• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS |OT| A Link Between Worlds.

Joqu

Oh fine, I guess I'll watch this if it's on crunchyroll already. I did not expect that.

latest

And yes. This needs to be adapted already dammit.

Slayven

Ireally like this, the main dude is a nice change up and i liked they dumped the goofy school friends into just one character.

Fj0823

Would you look at that, a decent episode.

Really liked the way Decode Talker behaved in the ring, gave it a lot of personality.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Say what you will about Zexal but I thought it was easy to identity with the characters---VRAINS just hasn't done that at all...I think the most sympathetic character is Yusaku's classmate lol.

But I agree the second Go episode was pretty nice, and I'm looking forward to how Aoi turns out.

Fj0823

Say what you will about Zexal but I thought it was easy to identity with the characters---VRAINS just hasn't done that at all...I think the most sympathetic character is Yusaku's classmate lol.

But I agree the second Go episode was pretty nice, and I'm looking forward to how Aoi turns out.

Yuma's shitty friends not withstanding, I agree.

Zexal's main characters had some semblance of personality even if they never really develop.

Yusaku is Yusei done very,very wrong. He really needs a Rally/Aki to show some empathy and likeability.

But sure keep him silent and only open his mouth to treat Ignis like shit. That makes him so likeable and cool!

Yugi>Yusei>Yuya>Judai>Yuma>Yusaku

What? I like Yuusaku (if I had to rank, Yuuma is my fav and Yusei is 2nd fav), Yuusaku is certainly better than Yugi and Juudai.

VRAINS AI is a good companion to Yuusaku, as well as Shoichi , everyone else who isnt a Knight of Hanoi is meh.

Yuma's shitty friends not withstanding, I agree.

Zexal's main characters had some semblance of personality even if they never really develop.

Yusaku is Yusei done very,very wrong. He really needs a Rally/Aki to show some empathy and likeability.

But sure keep him silent and only open his mouth to treat Ignis like shit. That makes him so likeable and cool!

Yugi>Yusei>Yuya>Judai>Yuma>Yusaku
I feel like the point of Yusaku's character is that he has a lot of room to grow and open up, so hopefully he'll get better as time goes on

Fj0823

I feel like the point of Yusaku's character is that he has a lot of room to grow and open up, so hopefully he'll get better as time goes on

Today's episode.

*Girl pours her heart out to him*

Yusaku:
giphy.gif

*Ignis tells him something's weird*

Yusaku: *Ignores*

In order to make the opening up part work he needs to show some empathy, a spark of humanity waiting to surface. He doesn't have it at the moment

Yami had it when he first communicates with Yugi after he starts fearing him. (Keep in mind that it was late season 1 when we learned Yami is a different character)

Yusei had it when he defends Rally and otheir good people from asshats

Yuya and Jaden worked in reverse, they were open and happy to hide their complexes. Their moment of growth is them accepting sometimes things are not fun and games.

Only decent thing about Yusaku is that he too considers "Neo the Magic Swordsman" a trash tier card.

Koumori Dragon is the true OG.

Right now, Aizen is the most interesting character in the show...and she's kind of a discount Sinon from SAO.

Wow this episode was really good, Trickstars are such a good deck.

Couldn't she have used Reincarnation during Yusaku's draw phase? Decode Talker was possible because of Draconnet and it would have done more damage.

Interesting to see that Aoi can achieve Blue Angel's hairstyle in real life, glad that her brother actually cares for her.

Fj0823

Well today's episode should put all the "But it's slower" BS to an end.

Link Spam is hilariously easy to pull

On the episode, it was pretty good. Aoi is still the series most interesting character, and I'm not even joking. It's almost as if having a motivation beyond generic rage is good.

Surely she will join Aki and Yuzu in the "You almost made a good female character!!" Hall of Fame

Watch Da Birdie

Duels definitely are a step up from Arc-V, and even though Yusaku has a bit of a DEM-power I still get the sense he has control of the situation even without that and legit planned for every possibility befitting his character...

It's just that everything else about the show is bland right now, I still don't have any real expectations about the plot or desire to see what so-and-so character is about. Looking forward to a VRAINS game hopefully soon just so I can play around with the Link mechanics while enjoying a more condensed, to the point plot.

All these dragons just look really bad especially Cracking Dragon and Topologic Bomber Dragon, Im hoping we get good designs soon.

Still best duel so far, Playamaker being pushed to his limits is incredible.

Wasn't expecting Revolver to have the same skill as Playmaker, even more now that Ignis said it was his own personal skill. He still has a set card so he should be safe from that 2300 damage.

I was expecting Revolver to use the Vullet monsters, but I guess that will happen next episode since it seems they are going to have another duel in the form of Master Duel, excited for that.

Fj0823

Episode 8 and 9

500x1000px-LL-2458dac7_Django-leonardo-dicaprio-now-you-have-my-attention.gif

Excellent duels and Yusaku worrying for Aoi is exactly what I said he needed, he's getting better.

Still not a fan though

Hopefully they make Link Summons shorter cause they're getting annoying, Xyz in Arc-V are the best way to show quick summons in succession.

Just show the monsters placing themselves in the arrows->Anime Explotion->Link Monster appears please

Sandfox

Episode 8 and 9

500x1000px-LL-2458dac7_Django-leonardo-dicaprio-now-you-have-my-attention.gif

Excellent duels and Yusaku worrying for Aoi is exactly what I said he needed, he's getting better.

Still not a fan though

Hopefully they make Link Summons shorter cause they're getting annoying, Xyz in Arc-V are the best way to show quick summons in succession.

Just show the monsters placing themselves in the arrows->Anime Explotion->Link Monster appears please
They'll shorten the animation for stuff after a while. I wouldn't expect it for new cards though.

Fj0823

Everything is still ugly in this episode, Three Burst Blast Dragon looks like a poor mans Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon :(

Is VRAINS even being well-received?

Doesn't seem like it's that popular but doesn't seem to be hated either. Excitement seems similar to early Zexal Era TBH "Maybe this episode will finally get interesting!!"

For me, it's just boring, IDGAF about anything that's happening, the show has given me zero reason to care.

Arc-V was initially carried by it's likeable cast and the growing mystery of the masked duelist and Sora who used Xyz and Fusions in "The Pendulum series" that gave it the novelty of a Yugioh series with people actually playing YuGiOh with all it's type of cards.

Going back to

"Ha! Now you can't use Links anymore!"

"Shit! I only have two level 4 monsters and I can't Link! There's absolutely nothing else I can do in this game to counter this except for an asspull"

Is really not sitting well with the people I know.

I don't think people want to go back to that.

Its been crap. I started to dislike the show from the Go Onizuka episode.

Those 2 faced kids pissed me off. So freaking unrealistic and just dumb.

The Blue Angel BS is also annoying.

Yusaku's design has grown on me as Playmaker but still almost as bad as Yuma who was the worst designed.

Speaking of design, really dislike how the bottom feeder's nose is designed. Like wtf art designer?

At least it should get interesting with Hanoi soon so there is a chance of redemption. But right now its just barely above Zexal as a show which is the lowest rated show on my YGO ranking.

A.J.

Banned
I was impressed that it only took a few episodes for Yoshida to knock the female character out of dueling. This has to be a new record for him.

Finally get to see Revolver's vullet, I mean varret monsters. A good thing about this being simulcast is that we get to know the localized names way in advance.

So the full potential of Link Monsters are in Master Duels but it seems like we're going to be seeing much more Speed Duels compared to it.

This Fire Prison is such an OP anime card, Revolver/Hanoi Knights really hate Cyberse. Wonder if his comatose Dad has something to do with the hate, the Sol Tech executives must have been talking about him when they were wondering how Hanoi can control the Data Storm.

Edit: Oops, this is Episode 10

Fj0823

I was impressed that it only took a few episodes for Yoshida to knock the female character out of dueling. This has to be a new record for him.

At least this won't hurt as much as Aki and Yuzu.

She'll wake up and be so grateful to Playmaker she will crush on him and cheer for him in every duel...

Okay this half of the duel is starting to get really exciting.

Do the Cyberse cards not have defense? When they showed one in the anime it only showed Atk at the bottom then link -3???

Fj0823

Okay this half of the duel is starting to get really exciting.

Do the Cyberse cards not have defense? When they showed one in the anime it only showed Atk at the bottom then link -3???

Cyberse is a Monster Type like Spellcaster or Warrior

Link Monsters are the ones with no defense because they cannot be in any form of defense position, ever.

That's why they use that space for their Rating (The Link equivalent of Level or Rank)

LINK-3 = A rating 3 Link Monster which means it needs 3 materials to be summoned

Watch Da Birdie

Gotta say plot is still lame (but kind of kicking in I guess with WTF's up with Yusaku?), but this duel has been pretty cool---and I think Topologic Bomber Dragon looks pretty radical. Revolver's main Dragon, uh Varrel Load was it?, isn't as cool looking but I loved its attack with Revolver flipping on his shade lol.

I wanna finish watching Arc-V but despite Crunchyroll having everything else up, Arc-V ends with that shitty pirate episode that pissed me off.

Fj0823

I think part of me likes this more out side of the duels then the duels themsevles, though all the revelations and teases at the end and AI's body, very compelling.

Honestly I think they're blowing their loads a little too early with some things, while not even bothering to develop some other stuff, like giving Yusaku an actual personality beyond smothering with generic rage.

Honestly I think they're blowing their loads a little too early with some things, while not even bothering to develop some other stuff, like giving Yusaku an actual personality beyond smothering with generic rage.

did the staff change from this and arc-v? arc-v felt like it had tighter and stronger writing than vrains has had, comparing first arcs.

This latest episode made me realize that Yusaku has a lot of counter generators and cards with effects in the grave.

Are they going with Revolver and him knowing each other in the past? That's what it seems like.

I really enjoyed Barreload Dragon's attack animations.

Glad that Aoi is finally out of the coma, too bad her brother is getting demoted/fired.

Looks like Emma might be investigating the hot dog cart in the next episode, hope we can see her Altergeist monsters soon.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm honestly excited to learning more about the frog and pigeon next episode.

This week was a recap episode....

Why can't Kusanagi recognize Emma, the only thing different is that she's not wearing a face mask.

Fj0823

I've been thinking about what would I do to make this series more interesting to me, and this is what I would change

-Keep the "All Summons" from Arc-V to increase variety but make a point early on the series about how the new Extra Monster Zone only allows one Extra Deck Monster at a Time

-Hacker Groups are seen as cheating scum since they hacked LINK VRAINS to program Link Monsters into existence, allowing them to be the only ones able to bypass the 1 Extra Monster Limit

-The Knights of Hanoi are seen as the worst of them all as they not only cheat but terrorize "legitimate" players

-Yusaku/Playmaker has his serious personality and all but 3 things (lol) are different. 1) He finds Ignis fascinating and likes him even if he sometimes annoys him he also finds hacking and Link Monsters fascinating. 2) He doesn't have amnesia and his goal is clearly explained 3) He believes Link Monsters have a place in modern duels despite their bad reputation.

-Keep Aoi just as she is but drop the generic Wrestler guy entirely, substitute him with an Joey Wheeler type of character, a fun dude who plays Goukis

-The plot itself is Spider-Many, Playmaker saves people from Hanoi but has a bad reputation due to being a hacKer himself for using Link Monsters in addition to The other summons.

-Yusaku shows the world that Links are cool and they should totally buy them by the end of season 1.

What do you guys think? I tried adding the aspects I've liked from previous series without changing the core of the show.

I've been thinking about what would I do to make this series more interesting to me, and this is what I would change

-Keep the "All Summons" from Arc-V to increase variety but make a point early on the series about how the new Extra Monster Zone only allows one Extra Deck Monster at a Time

-Hacker Groups are seen as cheating scum since they hacked LINK VRAINS to program Link Monsters into existence, allowing them to be the only ones able to bypass the 1 Extra Monster Limit

-The Knights of Hanoi are seen as the worst of them all as they not only cheat but terrorize "legitimate" players

-Yusaku/Playmaker has his serious personality and all but 3 things (lol) are different. 1) He finds Ignis fascinating and likes him even if he sometimes annoys him he also finds hacking and Link Monsters fascinating. 2) He doesn't have amnesia and his goal is clearly explained 3) He believes Link Monsters have a place in modern duels despite their bad reputation.

-Keep Aoi just as she is but drop the generic Wrestler guy entirely, substitute him with an Joey Wheeler type of character, a fun dude who plays Goukis

-The plot itself is Spider-Many, Playmaker saves people from Hanoi but has a bad reputation due to being a hacKer himself for using Link Monsters in addition to The other summons.

-Yusaku shows the world that Links are cool and they should totally buy them by the end of season 1.

What do you guys think? I tried adding the aspects I've liked from previous series without changing the core of the show.

If you worked for Konami and actually directed YGO anime, we'd have a better show and the cards would probably sell better.

Fj0823

Did...did I just watch a robot fucking a duel disk?

AGhost Girl's Link Summon with the circuit at her feet looked freaking cool...why in God's name did we spend 12 episodes with the awful "jumping into portal" Link Summons?

I like Emma a lot.

Main Plot is still boring as fuck

Wow this duel was good, Ghost Girl actually uses multiples of the same monsters! Another duel to show that Links don't really slow stuff down lol. She only link summoned once though to be fair

Glad to finally have a new Link Summon animation, the jumping into the air got old really fast.

That burn at Ignis was great. Hope there's more to Emma than just wanting money

Okay the one track with the vocals in it in todays episode was pretty good.

I feel like the data storm is doing more harm than good in the duel, the previous series didnt have intrusions that stopped the flow of duels IMO, like the action duel in YGO ARCV or D-wheel.

Top Bottom