• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS revealed, 6th anime series airing Spring 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing new for this franchise

latest

Hopefully the new mechanic is focused on. Attributes,ritual, synchro, Xyz and Pendulun are alla level based mechanics.

And fusion has become a type based mechanic

listen i'm just getting though 5Ds right now and still can't get over the final duel from the first season

i don't think i'm ready the shit zexal and arc-v are gonna throw at me

Fj0823

listen i'm just getting though 5Ds right now and still can't get over the final duel from the first season

i don't think i'm ready the shit zeal and arc-v are gonna throw at me

That's from Zexal. Which was pretty bad. Like really bad, like "I am done with this fucking franchise" bad

(but the card designs are cool!)

Arc V is quite good IMO, mostly because it follows a single ongoing plot which drives the "sagas"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not gonna lie, that Ace Monster looks pretty awesome.

I enjoyed much of Arc-V (I'll probably get around to finishing the last two seasons soon enough), so I'm going into this with optimism.

PSA: For those of you who wanna enjoy a childhood favorite reborn, I implore old-school Digimon fans to give Appmon a chance!

Escargo

Not gonna lie, that Ace Monster looks pretty awesome.

I enjoyed much of Arc-V (I'll probably get around to finishing the last two seasons soon enough), so I'm going into this with optimism.

PSA: For those of you who wanna enjoy a childhood favorite reborn, I implore old-school Digimon fans to give Appmon a chance!

I gave Appmon like a 2 episode try. It was terrible. Arc -V is actually good until the latter parts imo

Not

Banned
Does this series ever have any female protagonists?

Or hey, do any of the Super Sentai series ever have female leaders?

Can things that have women as main characters be aimed at boys? Or is that too far for Japan?

Sandfox

Does this series ever have any female protagonists?

Or hey, do any of the Super Sentai series ever have female leaders?

Can things that have women as main characters be aimed at boys? Or is that too far for Japan?

Kakuranger, Timeranger, and Gekiranger have female leaders. These series are all made for the toy sales though and the female character stuff tends to sell less. It the same reason why the sixth rangers are almost always gold and/or silver.

There's stuff out there with female leads targeted at males.

New summoning mechanic (Link Summon) and rules.

What I found interesting
*Extra Deck Monsters, like Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, and Link, cannot be Summnoned to the Main Monster Zone, beware!

– What has been the [Monster Zone] up till now is now the [Main Monster Zone]
– The [Pendulum Zone] is on the left and right of the [Spell & Trap Zone]. You can use it as a normal [Spell & Trap Zone], but when you place Pendulum cards there, it is treated as the [Pendulum Zone]

The Zones Pointed at by Link Markers Can be Used to Bring Out Extra Deck Monsters
Although Extra Deck Monsters can only be Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone Normally, if you have a Link Monster in the Extra Monster Zone, the Zones pointed at by their Link Markers can be used to Summon Extra Deck Monsters! So if you get out a Link Summon quickly, you can bring out Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Monsters in succession. Of course, you can Summon another Link Monster in one of these Zones, so if you play your cards right, you can fill your entire Main Monster Zone with Extra Deck Monsters! The new metagame will require careful consideration of where to place monsters!

And I thought Pendulum summoning looked complicated when iy first came out...
Part of the reason it's so confusing is that it's completely rewriting the rules for more than just the new monster type. Basically you can't even summon monsters from the extra deck anymore without using the new zone or new link monsters (not clear to me if this also applies to pendulum monsters who were destroyed and sent to the extra deck). They also changed pendulum monsters to make the pendulum zone part of the normal spell trap zone, so you can't have 5 spell traps and 2 pendulum zone cards anymore (additionally only two specific spell trap spots can be used to set pendulum cards)

Sandfox

The biggest thing about these rule changes is that it weakens every deck in the game and massively slows the game down. A lot of decks might actually be unplayable now.

And I thought Pendulum summoning looked complicated when iy first came out...

It's not that complicated compared to pendulums. Basically you can only normally bring out extra deck monster into the new extra monster zone. If you decide to summon a link monster into the zone then any other monster zone touching that one can have an extra deck monster summoned to it and you can repeat this process to increase the amount of extra deck monsters you can summon.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

i don't think i'm ready the shit zexal and arc-v are gonna throw at me

Even has far as 5D's, you ain't seen nothing yet. The final duels sure are something.

The biggest thing about these rule changes is that it weakens every deck in the game and massively slows the game down. A lot of decks might actually be unplayable now.

It's not that complicated compared to pendulums. Basically you can only normally bring out extra deck monster into the new extra monster zone. If you decide to summon a link monster into the zone then any other monster zone touching that one can have an extra deck monster summoned to it and you can repeat this process to increase the amount of extra deck monsters you can summon.

Except it actually completely ignores two of the current strongest decks: Monarchs and Kozmos, since they don't use the extra deck

Yeah. Decks like my Fluffal one which have Fusion spam mechanics are hit pretty freaking hard. This is going to kill so many decks.

Yeah, it just took some time to read and reread it all. And I think the Link Monster has arrows pointing to the areas that can also summon from the Extra Deck, not all adjecent zones.

Is this is the biggest change in Yugioh history? Synchro and Xyz were big, but this rewrites the rules more than ever.

Sandfox

Except it actually completely ignores two of the current strongest decks: Monarchs and Kozmos, since they don't use the extra deck
I'm expecting Konami to go after those decks to push link summoning.

Is this is the biggest change in Yugioh history? Synchro and Xyz were big, but this rewrites the rules more than ever.
Arguably, but Xyz was a really big change in retrospect with how broken a lot of them are while being easy to spam.

Yeah. Decks like my Fluffal one which have Fusion spam mechanics are hit pretty freaking hard. This is going to kill so many decks.

Yeah, it just took some time to read and reread it all. And I think the Link Monster has arrows pointing to the areas that can also summon from the Extra Deck, not all adjecent zones.

Probably imo. It changes EVERYTHING. Also Linked monster can point to opponent zones, which can help balance really powerful link monsters (and some might take advantage of this by gaining extra powers when opponents use them to link)

I can see more card with effects like Ojama king that allow you to specify specific monster zones to be inaccessible, because those will have way more power if you can use them to specify the zones that would be most advantageous for linking. I imagine there will also be cards that will specifically stop linking from occuring in specific zones
Kozmo hasn't been strong since dark destroyer went to 1.

There are casual decks that can punch its teeth in consistently.
fair enough, I don't follow that closely. But they're still one of the few decks that laughs at these changes

Sandfox

I can see more card with effects like Ojama king that allow you to specify specific monster zones to be inaccessible, because those will have way more power if you can use them to specify the zones that would be most advantageous for linking. I imagine there will also be cards that will specifically stop linking from occuring in specific zones

fair enough, I don't follow that closely. But they're still one of the few decks that laughs at these changes

I actually think allowing people to block off zones after these rule changes might be too much of an advantage.

I actually think allowing people to block off zones after these rule changes might be too much of an advantage.

I mean, I also expect cards to come that allow you to swap the contents of two monster zones, which would allow stuff like summoning more non Link extra deck monsters with just one link monster

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Sounds pretty interesting...

Also this makes it seem like they'll have Fusion/Synchro/Xyz/Pendulum in the new series like Arc-V did, as opposed to how 5Ds and Zexal basically ignored the other summoning methods beyond the ones introduced for the show.

Damn these rules changes are insane. Gonna be crazy seeing the duels in effect now. I thought the next logical change would be a buff to field spells and how they effect the field and rules but instead its another summoning lol.

Jebusman

Banned
So at the start of a duel, you can only summon extra deck monsters to the new "Extra Monster Zone" (and this means everything, Fusion/Summon/Xyz/Synchro and new Link), but if you summon a "Link" monster to the new Extra zone, you can now summon Extra Deck monsters to the now "Main Monster Zone", but only to the places where the Link monster arrows point?

And some Link monsters are going to have arrows that point sideways, so if you summon a Link monster to the Main zone (thanks to having one in the Extra zone), you open up even more spots to summon Extra Deck cards.

Link Monsters can never be face down (can't Book of Moon them).

If you Monster Reborn a Extra Deck Monster who somehow made it's way to the graveyard, you just summon it to the Main Monster Zone.

If you have no monsters in the normal zone, but a monster in the Extra Monster Zone, your opponent still has to attack that thing first, before they can hit you directly (essentially giving you a 6th monster slot).

That's some stuff to unpack.

Edit: wait wait wait wait wait. If the link monster has arrows pointing forward, does that mean I'm enabling my opponent to extra summon to his main zone?

So at the start of a duel, you can only summon extra deck monsters to the new "Extra Monster Zone" (and this means everything, Fusion/Summon/Xyz/Synchro and new Link), but if you summon a "Link" monster to the new Extra zone, you can now summon Extra Deck monsters to the now "Main Monster Zone", but only to the places where the Link monster arrows point?

And some Link monsters are going to have arrows that point sideways, so if you summon a Link monster to the Main zone (thanks to having one in the Extra zone), you open up even more spots to summon Extra Deck cards.

Link Monsters can never be face down (can't Book of Moon them).

If you Monster Reborn a Extra Deck Monster who somehow made it's way to the graveyard, you just summon it to the Main Monster Zone.

If you have no monsters in the normal zone, but a monster in the Extra Monster Zone, your opponent still has to attack that thing first, before they can hit you directly (essentially giving you a 6th monster slot).

That's some stuff to unpack.

Edit: wait wait wait wait wait. If the link monster has arrows pointing forward, does that mean I'm enabling my opponent to extra summon to his main zone?

yes

Huh, came in expecting to see something about the new anime and left questioning everything I know. Should be fun but I expect a bunch of people will ignore the new rules and carry on playing the current way on a casual level. Hostelry though, between this, the current format and speed duels, Konami seemingly want to introduce plenty of different ways to play the game. Hopefully they look into legacy formats at some point like I believe MtG has. (I don't play MtG so correct me if I'm wrong.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom