• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

Just give me King Kong and Tintin, Ubi.
I'm surprised Ubi still has the rights to sell King Kong after all these years. Usually movie licenses don't last that long. I wish EA still had the rights to sell The Godfather games and I could still buy them on Steam.

Glass Rebel

Oh I know

zlA2pSj.gif

I played both AssRev and AssCreed3 on the PC and I never had a save issue. however, reading JaseC's AssCreed4 save issues has really made me hesitate on jumping into that game. I wonder if some games are just more prone to Uplay save issues than others.

Authority

Banned
For the new page

How is DMC4 on Steam? 60FPS consistent, good graphics options?

Yes Sir. But do yourself a favor. I am going to try and see how much it works. If I still crash now and then, I would have to play it on Direct9.

Remove this fucking piece of shit update - KB2670838 for Windows 7.

Hi, the one problem i would try is deleting one Windows update. If you have Windows 7, try to delete an istalled windows update called (Platform Update KB2670838). This fixed my Lost Planet 1 and 2 and Resident Evil 5 (DirectX based games 9,10). Also made Just Cause 2 fully playable without further crashes. Onestly: Microsoft Don´t give a ♥♥♥♥ if your games won´t run in their OS. Note: IF YOU DON`T HAVE WIN 7, DON´T TRY IT! Stick with the DX 9.

man all these mario kart gifs make it look like easy goty. i'm running out of excuses not to get a wii u.

I just want to blindly get it just because. I'd be rocking Stone Cold Killer Weegee all day, e'ry day.
I find the Wii U to be a much better complementary system to PC than X-Bone or PS4 right now, for what that's worth. Has more distinct titles that aren't readily available elsewhere compared to the other two platforms either due to the novelty of x game's genre or thanks to their level of polish, at least while Microsoft and Sony are preparing to expand their respective catalogs. Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, SM3DW, The Wonderful 101, NSMBU (+ Luigi U), TWW HD, ZombiU, the "real" Rayman Legends (with its originally intended touch-screen interactions) and DKCR: Tropical Freeze for games that are currently available, with Bayonetta 2, X and Smash Bros. 4 to look forward to soon-ish. That's a very solid selection of games sans the upcoming E3 announcements, even if the Wii U's third-party situation is quite frankly lackluster. Honestly though the latter's a bit of a moot point, and the same can be said about the prevalence of indie games on any of the above: you want to be buying third-party games on PC anyways for obvious reasons if you have a capable rig and the majority of the indie titles will end up on Steam (or other DD services) eventually if not simultaneously.

Then again I'm also big on platformers, so my view on the subject may be a little biased.

guacamelee is the shit, it doesn't deserve to be unclaimed even for a minute.

Agreed 100%. The world needs more Guacamelee.
After having played Outland on XBLA recently, Guacamelee just pales in comparison in almost every aspect. I wish Ubisoft wasn't so reluctant to port it over because more people need to play this game.

That luigi one is amazing.
ibhZ41xGB0X5uW.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm surprised Ubi still has the rights to sell King Kong after all these years. Usually movie licenses don't last that long. I wish EA still had the rights to sell The Godfather games and I could still buy them on Steam.

Yeah, the usual length of film licences seems to be about 3 years, which is pitifully short. Tintin can't be long for this digital world as the game released in October 2011, but there's a possibility that Ubi was also contracted to develop a video game tie-in to Jackson's upcoming sequel, in which case it'll stick around.

I find the Wii U to be a much better complementary system to PC than X-Bone or PS4 right now, for what that's worth. Has more distinct titles that aren't readily available elsewhere compared to the other two platforms either due to the novelty of x game's genre or thanks to their level of polish, at least while Microsoft and Sony are preparing to expand their respective catalogs. Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, SM3DW, The Wonderful 101, NSMBU (+ Luigi U), TWW HD, ZombiU, the "real" Rayman Legends (with its originally intended touch-screen interactions) and DKCR: Tropical Freeze for games that are currently available, with Bayonetta 2, X and Smash Bros. 4 to look forward to soon-ish. That's a very solid selection of games sans the upcoming E3 announcements, even if the Wii U's third-party situation is quite frankly lackluster. Honestly though the latter's a bit of a moot point, and the same can be said about the prevalence of indie games on any of the above: you want to be buying third-party games on PC anyways for obvious reasons if you have a capable rig and the majority of the indie titles will end up on Steam (or other DD services) eventually if not simultaneously.

Then again I'm also big on platformers, so my view on the subject may be a little biased.

After having played Outland on XBLA recently, Guacamelee just pales in comparison in almost every aspect. I wish Ubisoft wasn't so reluctant to port it over because more people need to play this game.

ibhZ41xGB0X5uW.gif

I'm not a fan of that gif as much, but the DK glare is pretty good too.
Why the hell is Metal Mario dancing like that and stopped in the middle of the track?

Also, I've played and beaten Outland and it was solid, but I wouldn't personally put it in the same league as Guacamelee. Still, it was good enough that I'd probably rebuy for PC if it was on Steam and on sale ... replaying it at some point would be something I'd probably consider.

Knurek

Jim Sterling said:
If Valve put half as much effort into having storefront standards as it does info freeing itself of responsibility, Steam would be a utopia.

Oh well... Can't say that doesn't have a truth in it...

ibhZ41xGB0X5uW.gif
GIF made me LOL

Also, I've played and beaten Outland and it was solid, but I wouldn't personally put it in the same league as Guacamelee. Still, it was good enough that I'd probably rebuy for PC if it was on Steam and on sale ... replaying it at some point would be something I'd probably consider.
Personally, the only thing Guacamelee did better was the combat against standard enemies. That in itself isn't much to write home about since that element is already fairly undercooked in both games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There is no retroactive Modbot disqualification process. If you send two separate messages trying to enter the same giveaway, only the first counts. If you send one message with two codes, neither counts. If you accidentally enter something, a) Calm down next time and think for five seconds first, and b) don't worth about it unless you win and if you win, re-give it after nuking it.

Ban Puncher

Dead Rising 3 on Steam? Whelp, there goes the only reason I would consider getting one of those new Kinectless Xbones.

Thanks for saving me 500 odd bones, Capcom.

JaseC

Wasn't it Xbox One exclusive? or was just timed exclusivity?

It remains to be seen whether ownership of the game has changed hands to Capcom (in which case a PS4 release is possible) or if the PC release is Microsoft's doing (in which case a PS4 release is not possible). I'd assume the latter, though.

Echoplx

Wonder why the beta client won't show Sniper Elite in my library when uninstalled, shows up normally in the stable client.

Personally, the only thing Guacamelee did better was the combat against standard enemies. That in itself isn't much to write home about since that element is already fairly undercooked in both games.

I disagree. Guacamelee had better core platforming mechanics and it's combat is some of the best 2D combat I've ever experienced. Guacamelee is simply one of the best Metroidvania type games I've ever played.

It remains to be seen whether ownership of the game has changed hands to Capcom (in which case a PS4 release is possible) or if the PC release is Microsoft's doing (in which case a PS4 release is not possible). I'd assume the latter, though.

Were details about Dead Rising 3's funding ever revealed? As you've said, we don't know why the PC version appeared in the Steam DB... but I didn't think "ownership" of Dead Rising 3 went to MS -- the franchise is definitely Capcom's (AFAIK)... so unless it's a Bayonetta 2 type situation where Microsoft funded and published DR3, it seems like it'd be a timed exclusivity, no?

I see it has full controller support... but then I see an aiming cursor in the trailer...
If you get it and decide to play it with a controller, I'd be curious to know if it plays like a standard twin stick shooter instead of the right stick moving the cursor in place of the mouse.

JaseC

Were details about Dead Rising 3's funding ever revealed? As you've said, we don't know why the PC version appeared in the Steam DB... but I didn't think "ownership" of Dead Rising 3 went to MS -- the franchise is definitely Capcom's (AFAIK)... so unless it's a Bayonetta 2 type situation where Microsoft funded and published DR3, it seems like it'd be a timed exclusivity, no?

Not as far as I'm aware, but if Microsoft funded the game itself then for all intents and purposes it owns the game... for the time being. I imagine publishing rights are set to revert back to Capcom after a certain period of time -- think Mass Effect, which didn't hit the PS3 until December 2012, as part of the trilogy set.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, played and beat Among the Sleep yesterday, here's some of those impressions of mine.

header_292x136.jpg

Among the Sleep is a first-person horror game where you play as a Toddler. The game is a bit more of an experience game, or if you will, a 'Crawling Simulator', though there are a few physics-based puzzles, and a few occasional sections where you get stalked by a monster.

It's your second birthday, and your mom has given you a teddy bear for this special occasion. However, when left on your own in your playpen, the bear begins to move and talk on its own devices. Soon it tells you it wants to show you something, but you need to be in the dark...

As a toddler, you can crawl, walk, and run a bit (though running for a while will make you trip). Crawling is faster than walking, and you can fit under tight spaces, but walking let's you seem more and interact with higher-things. There are a variety of objects to interact with and pick-up in your environment, and the physics of objects are all pretty well handled. You can also climb up onto objects that are waist-high for you.

With these mechanics, you are let off to explore and interact with things to progress. The first half of the game is more of a straight-up 'Crawling Simulator' type of game, as while there are some small puzzles and some good atmosphere, nothing really comes to hunt you... That is, until the second half of the game.

ss_0ce54e9b6b31c88d64c7126e7fb03575c65a6d9b.600x338.jpg

Sound design is top-notch. The music is appropriately odd and somewhat mystical, but what really needs to be mentioned is environment sounds. As a 2-year old, the world is still a foreign and strange place, and sounds we as adults find familiar take on strange properties through the imagination of a child. The sound design is legitimately unnerving and creepy, and is honestly one of the first horror games in a long while that I've been this impressed with how it handled its sound design. It leans perfectly on the thin line between the familiar and the strange and terrifying.

Graphics and art direction also deserve mention. The game looks good, with a sort of unique creepy cartoony-fantasy look that really fits the tone of the game. The art direction is also extremely well handled, especially in the later locations, and contain a lot of imagination and visual imagery that is easy to stick with you. The game gets more surreal as it goes on, and gets more twisted, and the imaginative art direction makes quite a few visual splendors to behold.

Scariness is subjective, but while the game could of maybe been scarier with a few more tricks, I would say it did manage to unnerve me, surprise me, and tense me up on a few occasions. The sound design made me not want to continue every now and again, and the few encounters with monsters were appropriately tense and scary.

But the monster encounters are very few, which is both in my eyes a good thing and a bad thing. On one hand, the two different monsters the game has never became overly familiar due to how infrequent they were, and both managed to really tense things-up whenever they did appear, and provided interesting challenges and context to situations. But on the other hand, there were many sections, especially in the middle part of the game, where I felt a little too safe.

The game maybe could of dared to be a little scarier and explore a few of the possibilities it raises with it's fantastic atmosphere and a few implied danger scenarios that don't actually lead into anything, but arguably its infrequent quality is what helps the game stay tense.

ss_cea5c3553498860b514fc58672423304bbf42d13.600x338.jpg

The story was interesting, while not entirely too surprising, I would say that it was handled rather well. Some nice use of symbolism throughout.

But it's one flaw is that it's rather short, being about 2-4 hours long. Those two to four hours are rather well-done, but it did leave me wanting more at it's conclusion, and some may not want to pay $20 for a 2-4 hour experience.

But Among the Sleep is a good little horror game that will likely stick with you some after completing it. It doesn't rely overly on jump scares, and unnerves with atmosphere, fantastic sound design, strange moments, and a few infrequent monster encounters. It's short and sweet, and will likely be appreciated by fans of 'Walking Simulator Experience' type of games with a little more gameplay, and horror fan who especially appreciate atmosphere.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So ideally at E3 Capcom will confirm DR3 PC's release for this summer along with a Steamworks patch for both DR2/OTR.

Then MS will show off Fable Anniversary and Halo 1-4 (and DR3)as the start of their PC initiative and hint at more to come- Killer Instinct and Ryse.

That would be great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
at this rate we are never getting all bemine 13 bundles, they need to lower the bundles needed for ech tier fast, Im not sure what they were thinking really, the bundle doesnt have anything really famous to begin with

The_Monk

Dead Rising 3 on Steam is great news, I wonder if it's going to be a demanding game? (graphics wise).

Either way, well done, now give me FORZA 5 please (never going to happen).

Exuro

So ideally at E3 Capcom will confirm DR3 PC's release for this summer along with a Steamworks patch for both DR2/OTR.

Then MS will show off Fable Anniversary and Halo 1-4 (and DR3)as the start of their PC initiative and hint at more to come- Killer Instinct and Ryse.

That would be great.
And right before the curtains close they reveal their megaton gfwl2 service.

Any of you guy and gals play A Story About My Uncle?
a-story-about-my-uncli6jzo.jpg

http://gonenorthgames.com/games/a-story-about-my-uncle/

A Story About My Uncle is reminiscent of games such as Gone Home and Dear Esther. It's narrated by a father telling his daughter a bedtime story about his adventures as he searches for his missing uncle. The game is setup by you finding a suit your uncle invented where you're then allowed to be teleported by your uncle's machine. Throughout the game, you'll hear the father and daughter speak mostly when something important happens. I found those moments to be pretty good, but sometimes the father's solo narration is a little bit iffy.

The main hook(pun intended) is that you traverse throughout the game using a grappling hook that comes along your new suit. It's essentially a first person platformer where you'll swing and hook yourself to solid objects. Similar to something like Bionic Commando. You'll find upgrades for your suit as well. They included: having more energy for multiple swings, 3 is the max, a "power" jump that allows you to get to further distances, an "energy pull" that allows you to pull energy from crystals to extend your grappling hook for long distances and rocket boots. Later in the game you'll find all these upgrades useful as some parts get quite tricky.

The game can be quite challenging in some spots so you can probably expect a good amount of trial and error. Once you get the hang of it, the game is really fun. I found myself almost parkouring some spots. There's a time trial mode for those who want to test there skills at getting through the levels as quickly as possible.

Overall, the game is quite enjoyable. The world is beautiful, it has a nice story to it and though somewhat difficult in spots, the gameplay is fun and challenging. I'd give it a try if you're into some of the games I mentioned earlier.

Here's a few pictures I took

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom