• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT3| Positivity, Confidence, and Not Being a "Nice" Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combine

Banned
No, this is not true at all. To some people it may come naturally, but for many others including myself it's been a huge work in progress and years of trying before results. You have to drop this mentality of anxiety being your obstacle like Mr. City mentioned if you ever want to get anywhere.
The trouble has been for me though, that anxiety not only has been a mental obstacle, but a physical one as well. When my own body becomes physically affected by symptoms which come close to panic attacks (trouble breathing, chest pains, nervous twitches, feeling lightheaded or nauseous) then that's just another thing I have going against me. I know I need to find a way to drop anxiety altogether (and the meds and therapy I've been going to have helped a bit), but that seems like such a long road that'll take years.
I took a piece of looseleaf paper, and wrote down one of my favorite quotes, and hung it up on my wall: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". When I look back on my life, it's ok if I failed in some aspects, but knowing that I didn't give my best effort would be inexcusable.
I definitely cannot look at myself and say I did my best with regards to many things. After all, there is not much I've been able to find about myself that is something that can be viewed in a positive light.
I've seen you post in this thread before and I've noticed some people have stopped giving you advice. I know anxiety/depression can be hard, with first hand experience in both of those categories, but you're going to let that stop you? I've seen you say in this thread that you enjoy playing video games. My advice: go a week without gaming. Devote the time you would have spent in your safe bubble out in the real world; a book store, coffee shop, staying active.
It's hard for me to go without gaming since that is one of the only things that can calm my mind when I'm flooded with anxiety/depression/stress, especially in the evenings after a day of work when I'm so stressed out and tired. Though, it sounds like a lot of my fatigue may be due to the medications I'm taking as well. Being active has also been difficult, as I've had less and less free time lately. I try to stay active with my weight training but it's been hard. And that also hasn't been something that has helped me become more "out there" or whatever. Why would I go to a book store when I do not read books, or a coffee shop when I do not drink coffee anyway?

On the subject of conversation, the problem for me anyway, is that the conversation just dies very quickly. Like, I can possibly get to a point where I've managed to get a few back and forths done, but after that, awkward silence. I run out of things to talk about, basically. I certainly do not have anything that interesting to talk about. It's not gone well when I've tried to talk about myself in the past. And of course, all this is after I can manage to come up with something to even talk about to begin with. Usually though, it takes so long for me to come up with anything at all, by the time I've even got something, girl has moved on or it seems like too much time has passed (if eye-contact or other contact has been made).

mcrae

Yup. I'm a 25 year old virgin. You got me. Just could never get past hand holding.

You're kind of a fucking asshole.

if you honestly think shes just in it to get laid, theres nothing wrong with fucking her and ignoring her. or not ignoring her. im all for fucking her, though. you said shes in it to get laid. you can't backpedal now and say that you'd feel guilty if you had sex with her because of her feelings.

theres nothing wrong with sex for sex's sake, if both parties know thats all it is.

Mahonay

Banned
if you honestly think shes just in it to get laid, theres nothing wrong with fucking her and ignoring her. or not ignoring her. im all for fucking her, though. you said shes in it to get laid. you can't backpedal now and say that you'd feel guilty if you had sex with her because of her feelings.

theres nothing wrong with sex for sex's sake, if both parties know thats all it is.
I'm already good with the situation.

Just not very happy with threenote being disrespectful to me in this advice thread. Guess I should have known better to post something personal here if that's the maturity level to expect.

Minamu

I'm already good with the situation.

Just not very happy with threenote being disrespectful to me in this advice thread. Guess I should have known better to post something personal here.
He has a point though :) It's okay to post personal stuff, we all do. I'd translate "ignore her" as "having a life of your own and not worry about it, for it does you no good, ever". So what if you haven't talked to this woman for a month, she obviously has a life of her own to worry about. In the long run it doesn't mean anything. Take it one day at a time. Go have fun with her. If that's all it is, big deal. You win nothing from feeling like a man whore, nor does this make you one.

Mahonay

Banned
He has a point though :) It's okay to post personal stuff, we all do. I'd translate "ignore her" as "having a life of your own and not worry about it, for it does you no good, ever". So what if you haven't talked to this woman for a month, she obviously has a life of her own to worry about. In the long run it doesn't mean anything. Take it one day at a time. Go have fun with her. If that's all it is, big deal. You win nothing from feeling like a man whore, nor does this make you one.
Haha, thanks duders for the advice I appreciate it but I am totally ok with it now. Honest! Going to go on that date and have a great time.

Just took offense to his tone is all. The internet. Serious business.

Decado

A shit. I foolishly decided to write a text now that I intended to send later (when I may not have time to compose even a brief text). Problem is I hit send by accident. It asks her about something that hasn't happened yet. :\

I have not been "on" this year.

A shit. I foolishly decided to write a text now that I intended to send later (when I may not have time to compose even a brief text). Problem is I hit send by accident. It asks her about something that hasn't happened yet. :\

:lol Ohhh shit! Bet you burned bright red after you did that huh?

soultron

Banned

Shit happens. Live and learn.

Decado

:lol Ohhh shit! Bet you burned bright red after you did that huh?
lol. I frantically tried to cancel the send (not sure if that's even possible). Felt like I was in some sort of goofy TV show and it was slow mo. I didn't bother following up with another note. No point highlighting my mistake.

I find with women, particularly within the first few dates, shit like that tends to screw you over. I'm particularly annoyed with myself 'cause I rather like this one. We'll see how it goes.

mcrae

lol. I frantically tried to cancel the send (not sure if that's even possible). Felt like I was in some sort of goofy TV show and it was slow mo. I didn't bother following up with another note. No point highlighting my mistake.

I find with women, particularly within the first few dates, shit like that tends to screw you over. I'm particularly annoyed with myself 'cause I rather like this one. We'll see how it goes.

how long was this text that you wouldn't have time sending it later? i understand thinking ahead of time what you're going to say, but physically typing it can't take too long. wanna post it?

So, I've been seeing two girls for the past 2 weeks or so, I started talking to one about a week earlier than the other. I'm starting to get to caught up in both of them and I need to break it off with one and "officially" date the other. My problem is I can't decide which I want to break it off with. They are both amazing people, its just that I cant keep up with both considering my situation; it's just getting too hard.

Is there any way to make this decision easier?

zethren

Banned
So, I've been seeing two girls for the past 2 weeks or so, I started talking to one about a week earlier than the other. I'm starting to get to caught up in both of them and I need to break it off with one and "officially" date the other. My problem is I can't decide which I want to break it off with. They are both amazing people, its just that I cant keep up with both considering my situation; it's just getting too hard.

Which one are you happiest with?

Which one annoys you the most?

Hylian7

I got an Android phone the other day (will get to activate it tonight), but I've been messing with it over Wifi for the last few days. I installed the OKCupid app for the hell of it. I was looking at the stuff it has available. The "Broadcast" feature sounds kind of cool. Seems like the idea of HowAboutWe.com, just actually executed better and not charging you money to use the fucking messaging system. Do people actually use this though? That would obviously make or break it.

Just remember this, MutantCyborg. You'll either end up with one or you'll end up with none.

If you're equally attracted to both girls then why not toss a coin? Let mere 50/50 probability decide for you.

snoopen

Anyone else have a lot of girls making eye contact when walking around in public? I've tried to cut back as it makes me feel a bit creepy.. However I seem to be getting a lot of it and they only look away when I break it and they smile.

got a pretty weird message on okc today

upon asking if that was good or bad...

I think she might be on acid
Haha. That is pretty crazy.

I would've replied back with:

"Well shit. All the girls that I've ever been with love it when I absorb them with my flesh."

Or something odd along those lines.

Just remember this, MutantCyborg. You'll either end up with one or you'll end up with none.

If you're equally attracted to both girls then why not toss a coin? Let mere 50/50 probability decide for you.

This is exactly what a friend suggested but I don't think I want to flip a coin to decide this. I guess pro/con lists it is!

Cubsfan23

Banned

you can't go more than 2 weeks of dating multiple people?

threenote

Banned
I took my GF's virginity a couple months ago, and I want to break up with her because she's one of those Christians that feels guilty about sex (even though I made her squirt). Anyways, what's the best way to break up with her?

Crisis averted. Great Steak+BJ day.

threenote

Banned

Can't you just tell her the text was intended for someone else? Although, I'm sure you've already considered this.

tumblr_lve6qr3XhJ1qeqh4eo7_400.jpg

I hate my anxiety sometimes. Bear in mind, this applies to everyone not texting me back, not just girls. Of course, with girls it does get magnified, haha.

::is not partying on spring break but is instead doing boring shit like changing his car's oil::

Everyone knows that good Christian girls take it in the butt so they can stay pure :/

Ok, I just felt wrong typing that. I'm not jaded like you people.
I'm not a fan of anal sex or Christian girls so I guess I'm not missing out on anything at this current moment in time.

...can't wait to move somewhere that's a little bit more progressive

I'm not a fan of anal sex or Christian girls so I guess I'm not missing out on anything at this current moment in time.

...can't wait to move somewhere that's a little bit more progressive

How is it that there are no girls in your area that are neither super-religious or pro-vaginal sex? Come on, Atramental.

How is it that there are no girls in your area that are neither super-religious or pro-vaginal sex? Come on, Atramental.
There are but they're all taken or just not interested in me.

Also, I'm kind of putting the whole hooking-up/dating thing on hold at the moment. I really need to save up all my money so I can eventually move to a state that isn't apart of "dumbfuckistan".

Anyone else have a lot of girls making eye contact when walking around in public? I've tried to cut back as it makes me feel a bit creepy.. However I seem to be getting a lot of it and they only look away when I break it and they smile.

This actually happens to me quite a bit. I know it's a sign of interest, but I'm terrible at breaking that barrier and actually communicating back with them.

There are but they're all taken or just not interested in me.

Also, I'm kind of putting the whole hooking-up/dating thing on hold at the moment. I really need to save up all my money so I can eventually move to a state that isn't apart of "dumbfuckistan".

What state are you in again? Are you in a small town or a big city?

Grow out your hair, buy a gray suit and white shirt, and be moody and depressed all the time. Women will flock to you to find out what is wrong with this despondent disaffected looking man.

Joe

What are your guys opinions on trying to get with a sort-of-ex's friend?

Context: we met a few years ago, we never officially dated. All we did was hang out at my place, watch movies, and sex it up. She was way more into me than I was of her, she had real feelings for me and I really didn't have any for her. Like she would "randomly" drive by my house all the time, and other ultra clingy things - it kind of felt stalkerish. Well one day I abruptly stopped answering her calls and texts (dirtbag move, I know, trust me) and this made her feel like shit. So I made amends and we squashed it all and we're cool now but we never hang out anymore just the occasional friendly text. This all went down a few years ago but we still keep in slight but friendly contact.

Well she will be with her friends at a party this weekend that I am going to as well. I realllyyyy like one of her friends. Would it be fucked up to pursue her?

Further context: my sort-of-ex has had 2 serious boyfriends since we stopped hanging out and is currently in a serious, committed relationship with a guy right now.

Context: we met a few years ago, we never officially dated. All we did was hang out at my place, watch movies, and sex it up. She was way more into me than I was of her, she had real feelings for me and I really didn't have any for her. Like she would "randomly" drive by my house all the time, and other ultra clingy things - it kind of felt stalkerish. Well one day I abruptly stopped answering her calls and texts (dirtbag move, I know, trust me) and this made her feel like shit. So I made amends and we squashed it all and we're cool now but we never hang out anymore just the occasional friendly text. This all went down a few years ago but we still keep in slight but friendly contact.

Well she will be with her friends at a party this weekend that I am going to as well. I realllyyyy like one of her friends. Would it be fucked up to pursue her?

Further context: my sort-of-ex has had 2 serious boyfriends since we stopped hanging out and is currently in a serious, committed relationship with a guy right now.

No, go for it if your ex's friend isn't weirded out.

What state are you in again? Are you in a small town or a big city?
I live in South Carolina and I don't know how I would classify Greenville. I guess it's a small city.

Grow out your hair, buy a gray suit and white shirt, and be moody and depressed all the time. Women will flock to you to find out what is wrong with this despondent disaffected looking man.
I don't really see that working.

Plus, I'm kind of creepy looking due to my pale skin and sunken in sleep deprived eyes. I don't want to further amplify my creepiness by looking like an old disheveled man that looks like death warmed over.

I live in South Carolina and I don't know how I would classify Greenville. I guess it's a small city.

I don't really see that working.

Plus, I'm kind of creepy looking due to my pale skin and sunken in sleep deprived eyes. I don't want to further amplify my creepiness by looking like an old disheveled man that looks like death warmed over.

Hey man. Some girls are into that. Your pale skin and sleep deprived eyes aren't creepy, they are disaffected, haunted. Like the non-lame version of Edward from Twilight or something.

Joe

No, go for it if your ex's friend isn't weirded out.
Thanks for the opinion man, appreciate it!

Reposting for new page (sorry!):

Hylian7

So remember my awkward OKC-related moment from last night? Well I just had one that tops that.....

I just realized I messaged a girl on OKC that I see all the time in real life, somehow I didn't recognize her because her OKC pic was weird. FUCK. (She never responded)

mcrae

So remember my awkward OKC-related moment from last night? Well I just had one that tops that.....

I just realized I messaged a girl on OKC that I see all the time in real life, somehow I didn't recognize her because her OKC pic was weird. FUCK. (She never responded)

how do you know her in real life?

hipgnosis

Happens to me all the time. I enjoy it, I smile and they smile back. It's like a constant mini-flirt. I've had a girl come talk to me at a bar because she remembered me from a shop :D Girls have also randomly complemented my hair and my clothes on the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom