• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: ARC-V might be the best in the series and you should watch it (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

latest

Excited for the new YGO movie with the original cast? I´m not. I´m patiently waiting for each new episode of this new series...it is all I need for my YGO fill.

seriously Holy Shit, this series is great! It´s basically a love letter to YGO. Ill try to keep the big reveals as vague as possible

The Plot

Note; I refuse to use the lame names from the dub.

Coming from the dumpster fire that was ZEXAL I really had low expectations on this one, and seeing it start as a school-lifey "Wanna be the very best" series similar to ZEXAL worried me a lot. But the series slowly twists itself into a series with a looming threat, a sense of hopelesness and an all out war between duelist factions.

Summary of the plot as follows:

Series main character Yuya Sakaki aspires to be an entertainment duelist (A duelist who makes every duel a show for the audience and makes them smile) just like his missing (of course) father.

Yuya attends to the You Show Duel School his father founded with her friend/not-so-subtle love interest Yuzu Hiragi and some other kids, there they learn the most basic kind of duel strategies mostly based on tribute summoning, all focused on entertainment.

Rich Kids in town attend the LEO Duel School, directed by series rival Reiji Akaba, there they exclusively learn the most advanced strategies, based on Fusion, Synchro and Xyz summons from the previous series.

Everything changes when Yuya´s cards misteriously morph during a duel into Pendulum Monsters, making Yuya the first person able to Pendulum Summon.

This catches Reijis attention and he decides to obtain the Pendulum Summon for his School, resulting in him orchestrating a tournament between schools...

Ok no seriously hear me out, don´t leave, it gets much better.

During this time Yuzu encounters a young man who looks exactly like Yuya,this guy has extremely powerful Xyz Summons, more powerful than anything in LEO Schools.

Yuzu investigates the kid until eventually finding out his name is Yuto, a survivor from a dimension where duelist only know about Xyz Summons (Later revealed to be an alternate Heartland from ZEXAL) which was devastated by military invaders from another dimmension calling themselves the Fusion Academia which only know of Fusion summon (They are later revealed to be a twisted version of GX´s Duel Academy)

Yuto and his comrade Shun start attacking everyone in Yuya´s town using Fusions trapping them inside cards (A la Pegasus from the Original) and later they become involved into the LEO School Tournament...soon enough it is revaled that many of Yuya´s friends participating in the tournament are actually agents from the Fusion Dimmension, sent to pave the way for a full scale invasion on Yuya´s Standard Dimmension, also Yuya and Yuto discover a strange connection going far beyond their looks.

After a giant confrontation withwith former friends resulting in several losses, Reiji from the LEO school anounces that he knew about the invaders all along, and that the tournament between Duel Schools was just a way to select the best warriors possible to start a counter attack on the Fusion Dimmension. The Team is named "Lancers" and Yuya and his surviving friends,Reiji and his little brother, plus Shun are selected as Lancers and they embark on a desperate mission to warn the Synchro Dimmension about the war in an attempt to gain new alies for the upcoming battles.

The Characters

Yuya Sakaki; Obsessed with being an entertainer Yuya often gimps his duel strategies in favor of giving a good show, during the course of the series he will constantly question his philosophy of dueling for fun and making people happy, or winning quickly and mercilessly in order to save lives. Discovering the Pendulum Summon allows Yuya to quickly evolve as a duelist...but what kind of duelist?

His deck is half a Circus mascot deck full of cute animal characters for when he wants to put up a good show, the other half of his deck are powerful dragons and magicians for when he needs to reck shit. Eventually he learns to Fusion, Synchro and Xyz Summon too. His ace card is the Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon

Yuzu Hiragi: A girl who loves music and dueling, she's Yuyas best friend. Probably one of the better female characters in the franchise (Which is not saying much) as she keeps the plot going by herself during most of season 1, even when in distress she´s always fighting. Her deck focuses on Fairies named after classical music composers, eventually she learns to fusion summon.

Reiji Akaba: The CEO of LEO Corporation and LEO School, while he is a serious but kind man and his intentions to stop the fusion dimmensions are noble, his methods are very questionable. His deck is based on Famous Kings, Philosopher´s and Inventors. Reijis massive skills allow him to perform fusion, synchro,xyz, and pendulum summons in a single turn.

Yuto: A young man from the Xyz Dimmension who looks just like Yuya, his ace card is the Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon

Yugo: A young man from the Synchro Dimmension who looks just like Yuya, like everyone on the Synchro Dimmension he duels on a motorcycle, his ace card is the Clear Wing Synchro Dragon

Yuri:A young man from the Fusion Dimmension who looks just like Yuya, he´s the third in command of Academias Invading Forces, a cruel kid with a misterious agenda. his ace is the Starvenom Fusion Dragon.

The Duels

Duels are played with the official advanced TCG rules with a twist, The field and monsters are real and inflict real damage with the bonus of being able to find Bonus Action Cards hidden on the field as you move through the duel. This duels are called action duels and fix the amount of situational BS on a character´s deck (And real TCG) by making Action Cards the situational BS itself.

Nevertheless the Duels are personal, fun and with high stakes.

References to other Series

While the series itself exists in a completely alternate universe the universe is filled to references to previous Yugioh series.

The fusion Academia wears the color of the egyptian gods as rankin. Aster Phoenix from Gx is their commander in chief while Alexis Rhodes is a rebel who seemingly refuses to uses fusions in favor of Rituals

The Synchro dimmension´s duels are played on motorcycles and a reimagined Jack Atlas sits above all duels, bored as no one can challenge him.

The Xyz Dimmension's destroyed and ravaged Capital is ZEXAL's Heartland so this series actually lets you watch ZEXAL burn to the ground! also the only good thing about that series, Kaito, appears as an angry duelist hellbent on destroying everything in his path to avenge his family lost during the fusion onslaught.

Also this intro for the Synchro Dimmension and Xyz Dimmension Arcs are pretty damn cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeeVnopXJ0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdHntLBhFE

For more info please visit our OT!: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797483

I'm eagerly awaiting Starve Venom Fusion Dragon's effect.

I love the monster archetypes introduced in this series.
Fluffals
Phantom Knights
Lunalights

Hopefully Predator Plants are fun to play. Really enjoy that they're filling in the gaps from older monster archetypes.
Can't wait to see what they come up with for Destiny HEROes.

Volimar

I can't watch yugioh anymore. My kid got me into it ages ago and now I have so many yugioh cards...

Cyber dragon deck ftw

I remember 5Ds, it was actually pretty good but then fell off a Bleach sized cliff when the dark signers arc ended, never finished it.

JSoup

Banned
I've been wanting to read all of YuGiOh, but it's such a long damn series no one seeds it anymore and it's expensive to buy.

Man all this sounds pretty cool but holy shit why are there so many fucking summon types? Back when I was into Yu-Gi-Oh, all we had were fusions and ritual summons. Shit sounds power creep as fuck. How do kids even comprehend these new rules?

Man all this sounds pretty cool but holy shit why are there so many fucking summon types? Back when I was into Yu-Gi-Oh, all we had were fusions and ritual summons. Shit sounds power creep as fuck. How do kids even comprehend these new rules?
Who knows because I bought the game on ps4.. I still cant pendulum summon right.

Fj0823

I remember 5Ds, it was actually pretty good but then fell off a Bleach sized cliff when the dark signers arc ended, never finished it.

Theres a real fun story behind that fall from grace.

Carlys VA was discovered to be a member of a weird cult that actively recruited young teens. The scandal forced the 5Ds crew to write out most of their inca cult themes for season 3 onwards...resulting in the "no no they were actually cyborg time travelers not ancient cultists!!"

their actual ideas for the show were damn good. Crow was not going to be a main...for starters.

Funnily the 5Ds crew is making ArcV

Fj0823

How did you feel about the filler arc "Enter the Dragons" Fj0823?

As a kid I loved it because dragons are cool.

Now I realize flaws like character assasinating Mai or shoe horning Rebecca that are not so enjoyable. Also wearing the cards as armor....

But dammit Yugi going apeshit on Weevil was awesome. Yugi vs Rafael was very cool too.

The Grand Championship and Virtual filler arcs were much much worse

Sandfox

As a kid I loved it because dragons are cool.

Now I realize flaws like character assasinating Mai or shoe horning Rebecca that are not so enjoyable. Also wearing the cards as armor....

But dammit Yugi going apeshit on Weevil was awesome. Yugi vs Rafael was very cool too.

The Grand Championship and Virtual filler arcs were much much worse

After rewatching that filler I realized that Dartz is a horrible human being who didn't deserve the redemption he got.

Haha, wow that was something else! Also it's such a crap plot device, since all it does is give a character an extra card whenever they need one.

That's why the card is banned irl and will never come back.

wildfire

Banned
After rewatching that filler I realized that Dartz is a horrible human being who didn't deserve the redemption he got.

Dartz was up against the equivalent of Sauren's ring of power. The stone's corruptive influence already was tearing his home city Atlantis apart before he got in charge. It's things like these I feel made this filler arc simply the best filler of all time. The villain wasn't one dimensional. Enter the Dragon's relied on past events to build towards some great character moments that I feel were handled better than even in the last arc with Yugi vs the Pharoh. It's because they carefully considered past events I feel Mai's character wasn't assassinated.

The arc never felt out of place from the rest of the continuity like other fillers tend to do.

Sandfox

Dartz was up against the equivalent of Sauren's ring of power. The stone's corruptive influence already was tearing his home city Atlantis apart before he got in charge. It's things like these I feel made this filler arc simply the best filler of all time. The villain wasn't one dimensional. Enter the Dragon's relied on past events to build towards some great character moments that I feel were handled better than even in the last arc with Yugi vs the Pharoh. It's because they carefully considered past events I feel Mai's character wasn't assassinated.

The arc never felt out of place from the rest of the continuity like other fillers tend to do.

Even then he "killed" millions of people and the things the way he manipulated his henchmen was horrible. He was pretty much the most evil villain in the entire series.

I would argue that the filler does feel out of place though because it pretty ignored the character development characters like Kaiba and Joey got at the end of Battle City in order to maintain the status quo, but this is true for the other filler in the series after that arc as well.

Fj0823

Even then he "killed" millions of people and the things the way he manipulated his henchmen was horrible. He was pretty much the most evil villain in the entire series.

I would argue that the filler does feel out of place though because it pretty ignored the character development characters like Kaiba and Joey got at the end of Battle City in order to maintain the status quo, but this is true for the other filler in the series after that arc as well.

I can agree with this.

Fj0823

So you're saying Yu-Gi-Oh is back and more dangerous than ever?

They even curse, bleed and show partial nudity!

you gaf fruitcakes will never understand!

I stay can't get over the protagonist literally inventing a new game mechanic in the middle of a duel and no one calling him out on it.

Also is Zexal the future of Yugioh like 5Ds or is it another universe or?

ZEXAL is a different universe unrelated to the original trilogy or Arc V.

ARC V only uses its location and characters it a template for the Xyz Dimmension. The characters themselves are completely reimagined.

Similarly the Synchro Dimmension is heavily Based on Neo Domino City from 5Ds and the Fusion Dimmension is an evil version of the Duel Academy Island from GX

Sou Da

I stay can't get over the protagonist literally inventing a new game mechanic in the middle of a duel and no one calling him out on it.

Also is Zexal the future of Yugioh like 5Ds or is it another universe or?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It seems like each of the three AUs are almost like if that series' protagonist never existed---Judai helped curb some of Duel Academia's more elitist policies, here Duel Academia has basically gone full Nazi Youth. Yusei helped bridge the gap between Satellite and New Domino, here "the City" is even more dysfunctional with an even wider gap between the rich and poor quite literally. And in Zexal Yuma helped stop an invasion from destroying earth, while here Heartland was successfully invaded and basically destroyed.

I don't know if they ever plan on incorporating the previous protagonists though in any way.

I think the anime kind of got stuck in the mud with all the Tops stuff in the most recent arc that lasted just about the entire year, it was a bit too repetitive with it.

But otherwise Id have Arc-v as my favorite but close tie with Zexal and 5DS for me.

This series has best duelist ever though, Sora!

Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon best dragon,
Raid Raptors and Des-toys best decks.

Fj0823

It seems like each of the three AUs are almost like if that series' protagonist never existed---Judai helped curb some of Duel Academia's more elitist policies, here Duel Academia has basically gone full Nazi Youth. Yusei helped bridge the gap between Satellite and New Domino, here "the City" is even more dysfunctional with an even wider gap between the rich and poor quite literally. And in Zexal Yuma helped stop an invasion from destroying earth, while here Heartland was successfully invaded and basically destroyed.

I don't know if they ever plan on incorporating the previous protagonists though in any way.

I kinda doubt it the series doesnt really need a Duel Jesus Yusei coming and sweeping Academia to stay interesting.

Edit: Agreed on Odd Eyes love the giant chicken.

dity

This is on TV right now so I decided to check out this thread and yeah, I am definitely interested!

Fj0823

This is on TV right now so I decided to check out this thread and yeah, I am definitely interested!

I would advise not watching the dub. Even though it isnt nearly as bad now theyll be likely to butcher the darker elements later on...

Isn't this the one where the dude's power is to pick what card is at the top of his deck?

That shit is stupid broken.

that's the original series, Yugi/Yami does that(they bullshit and say it was heart of the cards but at the end its revealed to literally be magic)

that's the original series, Yugi/Yami does that(they bullshit and say it was heart of the cards but at the end its revealed to literally be magic)

Yeah but I thought that in this one it was an actual power that the main character has, not just bullshit plot magic.

Akiraptor

Arc-V was a pleasant surprise for me. Took a few episodes to get going, but it's not at all a bad show especially compared to the dumpster that came prior (Zexal).

I had left off on episode 38. Was without Internet for quite a while and when I got it set up again I was too busy catching up on other seasonal shows.

Think I'll start catching up now. What's it up to, 100 or so?

Are they out of the Synchro Dimension yet?

Sianos

Some friends getting back into the Yugioh card game prompted me to rewatch some of the older anime (with subtitles this time). Glad to hear the newer seasons are turning out well.

Theres a real fun story behind that fall from grace.

Carlys VA was discovered to be a member of a weird cult that actively recruited young teens. The scandal forced the 5Ds crew to write out most of their inca cult themes for season 3 onwards...resulting in the "no no they were actually cyborg time travelers not ancient cultists!!"

their actual ideas for the show were damn good. Crow was not going to be a main...for starters.

Funnily the 5Ds crew is making ArcV

Interesting, it's always neat to find out what behind the scenes happenings lead to the alterations of shows - and usually explains otherwise inexplicable moments and changes.

Yubel from season 3 of GX was a much more interesting character in the Japanese version, but the dub wrote around that in a mediocre way and as a result the final season was never aired either. Didn't they (if I remember correctly) write around Jaden's sexuality in the dub as well?

Fj0823

Isn't this the one where the dude's power is to pick what card is at the top of his deck?

That shit is stupid broken.

Youre thinking of Zexal

And the original...

Think I'll start catching up now. What's it up to, 100 or so?

Are they out of the Synchro Dimension yet?

Recently got out,Half the team is in the Xyz Dimmensiom,some missing,other in the fusion dimmension

Yeah but I thought that in this one it was an actual power that the main character has, not just bullshit plot magic.
It wasn't just plot magic it was actual real in universe magic, Yami got to the point he didn't even look at what card he drew cause he used his powers to draw whatever he wanted

Fj0823

Was looking up stuff on the wiki and

Those dub names, really? Yuzu was changed to Zuzu?

Ugh

Why can't 4Kids just die.

Not only that. Its Zuzu Boyle. Get it? Because shes like Susan Boyle!! They both like music!

And lets not mention Gong Strong and Declan Akaba....or fucking Dipper.

The best part is that 4kids is dead. And its death might have been for the worse.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom