• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Luxury" music festival organised by Ja Rule turns into Lord of the Flies sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6467

I'm always willing to hear contrary evidence, but it seems to me that it would've been a lot of work to pull off. Who brings a legal pad to a music festival and write 6 pages of semi-coherent organizing notes in the middle of a clusterfuck?

I'm inclined to believe it's real. The people I feel worst for are whatever middle management they had who undoubtedly were told to "make it happen." Trying to coordinate that with the resources they had, knowing damn well there was no way to do ANY of it, much less get through one night had to have been stressful as fuck.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
igGZ0zh.jpg

EpNTCvB.png

delish

gutshot

According the website, the cheapest ticket was $5,600... I don't know where this $500 figure came from.

The most expensive was $30,000.

It's from this write-up. http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/fyre-festival-instagram-bahamas-ja-rule-models

Kids had travelled all across America to be here. They’d spent all their money and had nowhere to stay. Yet, despite all the talk of the incredible ticket prices, I didn’t meet many people who had paid more than $1,500 for the weekend, most of them having nabbed "early bird" $500 tickets - which perhaps explained why the festival was in so much financial difficulty, and why Fyre were so keen to flog upgrades to people once out there.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Wow and this comes right after the Electric Sun Desert Music Festival fiasco where 18 people died and many more were hospitalised due to bad vapes.

Crazy times we live in.

I'm inclined to believe it's real. The people I feel worst for are whatever middle management they had who undoubtedly were told to "make it happen." Trying to coordinate that with the resources they had, knowing damn well there was no way to do ANY of it, much less get through one night had to have been stressful as fuck.
Me too. You don't come up with such refined unadulterated bullshit like "Assess key sociodemographic trends of our group to identify factors that could affect purchasing habits" while scrambling around for a disaster tent.

I heard a bit about this on the news, but wasn't really paying attention. After reading this thread this whole situation sounds like a new early access steam survival game.

mackattk

welp, they came close....good effort at least!

VZWmgaE.png

I wonder when the locals will be able to dig up that $1,000,000 in treasure that will be left behind...

depths20XX

How did they let it get to the point where they had people flown out there when it was clear nothing was prepared? What a joke.

PillarEN

Wow and this comes right after the Electric Sun Desert Music Festival fiasco where 18 people died and many more were hospitalised due to bad vapes.

Crazy times we live in.

Wowza. 18 people died from bad vapes? How does that even happen. You see vapes all over today like they were candy.

Hylian7

I'm not really understanding the logic behind "Fuck all these people that got scammed, I hope they don't get anything back, this is funny to watch them be in this dangerous situation."

While the shitshow itself is funny, I don't really think it's funny that the people got scammed. This certainly looks like it seemed legit at some point, obviously not the case once they got there. I agree the ticket prices are absurd, but I don't think that's a reason to say "fuck these people, they deserve to lose the $12,000 they paid."

Blader

I'm not really understanding the logic behind "Fuck all these people that got scammed, I hope they don't get anything back, this is funny to watch them be in this dangerous situation."

While the shitshow itself is funny, I don't really think it's funny that the people got scammed. This certainly looks like it seemed legit at some point, obviously not the case once they got there. I agree the ticket prices are absurd, but I don't think that's a reason to say "fuck these people, they deserve to lose the $12,000 they paid."

There are cons and then there's this. Really, how stupid do you have to be lay down $12,000 for a ticket to go to an unheard of festival, in a remote location?

gutshot

There are cons and then there's this. Really, how stupid do you have to be lay down $12,000 for a ticket to go to an unheard of festival, in a remote location?

It's entirely possible no one actually paid $12k though. It seems most paid between $500-$1500. And the Bahamas isn't exactly remote. It's a pretty well-known vacation spot.

Hylian7

While I agree, I still don't think that makes it okay to say "fuck these people" like they did something malicious. Stupid? Yes, but I think saying "I hope they lose everything" is wrong IMO.

AlexBasch

Influencer is such a marketing term. It rubs me so wrong.
I work at the "showbiz" section of a newspaper, and it irks me when "singers" and whatnot introduce themselves as "influencers" when they come to do interviews. Yeah, it rubs me the wrong way too. I know plastic pop is something that has existed forever, but when they're blatantly promoting themselves like that it's annoying.

Now, back on topic, the sandwich picture is amazing. Describes so many things in just one image. Italian meal GAF meme wasn't so bad, I mean, aside from being overpriced, not deluxe stuff, but a sad sandwich in a styrofoam container? Jesus.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
In reading this thread I suddenly realized "you know, I bet my cousin went to this thing, I should probably call home and find out." She's an Instagram influencer who happens to be half-Bahamian, so it only makes logical sense that she would be there (probably on someone else's dime).

Called home and YUP. Not only was she there but her brother was too. smh

Blader

It's entirely possible no one actually paid $12k though. It seems most paid between $500-$1500. And the Bahamas isn't exactly remote. It's a pretty well-known vacation spot.

I know the festival is actually not that far from a resort, but wasn't it being billed as happening on a private island?

While I agree, I still don't think that makes it okay to say "fuck these people" like they did something malicious. Stupid? Yes, but I think saying "I hope they lose everything" is wrong IMO.

Sure, I don't think these people should die starving and destitute, or something. I just can't really sympathize, either. I cannot imagine the mental processes needed to justify going to this thing, especially if the 12k ticket price is legit.

RedShift

I went to a music festival headlined by Blink-182 once. It wasn't great but it cost me significantly less than twelve grand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom