• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct focused on ARMS + Splatoon 2 trailer (over)

Regiruler

I'm going to guess this will be an emblem for a future character if they dig a little deeper into their "lore". Possibly the boss's emblem.

lQCPTL5.png

I'm going to guess this will be an emblem for a future character if they dig a little deeper into their "lore". Possibly the boss's emblem.

lQCPTL5.png

You may be onto something here: it looks like a bird with a giant fist in place of a head, holding a great eye wreathed in flame.

Probably just the equivalent of Quetzalcoatl.

Neiteio

I know it was mentioned in the direct but kind of glossed over

There's a 1 v 1 v 1 mode as well
Which is kind of gnarly

Also looks chaotic

DAIfh9-VwAApIFQ.jpg:large
Yeah, I noticed in the menu for one-player quick match in Versus that you can adjust the number of CPU opponents. You can also adjust their difficulty level, HP, rush gauge, etc. Toggle items off, too.

Current theory is that the boss is Biff's true form.

I'm actually not so certain that's the case; here's why:
This is the potential Biff/Cobutter/HandOnHeadAnnouncer boss-dude emblem, yeah? It does make sense; Biff has a hand on his head, this bird has a hand for a head. The boss, naturally...
... has a hand on his head. It even looks like they are both the left hand, so it all checks out, right?
Except Biff has a right hand on his head, rather than a left. Could they be interchangeable like the other Arms? Sure, but at this point we have no reason to assume they are.

It could just be the case that Biff is Fist Bird's right hand while the boss is the left, or some other such crazy theory.

This is the potential Biff/Cobutter/HandOnHeadAnnouncer boss-dude emblem, yeah? It does make sense; Biff has a hand on his head, this bird has a hand for a head. The boss, naturally...... has a hand on his head. It even looks like they are both the left hand, so it all checks out, right?Except Biff has a right hand on his head, rather than a left. Could they be interchangeable like the other Arms? Sure, but at this point we have no reason to assume they are.

It could just be the case that Biff is Fist Bird's right hand while the boss is the left, or some other such crazy theory.

So master hand vs crazy hand? :p

jorgejjvr

There's a friends option on the main menu of ARMS and they never went over it in the ARMS Direct. To my understanding Party Mode is online with randoms only.
I thought party mode was with friends?

At least, there should be an option to do a lobby just like that but with friends. And by friends I mean gaf lol

SalvaPot

This is the potential Biff/Cobutter/HandOnHeadAnnouncer boss-dude emblem, yeah? It does make sense; Biff has a hand on his head, this bird has a hand for a head. The boss, naturally...... has a hand on his head. It even looks like they are both the left hand, so it all checks out, right?Except Biff has a right hand on his head, rather than a left. Could they be interchangeable like the other Arms? Sure, but at this point we have no reason to assume they are.

Huh, pretty cool! They could be brothers, too. Or his mirror personality, Deepest lore.

I thought party mode was with friends?

At least, there should be an option to do a lobby just like that but with friends. And by friends I mean gaf lol
I'm not sure. I feel like it wasn't clearly explained. They showed the "local" option and that was for friends locally. So what was the "Friend" option for? I thought maybe it was for Friends online because Biff said in Party Mode the game would pick what you play (fight, Hoops, V-Ball, etc.).

I would think people would want to pick whichever mode to play in with their friends online.

Is it safe to say ARMS is probably the prettiest game Nintendo has put out to date?
You can say it looks....
stunning
Seriously, though. At 1080p 60fps it's a very pretty game with great character models and lighting.

Neiteio

Is it safe to say ARMS is probably the prettiest game Nintendo has put out to date?
You can say it looks....
stunning
Seriously, though. At 1080p 60fps it's a very pretty game with great character models and lighting.
I'd say that title still goes to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, from an art perspective, at least. But yeah, ARMS is a very handsome-looking game!

Totakeke

I think ARMS doesn't necessarily have Splatoon's attitude and freshness appeal to draw in the wider audience, but they may have solved some of that problem with V-Ball and Hoops. Those two modes are really brilliant inclusions to appeal to people not yet sold on the game.

Neoxon

Going by the footage, did Nintendo not even bother to record Biff's English voice in the game? Hopefully English Biff will be the announcer in the final build.

Ah you are correct, methinks. The direction just threw me off hehe.
I was thrown off a bit by it, too, honestly. It looks like it should be coming from Kid Cobra, but he's clearly armed with something else. Since Twintelle seems to have birds in her hair, though, I think that's likely where that one came from.
Huh, pretty cool! They could be brothers, too. Or his mirror personality, Deepest lore.
You know the lore is deep when extendable arms are explained with
"they just woke up that way!"
You can say it looks....
stunning
It's probably just all the Arms with the shock attribute, really. And Twintelle's Starstruck ability.
I think ARMS doesn't necessarily have Splatoon's attitude and freshness appeal to draw in the wider audience, but they may have solved some of that problem with V-Ball and Hoops. Those two modes are really brilliant inclusions to appeal to people not yet sold on the game.
I could certainly see people buying the game just for those, even if they aren't interested in the actual fighting matches. Arms looks like a very good volleyball game.

Doorman

Going by the footage, did Nintendo not even bother to record Biff's English voice in the game? Hopefully English Biff will be the announcer in the final build.

The build they were using to show off stuff in the direct seemed pretty well final, so I'd guess that the "take up....ARMS!" that you hear at the start of matches from Cobutter is what we're gonna get, even in the English version. I doubt they'd still be doing voice recording like that just a month before release, outside of maybe casting the first DLC fighter or two for future-planning.

Zubz

Banned
Pretty sure the version that played in the background of the Direct said "Helix".

Maybe they're just doing a more feminine announcer voice for the English version that just sounds like the Japanese version of Biff? Which would suck, since they nailed the excited announcer voice for the character during the Directs.

Zedark

So this popped up in the other thread, but this specific topic seems more fitting in this thread. So, here goes:

This is pretty interesting I think:
I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about this... we weren't shown anything, but there will be a single player outing typical to a fighter game. Doesn't seem like there will be much of a story though.
Not very clear, but it seems there will be some kind of story component present. Doesn't rule out that this is tied to the grand prix or anything, but at least there might be some story present.

Top Bottom