• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

Quite OT but again you didn't said directly europeans are stupid, but you continue to claim xbox360 not sell more of ps3 just because offer less services than the US counterpart & not because ps3 is more close to europeans 'tastes'.

What exactly are those European 'tastes'? I never made such a claim and that is you projecting quite frankly. I said that brand name is clearly a factor (and as i said this doesn't just apply to sony and the European market). I also don't believe the lack of services is the only reason the 360 struggles in Europe but is definitely one of the factors.

Edit: If anything you're the one who is making Europeans out to be stupid. I am saying that Europeans have a very good reason to prefer the PS3 to the 360 (MS not bothering to give them the same features and going back to a brand they know is quality). You're the one saying things like the 360 is struggling because it 'smells of american'.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Is AMD still selling their multicore CPUs that are halfway between hyperthreading and full cores? I hope this isn't that BS.

This is the jaguar CPU which is the successor to the bobcat which is completly different than the bulldozer line. The idea behind the bobcat was small, power efficient and better IPC and single threaded performance than other small processors. You can read more about the jaguar here. It is the polar opposite of the disaster of the bulldozer.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/08/28/amd-let-the-new-cat-out-of-the-bag-with-the-jaguar-core/

regs

I'm guessing it will be a branch of Windows 8 code. If they don't need 2 GB, then some can be standby and make multitasking snappy.

But fuck the ads.

I am using 4 gigs of memory after having my PC on for 9 days, multiple tabs open in firefox (session hasn't been closed in over a week) Photoshop, Steam, Chrome (with tabs) and several other applications running.

A console OS does NOT need 2gb of memory, a console OS doesn't need 1gb of memory, especially considering it is a closed system.

BlackJace

why does everyone say dat now? are you all gansta rappers all of a sudden!?!?!

ScpW.gif

i-Lo

As I am still playing KoTOR 1, I can't help but wonder how close to THIS will we get to next gen and imagine a new KoTOR game at about 80-90% of this graphical fidelity and animation (cloth physics incl.). Of course, every human would have to refrain from looking like they are came from a cloning facility.

this is all conjecture, but every rumour we had tended towards modesty. a profitable fortification of their post kinect console position and a valuable appendage of the W8 ecosystem.

given a combination of factors, i feel like MS is once again willing to take a bath on the hardware for the first couple of years at least:

- low power set top boxes from established names and smart TVs would have eaten the lunch of a more modest convergence device.

- W8 does not have a killer app. it, or some derivative will be absolutely central to the device. it's gone from being an appendage to likely be positioned as the W8/Blue/9 vanguard. it's all about the proprietary infrastructure.

- new consoles receiving tepid responses, accompanied by a lot of developer noise regarding the requirement of a significant leap.

- emerging technologies like the oculus rift and whatever hair brained kinect schemes are being cooked up will require significantly more grunt than media centre parts.

- ads are proving far more profitable than initially predicted, making hardware losses even better value as an opportunity cost
This is almost certainly what happened. The leaked 2010 brochure made it sound quite a bit less powerful than what it looks like we'll be getting.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 ... gawd damn!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
fuck, its january. much too early to be this hyped for next gen

vg260

this is all conjecture, but every rumour we had tended towards modesty. a profitable fortification of their post kinect console position and a valuable appendage of the W8 ecosystem.

given a combination of factors, i feel like MS is once again willing to take a bath on the hardware for the first couple of years at least:

- low power set top boxes from established names and smart TVs would have eaten the lunch of a more modest convergence device.

- W8 does not have a killer app. it, or some derivative will be absolutely central to the device. it's gone from being an appendage to likely be positioned as the W8/Blue/9 vanguard. it's all about the proprietary infrastructure.

- new consoles receiving tepid responses, accompanied by a lot of developer noise regarding the requirement of a significant leap.

- emerging technologies like the oculus rift and whatever hair brained kinect schemes are being cooked up will require significantly more grunt than media centre parts.

- ads are proving far more profitable than initially predicted, making hardware losses even better value as an opportunity cost

Hm, I could agree with these. PC gaming seems to be building momentum too.

What about Live subscriptions? People hate paywalls, but maybe all those Live subs combined with ads puts them in a better spot to use beefier hardware. Worth the trade-off?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
As I am still playing KoTOR 1, I can't help but wonder how close to THIS will we get to next gen and imagine a new KoTOR game at about 80-90% of this graphical fidelity and animation (cloth physics incl.). Of course, every human would have to refrain from looking like they are came from a cloning facility.

based on tech demos we have seen, i dont see why that couldnt be doable. whether or not we ever get a kotor 3 though.... another story

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I am using 4 gigs of memory after having my PC on for 9 days, multiple tabs open in firefox (session hasn't been closed in over a week) Photoshop, Steam, Chrome (with tabs) and several other applications running.

A console OS does NOT need 2gb of memory, a console OS doesn't need 1gb of memory, especially considering it is a closed system.

I don't think you know what standby memory is.

Right now my Windows 8 bedroom HTPC, which is just running neogaf and netflix, is using 2160 MB of active RAM and 3626 MB standby. Granted I've got several builds of MSVC in WinSxS loaded from different drivers, and MS can standardize on 1 or 2 sets to reduce memory usage, but even then I'd still be using at least 2 GB with active+standby combined.

Windows 8 never truly shuts down by default. Hybrid shutdown keeps the kernel and several parts of user mode in memory. By keeping that in standby cache, previously opened apps will open directly from RAM...ie instantly. For consoles that's a good idea, because I hate how OS menus laggily load in game.

This isn't 1996 guys. RAM is cheap as hell and can be used not just for active memory, but caching.

SSD--->RAM--->CPU cache
Instant loading

Not
5400 RPM HDD------>CPU

Top Bottom