• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Sober

I think Rocksteady deserves plenty of the blame now too. I've got a few hours left on my download but even with AA and phsyx off and on DX9 I'm not expecting a rock solid 60fps. I expect quite a bit of stuttering in the city which sucks because that shit is really distracting to me.
Sounds like the game probably went gold at the same time as the console versions but they had to make some screenshots and videos to say they were "working on optimisations"?

Dipswitch

In terms of performance, my 5850 + core 2 quad 9550 was benched at around 54 fps (I forgot to turn of triple buffering via d3doverrider) @ 1080p with everything maxed. The only issue I noticed was that textures sometimes would load late. Anyways I would've spent more time with the game but I have a flight to catch and am out of town for the rest of the week. So I just want to close this post with a big big FUCK YOU WARNER BROS. for delaying the PC release and choosing to use GFWL...

Wait.....is the use of triple buffering a bad idea with UE engine games? Or did you mean to say you forgot to turn it on?

PaulLFC

To those not in the US who want to pre-load, fret now, I may have found your solution:
Thanks! It seems to have worked, however I'm slightly worried that even though the game's now "downloading", the entry for Batman Arkham City PC in Steam's list view still shows it as "Not yet released" instead of "Preloading X%"

Chairhome

I think what happened is they wanted to delay it more for "optimization", but the backlash of the two delays was bad so they didn't want to risk more lost sales by delaying again. But who can say.

I guess there are a lot of issues, but I ran a benchmark this morning (DX9, very high, FXAA, no Physx, 1360x768) and hit an avg of 54, dipping as low as 12 (with vsync on). This is on my 4870 1gb and Phenom II x4 OC'd to 3.4. I'd say that its pretty good for my relatively "old" machine.

I think what happened is they wanted to delay it more for "optimization", but the backlash of the two delays was bad so they didn't want to risk more lost sales by delaying again. But who can say.

I guess there are a lot of issues, but I ran a benchmark this morning (DX9, very high, FXAA, no Physx, 1360x768) and hit an avg of 54, dipping as low as 12 (with vsync on). This is on my 4870 1gb and Phenom II x4 OC'd to 3.4. I'd say that its pretty good for my relatively "old" machine.
Problem with this theory is that we've know for a fact that rocksteady has been on vacation for weeks now. This was definitely not an optimization delay.

PaulLFC

Preloading in the UK now. 16GB :O

Had to use internet explorer though, Chrome was having none of my shenanigans.
Same, wouldn't work in Chrome for me, just pasted it into the Run box and it was fine. Preloading, but my games list doesn't show I am, only the download list. I also can't pause the download. Strange, but at least it works!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So the whole thing about no cancer in the steam version was a lie then?

Well, not completely. We knew Games for Windes Live was going to be there in some capacity - the Steam store page told us that on day 1.

However, with the Steam version, it is entirely possible to completely avoid GFWL. I turned off achievement notifications so I only get the Steam pop-up and it looks like they will be selling any DLC on the Steam storefront.

The only thing that remains to be seen is how they will handle patching. Regardless, the only thing GFWL will still be able to affect is with its certification process, delaying important patches for weeks. Hopefully they push out a patch for the DX11 problems on Steam as soon as possible and make GFWL-only users wait the B.S. extra week(s).

Well it looks like DX9 seems to work pretty well at least without much noticeable difference. I grabbed this last night so I'll pre-load when I get home.

What was the delay for on the PC version? I hope not DX11 optimization...

Derrick01

Banned
Well it looks like DX9 seems to work pretty well at least without much noticeable difference. I grabbed this last night so I'll pre-load when I get home.

What was the delay for on the PC version? I hope not DX11 optimization...

I do believe that for the initial 1 month delay they said it was because they wanted to make sure the PC version got extra time to ensure it was great.

Yup...

Risible

OK, I'm so confused.

I bought an Nvidia code from someone here on GAF. I'm in the US. I entered it into Steam, no problems.

When I go to the game page there's no Install button. When does it come out? It seems like some people have it, am I missing something?

What a fucked-up launch.

morningbus

OK, I'm so confused.

I bought an Nvidia code from someone here on GAF. I'm in the US. I entered it into Steam, no problems.

When I go to the game page there's no Install button. When does it come out? It seems like some people have it, am I missing something?

What a fucked-up launch.

Have you tried restarting Steam?

Risible said:
OK, I'm so confused.

What a fucked-up launch.

Simply copy and paste this into your web browser! Or Run

steam://install/57400

I turned off achievement notifications so I only get the Steam pop-up and it looks like they will be selling any DLC on the Steam storefront.

DLC isn't available on steam yet. If you look on the games for windows page, both the robin and nightwing DLC is already on there. I hope steam gets it on there soon.

Appleman

Anybody else getting a CTD when the benchmark first switches scenes in DX9 mode?

It crashes, and then gives error RanOutOfVideoMemory, but only in DX9 mode. I turned my AA down from 16XQ to 4X, but still errors out at the same spot.

morningbus

DLC isn't available on steam yet. If you look on the games for windows page, both the robin and nightwing DLC is already on there. I hope steam gets it on there soon.

Yeah, but I'm sure it will be there once Steam updates today. The Steam version of the game actually forces you to go through the Steam Store.

Blizzard

Banned
What people are saying reminds me of how in the UDK, DX11 seems to mean crappy performance compared to DX9. Frankly I'm glad people still make DX9 games with decent performance unless engine people figure out some way to get decent DX11 performance in games. (yes I'm sure there are exceptions like Metro)

The problem with UE3 and DX9 is that in like, every game besides Mirror's Edge, no anti-aliasing on ATI cards. Is there a way to turn MSAA on or is FXAA the only option for DX9 with ATI?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Maybe you can buy it in the gfwl marketplace and use it ingame anyway? I have some points left in my account so I may try that.

stuminus3

Banned
The problem with UE3 and DX9 is that in like, every game besides Mirror's Edge, no anti-aliasing on ATI cards. Is there a way to turn MSAA on or is FXAA the only option for DX9 with ATI?
Say what? You can turn on MSAA on just about every UE3 game on AMD hardware now, if not in-game then by forcing it. Off the top of my head the only exceptions are the Bioshock games (in DX10 mode only) and Borderlands (something to do with the lighting used). Everything else was fixed via driver updates long ago. Transformers: WFC with MSAA is glorious.

Nabs

Say what? You can turn on MSAA on just about every UE3 game on AMD hardware now, if not in-game then by forcing it. Off the top of my head the only exceptions are the Bioshock games (in DX10 mode only) and Borderlands (something to do with the lighting used). Everything else was fixed via driver updates long ago. Transformers: WFC with MSAA is glorious.

SSAA + UE3 = baller status

Blizzard

Banned
Are you just forcing it from the CCC anti-aliasing settings? I think I have 11.10 which is presumably recent enough to work.

Last I heard (like a year or two ago), I thouht that UT3, the Bioshock games, the Dead Space games, UDK in DX9, and possibly Arkham Asylum didn't support ATI MSAA. I would be happy to be wrong. I normally don't try to force an AA mode with CCC since I don't want to introduce additional problems or performance hits.

Struct09

I have a 5850, and I'm pretty sure Batman was letting me pick MSAA in the settings menu. I'm at work right now so I can't verify.

Lime

Is using a VPN to unlock an automatic ban on Steam? What if I actually travelled to the US and accessed my steam account from there? Couldn't that be an all right excuse?

REV 09

GMG sent me a code. I canceled my preorder though and got a confirmation email from their support....

how did you cancel your preorder? they gave me some bullshit about too much time passing and that i couldn't cancel. i preordered mid-september.

look at this bullshit:

refund on preorder(s)

Revenus_Victor
Nov-19 04:18

I am requesting a refund on the following preorders:

1. Batman: Arkham City
2. Assassin's Creed: Revelations

I won't have time to play them within the next few months and may decide to purchase them at a later time. Thanks,

Comments
User photo
Leeroy
Green Man Gaming Limited

Hi there,

Due to the length of time since these prepurchases, we would be unable to offer a refund or return.

Regards

Rich

Nov-21 2011 11:36
User photo
Revenus_Victor

then what is the purpose of this (copied from your solutions section):

Can I refund my pre-purchase game either before or after I receive it?

charlene Apr-21 2010

Yes, you can refund your pre-purchased game at any time as long as it's not been played. Your refund will be returned to you via the same method you paid, so if you used credit from your Green Man Gaming account, we will refund the credit.

Nov-21 2011 22:57
User photo
Leeroy
Green Man Gaming Limited

Hi there,

Batman Arkham City is no longer eligible for refunds, as the keys are now live. Because these games were prepurchased in early September, we regret a refund is no longer possible.

Regards

Rich

Nov-22 2011 15:22

Lothars

how did you cancel your preorder? they gave me some bullshit about too much time passing and that i couldn't cancel. i preordered mid-september.

look at this bullshit:

That's bullshit, I could understand not honoring the refund if you are canceling the day off but you specifically requested it on the 19th.

They should have honored it.

I ran it on my measly C2D and a 4670 at 1080p@60fps. This game however looks like another recent case of PC devs not giving a single fuck.

where are you seeing performance impressions? I've read this thread back a couple of pages and haven't seen any yet.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I ran it on my measly C2D and a 4670 at 1080p@60fps. This game however looks like another recent case of PC devs not giving a single fuck.

Bah, I remember playing AA on my previous rig, 460 sli and even with only one of the cards I got amazing performance. I'm surprised to see such a drop in performance in the sequel since, let's be honest here, it still a current gen multiplatform game so the technical leap is merely incremental.

(._.)

Banned

look at this bullshit:

that is just dumb. I think I prepurchased around that time also. I emailed them and just got some dumb email back saying it has been canceled. Said something like I was gonna regret it later. need to check my statement when I get home to see if I actually got a refund.

chewydogg

Is anyone that bought this through GMG able to play it yet? My download is complete but Capsule keeps getting hung up on "Reassembling download. Please wait." Windows gives me "not responding" if I try to pause download or close Capsule...

Top Bottom