• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

TankUP

IMO, it's hard to argue against new ideas, changes, and direction for Hearthstone.

It's easy to argue against people who blame Ben Brode for everything minor thing they dislike about the game. It's fine that you don't like how Disneyfied Hearthstone is (but that's kinda just the way it is) but not sure you can lay all the "blame" for that on Ben Brode.

I thought the brawl was reduce the cost to 1, not by 1.

So I built the greediest possible rogue deck with shadowstep and valeera DK.

And I played against a zoolock and still won... with this...

### Brawl Deck
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
# 2x (3) Mimic Pod
# 2x (5) Assassinate
# 2x (5) Shadowcaster
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 1x (6) Sylvanas Windrunner
# 2x (6) Thistle Tea
# 1x (6) Trade Prince Gallywix
# 2x (6) Vanish
# 2x (7) Sprint
# 1x (8) Doomcaller
# 1x (8) Kel'Thuzad
# 1x (8) Ragnaros the Firelord
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Anub'arak
# 2x (9) Blade of C'Thun
# 1x (9) Valeera the Hollow
# 1x (9) Ysera
# 1x (10) C'Thun
#
AAEBAaIHDLIC9gLFBKIJuQ2CDskPmhSFF4uvAsmvAoDTAgnEAdkC7QL2BPurAs2vAtyvAvzBAoHCAgA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

That short really missed the mark for me. Irksome and charmless. The Junkertown video the OW team put out was way better. Watching the Mei short now.

Brawl is fun...

RTiz79Wl.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So the stop hero power card doesnt work in adventure mode, they just ignore it

However the Paladin DK hero power does, even through immune

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
As hard as it may be to believe when first starting out, the most important factor in ranking up is simply playing lots and lots of games. At some point all the cards in the world will not be enough to get your rank to rise without playing a sufficiently high number of games.
It also helps to use the same deck for the vast majority of the time you're trying to rank up. You will learn the ins and outs of that deck vs the other decks you're playing. There is a lot of matchup knowledge you can't learn if you're constantly switching decks.

Hope some of that advice is helpful.

Getting past rank 18 is not a matter of how much you spend. It's about learning the core concepts of the game and playing a semi-competent deck. I mean, why are we responding to this obvious bait anyway...

TankUP

Getting past rank 18 is not a matter of how much you spend. It's about learning the core concepts of the game and playing a semi-competent deck. I mean, why are we responding to this obvious bait anyway...

You don't even need a good deck. I got past rank 18 on a fresh account where my only legendary was classic King Mukla I inexplicably opened in one of my first few free packs (this was when I was unlocking the Shaman alternate hero by grinding up a new account).

I did it with a mage deck with all basic cards plus Mukla.

what twitch integration? is this from the gamescom?

Yeah, they talked about it on omnistone but I presume first at gamescom. Stuff like mouseover to see cards etc. Real neat stuff. I think they said searching for channels by criteria like rank and class. So maybe some top legend players who never got exposure can get some that way. Like if you wanna watch legend rogue gameplay.

TankUP

Yeah, they talked about it on omnistone but I presume first at gamescom. Stuff like mouseover to see cards etc. Real neat stuff. I think they said searching for channels by criteria like rank and class. So maybe some top legend players who never got exposure can get some that way. Like if you wanna watch legend rogue gameplay.

It's already here! Not sure if it's a metered roll-out or what, but interactive decklists, mousing over cards and sorting by rank has been available for a little while now. I know Dog and Day9 both have the interactive stuff active.

luoapp

It's already here! Not sure if it's a metered roll-out or what, but interactive decklists, mousing over cards and sorting by rank has been available for a little while now. I know Dog and Day9 both have the interactive stuff active.

They do. It's kinda neat actually. Now give me my replay, Blizzard.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
You don't even need a good deck. I got past rank 18 on a fresh account where my only legendary was classic King Mukla I inexplicably opened in one of my first few free packs (this was when I was unlocking the Shaman alternate hero by grinding up a new account).

I did it with a mage deck with all basic cards plus Mukla.

my girlfriend started playing the game last december as a f2p player (still is) and she has gone beyond rank 18 since feb or mar. now she's able to reach rank 15 with ease.

I found it hard to get past rank 15 on my F2P account back in the MSoG days before feeling I needed to grind out better cards. I'm not the best player or deck builder but I don't think I'm bad either.

I was using a janky beast druid without menagerie warden because that's what my packs gave me. But it wouldn't have taken that much grind to throw together a mostly complete netdeck of some sort, and a new player should be having fun learning the game while they're doing that grind anyway. I only lasted two weeks before wanting to return to my main account.

Should be even easier soon with the last adventure rotating out. Adventures were a good gold to dust ratio, but saving that much gold takes a really long time, which sucks if you just are starting to build a collection and only need a couple key cards to complete an archetype you want to try.

Well, you're going to have a pretty decent collection after playing f2p for 3 years.

Yeah, I've never heard that retort before. Sonic has been around a really long time now too. Every f2p player starts in the same boat. My experience shows you don't have to pay a dime and I had zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrooooooooo issues getting past rank 15 or w/e even when I was new and lacked a collection.

Cockmagic

Neo Member
Yeah, I've never heard that retort before. Sonic has been around a really long time now too. Every f2p player starts in the same boat. My experience shows you don't have to pay a dime and I had zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrooooooooo issues getting past rank 15 or w/e even when I was new and lacked a collection.

To be fair, i think it was a lot easier to rank up back then than it is now, given the increase in power level of the new cards compared to basic.

To be fair, i think it was a lot easier to rank up back then than it is now, given the increase in power level of the new cards compared to basic.

This is another argument I've heard time and time again. It's not harder to rank up. It's actually much easier to both build a collection and rank up. They've done nothing but made the game easier to start and one thing people never mention is that over the past 3 years there has never been a point where I am like done collecting.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah. It used to be possible to hit legend with only basic cards with mage. Now I am certain it's not possible.

But, it doesn't take much to build a cheap hunter or pirate warrior deck that can quickly take you legend.

Cockmagic

Neo Member
This is another argument I've heard time and time again. It's not harder to rank up. It's actually much easier to both build a collection and rank up. They've done nothing but made the game easier to start and one thing people never mention is that over the past 3 years there has never been a point where I am like done collecting.

Maybe so. I started playing in 2015 but I do get the sense that it was easier back then. The power level of cards and decks these days is just insane. Dr. Boom used to be the most busted card. Nowadays, Dr. Boom can't even hold a candle to the top 3 druid cards.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe so. I started playing in 2015 but I do get the sense that it was easier back then. The power level of cards and decks these days is just insane. Dr. Boom used to be the most busted card. Nowadays, Dr. Boom can't even hold a candle to the top 3 druid cards.

It's not just you. I enjoy watching Trump and others do free to play runs, and it's clearly getting harder and harder for them. I haven't seen a F2P run that didn't end up being hunter or pirate warrior in a while, while it used to be you'd even see things like Priest get played in the free to play runs, just because you got one good class legendary for it from a pack. If you got like a Priest DK now, you'd just dust it for 400 dust to go toward your aggro deck, or never do anything with it following Toast's rules.

Cockmagic

Neo Member
Yeah, I don't doubt it. I'm F2P too and I remember how hard it was to get a decent deck initially. Maybe the free packs you get now make a huge difference, especially if you luck out with a legendary, but you'll likely need a lot of dust to make a competitive deck anyhow.

luoapp

It's not just you. I enjoy watching Trump and others do free to play runs, and it's clearly getting harder and harder for them. I haven't seen a F2P run that didn't end up being hunter or pirate warrior in a while, while it used to be you'd even see things like Priest get played in the free to play runs, just because you got one good class legendary for it. If you got like a Priest DK now, you'd just dust it for 400 dust to go toward your aggro deck, or never do anything with it following Toast's rules.

I remember Trump did a new to legendary run on an f2p account in one month. Not sure if that's still possible now.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I remember Trump did a new to legendary run on an f2p account in one month. Not sure if that's still possible now.

I'm sure it is with aggro druid or pirate warrior. Patches is the biggest pain, but you get a lot of dust from the new fact that first 10 packs of a set guarantee a legendary.

I don't know if the only rare or below hunter deck would work still.

Pre-KotFT, I spent maybe $15 on HS (the welcome pack after I had already been playing a while, and a few arena runs when I was starting). I ranked up fine. Definitely don't need to spend a cent to get past rank 18. I've still only spent $15 or so, but I bought the KotFT preorder with WoW gold, which is worthy of an asterisk.

I'm sure it is with aggro druid or pirate warrior. I don't know if hunter would work still.

I think Toast did it with hunter fairly recently. It is likely harder than it used to be, but still doable.

I think established players doing it is fairly irrelevant though. They already know the basics, know how to make a deck, and most importantly know what they can dust and what they should keep, which is a big deal when it comes to these budget legend decks people tout. New players don't really know that. Something like PW is relatively cheap compared to its power level, but that doesn't really matter if a new player doesn't understand that they pulled a crap legendary in their first 10 packs.

I've heard some pros and streamers suggest adding a little bit of straight dust to every pack, and I think that's a good idea. HS has gotten better for new players, but I think there's still more they need to do and I'm sure they are workshopping ways to handle that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think Toast did it with hunter fairly recently. It is likely harder than it used to be, but still doable.

I think established players doing it is fairly irrelevant though. They already know the basics, know how to make a deck, and most importantly know what they can dust and what they should keep, which is a big deal when it comes to these budget legend decks people tout. New players don't really know that. Something like PW is relatively cheap compared to its power level, but that doesn't really matter if a new player doesn't understand that they pulled a crap legendary in their first 10 packs.

I've heard some pros and streamers suggest adding a little bit of straight dust to every pack, and I think that's a good idea. HS has gotten better for new players, but I think there's still more they need to do and I'm sure they are workshopping ways to handle that.

Problem is hunter is so very bad against druid now when they were good against them last month. Priest is probably better against them now too.

I guess Bearshark is a pretty good addition to that deck at least.

This last two weeks I have had 6 people friend request me after a match in Wild.

All of them have been cool people. :-O

Edit: Barnes into Ragnaros, who kills a Deathlord and pulls Sylvannas. lol

scarlet

Getting closer into legend and I got so anxious.

My goals is always to get that golden epic monthly, so rank 5. Legend is a bonus, but now that I'm actually at rank 2, it makes me so nervous about playing and not enjoying it at all.

Dahbomb

My goals is always to get that golden epic monthly, so rank 5. Legend is a bonus, but now that I'm actually at rank 2, it makes me so nervous about playing and not enjoying it at all.
What's there to be nervous about? You made your minimum goal, anything is bonus. You just keep playing without the rank in mind and do your best. When you start thinking about the rank then you get ladder anxiety.

In any case, I have realized that a Zoo deck might work with Skelemancer + Bonemare and the Eggs. More of Midrange/sticky style of Zoo, can definitely punish Jade Druids a bit.

KuroNeeko

I've been...enjoying...warlock...(never thought I'd write that).
So much that I thought I'd take it to rank 10 and then play something else (like FROST SHOCK) from there, but last night and today have been rough. I think I'm hovering around 12 right now? The control warlock list I'm running is very anti-aggro, but Murloc Paladin doesn't give two sheets about that.

Druid, as well, is very touch and go. I've seen Taunt Druids, Dragon Druids, a weird-ass Buff Druid, even C'thun Druid and they're all really hard to beat.

Thinking about jumping ship and switching to another deck but most of the meta decks out there right now are just kind of "meh". Saving dust up for Dirty Anduin and some Statues so I can go back to playing Priest. lol

Good luck, mayne!

Don't get too stressed! It's the journey, not the destination!

Just had a match where, between my opponent and I, we had 5 Tunnel Weaselers.

I got one off of Maelstrom.
He killed it.
Barnes pulled it a second time.
Shadowy Essence pulled it as a 5/5.
N'Zoth resurrected it twice more when I played him (I was angry about this).

Triz

Turns out having 3 Bonemares in your Paladin Arena draft is pretty good, even if You don't draft Spikeridged Steed.

Top Bottom