• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Luxury" music festival organised by Ja Rule turns into Lord of the Flies sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakoo

Just FYI a lot of the tickets were sold at $500 for a flight and three days of accommodations. This isn't really some uber-elite thing; 500 bucks is genuinely cheap for all that.

Probably part of the reason they ran out of money.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/fyre-festival-instagram-bahamas-ja-rule-models

Yep, exactly while I feel like all the "dog pile on the elites!" posts are obnoxious in this thread. Just become something is marketed as luxury doesn't mean that it actually is.

It's definitely pretty funny, and "caveat emptor" and all that but I still feel for the people that were conned.

gutshot

Yeah, you have to wonder if they were counting on the whales to compensate for the cheap tickets and then got fucked when nobody actually sprang for the $200,000 packages lol.

I think that is exactly what happened. That @FyreFraud Twittter has been documenting the lack of funds for several weeks now. And instead of the organizers realizing they didn't have the funds to pull this off and cancelling/postponing it ahead of time, they decided to try to do it all on the cheap and you can see the results.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm from The Bahamas and this is a goddamn embarrassment. I wonder if this was on the organizers or on us.

Edited to add this:

Not sure when it was posted/said but it's what makes me think it's partially our fault lol.
If the organizers weren't paying artists weeks ahead then you can be fairly certain this is the organizers fault.

I can't even feel bad for these people. Reading about this from articles before all this happened it seemed like a fraud from the get go.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
If this is a stone's throw away from a luxury resort, I would just book a room until I managed to get off the island and include that cost in my lawsuit.

A lot can happen in a stone's throw. Before you know it, you're in a real life Green Inferno/Island of Dr. Moreau situation.

Jakoo

We Fallout now.

C-fh3pFUIAAO0eh.jpg:large

C-fCvcWUAAATJw7.jpg:large

I'm pretty sure half of that subreddit is trolls btw.

Gorillaz

I thought The 49ers were going to be the only organization to be in the running for successfully fleecing people this year

Nice work Ja

Jakoo

Seriously. How stupid can you be to pay that much for something backed by ja rule of all people.

I mean I doubt they advertised that Ja Rule was pulling the strings in the marketing materials.

I'm not sure if people really think about who is the corporate sponsor of the likes of Bonnaroo or Coachella.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I love the organizer's notebook they found, especially the To Do list (reorganized by assigned priority):

"1 - Complete our corporate application to HOPEFULLY short order"
"2 - At LEAST gather pricing/packages"
"3 - Work on Excel sheet" (followed by a page of doing a spreadsheet by hand)
"4 - Start thinking about ticket situation for mainstage Sunday"
"5 - Start designing storefront"
"6 - Head to site at some point"
"7 - Think about product placement throughout storefront"

The kicker... the date on the To Do list was just 2 week ago. I pray this "organizer" was far removed from organization, but the other pages say probably not. Reads like a guy who flunked out of business school but learned enough jargon to fake it.

Bullshit. Your notebook proves the circumstances were entirely your own fault.

Here's my fav image from that organizer's diary that WNF IV found on the ground.

Slacker

Looks like a fantasy camp to get that authentic refugee experience. Anyone know the scope of this thing? How many people showed up? And now many slices of kraft cheese singles were opened by their celebrity chef?

I would easily choose a weekend with juggalos than a bunch of venture capitalists and "influencers" and people who would shell out $12,000 for a "luxury festival"

Luckily it looks like no one wanted to pay $12k, so you would just be with people dumb enough to think they would get what was advertised after only paying $500.

Fisty

It gives me life to think that these folks paid thousands of dollars to live like a Haitian refugee for a few days.

Is Ja Rule the new Shia?

I would easily choose a weekend with juggalos than a bunch of venture capitalists and "influencers" and people who would shell out $12,000 for a "luxury festival"

Yeah. The juggalos have been gathering without logistical issues for a while. They might stab each other once in a while but at least there's beer and Faygo

Jakoo

Yeah. The juggalos have been gathering without logistical issues for a while. They might stab each other once in a while but at least there's beer and Faygo

Lol you know that festival is probably one of Faygo's biggest orders of the year, they wouldn't dare screw up that order!

Eidan

Jesus. Who did they hire to manage this event? I've never heard of a musical festival being so thoroughly botched.

Is there any reason to believe that the organizer's notebook is legit?
I'm always willing to hear contrary evidence, but it seems to me that it would've been a lot of work to pull off. Who brings a legal pad to a music festival and write 6 pages of semi-coherent organizing notes in the middle of a clusterfuck?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Luckily it looks like no one wanted to pay $12k, so you would just be with people dumb enough to think they would get what was advertised after only paying $500.

According the website, the cheapest ticket was $5,600... I don't know where this $500 figure came from.

The most expensive was $30,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom