• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to digging into this tonight or tomorrow. I pre-ordered on PSN, but I think I forgot to pre-load.

plenilune

[3DS] Don't get discouraged by the awkward pauses in 2D mode early on. Once you choose 2D it gets much better! I am cherishing every moment.

Gloam

The death animation for the Cruelcumbers is amazing.

My horse went missing and it took me a while to figure out how to get it back. Feel a little foolish.

Nista

Aww I'm jazzed to see the OT. Hopefully my friend who is over in Asia right now comes through with an LE copy for me to play eventually. Until then I'll just get to enjoy it secondhand.

I hassled the SE reps at E3 about not having any DQXI announcements, so hopefully next year will be the time.

Aww I'm jazzed to see the OT. Hopefully my friend who is over in Asia right now comes through with an LE copy for me to play eventually. Until then I'll just get to enjoy it secondhand.

I hassled the SE reps at E3 about not having any DQXI announcements, so hopefully next year will be the time.
They announced the localization today!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Watched an hour of gameplay. This might be the prettiest looking JRPG I've ever witnessed.

ZeroD

In line at my local Geo right now picking up my 2ds. Busiest I've ever seen it, lines moving at a snail pace though!

KtSlime

Just left, there were about 60 people in line when doors opened and another 15 showed up as I was leaving with my copy.

ranmafan

Well just woke up, fully rested and ready to go for playing. Just saw the news about the western release, wow talk about nice timing. Thought Horii's video was cute. Happy for the western fans out there.

Now it's time for me to wait for the delivery person to show up with my double pack. Hopefully it's before 9, as I want to have as much play time as possible today, busy day for me tonight as my family has a school festival to go to but that's going to be fun too. So a fun day all around for me today. Just gotta wait for the package. Also looking forward to the inevitable news reports on tv for the release of the game. Those should be showing up any moment now.

Aeana

I've done the intro bits on both the 3DS and PS4 versions now. It's really interesting how the scripts are exactly the same, but a lot of stuff isn't. The intro dungeon is totally different between the two, for instance. I also can't believe how pointless the free movement camera is! The enemies just stay lined up and you can walk around and look at their backs, and that's about it.

I also can't believe how pointless the free movement camera is! The enemies just stay lined up and you can walk around and look at their backs, and that's about it.
Outside the tactical sub-genre, JRPGs have never been big on positioning and spacing, so I can't say that's a surprise.

MoonFrog

I've done the intro bits on both the 3DS and PS4 versions now. It's really interesting how the scripts are exactly the same, but a lot of stuff isn't. The intro dungeon is totally different between the two, for instance. I also can't believe how pointless the free movement camera is! The enemies just stay lined up and you can walk around and look at their backs, and that's about it.

Interesting. That'd make playing both more interesting than just replaying the same game otherwise would be, I'd imagine. Not that I'm not already someone who does replay the same games over again :p.

Aeana

Outside the tactical sub-genre, JRPGs have never been big on positioning and spacing, so I can't say that's a surprise.

Dragon Quest 10 came before this game, has free movement, and enemies move around the battlefield fine, and positioning matters. It's a direct downgrade.

Lynx_7

Yeah, I don't see what's the point of free movement other than breaking immersion. I'll just ignore it and use the fixed camera.

3DS people, are you playing 2D or 3D? I want to hear some 2D impressions as that's the main draw of the 3DS version for me.

Dragon Quest 10 came before this game, has free movement, and enemies move around the battlefield fine, and positioning matters. It's a direct downgrade.
Oh, my bad. I gave that one (and only that one) a pass because I'm not into MMORPGs in general.

jb1234

Watched Shouta's stream for a couple of hours and came away impressed. The game is incredibly charming (as DQ usually is), looks gorgeous and just seems like a blast. I hope it doesn't take too long to localize.

Porcile

Can't see how anyone could look at the PS4 version of the game and not think it looks hella dated compared to modern RPGs beside the UE4 graphics. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, since the dated-ness is in a way half the charm, but the 3DS always looked way more appealing to me since the system matched the limitations of the game.

jb1234

Can't see how anyone could look at the PS4 version of the game and not think it looks hella dated compared to modern RPGs beside the UE4 graphics. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, since the dated-ness is in a way half the charm, but the 3DS always looked way more appealing to me since the system matched the limitations of the game.

The art design is really, really good. It reminds me of Xenoblade in that way, which had very obvious technical limitations yet some of the most gorgeous vistas I can remember from last gen came from that game.

Catman

Banned

I always seem to enjoy games visually based on how good the art is instead of pure graphical power. Take FFXV and this game: FFXV is probably way more impressive visually in a lot of ways, but I find it very boring to look at compared to this game. DQXI just looks beautiful to me, and better because of the art regardless of how it might not be as technically impressive.

Porcile

I'm not talking about the graphics. It looks fantastic and charming. I'm talking about the general clunkiness which I've seen ever since the game's reveal. Too much of it looks like something from 8-10 years ago, but in a bad way. I'll be playing the 2D version on 3DS.

Aeana

For those who got the 3DS download version, you can claim your DLC items by going into the eShop, pressing the menu button in the top left, then going to 設定・その他 → ご利用記録, and then find the entry for DQ11 and click 明細を見る. Scroll down to the bottom and there will be a download code. Write that down, then go into the game and pick プレゼントコード入力 and then プレゼントコードを入力する. Now you can put in the code you wrote down and download your items.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
god bless Shouta

Aters

What's modern by your standard? I think DQXI looks as good as, if not better than stuff like Nier Automata and Persona 5 and they all came out this year.

bigjig

For those who got the 3DS download version, you can claim your DLC items by going into the eShop, pressing the menu button in the top left, then going to 設定・その他 → ご利用記録, and then find the entry for DQ11 and click 明細を見る. Scroll down to the bottom and there will be a download code. Write that down, then go into the game and pick プレゼントコード入力 and then プレゼントコードを入力する. Now you can put in the code you wrote down and download your items.

You don't happen to know how much your xp and gold is boosted using the pre order items, do you?

Porcile

What's modern by your standard? I think DQXI looks as good as, if not better than stuff like Nier Automata and Persona 5 and they all came out this year.

It's not really a discussion this thread so i'll quit posting till I have the game in my hands but I have the complete opposite opinion lol. And, it's not an RPG but Monster Hunter World looks a a much better "next-gen" modernisation of a series compared to the PS4 DQ11.

Anyway, I just want to play the game, but need to wait for the shops to open here.

Edit - Actually, it's coming to Switch in some form so I'm gonna grab a download version on the 3DS e-shop, I think.

Top Bottom