• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 6th anime series announced, airing April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applebite

Yugioh hair was always ridiculous but I feel like it really took a leap after 5Ds. Someone else pointed out that it looks like parts of it were clipped on, which just looks super unnatural. Don't get me wrong, Yugi still has super fucking weird hair, but it kinda looked coherent. Kinda. I think the premise sounds neat though.

Fj0823

Couldn't fuck with arc, how can you go from 4 armed angels to a hippo based deck?

Its not Hippos, it's a Troupe of Animal Circus performers

The point of his character is that he likes to use cutesy cards to entertain people and make his spectators have fun

When shit starts hitting the fan he is forced to use cards like this:

latest
Or this

There are points where he has to choose playing the way he's comfortable with, or playing his more powerful cards to win quickly and avoid people being turned into cards. But that has a price

Slayven

Its not Hippos, it's a Troupe of Animal Circus performers

The point of his character is that he likes to use cutesy cards to entertain people and make his spectators have fun

When shit starts hitting the fan he is forced to use cards like this:

Or this

There are points where he has to choose playing the way he's comfortable with, or playing his more powerful cards to win quickly and avoid people being turned into cards. But that has a price

Do either one have a sword so big they have to have a special set of arms to swing it?

Sandfox

Couldn't fuck with arc, how can you go from 4 armed angels to a hippo based deck?

Arc-V starts off interesting, but it starts to drop off after a while due to weak plot and duels. Some of it has to do with the 20th anniversary movie eating into the budget.

I hated how Yuya was a flip flopping protagonist. That's just me. I don't know how the final arc is going tbh. I dropped it like at the end of the synchro tournament.
Also I still hate Action cards.

I haven't watched Yu-hi-oh since GX...like what's the plot now? Are those puzzle pieces still in play? Is yugi/pharaoh even mentioned? Or make an appearance?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Doesn't like to stand out, but has THAT hairstyle. Yeah, ok.

So, Arc V is ending already? I haven't watched in about 6 months, but I thought the should would go on for a bit longer.

Sandfox

I haven't watched Yu-hi-oh since GX...like what's the plot now? Are those puzzle pieces still in play? Is yugi/pharaoh even mentioned? Or make an appearance?
They are all their own thing.
Doesn't like to stand out, but has THAT hairstyle. Yeah, ok.

So, Arc V is ending already? I haven't watched in about 6 months, but I thought the should would go on for a bit longer.

All of the spinoffs outside of GX have gotten three years before being replaced.

Fj0823

GX characters appear in Arc V but reworked into completely different roles for a new story with new protagonists.

Arc V is pretty good, even if the end is a getting a bit rushed

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

The newer series are mostly their own thing. 5Ds is technically in the same Universe as the original series and GX, but no old characters show up.

5Ds is in THE FUTURE, and has Cardgames on Motocycles. Evil Cultists want to take over/destroy the world, got to stop them, yadda yadda yadda.

Zexal has some nonsense with Aliens and numbers. It's bad, don't watch it.

Arc V is Multi-dimensional Card games. The characters must save the Multiverse from the evil dimension! Also you can now run around like an idiot and pick up cards on the ground.

mjontrix

Based on comments I've seen, a lot of people have turned on it and I don't think the current perception of it in Japan is all that positive.

The tournament arc literally killed the series.

"Tournament" arcs are a BAD IDEA unless you know how to execute them properly (Dragon Ball, HxH with Heavens Arena, Boku No Hero Academia).

Fj0823

The newer series are mostly their own thing. 5Ds is technically in the same Universe as the original series and GX, but no old characters show up.

5Ds is in THE FUTURE, and has Cardgames on Motocycles. Evil Cultists want to take over/destroy the world, got to stop them, yadda yadda yadda.

Zexal has some nonsense with Aliens and numbers. It's bad, don't watch it.

Arc V is Multi-dimensional Card games. The characters must save the Multiverse from the evil dimension! Also you can now run around like an idiot and pick up cards on the ground.

Pretty much.

All the series are fine for an anime about card games saving the world.

Except ZEXAL which is irredeemable trash.

Sandfox

The tournament arc literally killed the series.

"Tournament" arcs are a BAD IDEA unless you know how to execute them properly (Dragon Ball, HxH with Heavens Arena, Boku No Hero Academia).
The tournament in Arc-V was dragged out because they were also working on the 20th Anniversary movie at that time.

Gorillaz

season 1 of OG is still the greatest thing I've ever seen

yall remember when kaiba tried to guilt trip yugi in that one match? breh stood on the edge of the cliff and said "try me"

he was bitchmade for that

Joqu

I haven't kept up with Arc V, the tournament thing sort of made me lose my interest, but I did have a pretty good time with that so I guess I'm interested

But yeah, I can't say I care much for yugioh's technology creep. Plenty of crazy stuff in the earlier series but the world felt reasonably current day and I enjoyed that. It felt fresh when 5Ds did it but afterwards? Really wish they'd move away from that stuff but I guess it wouldn't be "cool" enough after these really futuristic series. The gimmicks they're so fond of now always just end up feeling like the weakest parts to me though.

Hm, I always liked the mysticism, I hope there's some of that there.
...But I guess they still had that up until Zexal. Yuck.

And having Zexal Arc V take place in different universes didn't sit right with me either. It doesn't have to be connected in the slightest but there was something nice about everything taking place in one world. I'm not sure why they felt the need to move away from that. I wonder if they're doing the same thing here. They probably are.

cleaner ver of that mc pic
news_header_yugioh.jpg

kinda surprised they haven't said the title name considering it will start in ~3 months or so

He looks less annoying than the last two. Might watch if it's as good as 5Ds. Also:

CARD GAMES ON SKATEBOARDS!

EDIT: Also, the Signers arc of 5Ds was godlike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom