• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

Lyude77

Not the best solution, but at least I can still play all the WiiWare and Wii VC games I bought without enhancement on the Wii U, unlike some companies. Sony, I'm looking at you. Really, it should be a mix between the two in that they should be playable without enhancement, but that previous buyers of the game get the enhancements for free.

However, that particular list of games is horrid. The only games worthy of buying are Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, and Punch-Out!! and I already own Kirby's Adventure & Super Metroid as Wii VC titles. Punch-Out!! I don't, but I do own the Animal Crossing disc on GameCube with it on it, so I will probably pick up the Wii U version of that and updating Super Metroid and Kirby's Adventure will only cost $2.50.

I do however like that GBA games will be on Wii U though... I've never been a fan of portables but hopefully having a chance to play the GBA Castlevania games like Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow will be awesome. I suppose this is how they are going to get Yoshi's Island onto the Wii U.

I was hoping I could get like Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mega Man 2-5, and Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles updated on the Wii U since I still have the Gamecube Compilations of them and Wii U doesn't play Gamecube games.
All of the games listed will just cost 30 cents if you buy them when they become available, so it will only cost you 90 cents instead of $7.50.

Dang. I may have to get all of the decent ones offered at 30 cents, even the ones I already own for 3DS like Balloon Fight. Pleasantly surprised at Super Metroid and F-Zero, they'll be day 1. Not ecstatic about the Nintendo charging for updates idea, but it was expected. I actually thought they would charge more. I don't think I'll update any of my games unless my cousin wants me to.

StayDead

So I picked up Balloon Fight for 30 yen. I've got it on my 3DS and played it quite a bit, but I just wanted the Miiverse functionality and for 30yen, who could say no? That's like 21p in my currency :p

Love, love, love this game but damn is it unforgiving.

Meesh

Japan gets Mother 2, no one else does.

The VC library won't be there all at once, it'll trickle out over time. Again.
Trickle out my ass that sucks, and Japan not wanting share Mother leaves me completely butt hurt.
*pouts and sits in a corner*

Pociask

Let's be honest, a buck only looks good compared to Nintendo's already jacked up prices. One dollar is the most Balloon Fight should cost, total.

zroid

Banned
If these games have 10 coin post play surveys (and they probably will), I shall be buying them all without question :V

Will find out in one week.

Eric C

"* After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price. Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price. Games purchased during this promotional period are eligible for 2 points in the Deluxe Digital Program. Point value subject to change."

Best sale EVER.

JAN - Balloon Fight 30¢
FEB - F-Zero 30¢
MAR - Punch Out! Featuring Mr Dream 30¢
APR - Kirby's Adventure 30¢
MAY - Super Metroid 30¢
JUN - Yoshi 30¢
JUL - Donkey Kong 30¢

I almost can't believe they're going to sell Super Metroid for 30¢
I hope EVERY Wii U owner buys it in May. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

all i want from this is the ability to transfer over all my 3DS games. for one reason or another i have never bought any game digitally, but for my 3DS XL i have over 30 :-/
is there anyway to purchase these games for 30¢ without owning a wii u yet?

Kimawolf

Best sale EVER.

JAN - Balloon Fight 30¢
FEB - F-Zero 30¢
MAY - Super Metroid 30¢
JUN - Yoshi 30¢
JUL - Donkey Kong 30¢

I hope EVERY Wii U owner buys it in May. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Yes Metroid.. Fzero for 30 cent? wow...!

Randdalf

Best sale EVER.

JAN - Balloon Fight 30¢
FEB - F-Zero 30¢
MAY - Super Metroid 30¢
JUN - Yoshi 30¢
JUL - Donkey Kong 30¢

Wow, I'm getting me some Super Metroid.

Drago

I never played Super Metroid before.

For 30¢, how could I say no? Never played F-Zero either, and I can't wait to get that one too.

clear31

Sounds like you need to transfer in order to get the discount. Balls to that. Had everything been available from the start I'd have considered it. I'll probably just pick up the absolute must-haves and leave my collection on my Wii. Super Metroid with off tv play and miiverse is awesome though. Why the hell are GBA games coming to the Wii U? Leave the portable stuff to the 3DS.

this annoys me, i dont see why i cant get the discount without transferring

Jachaos

Now I do recall Bomberman saving where I left it. Maybe some SNES/Turbografx/NES games did ? But I do know Super Smash, Zelda OoT and Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64 and the likes didn't. And trying Balloon Fight, apparently Wii U virtual console games also let you map the buttons the way you want.

Drago

Hope GBA games eventually come to 3DS geez man.
In my dreams, there would be a simultaneous launch of GBA VC for both WiiU and 3DS, along with a unified account system that lets you share VC games between the two systems.

But I doubt that will happen. :(

Ban Puncher

I just downloaded Balloon Fight from the Australian eShop and the game appears to run at speed and full screen. I have the PAL cartridge and the WiiU VC version definitely is faster.

Optimised or 60Hz but definitely not a straight 50Hz shit dump.

Yuterald

Re-purchase, wow, thanks again digital distribution. Does anyone get this shit right? At least it's a buck or two. Although a bit different, at least it's better than how Sony handled their PSP-to-Vita stuff.

Cynar

This is hardly fair as people are suggesting. It's a quick cash grab. Screw Nintendo. How Nintendo handles online purchases is atrocious and this is just more garbage. I spent over $100 on vc games for the Wii but I will not spend one cent on Wii U VC (if and when I buy one which won't be until the new smash bros).

This is hardly fair as people are suggesting. It's a quick cash grab. Screw Nintendo. How Nintendo handles online purchases is atrocious and this is just more garbage. I spent over $100 on vc games for the Wii but I will not spend one cent on Wii U VC (if and when I buy one which won't be until the new smash bros).

You're buying the cost of porting the game to Wii U (or you know...however they do it), plus the ability to play from the Wii U menu (rather than Wii), save states, "Miiverse functionality" (lol), Game-Pad support. That has value.

You're still able to play the games you purchased on the Wii U, but it will be more inconvenient. If enough people who purchased Wii VC games protest and don't buy them, maybe they'll reconsider.

Roo

Best sale EVER.

JAN - Balloon Fight 30¢
FEB - F-Zero 30¢
MAY - Super Metroid 30¢
JUN - Yoshi 30¢
JUL - Donkey Kong 30¢

Thank you.
I was looking for this list
I'll probably get all of them

Eusis

You're buying the cost of porting the game to Wii U (or you know...however they do it), plus the ability to play from the Wii U menu (rather than Wii), save states, "Miiverse functionality" (lol), Game-Pad support. That has value.

You're still able to play the games you purchased on the Wii U, but it will be more inconvenient. If enough people who purchased Wii VC games protest and don't buy them, maybe they'll reconsider.
It's easy to rationalize that the value isn't worth it admittedly, the save states are probably something that should've been there initially and streaming sounds like it's one of the simplest things to implement on the Wii U.

Personally, fuck it I don't care I just want them natively Wii U and to not stretch out on my HDTV.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thank you.
I was looking for this list
I'll probably get all of them
I mean, why wouldn't you.. Just reach into your couch for change.

It's too bad gifting isn't easy on Wii U (or is it?). I would easy drop $10 just so 30 GAFers would get a copy of Super Metroid :p

It's easy to rationalize that the value isn't worth it admittedly, the save states are probably something that should've been there initially and streaming sounds like it's one of the simplest things to implement on the Wii U.

Personally, fuck it I don't care I just want them natively Wii U and to not stretch out on my HDTV.

Whether or not something should or should have not been been there on Wii VC, or whether something is 'cheap' to implement, is irrelevant. The *value* to consumers is what determines the price.

Its incredible that you guys think this is a good "deal". I never bought shit for Wii vc. I'll be paying less than you for the same damn thing. You shouldn't bend over and take it up the ass like this.

Chronos24

Question, and I apologize if already answered I just don't feel like sifting through pages to find the answer but are these the only games coming out meaning just one a month? Or are others coming out as well just not for 30 cents?

Roo

I mean, why wouldn't you.. Just reach into your couch for change.
I'm not too much into Balloon Fight and Punch Out but hey! they're dirty cheap and.. If I don't buy them I know I'll regret it later :p

It's too bad gifting isn't easy on Wii U (or is it?). I would easy drop $10 just so 30 GAFers would get a copy of Super Metroid :p

Well, if you ever decide to be this generous, I'd love to be one of the lucky ones to get Super Metroid :p

Question, and I apologize if already answered I just don't feel like sifting through pages to find the answer but are these the only games coming out meaning just one a month? Or are others coming out as well just not for 30 cents?

The games for 30 cents are part of a special campaign celebrating 30 years since the Famicom/NES, at a rate of one per month. More titles will (presumably) come for the VC starting after the Spring system update, but they will be regularly priced.

Chronos24

The games for 30 cents are part of a special campaign celebrating 30 years since the Famicom/NES, at a rate of one per month. More titles will (presumably) come for the VC starting after the Spring system update, but they will be regularly priced.

Ah I see. I was wondering whether we would get more games than that. The VC library should really take off then! Well...hopefully

Jacobbles

I just downloaded Balloon Fight from the Australian eShop and the game appears to run at speed and full screen. I have the PAL cartridge and the WiiU VC version definitely is faster.

Optimised or 60Hz but definitely not a straight 50Hz shit dump.

This is encouraging. I'm also Australian but haven't been able to check the eShop as my Wii U is at my gf's house at the moment. Can someone else confirm that it's not a 50hz dump? This is really important to me.

I think it is just ridiculous that they want people to buy old games when the cheapest ones are 4 dollars. I bought 1 game on the wii (Punch out). I wanted more but they are just two expensive. Mathematically I bet that if Nintendo sold every one of there games for 1 dollar they would make money. I would have no problem spending ten bucks a month and getting ten old classic games just to play once or twice. 4-5 bucks a pop for a game I know I'm only going to play for like 20 minutes before returning to 2013? No way, not for me ... except for Contra.

You seriously think this warrants a charge? Using the most basic aspects of the Wii U? Holy shit.

Tik-Tok

I have a question, I have like 30 dollars worth of points on my Wii that has been sitting there for at least 3 years
Should I buy a bunch of games on it and hope they eventually get released on the Wii U and I can buy them on there? I'd love to have Chrono Trigger and a few others.

When the Wii U successor comes out will the people who refused to pay and have their Wii VC games moved over to the main screen of the Wii U be unable to transfer their games to the Wii 3?

After loosing my Donkey Kong Country VC games with no warning from Nintendo Im a little nervous about buying anything digital from them again.

RaidenZR

When the Wii U successor comes out will the people who refused to pay and have their Wii VC games moved over to the main screen of the Wii U be unable to transfer their games to the Wii 3?

After loosing my Donkey Kong Country VC games with no warning from Nintendo Im a little nervous about buying anything digital from them again.

Did they ever explain what that was all about? Have there been any updates? It's so baffling...

Eric C

How'd you loose your DK games?

Yeah they removed them from the eshop, but if you already bought them you can still redownload them, and even transfer them to the Wii U... and even redownload them on the Wii U.

So you shouldn't have lost them.

I have a question, I have like 30 dollars worth of points on my Wii that has been sitting there for at least 3 years
Should I buy a bunch of games on it and hope they eventually get released on the Wii U and I can buy them on there? I'd love to have Chrono Trigger and a few others.

If the $30 has just been sitting in your account doing nothing, I'd say yeah buy some games you like.

Wii Points that are already listed on your account balance can ONLY be used on the Wii eShop.

Eusis

Go into your download history, you should be fine. Everyone who didn't buy them is screwed though.

CDX

"* After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price. Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price. Games purchased during this promotional period are eligible for 2 points in the Deluxe Digital Program. Point value subject to change."

Best sale EVER.

JAN - Balloon Fight 30¢
FEB - F-Zero 30¢
MAY - Super Metroid 30¢
JUN - Yoshi 30¢
JUL - Donkey Kong 30¢

30 cent Super Metroid! On my GamePad.

OH HELL YEAH.

Nintendo doesn't even know how much I would've paid for a Super Metroid 3D classics remake on the 3DS.

GAFfers better buy Super Metroid for 30 cents... and fill out the Club Nintendo survey after purchase telling Nintendo you want more 2D metroid games

You seriously think this warrants a charge? Using the most basic aspects of the Wii U? Holy shit.

It offers value to the customer and (however small) costs money to implement. If I was in Iwata's decision, I would make the same call. You can still play your VC games on the Wii U without charge if those features aren't important to you.

Top Bottom