• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Luxury" music festival organised by Ja Rule turns into Lord of the Flies sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

His corny thug with a soft side routine and his voice made him popular with the teenage / college girl crowd which is what you had to target back then to sell millions.

EVERY WITTLE TINGY DAT CHOO DOOOOOO... MURRRDERRRRR

To be fair that is still the path to success. Look at Chainsmokers, Khalid, and a lot of other pop acts that are basically just writing songs for high school kids.

Donos

Never been to a music festival worthy of note. If this is the worst "luxury" festival, is there an example of a good one?

If you are into dnb, sun and bass is the best you can do....

Edit:nvm.scratch that. Overread the "luxury" part. SaB is not luxury although most people rent houses (villas) there or book hotels.

riotous

Banned
To be fair that is still the path to success. Look at Chainsmokers, Khalid, and a lot of other pop acts that are basically just writing songs for high school kids.

Definitely true; I think it was at it's peak at that point though. It was the age of Hansen for instance; boy bands were massive too. Still a smart move to target that demo but it was by far the largest (12-17 year old girls) in the late 90s. I think things are a little different now with streaming service subscribers being one of the main revenue sources.

Definitely true; I think it was at it's peak at that point though. It was the age of Hansen for instance; boy bands were massive too. Still a smart move to target that demo but it was by far the largest (12-17 year old girls) in the late 90s. I think things are a little different now with streaming service subscribers being one of the main revenue sources.
I don't know that the demographics of the music industry really change that much. Just the distribution methods. People are always having kids, and those crappy kids grow up in a decade and a half to love crappy pop music of the day.

Then you always have the previous gen of crappy kids complaining about the current pop trash and there's some subcurrent wherein music styled after 20+ year old music is popular.

Ploid 3.0

Just haven't brought him back yet.

I think with Fast 9, it's time to bring back Lucas Black, Bow Wow and Eva Mendes.

IN FACT, let's just go back to Tokyo with the whole current cast.

Yeah I'd like a new Japan FnF to bring the franchise back to reality. City racing, night lights, coastal and forest off-road scenes if they want.

Jag

I took my mom to the Desert Trip last year in Indio and had a wonderful experience.

I think the whole weekend was about $2000 including hotel and food, and I got to see Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, The Who and Roger Waters (Pink Floyd).

I'd say that's a good one.

I was there too. It was pretty awesome and worthwhile.

Steejee

I took my mom to the Desert Trip last year in Indio and had a wonderful experience.

I think the whole weekend was about $2000 including hotel and food, and I got to see Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, The Who and Roger Waters (Pink Floyd).

I'd say that's a good one.

$2000 to see that set of acts in CA makes sense and I'd be all for

$500 (or $15000, or whatever most people actually ended up paying) for a private island event headlined by fucking Blink 182 is not-a-chance-in-hell

JZA

img_2252xwurq.jpg

Glad they left that gap for staff to get behind the concierge desk, great design choice.

riotous

Banned
I don't know that the demographics of the music industry really change that much. Just the distribution methods. People are always having kids, and those crappy kids grow up in a decade and a half to love crappy pop music of the day.

Well it was who was actually directly buying the most music back then; I worked in a CD store in 1997 which was a bit before the peak but it was still a boom time for CD purchasing. The managers liked to pretend they were big shot music industry executives and talked about the industry a lot. Particularly during the Christmas shopping season when they'd force us to play boy bands and pop all day they'd shove it down our throats that teenaged girls were why we had jobs.

Music industry of course still focuses a lot on the younger demo because as you say they'll be the future purchasers/subscribers but they are no longer the actual #1 demo bringing in direct revenue like they once were.

Linkura

Ja Rule trying to do damage control or some shit?

http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/01/fyre-festival-cheese-sandwich-photo-food-tents/
The Fyre Festival's now notorious sandwich photo was the staff lunch and guests actually got awesome food ... so claim sources connected to festival organizers.
We're told guests were served chicken, pasta, burgers and fries and salad ... not just a gnarly cheese sandwich. As for breakfast ... donuts, waffles and coffee.

Meanwhile the "picture" proof looks worse than our $30 Italian meal.

Tom_Cody

lol I just learned that Ja Rule got offered $15k to star in the first Fast & the Furious movie. He got offered $500k to reprise his role in the sequel, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and he refused. They wanted to make him a recurring character.

The director of 2 Fast 2 Furious, John Singleton:

Ja got too big for himself. He turned it down. He turned down a half a million dollars. He got 15 grand to be in the first movie. He was really big at that time. I guess Murder Inc. was throwing out hits and were making money hand over foot. He was acting like he was too big to be in the sequel. He wouldn't return calls. I went to the studio to go see him — that's just my mantra, I deal with a lot of music people. He was kinda playing me to the side and I was like, ‘What? What is this shit?' This was all initiated by me. I then made a call. I called Ludacris.
bZmWFbG.jpg

Koomaster

Hope that isn't some form of damage control because that's still far away from a gourmet meal. Also that breakfast sounds about as good as a free 'continental breakfast' you get from staying at a motel. You shouldn't be talking up a breakfast like that or a meal so poor if you're charging hundreds thousands for the tickets for this stuff.

Linkura

More "damage control" on TMZ: Lawyers for the Fyre Festival have sent a C&D to a would-be concertgoer, saying their postings about what happened could produce ""incite violence, rioting or civil unrest."

And there was this warning ... "If someone innocent does get hurt as a result [of your postings] Fyre Festival will hold you accountable and responsible," adding, "Inciting violence crosses the line."
http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/01/fyre-festival-riots-violence-lawsuit/

Do they not realize that blaming everybody else and saying it wasn't as bad as everyone made it seem is only making them look worse?

Loxley

So, the Feds are investigating this whole shitshow now XD

NYT - How the Fyre Music Festival Turned Into an Epic Fail

Yet, speaking on May 2 with unnerved employees at his TriBeCa office — with its $30,000 sound system and frequent fashion-model visitors — Mr. McFarland deflected blame and vowed that Fyre would survive to mount another festival next year. The coverage had been “sensationalized,” he insisted, according to a recording obtained by The New York Times. (Fyre has attributed its cancellation to a combination of factors, including the weather.)

Ja Rule, the rapper and Mr. McFarland’s celebrity business partner, looked on the bright side. “The whole world knows Fyre’s name now,” he said. “This will pass, guys.”

Their company, Fyre Media, however, was already facing the first of more than a dozen lawsuits seeking millions and alleging fraud, breach of contract and more.

The endeavor has also become the focus of a criminal investigation, with federal authorities looking into possible mail, wire and securities fraud, according to a source with knowledge of the matter, who was not authorized to discuss it. The investigation is being conducted by the United States attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York and the F.B.I.; it is being overseen by a prosecutor assigned to the complex frauds and cybercrime unit. (A spokesman for the United States attorney’s office and a spokeswoman for the F.B.I. declined to comment.)

Much, much more at the link - this whole thing was a disaster on an absurd level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom