• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real reason the Fyre festival failed: literal emo witchcraft

johnsmith

remember me
http://www.nme.com/news/music/blink-182-matt-skiba-witchcraft-fyre-festival-2108139

Blink-182‘s Matt Skiba has claimed that he used witchcraft to hex the doomed Fyre festival earlier this summer.

The luxury festival was held in the Bahamas during April with some fans paying upwards of £1,200 for tickets. However, many were left stranded on the island with very basic food and makeshift accommodation.

Blink-182, along with the likes of Skepta, Migos and Disclosure, were booked to perform, but pulled out at the 11th hour. Billy McFarland, who co-founded the event with rapper Ja Rule, has since been charged with fraud.

Alkaline Trio frontman, who joined Blink in 2015, Skiba insists he used “every inch of my energy” to stop “that thing happening”. He told NME: “I had a bad feeling about that event. I consider myself a pagan and a witch. With every inch of my energy I wanted Fyre not to happen. I put all the electricity and energy in my body against that thing happening.”

“I’ve been to the Bahamas before and it’s so crass. You land in Nassau and the whole island is replete with beauty and culture, but there’s a lot of poverty. It is a largely black population then they build these places like Atlantis and The Cove that are walled off.”

“It’s classist and racist and then they decided to park a bunch of yachts with models to show off in front of those poor people, going down there with all your Ferraris and bullshit and yachts.”

Skiba added: “We pulled out for technical and logistical issues and the rest of it crumbled to shit because that’s what it was. It was bullshit. I used my witchy ways and it seemed to work. I’ll take responsibility and everyone can blame me. Shazam. I was on my couch feeling somewhat guilty, but very relieved that I wasn’t there with people stealing from each other.”

“I didn’t want a bunch of people to be marooned on bullshit island… I put all my energy into it not happening because for all the tea in China I didn’t want to be a part of something like that.”

I had no idea Matt Skiba was in blink 182

Vplzk6l.gif

Dynomutt

“I’ve been to the Bahamas before and it’s so crass. You land in Nassau and the whole island is replete with beauty and culture, but there’s a lot of poverty. It is a largely black population then they build these places like Atlantis and The Cove that are walled off.”

LMAO this is every resort in the Caribbean. Now you care...

“It’s classist and racist and then they decided to park a bunch of yachts with models to show off in front of those poor people, going down there with all your Ferraris and bullshit and yachts.”

I hope you mean it.

Fury451

Banned
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how anybody thought blink-182 should highlight a life-changing music festival in 2017

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Those struggle sandwiches sure did look "light as a feather, stiff as a board."

Poppy

yeah yeah pagans are always going on about their witchcraft gobbledegook

look i have a statue of hecate on my altar too but you dont see me sowing salt circles and bragging about it on facebook

Kibbles

I mean fuck new Blink (+44) but does nobody have a sense of humor lol Skiba. Tom and Mark used to talk random bullshit through whole interviews, people treating some throwaway interview comments as news and attacking him are strange...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
giphy.webp

surprised no one posted this yet

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is this when we find out GAF didn't know Blink came out with a new album that went #1?

Arc

blink is as popular as ever. Their new album opened at #1 and they've been headlining festivals in Europe all summer.

That being said I'm glad Matt stepped up to fill the crazy void now that Tom is gone.

¡HarlequinPanic!;243268836 said:
I'm glad Matt Skiba decided to take it upon himself to fill the void in the supernatural nutjob department that Tom's departure left.
Tom was not a supernatural nutjob.

He belived in alien conspiracies. Totally different

see5harp

Yea the Bahamas suck and it's classist and exclusionary but isn't that the case with nearly every large festival in the country? How many broke ass people do you even see at Coachella?

Pejo

Not sure I'm liking this bashing of the best 90s music that's going on in this thread.

Skiba's a trip. I actually saw him with Blink a few months ago, it was enjoyable enough for a pop punk show still. I was surprised how packed the amphitheater was.

Top Bottom