A pair of control arm ball joints (may as well just replace the whole unit on both sides, not just the rubber boot), $34.96
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-Lower-Ball-Joints-for-02-03-04-ACURA-RSX-2002-2004-/121120583140

So yeah.. you're looking at around $50 in parts.

Hell if you're feeling like just swapping them all out there is even this (which i would actually recommend)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FRONT-LOWER-CONTROL-ARM-BUSHING-2-BALL-JOINT-ACURA-RSX-05-06-/261418141923
Both complete ball joint units, bushings for front and rear, both sides, $70.

Since the parts are press fit, and would require dissassembely, you should be looking at 1-2 hours labor cost for install

All the parts are actually generic too (used across multiple models), so any dealership should be able to sell you them with little waiting time really, though the prices will be between 20-40% higher than ebay. still MILES cheaper than you were quoted

Thanks for the links. Sorry it's an Acura RSX 2006 base.

This is tempting to do, but I'm only really worried about doing work on my car (I'm pretty much a neophyte in that regard).

The interior, exterior parts (replacing bumpers and such) im fine with but actually working on the insides make me worried about me screwing up and potentially killing myself lol

This is tempting to do, but I'm only really worried about doing work on my car (I'm pretty much a neophyte in that regard).

The interior, exterior parts (replacing bumpers and such) im fine with but actually working on the insides make me worried about me screwing up and potentially killing myself lol

Is your quote from a dealer?

Futaba

the last link will set you right for getting it all fixed, if you're nervous about doing it i'd say just buy the parts and go to another garage and ask how much they charge per hour in labor (don't ask straight up about fixing the car!) once you get an answer, say you've got new bushings and ball joints you want installing and go with that.

If you have another mode of transport, but still dont want to risk doing it ALL yourself, you can remove the parts that have the broken components on, and just take them with you (and not the car), all the garage needs to do then is pull out the old ones and press fit the new ones, a job that would take minutes.

Is your quote from a dealer?

From pretty much the top rated mechanic in my area

the last link will set you right for getting it all fixed, if you're nervous about doing it i'd say just buy the parts and go to another garage and ask how much they charge per hour in labor (don't ask straight up about fixing the car!) once you get an answer, say you've got new bushings and ball joints you want installing and go with that.

If you have another mode of transport, but still dont want to risk doing it ALL yourself, you can remove the parts that have the broken components on, and just take them with you (and not the car), all the garage needs to do then is pull out the old ones and press fit the new ones, a job that would take minutes.

Thanks for the tips. I'll do more research on it. My work is within walking distance of my apartment so transport should be fine

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

This should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Cars that have lots of features and tech just have more components that can be faulty, most everything thats produced has a "part per million" quota that is allowed for the part to fail, if you have 10000 of lots a things more things will break, like a led will stop working, as a consumer you go to the dealer with this => gets registered as a "problem". The better scoring manufacturers here are represented mostly by cars that are on the cheaper side and fewer extras. You can't build a perfect car, its not happening in mass-produced products.

Then you have a certain expectance regarding quality. If you buy a Benz S-class AMG you will fell like the car should be faultless, you go the the dealer if something makes a rattling noise etc. With a cheep car by brand X people are more likely to be of the mindset "I just need to go from A to B, don't really care if my seat makes a noise when i adjust it" etc.

Thats why almost every time in such a broad "problem" J:D:power list premium carmakers that do not have a really cheap offering get where they are.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Cars that have lots of features and tech just have more components that can be faulty, most everything thats produced has a "part per million" quota that is aloud for the part to fail, if you have 10000 of lots a things more things will break, like a led will stop working, as a consumer you go to the dealer with this => gets registered as a "problem". The better scoring manufacturers here are represented mostly by cars that are on the cheaper side and fewer extras. You can't build a perfect car, its not happening in mass-produced products.

Then you have a certain expectance regarding quality. If you buy a Benz S-class AMG you will fell like the car should be faultless, you go the the dealer if something makes a rattling noise etc. With a cheep car by brand X people are more likely to be of the mindset "I just need to go from A to B, don't really care if my seat makes a noise when i adjust it" etc.

Thats why almost every time in such a broad "problem" J:D:power list premium carmakers that do not have a really cheap offering get where they are.

JD Power and Consumer Reports (used to at least) be absolutely warped by their demographic sampling. Basically very old people report flaws at a disproportionately higher rate than other people. The relative size and readability of "radio" buttons was an amazing example of this.

I'd be happy to be updated that they've solved for this, but many of their conclusions - ESPECIALLY "Initial Satisfaction" were sometimes bonkers. And were more like a litmus test of things that confused the elderly.

And I very much doubt that their existing subscription base is getting younger, so let's hope their methodology was overhauled.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah J.D.P can be funny at times.

Electric seat adjustment knob needs the passenger to lean forward to reach it => Shit seat rating.
Electric seat adjustment knob on the side of the seat, not visible, needs to be operated by tactile feedback and a little imagination => Shit seat rating.
Have no adjustment on the seat whatsoever => Great seat rating.

Sometimes you can't win :D

Would it be wise to just buy a completely new Lower Control Arm if it includes the bushings?

Looking at this thread makes it seem like too much of a hassle to get the bushings pressed

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=752575

Oh my god yes don't buy bushings. For the price get the LCAs. It's the difference between a few bolts in an hour and swearing at this motherfucking piece of god damn rubber why won't you FUCKING GO!

Get the LCA.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Cars that have lots of features and tech just have more components that can be faulty, most everything thats produced has a "part per million" quota that is allowed for the part to fail, if you have 10000 of lots a things more things will break, like a led will stop working, as a consumer you go to the dealer with this => gets registered as a "problem". The better scoring manufacturers here are represented mostly by cars that are on the cheaper side and fewer extras. You can't build a perfect car, its not happening in mass-produced products.

Yes, we know. We've discussed this topic extensively in the past before. It is a major issue that JD Power needs to adjust for. When Ford Sync came out, the issue became widely documented.

Makki

I mean this could be for mileage, emissions, safety, etc.

What is the suspected reason?

A way to make the SI more attractive? Seriously though, new manual Hondas have rev hang, if the car holds back boost during shifts then you dont stay spooled and keep MPGs up is my guess.

Futaba

Would it be wise to just buy a completely new Lower Control Arm if it includes the bushings?

Looking at this thread makes it seem like too much of a hassle to get the bushings pressed

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=752575
if you plan on doing it yourself and you dont have the time/tools to press them properly, go with the full control arm, however if a garage is doing it for you, they will (or at least should, if its a decent garage) have a proper press and fittings to both remove and insert bushings and press fitted parts, in which case theres really not much need to buy the full control arm.

Wtf. Look at this:

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/this-cheap-tune-gives-you-the-honda-civic-si-hatch-that-1794875883

Honda is purposely gimping the 1.5L turbo Civics with artificial boost lag. :| Hondata's software undoes that and adds a ton of power in the process. Check out the video.

Woah.

Dammit, looks like I'm gonna have to wait a few more months on the Si???

If Hondata can't get the same gains(percentage wise, not the exact numbers) with the Si, then fuck that noise... I'll definitely be getting an ND then lol.

I was excited for the Si due to it's tuning capabilities but man, if they're really gimping the standard 1.5L Civics, then yeah, no buy for me. You can already get 1.5L Civics for under $20K as we speak...

ZOONAMI

So I peeled on a double lane left turn onto an entrance with my apr tuned Tiguan against a boxster. He did just edge me out into the freeway but was right on him. Got the old tip of the hat in the rear view from the guy. I was kind of late on the light though and he had about a car length lead as my tires started to peel. He wouldn't have known I was gunning him if not for that though lol because it's such a sleeper.

sfedai0

Banned
I really want to like the new civics, but damn, those fake vent pieces are such a turnoff. That, and they are just really big looking cars.

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-addiction-that-completely-destroyed-this-man-s-1794882542

“Before we get to your car questions,” my former next door neighbor, Terrance, said, “I need to tell you both something. My wife left me. My kids won’t talk to me. I lost my job. I embezzled almost a half a million dollars because I’m addicted to BMWs, and have been hiding them all over the state. I’ll probably be going to prison soon.”

Terrance told me his wife knew about eight of the BMWs. In reality, he owned “exactly 50.”

Owning 42 more vehicles than his family thought he did, Terrance looked beyond his driveway for storage. “I had a friend who ran a salvage business, storage place, and had 30-plus cars sitting at his place,” in Weld County.

According to Terrance, he stole $320,000 by issuing himself 125 extra paychecks. And he spent every penny of it on his BMWs.

Alpha, where are you hiding all your Jags...

Futaba

smart man, make up a story about 40+ bmws sat around hidden away, so the cops go looking for hidden cars rather than a duffel bag of cash

Top Bottom