• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

A pair of leaked pinball table images:

DEuMB5-XYAADQ61.jpg

DEuMB6HWAAEX0tF.jpg

Yes, Kylo's doing the angsty kneeling knight pose.

sphagnum

Banned
Sorry for the double post but I just realized that in the bottom left corner you can see
the porgs
! I think that's our first clear look at them.

Enthus

So what's the running total for new trooper types in TLJ? I collect trooper stuff, and I was hoping this movie wouldn't be as expensive for me as TFA and RO, but it's looking like there are just as many new ones as those films.

Is this all of them?:
Hammer Trooper
Storm Trooper (New Frown in helmet)
Praetorian (at least 3 variations)
Walker Driver
Shuttle Pilot

Gleethor

So what's the running total for new trooper types in TLJ? I collect trooper stuff, and I was hoping this movie wouldn't be as expensive for me as TFA and RO, but it's looking like there are just as many new ones as those films.

Is this all of them?:
Hammer Trooper
Walker Driver
Shuttle Pilot
Rian Johnson is also introducing the new Looper Trooper

Is this all of them?:
Hammer Trooper
Walker Driver
Shuttle Pilot

Making Star Wars said there were at 6-8 variations of the Praetorian Guard though their helmets and weapons are the only difference.

Rian on the opening crawl:

Los Angeles Times said:
”I realized as I was refining it what he meant. We didn't finish the opening crawl and totally lock it until a few weeks ago actually. Because you're like, ‘Do we need this word, do we need that word, what if we shift.' It's like a poem, there's very little room for error in trying to get it just right. Which is awesome, it's really fun."

But was there a particular phrase or word he was most proud to sneak into the first moments of ”The Last Jedi"?

”It would be funny if it was ‘poop,'" he said with a grin. ”Which is a first for the ‘Star Wars' universe. That's the whole crawl, just the word ‘poop.'"

Then he answered seriously, turning to the side to avoid being caught on camera mouthing even one word from the highly secretive script:

”Decimated," he said, and he looked quite proud.

I would surprised if that word was not referring to the Republic in some way.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The First Order with a tiny sliver of the resources doing more damage to a fully fledged government with an organized military at its disposal than the Galactic Empire could to a small band of rebels with bad 70s haircuts will never not be weird to me.

The First Order with a tiny sliver of the resources doing more damage to a fully fledged government with an organized military at its disposal than the Galactic Empire could to a small band of rebels with bad 70s haircuts will never not be weird to me.

The size of the Republic military had been cut down significantly since the Empire was defeated though. It was nowhere near the strength of the Empire in its prime. The Republic didn't want another war and had grown pretty complacent. It's quite similar to the Empire's view of the rebels really. They didn't view them as a threat and ended up paying the price.

The First Order must have had significant resources to build Starkiller Base and a small fleet though. In the years leading up to The Force Awakens many of the centrist senators seceded and joined the First Order. They must have had a large amount of resources to contribute. I expect we'll see more of how the First Order is supported at Canto Bight in The Last Jedi.

Like WadiumArcadium explained, the New Republic was a fraction of the size of the Empire, and nowhere near the size Old Republic either. A lot of systems were wary about the whole galactic governance thing after the Clone Wars and the Civil War.

Remember that the Old Republic didn't have a full size military either until AOTC, so the New Republic demilitarizing was a return to form.

Of course, none of this is actually explained at all during TFA, probably because it's all retconning to compensate for that film's complete lack of interest in establishing the galaxy's political situation.

Here's MSW with a number of descriptions for concept versions of the TLJ theatrical poster:

The Last Jedi Poster Concept 1: Black Background

The first poster design I saw has a black background and is the most different of the batch. There’s a red explosion bursting around the stacked actors on the face of the page. The red burst appears to be the lava looking red stuff around the new planet Crait. At the very top is Luke Skywalker holding his “zapper” rod in his right hand with his left shoulder turned towards the camera. Rey is in the middle of the poster taking up the most space looking determined in her end of Star Wars: The Force Awakens costume. The right side of the poster has Kylo Ren with his back to us, cape draped over his shoulder, clutching his helmet in his right hand. Kylo’s helmet is turned towards him. The back of his helmet is in his palm and we see the helmet from the side. Under the helmet, touching it in fact, is the Falcon flying sideways. Above the Falcon and to the left of the helmet is a tiny General Hux. Centered under Rey is Finn in his resistance jacket facing towards the left of the frame with a tiny Poe (Resistance Jacket) and an even smaller BB-8 underneath him. Then you have five Elite Praetorian Guards from the waist up. You can’t see their legs because STAR WARS is stacked beneath them with “The Last Jedi” written in between Star and Wars. Moving up above BB-8 on the left of the frame is Chewbacca with General Leia Organa above him in her black dress. Leia looks to the left of the frame with her hand on her chest looking worried. Rey’s staff is in her hand and goes in front of Chewbacca’s legs so you can’t see them.

The poster is black at the bottom where the credits are with the red bursts around the heroes. The top of the poster is white and gritty.

More at the link.

Woorloog

Banned
In old canon, i think the X-wing hyperdrive required an astromech droid. (Presumably the droid name was shortened from "astrogation-mechanic" droid.)
Evidently that has been thrown away, and the droid is now just a mechanic and a co-pilot.

Making Star Wars have posted a new article detailing Snoke's appearance in The Last Jedi.

He's got bright blue eyes:

This update is a little weird if not ridiculous. I felt like doing it after talking to a friend that had a Snoke theory I politely shut down based on eye color. The thing about Snoke when I saw him last was that he has blue eyes. He has striking blue eyes. Ironically, his eyes are the same color as the ”Your Snoke Theory Sucks" stickers another friend pointed out to me.

Was maybe blonde at some point:

He has fine eyebrows you can barely see and their white and blondish in tone making me think he might have had blond hair and blue eyes when he was young.

Is a lot more pink in TLJ as his LEGO figure suggested:

The other thing I think might not really be realized as much as you'd think, is that his skin color is actually fairly pink and not as white and washed out as Palpatine. He has human colored flesh with age spots. I noticed that when people draw him he has skin like San Hill, for instance. He's way pinker compared to say The Inquisitor from Star Wars Rebels even.

They've also got a more detailed look at what Luke's walking stick looks like. It has a dragon-like face on the handle.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ron Howard keeps giving us the goods. J.J. would give us a little tease now and then, but I much prefer Ron's style with what we've seen him post so far.

Though nothing tops the prequel days on starwars.com... where they posted a new behind the scenes pic every week. Anyone else remember that? Oh, and those behind the scenes videos. Peter Jackson did them for The Hobbit too, which I always really appreciated.

Ahh well. With roughly one SW film per year now, we really don't need as many breadcrumbs I guess.
I love that all this time MSW was basically just sketching the promo shots:
Theory: the top knob is crafted after the likeness of a Xenomorph's inner mouth. That's right guys. We are gonna see some shit.

Isn't his 'walking stick' more of a Shillelagh, which actually makes sense considering they filmed in Ireland for a lot of the Luke stuff. He probably uses it to help poke the porgs out of the way that seem to be infesting the island, lol.

sphagnum

Banned
Ron Howard keeps giving us the goods. J.J. would give us a little tease now and then, but I much prefer Ron's style with what we've seen him post so far.

Though nothing tops the prequel days on starwars.com... where they posted a new behind the scenes pic every day. Anyone else remember that?

I was very disappointed when that tradition didn't continue. So much fun speculating on TFN.

I love that all this time MSW was basically just sketching the promo shots:

Also, hey, another Ron Howard BtS shot:

Trying to place where I've seen the alien before. Maybe Maz's?

That's Howard talking to Bradford Young isn't it? Guess he's still working on the film then.

Edit: I see his tweet confirmed it.

Rootbeer

Banned
So newsfromjakku seems to be implying that Snoke is
a fallen angel from Iego?
Interesting for sure... this theory/rumor has been floating around since at least May, some are saying it is debunked already not sure.

I will say though it would be one hell of a callback if it's true. Gives a lot more weight to that Anakin introductory scene in TPM.

here is their instagram if anyone wants to read their latest posts

https://www.instagram.com/newsfromjakku/

watershed

Banned
No one is gonna call Snoke an angel in the movie and I can't imagine they're gonna say Lego either unless it isn't pronounced like Lego blocks.

watershed

Banned
Oh, like Shakespeare. that makes more sense. I'm more inclined to believe Snoke is a Whill at this point but it really won't matter in the end whether he is a Whill or a Diathim or something else.

It seems Canto Bight is only a city on the planet Cantonica.

A description from one of the Canto Bight speeder toys:
Anyone attempting to break the law on Cantonica had best move fast, as the police force of Canto Bight has at its disposal these swift, lightweight pursuit craft.

Making Star Wars have also got their hands on one of the Journey to the Last Jedi books a month early. The Ahch-To nuns and the sea monster appear in The Last Jedi pages.

On the The Last Jedi front you get a good look at the Ahch-To nuns, the Porgs, and the Sea Monster (which sort of looks like an aquatic sea monster version of an Eopie). One of the two page spreads from The Last Jedi depicts Ahch-To with Rey offering her saber to Luke but the island is covered in Porgs for this depiction (just as the other spreads are covered with Stormtroopers and TIE Fighters when in the film it was very evenly spread out). It says that Rey is on Ahch-To to convince Luke Skywalker to join the Resistance.

kaiju

Interesting playset. I wonder what that thing is on the bottom. From what I can tell it looks similar to Kylo Ren's torture chair, but who knows.

Top Bottom