• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS |OT| A Link Between Worlds.

A.J.

Banned
Crow absolutely sucks, but I think his 5D's version sucks more for replacing Aki. Sawatari was always a joke so nothing of value was lost
Sawatari felt like one of the few entertainment duelists who were actually entertaining. I loved how he wove a story for his plays when he dueled Yugo. And his interactions with Serena were great. But yes no developments happened for him so he remained a joke. But that isn't Sawatari's fault that the writers couldn't give him something like Manjoume got.

Fj0823

Sawatari felt like one of the few entertainment duelists who were actually entertaining. I loved how he wove a story for his plays when he dueled Yugo. And his interactions with Serena were great. But yes no developments happened for him so he remained a joke. But that isn't Sawatari's fault that the writers couldn't give him something like Manjoume got.

I've always hated what they did to Manjoume, he was a man pressured by his family to be the best then he rejects it all and becomes Ojama Comic Relief.

But his development died so Syrus' could rise.It was soooo satisfying looking at him in that sexy Blue Coat.

A.J.

Banned
I've always hated what they did to Manjoume, he was a man pressured by his family to be the best then he rejects it all and becomes Ojama Comic Relief.

But his development died so Syrus' could rise.It was soooo satisfying looking at him in that sexy Blue Coat.

He got to beat Edo in the end and ended up on the pro circuit so that is something.

Sandfox

Agreed, I'll throw some Aki character assassination in there too.

Disagree.

Yuri
finally bitting it was great
,Everyone jobbing to Z-Arc
was great for me too, if you are talking about Yuya
taking challenges while looking for Yuzu in the epilogue,
then yes those were boring AF.

But still, I liked the Ending better than 5D's. Only Because Z-Arc was properly set up and he was so stupidly OP. ZONE was a fucking joke, Hell Aporia was a fucking joke...

Also I liked Arc-V's
because Yuya and Yuzu stay together at the end, Kingdom Hearts II style...poor Axel..I mean Kurosaki though

Fuck 5D's "different careers, sorry bitch" BS.

But Overall 5D's is my favorite series by a large margin, despite my problems with it. The first 2 arcs are THAT good.

The Original's Virtual Arcs, Dragon Arc, and specially Fairy Tale Arc Drag it down to 3rd place for me. I also kinda hated the final arc, but that final duel totally redeems it in my eyes

I know they are technically filler, But Konami pushes cards from those sagas quite a bit. So they're impossible to ignore.
I threw the Aki stuff in with the Carly thing because that caused them to cut her story, though they could have just came up with some else other than screwing over Rua and Aki to push Crow.

The problems I personally had with the end of Arc-V were:
-Leo turned into an incompetent villain when it came time for him to actually do stuff
-We had to sit through episodes the mind control subplot only for it to end with a wet fart where the doctor just gets carded without a duel or any resolution
-Zarc just being a demon Yuya when he already had a design made no sense and was disappointing
- After a series worth of buildup Zarc's entire character is that he become obsessed with becoming the strongest duelist and somehow became a literal demon trying to destroy the work. I was also a bit mixed on his connection to Ray
-The Z-Arc duel was too long and watching people job to a terrible character for 5 episodes is hard
-The post Z-Arc stuff was terrible and felt like it was just there to pad out the show
-Yuzu got shafted with her last duel being in episode 83 and then there's the whole part of removing her until the last minute of the series with no payoff for Yuya's 80-90 episode journey to rescue her finally coming to an end
-The 5Ds characters getting more focus than people from the main cast. "Why let Gongenzaka or Sawatari win a duel when we can have Jack and Crow handle business"

Fj0823

Wow, Link summon looks even more visually boring than Pendulum summon, that's quite the achievement.

Synchro and Xyz still kings

Episode 2 was a bit better than that mediocre first episode.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This show's confusing....like the duel was good enough and I like Yusaku and Ignis' rapport well enough, but I feel they rushed quickly into the plot here instead of letting things build up a bit first.

.JayZii

Banned
Does that new summoning method slow things down? I only vaguely keep up with these things, but pendulum summoning seemed completely out of control.

Fj0823

Does that new summoning method slow things down? I only vaguely keep up with these things, but pendulum summoning seemed completely out of control.

LMAO

No. People might tell you they do, don't listen to them, they're bad.

They're fast as fuck and super easy to summon. The only reason people say this is because they added a minor inconvenience to summon the other types of monsters.

Most of players have already found ways around that inconvenience for our decks.

Also for the record, Pendulum decks can be easily beaten by good decks without them

.JayZii

Banned
LMAO

No. People might tell you they do, don't listen to them, they're bad players.

They're fast as fuck and the only reason people say this is because they added a minor inconvenience to summon the other types of monsters.

Most of players have already found ways around that inconvenience for our decks.
It just looked like the intention of introducing the mechanic, I wasn't told it by anybody.

Not surprised people have already adapted, though.

Fj0823

It just looked like the intention of introducing the mechanic, I wasn't told it by anybody.

Not surprised people have already adapted, though.

To be honest the intention is "The other stuff sucks now because we say so, if you want to play fast you're gonna have to buy the new stuff"

Funny enough, the current meta in Japan is dominated by decks without Links.

Links are just faster Synchros, they don't need tuners, or adding levels for an exact value, or matching the same levels like Xyz or having your level in between two values like Pendulum.

You have 2 random monsters, you have 1 or 2 links already and said links will likely give you more monsters

Sandfox

To be honest the intention is "The other stuff sucks now because we say so, if you want to play fast you're gonna have to buy the new stuff"

Funny enough, the current meta in Japan is dominated by decks without Links.

Links are just faster Synchros

That will change as more content is released.

Fj0823

That will change as more content is released.

Oh yeah that's for sure, it'll be sad going back to only seeing one color at the tables in my stores.

Say what you will about the anime but the Pendulum era was great for variety, I can't believe they regressed for the follow up

gryvan

So i guess konami wants to move over from traditional format into the mobile format (ie 3 monster zone/3 spell/trap zone with special skills included) and in the future they'll incorporate link summon into the mobile game

that 40 million download

Fj0823

So i guess konami wants to move over from traditional format into the mobile format (ie 3 monster zone/3 spell/trap zone with special skills included) and in the future they'll incorporate link summon into the mobile game

that 40 million download

Kinda, they still have 5 zone duels in the series. This is likely just the new Turbo Duel/Action Duel Gimmick

Also, they really underestimate how many people play Duel Links just for the nostalgia, adding a ton of new mechanics to that game might not sit well with the players.

I would leave Duel Links as the short and sweet nostalgia rush game it is.

A.J.

Banned
Kinda, they still have 5 zone duels in the series. This is likely just the new Turbo Duel/Action Duel Gimmick

Also, they really underestimate how many people play Duel Links just for the nostalgia, adding a ton of new mechanics to that game might not sit well with the players.

I would leave Duel Links as the short and sweet nostalgia rush game it is.

The big thing is that it allows them to mulligan their card pool. But they have to keep adding cards so that people keep buying packs.

Sou Da

You know on paper I like every idea here but they really rushed into it too quick.

I still really enjoy the idea of the protagonist being a proactive vigilante type.

Fj0823

lol they even included Duel Link style skills
That was really dumb and will likely become the BS excuse to constantly Save MC, like Action Cards or to a much lesser extent, Speed Counters

Also, I'm totally trying that one at an official tournament

"You see Judge, my skill allows me to ignore the Ban List, I Summon Chaos Emperor Dragon, GG"

Sou Da

That was really dumb and will likely become the BS excuse to constantly Save MC, like Action Cards or to a much lesser extent, Speed Counters

Also, I'm totally trying that one at an official tournament

"You see Judge, my skill allows me to ignore the Ban List, I Summon Chaos Emperor Dragon, GG"

To be fair if that were in say a video game, that skill would be shit. RNG monster grab dependent on if you go into a certain area during the duel.

A.J.

Banned
These first 2 episodes were interesting. I'm curious to see how skills usage evolves because I'm guessing Yusaku gets to keep the cards he grabs from the storms.

Poppy

who is the dark magician girl of yugioh these days? is it still just dark magician girl?

do they still censor american cards or is it all unified at this point

JudgeN

Don't think this series is going to do it for me, it just felt slow and I didn't feel a single ounce of hype for the first duel.

Fj0823

who is the dark magician girl of yugioh these days? is it still just dark magician girl?

do they still censor american cards or is it all unified at this point

Censorhsip, yes but not as much as before

The Dark Magician Girl is still the Magician Girl of Yu-Gi-Oh,she even has a new look

latest

But she also has quite popular friends now
latest

latest

latest

Chica_maga_&
(This one is never coming out for TCG apparently)

And my personal favorite, Broken Back Magician Girl

Fj0823

why wasnt there magical girl tribal when i played, damn you takahashi, damn you konami

It's never too late to jump back my friend.

Waifu decks have been a thing for a while.

VRAINS is introducing even more with the Trickstars

OT: VRAINS has a marketing campaign going guest starring...Yuma and Astral.

https://youtu.be/zg4RwBtD--8

Because if there's something that will make people like your show is putting it side by side with the franchise's lowest point. That way it looks better.

Its actually because Zexal is on reruns...but still

So in the newest episode the AI thing just straight up eats a person. Granted it was in the virtual world, but they made a point that damage in the virtual world affects the real body as well soooo....

Fj0823

Wow episode 3 was such a chore to watch for me

They're throwing so much shit out and we haven't had a single character interact in any way, let alone be likeable.

Every episode is just tons of boring exposition and Link monsters haven't even been explained!!...Why so little YuGiOh in my YuGiOh?

At this point in Arc-V the characters were learning about how Pendulums work by...playing YuGiOh in a YuGiOh anime.

In 5D's at this point we had both Ridding Duels and Normal Duels presented to us.

Characters themselves are going all Evangelion 3.0 on us, they just drop cryptic lines and then go away.And now we even have Not-SEELE

Ignis is the only likeable character at the moment, I want him to get more followers and go full Ultron :D

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So...the frog was supposed to be the avatar of Yusaku's classmate, right? And then the pigeon was...?

I found that scene legitimately funny though with the Yusaku impersonators

Well, next episode has Toku-style wrestlers so it can't be all bad, right? I'm starting to think this is gonna be a show I love to hate-watch lol.

Fj0823

So...the frog was supposed to be the avatar of Yusaku's classmate, right? And then the pigeon was...?

I found that scene legitimately funny though with the Yusaku impersonators

Well, next episode has Toku-style wrestlers so it can't be all bad, right? I'm starting to think this is gonna be a show I love to hate-watch lol.

I'm already at that point.

The game is we knew it died...For This?

Ah well, Goukis are looking cool so next week might be better.

I remember using that phrase a lot during ZEXAL...

Sou Da

I don't have a lot to say but I must admit I thought this episode did "Pro-Wrestling Yu-Gi-Oh" pretty damn well, melodrama and all.

I swear I'm like the only person having no real problems with this.

It's keeping me mostly entertained and isn't a dumpster fire like the beginning of ZEXAL was, imo.

Show has been added to Crunchyroll, episodes coming every wednesday.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS is now available on Crunchyroll to members worldwide except Asia, France, Canada, Australia, Italy (including Vatican and San Marino). Episodes 1-3 are now available to free users, and episode 4 is available to premium only until next Wednesday. Make sure to catch the newest episodes every Wednesday! http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-991773/yu-gi-oh-vrains-on-crunchyroll-now

Oh cool, now I can watch it in HD lol.

Although new episodes of original YGO is gonna come out and its the end of the Noah arc so that will be fun. Yugi vs Noah was one of my fave filler duels.

Top Bottom