• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Just picked up the s8 plus for myself and the s8 for my wife yesterday at superstore's Mobile kiosk.

We received the s8 for free, $50 off the s8 plus making it only $50, plus $250 in pc plus points which will help pay the entirety of our early upgrade fees since we always shop there mostly for groceries. So I'd say that worked out pretty damn well.

Ordered cases from Amazon last night and have everything all set up to our liking. This phone is such a gorgeous piece of tech!

Izuna

Banned
Pretty sure YouTube HDR was added.

It wasn't, but the tech media are incompetent as ever.

I made this post in another thread, I'll post it again. The thing is, to anyone who really cares about HDR would be able to tell that it isn't working.

--

Finally able to address this, which is bumming me out.

Tl;Dr, it doesn't work and sadly the whole Internet thinks it does...

Here's an easy way to test. (by the way, the misinformation is literally everywhere right now, news sites don't know what HDR should look like so everyone is reporting it works even though it doesn't)

Compare this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74SZXCQb44s (which says it is in HDR) to this https://mega.nz/#!04RHHIDb!CwgrAPyRv5SZ3WOSgDxqbHrDbJWavh8RBeZXVMIbaiM (mega.nz link)

They are supposed to be the same video but the colours are different. It's converted SDR to real HDR.

Two strange things happen that suggest HDR is working with YouTube, which is it changing your brightness and not letting you crop the video... But neither of these things are a real limitation of HDR on the S8. This is a bug with the YouTube app.

It's fun to see the Verge being as incompetent as ever, however. By and large, there is no indication that this works.

Imo, reporters probably have Video Enhancer turned on and are just going "wow, much pop"

Izuna

Banned
Like, my concern is that the YouTube app will never be updated to really enable HDR since everyone seems convinced it is working. It's very annoying.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish we'd get a browser update for Samsung.

Yes yes I know the Beta channel exists. Still redonkulous that it's been months since the last stable update.

As a Nexus diehard who reluctantly bought this thing last week...

...this phone is goddamn great. I'm honestly shocked by how far Samsung has come. Best piece of phone hardware I've ever used, without question. And TouchWiz isn't nearly as terrible as it once was (though I've still opted to use Nova Launcher to basically replicate the Pixel interface).

But we'll see what it's like a year from now. That will be the true test.

rc213

Update is out for T-Mobile Galaxy S8/Plus

400MB August Security patch stil 7.0 Android.

As long as it doesn't mess with my battery I'm fine waiting until they hash out the bugs in Android 8.0. Coming up on 2 months and battery is still a beast, Only nag is those damn ugly Samsung emojis.

Feep

Banned
Just got one of these phones for work.

Straight up hottest phone I've ever seen. I miss the fingerprint sensor on my Nexus 5X, but other than that, *wow*.

Entroyp

Well.. I finally switched to Android after 7 years on IOS. I'm liking it so far.

Anyone knows how to fix the "please try again later or try an alternative connection" Netflix error?

Strakt

My current homescreen

L6lp8Mc.jpg

kirblar

After more digging into what the phone has to offer.

What is up with most of the comments on Bixby being so negative?

These 2 cry babies as example

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/19/15998258/samsung-bixby-voice-galaxy-s8-review
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/16326636/samsung-bixby-button-bloatware

This looks like a case of being reasonable and fair doesn't move the needle.
You need an article with a hot take and then work your way backward with BS or argument by anecdote.
Now that you're able to disable most of it, it's not a big deal (we just need an integrated button remap) but I would agree that it's annoying and I don't understand who it's for when Google's functionality is already passively handing so many things.

Picked up an S8+ yesterday at Best Buy with the sweet, sweet 150 dollars in beautiful Coral Blue!

Love the phone. My goodness.

So, everyone hates Bixby? Looks like it's a good thing you can final disable it. :)

That latest update with the TMobile version is causing some slow downs.... Some Apps don't load properly and I have to close and reopen them. If i have 3 open, the phone slows down to a screening halt. My performance rating is that's at ..100/100. Haven't downloaded any new apps either.

Apps I use the most....
Chrome
Facebook
Instagram
Snapchat
Outlook
Inbox
Usbank

But still.. I didn't have this issue before the update now my phone is fucking shitting the bed lol

Edit: forgot to mention Spotify .. aftet this update I can no longer connect to my receiver.. some bullshit lol.. :((((😔

You may have to reset your phone as a last resort then. Usually you should after a big update. I would see if you can figure it out first then reset if all else fails.

I tried searching the thread but couldn't find anything so I'm hoping someone can help.

It seems like since the last T-Mobile update my MMS photos aren't being received by the other person. I send them and it looks like it sends but the other person never gets it. They're on an iPhone 8 on T-mobile as well. I can't quite figure out the problem. Anyone run into anything similar?

Treo360

I tried searching the thread but couldn't find anything so I'm hoping someone can help.

It seems like since the last T-Mobile update my MMS photos aren't being received by the other person. I send them and it looks like it sends but the other person never gets it. They're on an iPhone 8 on T-mobile as well. I can't quite figure out the problem. Anyone run into anything similar?
might be a tmo issue. I had that this weekend, and I'm on a unlocked version of a note 8, but also tried this on my tmo s8+ too.

There is a problem somewhere, there was an article earlier this week saying that some S8's are not receiving text messages.

Link.

tommyguns

So I took a new position at work and I get a work phone. Had the option between the iPhone 7 and the galaxy S8.

I took to galaxy S8. Will be here Monday. My personal phone is an iPhone so i thought why not mess around with the galaxy. (The hardware is what made me choose it. I love android but don't love samsung extra layer of changes.)

Excited to use it though!

kirblar

So I took a new position at work and I get a work phone. Had the option between the iPhone 7 and the galaxy S8.

I took to galaxy S8. Will be here Monday. My personal phone is an iPhone so i thought why not mess around with the galaxy. (The hardware is what made me choose it. I love android but don't love samsung extra layer of changes.)

Excited to use it though!
You have chosen wisely. Gets you the best of both ecosystems.

I couldn't stop myself. S8+

Got it off Swappa new for $570 on Thurs. And actually coming today when I expected Mon.

The sim card swap and moving the files and apps seems like it should go smooth.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any functional differences between the 8 and 8+? In the UK they have an offer for a free Gear VR but if they’re similar I think I’d prefer the 8 which is closer in size to my current 6s

Iphone X is also still tempting but is £330 more expensive..

Any functional differences between the 8 and 8+? In the UK they have an offer for a free Gear VR but if they’re similar I think I’d prefer the 8 which is closer in size to my current 6s

Iphone X is also still tempting but is £330 more expensive..

S8+ has a bigger, longer lasting battery. That's it.

There is a problem somewhere, there was an article earlier this week saying that some S8's are not receiving text messages.

Link.

Well, I figured out what my problem was. Turned out to be a T-Mobile issue with Digits. I had to call CS and get them to turn it off and remove the multiple devices setting and that seems to have fixed my MMS problems.

Shipment delay for till Monday for whatever reason.

TENN post office accepted it Thursday morning but it didn't get sent to Indiana till Saturday morning.

To show how good USPS usually is. I got a Spigen thing the same day and that is only First-Class and from California and that will be here Monday.

Top Bottom