• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS |OT| A Link Between Worlds.

Fj0823

Not to mention the data storms kill what little tension YGO has.

"MC is at 100 LP D:"

"Sweet, New Link coming up"

When will Yusaku lose? I wonder if even Ghost Girl knew about these new Cyberse monsters that make you pay LP.

Smart how Yusaku used Camouflage effect against Ghost Girl, Speed Duel rules really screwed her over though.

We got some new info on the reporters, Yamamoto is a duelist but the pigeon isn't.

Glad they're sticking to the new Link Summon animation, wonder if the new director had anything to do with these changes.

Not to mention the data storms kill what little tension YGO has.

"MC is at 100 LP D:"

"Sweet, New Link coming up"

To be fair every Yu-Gi-Oh! protag did the same thing, they just made it an actual mechanic in VRAINS. I can see how it makes duels predictable though.

Fj0823

When will Yusaku lose? I wonder if even Ghost Girl knew about these new Cyberse monsters that make you pay LP.

Smart how Yusaku used Camouflage effect against Ghost Girl, Speed Duel rules really screwed her over though.

We got some new info on the reporters, Yamamoto is a duelist but the pigeon isn't.

Glad they're sticking to the new Link Summon animation, wonder if the new director had anything to do with these changes.

L
To be fair every Yu-Gi-Oh! protag did the same thing, they just made it an actual mechanic in VRAINS. I can see how it makes duels predictable though.

Exactly, previously the traditional asspull could be anything (even more so in Arc V) a spell, a trap, an effect in the grave, there was no tension, but at least you knew somewhat crazy shit was coming

Now you always know it's gonna be a Link because the rules say so.

That kills the miniscule tension the show has.

And also keep in mind that both Zexal and Arc V had no problem with their MC's getting absolutely wrecked. So this feels even more backwards

This effect damage battle was pretty exciting, too bad she couldn't actually finish the duel through effect damage. Abyss Invitation seems like a pretty good counter against Trickstars. I'd like to see the Tentacluster monsters be printed because they seem interesting. Sweet Devil's name change is pretty jarring, but I guess it can work. Yusaku pulls out another link monster, but I wasn't expecting it to be an Archfiend that's pretty surprising.

Whoa, I'm excited for Akira to duel Yusaku. I wonder what kind of deck he'll use

I really enjoyed this episode, wasn't expecting Akira to have a flip effect monster deck especially one that looks so creepy! Shoichi and Yusaku weren't having any of him trying to sympathize with them. Yusaku gets another card that puts a counter on it... oh well at least we got Firewall Dragon, guess that means Akira is an actual threat.

Excited to see the Tindangle Link monster next episode and some of Yusaku's past I guess

Couldn't help but think this was a Duel Links reference
JtbR2hg.png

OMG Cruel ending spot, they could have told us the masterminds name! Now to wait another week!!!

Yuusaku's personality makes so much sense now, even years of treatment havent helped much but he's progresed more than the others it seems. I cant believe he decided to touch duel monsters again.

Fj0823

OMG Cruel ending spot, they could have told us the masterminds name! Now to wait another week!!!

Yuusaku's personality makes so much sense now, even years of treatment havent helped much but he's progresed more than the others it seems. I cant believe he decided to touch duel monsters again.

It makes sense but he's still unlikable to me

A few flashes into his PTSD or his nightmares/insomnia would've sold the revelation far better than an info dump.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how much of a badass Firewall Dragon is? He looks so cool.

Yo Yusaku just got hella redeemed in the last 2 episodes. His fuck you to Zaizan was amazing and I love how they went for the revenge angle without any excuses.

Also talk about pouring salt into the wound. Could have won with a direct attack but crushed his spell and trap combo and destroyed his monster utterly just to make his point LOL.

Fj0823

Yusaku still an ass,but him treating the Zaizen's relationship with respect was nice. He stills needs to chill the fuck out a bit. Even the goddamn Batman chills in his everyday life.

Also, Slower Link Gameplay™ at full force in this episode

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm behind so I don't mind a break haha.

Does this recap have any story scenes in it? I kind of liked the stuff with Yamamoto and Hato in the first recap...they really are the show's best characters, um.

Wait, since when does Go Onizuka know Playmakers identity, no way could have gotten that just from running into him at the hospital, unless I missed something from way back when. The playmaker avatar looks *different* from Yuusaku as well so I cant believe he knows just from looks.

Fj0823

Wait, since when does Go Onizuka know Playmakers identity, no way could have gotten that just from running into him at the hospital, unless I missed something from way back when. The playmaker avatar looks *different* from Yuusaku as well so I cant believe he knows just from looks.

This is the kind of complex writing that warrants a recap every 10 episodes

Its a big plothole, unless we both missed something

Fj0823

Going to post my overall impressions on the show at this point here so I'll expand a bit on my Pojo post

Vrains is getting closer and closer to be the worst ygo series for me

The designs of anyone other than Yusaku, Emma and maybe Blue Angel are either Generic McOneOffMan or nauseating ugly. I mean how can you even defend this shit!?

latest

In any other show, that design would be a one-off character for a filler episode. At Best.

The plot is ultra generic and they somehow manage to make every event feel forced, like it was a last minute decision

Yusaku is plain unlikable. Nothing about him makes me want to root for him...I'd pay to have Aoi as the MC, I'm serious. But no, we have a dude smoldering with generic rage equipped with zexal-like plot armor thanks to Ignis

People compare Yusaku with Yusei, and I feel the comparison is unfair. By this point there had been a lot of little character traits that gave us a sense that Yusei is a feeling human being, like when he walks into a bar and asks for Milk, when he defends the old man in prison or when he spends time with Rally.

Yusaku has had zero

"But Fj! You will say, Yusaku is like so traumatized, you can't expect him to be socially functional!"

And to answer that, I raise you Batman.

Yusaku feels like all the worst aspects of Batman. Obsessed, PTSD, Revenge Driven, Works Alone super Hero...But with Batman other characters are there to call him out on that toxic behaviour and he's usually punished for this behavior during the events of the story.

While Yusaku is always rewarded for it. Making character growth impossible without making it feel forced as fuck

The duels are stale as fuck with few exceptions, Arc-V really spoiled me on variety. VRAINS is basically "My Links are better than yours" over and over

And the writers think their story is so good we need 2 freaking recaps in less than 25 episodes.

Unless they massively change course, I feel like Zexal looks better and better every time Vrains comes out.

Yuma was insufferable but at least, at least he had an ounce, hell a sliver of personality and humanity.

Just caught up with VRAINS.

I really hate that they did a recap episode and twice to boot in a span of 10 episodes.

as fj said that kind of character design is really jarring/annoying regarding certain background characters, with that info guy being the biggest offender.

The duels are great...except whenever they go for the storm access path. That being his signature skill ruins the duels for me especially when he uses it almost every duel (The one sole exception being his master duel with revolver, but of course he wins because of the card he obtained via storm access in the previous episode where he didn't get to show it off).

I'm hoping to see fusions/Xyz/Synchros soon. I don't like how much link monsters have restricted the other extra deck monsters and then they don't get a moment of appearance in duels too. It's just special summon spam in the duels here too, link monsters are mostly boring to me at the moment as well.

Yusaku is fine to me so far with his personality. The thing is, Batman had a Robin to shine light on his darkness, giving blue angel, ghost girl or someone else who's lighthearted and interacts with Yusaku more should help accomplish seeing more facets of him and influence him as well. He just needs a bigger support cast, which hasn't been established yet, but they are slowly building towards it. I'm willing to be patient.

The director change was good. Series really needed that. I think i'll just take a break from the series until it hits 30 or so and binge watch again.

Top Bottom