• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Quick update on my thoughts of this thing after using it for a day:

The screen is awesome, possibly the best screen I've ever used.

Fingerprint location is stupid and in general it's more finicky about finger placement than the iPhones sensor.

Iris scanning seems underwhelming.

In general I'm not a fan of the Samsung specific software. A Nexus/Pixel version of this phone would be great.

Lastly, Bixby seems like trash with some future potential. It has a harder time understanding me than Google Assistant. Is there any way to change the Bixby button into something useful?

JettDash

Iris scanning can be useful if your hands are wet or something. But after getting used to the placement of the finger print sensor, I've found it to be better overall. In fact, I now think the new placement is better than the old one.

Ricky_R

Ordered one yesterday. Picked the one with the silver back.

Anybody with silver can tell me if it looks nice in person? Didn't really dig the grey/light purple one in person. The black I don't like.

void666

Banned
I thought iris scanner was amazing at first. But sometimes i had to stare at the screen for a few long seconds. Changed to fingerprint and never looked back.
I use my phone one handed (left hand). And the position of the fingerprint scan is just right.

I had an S7 edge before and the one thing that's bothering me about the S8 is the battery. It still lasts all day long but when i arrive at home it's usually at the 20s% whereas the S7 would be at the 40s%.

Pachimari

Have we heard any rumors about the Galaxy S9 yet? Like would be out around April, have a jackstick for headphones or have a foldable screen? I'm on the lookout for a new phone but refuse to pay the price of an iPhone X since I find the design to be ugly compared to the S8.

Quick update on my thoughts of this thing after using it for a day:

The screen is awesome, possibly the best screen I've ever used.

Fingerprint location is stupid and in general it's more finicky about finger placement than the iPhones sensor.

Iris scanning seems underwhelming.

In general I'm not a fan of the Samsung specific software. A Nexus/Pixel version of this phone would be great.

Lastly, Bixby seems like trash with some future potential. It has a harder time understanding me than Google Assistant. Is there any way to change the Bixby button into something useful?

Check out Bixby Button Remapper on the Play Store.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I would rather die than put a case on a phone.

Will do, thanks.

Edit:

It now brings me to Google Now, so things are looking up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP5T3C1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Get this case dude, black. You wont regret it's sexy af.

Instant unlocking with your index finger and with this case couldn't be more intuitive. Remember you don't have to "turn" the screen on, opens it right up on touch. I'm in love with the fingerprint scanner placement because of the case. There's enough leverage to hold the phone without awkward balancing/juggling it.

Plus it's not bulky at all, this thing is magnificent.

Naite

Anyone having trouble using pebble on the s8? Notifications like upcoming alarms stay on the watch even after I clear them on my phone. And music boss is a coin toss whether it launches my music player to play something, and even then it would lose control midway thru a car drive. The default pebble media controls work fine, but I prefer music boss since I can launch the music player from my watch.

Watch is the original pebble steel if that matters.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Once and a while I'll take the case off and the look of the phone still blows me away. Don't think any other phone compares.

_RT_

My s8 was introduced to a concrete step last week. Brutal.
Sent it back to Samsung for front and back glass repair. Was quoted an estimate of $200.

Needless to say, I'm ordering a case today.

Lulubop

My s8 was introduced to a concrete step last week. Brutal.
Sent it back to Samsung for front and back glass repair. Was quoted an estimate of $200.

Needless to say, I'm ordering a case today.

I'd recommend unicorn beetle, my go to and it hasn't let me down through all the phones I've had.

Got my s8 last week from my edge 7, I like it quite a bit to say the least.

OG Kush

I thought iris scanner was amazing at first. But sometimes i had to stare at the screen for a few long seconds. Changed to fingerprint and never looked back.
I use my phone one handed (left hand). And the position of the fingerprint scan is just right.

I had an S7 edge before and the one thing that's bothering me about the S8 is the battery. It still lasts all day long but when i arrive at home it's usually at the 20s% whereas the S7 would be at the 40s%.

Had my S7 (normal) for just over a year now and the battery is pretty shit. This has happened after a whule with all my android phones :/. I even reformatted the phone and it helped for a month or so then went crap again.

phinious

Anyone have an issue where the audio freezes while your phone is plugged into your car? It only happens while both driving and plugged In. Would love a fix for this. Messed up audible so bad.

VanWinkle

Only thing I don't love about the Samsung browser is the lack of pull down to refresh.

But still, I'm shocked that I'm using a non-Chrome browser. Didn't think that would ever happen, but I've been with it for about six months and loving it

jokkir

So S8+ or V30? I just got the S8+ last week and love it but seems to jank more than my S7 somehow.

Any other people who had the S8+ long comment on any issues few months in?

So S8+ or V30? I just got the S8+ last week and love it but seems to jank more than my S7 somehow.

Keep the S8. I have a Note 8 Port (Android 7.1.1) on mine and man is it smooth... When the S8 gets Android 8 it will be even better.

NeOak

What did you install?

I've had it since before launch and it has no jank at all.

My s8+ came Tuesday.

No case. I use a ring holder stuck on the back and have a soft case when I carry it around.

Playing around with Nova Prime.
I need to find a nice apps drawer Icon, using a default download pic for now.

I like the edge panel so a clean home is fine because my 10 favorite apps can pop up on the side with a swipe.

Greye

Anybody with silver can tell me if it looks nice in person? Didn't really dig the grey/light purple one in person. The black I don't like.
I had the black one but send it back for the silver one. Loving it still. The back is shiny but in a stylish way. The silver sides also show off the design better than black. The curves and lines are much more visible. Best colour imo.

Iris scanning can be useful if your hands are wet or something. But after getting used to the placement of the finger print sensor, I've found it to be better overall. In fact, I now think the new placement is better than the old one.

I found the Iris scanner is a useful gimmick for a small set of circumstances. Though its just easier to use the fingerprint sensor. Even more so because I use glasses and I've found that the Iris sensor is pretty unreliable when I have them on (which is 100% of the time)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

The nicest color is the coral blue that I have. Looks awesome.

Top Bottom