• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

cdyhybrid

Apparently we have hired Baylor co-OC Matt Lubick as WR coach. Don't know anything about him, but apparently he was a coach at Oregon at some point in the past as well?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently we have hired Baylor co-OC Matt Lubick as WR coach. Don't know anything about him, but apparently he was a coach at Oregon at some point in the past as well?

He was Oregon's OC last season.

He was then hired as a WR coach at Ole Miss in late December and as Baylor's co-OC in early January, so Washington will be his 4th job in last 2 months or so.

andycapps

A trip down memory lane before these charges of ACT cheating, paying recruits, LOIC, etc. There are now a total of 21 allegations against The University of Ole Miss.

ekW7wXd.jpg

Who wants us to do a 5 minute podcast of us laughing at Ole Miss?

I halfway want them to murder everyone on their schedule (except Alabama, of course), and for their to be a decent amount of chaos throughout the country next season so they can realize they missed their one shot at a title lmao

andycapps

I think a failure to monitor charge got updated to full on LOIC. They didn't have that on the earlier announcement of charges last year.
Correct. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/at-long-last-ole-miss-changes-defiant-tune-and-at-least-partially-admits-wrong-023147276.htmlThis Bruce Feldman article on it is really good.

That’s 21 alleged violations. By a school that spent years insisting it was simply outworking and out-charming everyone on the recruiting trail.

In the process of acknowledging the new allegations, Ole Miss announced a postseason ban for the 2017 season and the forfeiture of nearly $8 million in postseason revenue.

And with that, it was time to own a few things:

The rival SEC schools weren’t making it all up. The national media wasn’t making it all up. The world wasn’t simply out to get Mississippi, out to keep a striver program down, out to protect the established powers of the sport.

No, Ole Miss was cheating.
Multiple boosters and at least one football staff member broke NCAA rules.

And they got caught.

Ole Miss admitted it Wednesday. The school agreed fully with three of the new NCAA allegations, agreed with at least part of a fourth allegation, and stated that it will contest four more. This was all part of a somber, 20-minute video Mississippi produced to break the news, featuring chancellor Jeff Vitter, athletic director Ross Bjork and football coach Hugh Freeze.

Dan Wolken has some interesting information about the media being "carefully cultivated allies" in Ole Miss' media campaign.

The minute that 2013 class was signed with star recruits Robert Nkemdiche, Laquon Treadwell and Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss knew the whispers of impropriety were never going to stop. Skepticism from rival coaching staffs and close scrutiny from the NCAA was a given. Meanwhile, Ole Miss and Freeze very carefully cultivated media allies to help build the narrative there was nothing to hide.

Last year before signing day, Ole Miss leaked to several media members that the allegations weren’t serious, mostly not football. https://t.co/EVWyRGcHuj

— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) February 23, 2017
Ole Miss fans are really mad. They're tweeting Missississssippi State players and wishing them well.

QrcQ7NP.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Consider me shocked.

I mean who would of thought Ole Miss cheated when they randomly got the #1 players from a bunch of key recruiting states out of nowhere.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Fucking Jameis Winston, man.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/02/jameis-winston-elementary-school-speech.html?mid=facebook_thecutblog

Video of the ”motivational" speech was published on the Tampa Bay Times website. ”All my young boys, stand up. The ladies, sit down," he began, off to a rip-roaring start. ”But all my boys, stand up. We strong, right? We strong! We strong, right? All my boys, tell me one time: I can do anything I put my mind to. Now, a lot of boys aren't supposed to be soft-spoken. You know what I'm saying? One day y'all are going to have a very deep voice like this. One day, you'll have a very, very deep voice."

He then went on to add that the ”ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle and not go to the fuckin' cops just because you try to stick your dick in them while they're saying 'no'."
I may have edited that last bit.

cdyhybrid

So Willie Taggart isn't talking to The Oregonian's Nike U beat writer because he reported on the whole practices-sending-kids-to-the-hospital thing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cal wins something!

After five months of matches and up to 2o hours of training a week, the UC Berkeley Overwatch team recently won first place at the Tespa Collegiate Series.

For those unversed in gamer speak, Overwatch is a first-person, objective-based shooting game. It belongs to an emerging genre of competitive gaming called eSports (short for electronic sports).

The team of six UC Berkeley students had been competing in the ongoing Tespa tournament nearly every weekend since October. At UC San Diego on Feb. 19, they beat out Rutgers University and the University of Toronto in the final round to claim victory – and $42,000 in scholarships.

"At first we were just playing for fun," said Geoffrey Cao, a member of the Cal Overwatch team. "But then we kept winning and winning. That was when decided to take this seriously."

The world of electronic sports (eSports) is growing at a rapid rate. Here are some things to expect in 2017: More eSports on National TV Overwatch League More connection between eSports and real sports A big push for fighting games eSports revenue will hit $1 billion

Cao says he and his teammates practice collectively for four to eight hours a week, depending on midterms and assignments.

"They don't practice in-person though," explained team co-coordinator Tiffany Tsay. "They use microphones to converse in the game."

Tsay added that she tries to make them "go out once a month" with one another.

Boomer Sooner

Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield was arrested early Saturday morning in Arkansas.

He was charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and fleeing, according to the Washington County (Arkansas) sheriff's office.

According to the preliminary police report obtained by ESPN.com, a police officer was flagged down to take an assault and battery report at about 2:29 a.m. Saturday. The person who flagged the officer was yelling at Mayfield, who told the officer he had been trying to break up an altercation. The officer asked Mayfield to stay so that he could take his statement, at which point Mayfield began "yelling profanities and causing a scene," according to the report.

The report stated Mayfield had slurred speech, had difficulty walking down stairs and was covered in food on the front of his clothing. According to the report, when the officer asked Mayfield to come over, he began to walk away. When the officer told him to stop, Mayfield sprinted away, which forced the officer to chase him and tackle him to the ground.

The report stated that Mayfield would not place his arms behind his back, despite repeated orders from the officer to do so. Eventually, the office placed him in handcuffs and took him to the Washington County Detention Facility.

So I got bored and started an NCAA dynasty with start of the season rosters (NCAA 14 last PS3 version of the game).

I changed USC's schedule so that they had to play Alabama, the Tide blew them out. But otherwise the schedules are basically the stock schedules from 2013.

The top 10 is pretty interesting:

1. UW 8-0
2. UCLA 8-0
3. Clemson 9-0
4. FSU 7-1 (lost to Clemson)
5. Alabama 7-1 (lost to aTm)
6. Oklahoma 7-1 (ost to Texas)
7. USC 7-1 (lost to Bama 31-8)
8. Miami 7-1 (lost in OT to FSU)
9. Stanford 6-2 (lost to UW and UCLA)
10. Ohio State (lost to Wisconsin and Northwestern in back to back weeks then won 3 straight by a combined 126-13)

The current top 5 for the Heisman
Deshaun Watson Clemson
Curtis Samuel OSU
Leonard Fournette LSU
Jalen Hurts Alabama
Clayton Thorson Northwestern (wut?)

UCLA being unbeaten #2 is probably the most shocking thing in this sim. They were down going into the 4th against the Ducks and then outscored them 24-3.

I have read the first paragraph. I choose to believe this is intentional trolling on Saban's part.

To get to his office during his three-year tenure at Alabama, Lane Kiffin had to walk by a framed picture of Terrence Cody’s game-saving field goal block to beat Kiffin’s 2009 Tennessee team. It became a daily reminder of not just a heartbreaking moment but also a time when the SEC was clearly the nation’s most dominant conference.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Texas lawmakers call for financial sanctions in response to Baylor rape scandal

A group of Democratic state representatives on Monday called for financial sanctions and a criminal investigation into how Baylor University handled widespread allegations of rape against football players and other students in recent years.

"What has happened at Baylor is so far different than any university in the state," said Rep. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio. "We can't stop bad things from happening, but we sure as hell can demand accountability and we sure as hell can demand that people protect our children."

Gutierrez wrote a letter to Abbott asking for a "sizable reduction" in the $10 million in grants that the state sends Baylor "until a thorough investigation is completed, full accountability is realized and concrete measures are in place to make certain that nothing like this ever happens again at Baylor."

Gutierrez also filed a resolution on Friday that would ask Gov. Greg Abbott to request a Texas Rangers investigation into whether the school obstructed justice when responding to reports of rapes by students.

Top Bottom