• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadbeef

jeremy70583 said:
Ok so i'm just back from shopping for food. Got plenty of meat for main meals (salmon,tilapia,chicken breasts,pork chops,beef steaks), but i was kinda stumped on good protein snacks for between meals. I picked up fruits, but i was looking at the nutrition for other things, and most had more carbs than I expected. I picked up greek yogurt cause i remember you guys talking about it(250 cals in a tiny cup!), and cottage cheese. Next time I go to the store, what would you guys recommend as an in between meal?

Boiled eggs make pretty good snacks. Especially if you soak them in pickle juice for a few days. Cheap pickled eggs. Good stuff!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The impact alcohol has had on my weight training has been minimal. If you keep it to 5-7 shots of vodka a couple times a week you will be fine. This applies during a cut or a bulk. Even seven shots is only 630 calories. How much harm can 630 calories really do to your body?

Prologue

I can do gen chem and orgo but for the life of me, I have trouble wrapping my head around physical fitness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5'7, 160 pounds. From the little I have read, I need 2400 to basic body functions. I want to lose weight by going to the gym and also doing cardio at home, so is 1500 calories a day fine with 6 meals day? I tried to have it 50% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. Is 1500 calories alright or would that be more harm then good?

thank you for your time :)

X-Frame

So this might not sound like a big deal to most of you, but 2 nights ago I actually did 2 sets of 4 pull-ups. First pull-ups in over 4 years.

Reason why I am so happy is because at the end of 2008 I had my second surgery on my right shoulder and it took seemingly forever to heal. Any overhead and pushing movements gave me pain.

So since I've been back in the gym rehabbing after hurting my lower back, I've been struggling to get 10 reps out of 90 pounds on the lat pulldown. But the other night I said fuck it and tried pull ups and everything felt good. You all constantly talking about going 1000 pull-ups a day pushed me. No pain, just weak.

I'm proud of my shoulder. :)

deadbeef

Price Dalton said:
Do you soak them in the shell or out?
Out. I just peel them and store them in a jar of pickle juice in the fridge for a few days before eating them - lazy way of pickling eggs I guess :lol

Sarye

Parch said:
Booze doesn't get much slack anymore. One drink a day used to be considered healthy, but even that isn't recommended. Some of the studies on binge drinking are really negative. A guy can't have any fun anymore.

the one drink a day is healthy study was misconstrued. It was really a glass or two of red wine a day is good for you... and only red wine. It's because red wine is made using the skin and seeds of grape and that's where all the healthiness comes from. You could just eat grapes and have the same effect.

Honestly alcohol being bad for weight loss shouldn't come at a surprise. There is a butt load of calories in one drink of anything and the funny thing with alcohol is that people have no problem knocking back 5 or more. That right there is about 700 empty calories.

No one is saying to not drink though. Moderation (as with anything) is key.

I don't even drink anymore. Well, maybe like 2 beers if I go out with friends.

I was at a friend's graduation party last month and I had 12 beers. Before that I haven't had that many beers in years. By the time everyone fell asleep around 4am, I felt sick. I kept moaning and putting my hand on my stomach. I felt like shit for about two days.

Seriously, it isn't worth it for me at least.

X-Frame

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Not entirely sure. It's like in the middle or slightly above it.

Maybe I'll start squatting again tommorrow. Would front squats be alright for my knee as I've described?

BTW, that squat machine was the one where you have the pads on your shoulders and you have to squeeze the bike-like lever to set the range of motion at the bottom. So basically you start at the bottom and then go up. There's a picture on the machine that shows you all kinds of different squats you can do.
I think something that may immediately help is doing some foam rolling. Do you have access to one at the gym?

The knees are complicated as there's a constant battle for supremacy of the kneecap going on all the time. Sometimes, it may be patellafemoral tendonitis. I had what I thought was that as well, gotten from sprinting too often and squatting at the same time. Just overuse.

It would sti give me trouble when not lifting. Lately though I haven't noticed anything. That's since I started foam rolling.

Also, your hips play a big part in knee health as well. So if you have a poor posture or muscle/flexibility imbalances in glutes, quads, etc it could cause knee pain.

First thing I would do though is foam roll and see how you feel after a week.

A new motivational picture for today

titanic-ice-cube.jpg

X-Frame said:
So this might not sound like a big deal to most of you, but 2 nights ago I actually did 2 sets of 4 pull-ups. First pull-ups in over 4 years.
Congrats, man! Feels great, huh, when you start seeing improvements like that after injury.

Excuse the douchy picture, just thought I would post a picture to show where I am at... Any suggestions what I should workout more? I feel like my chest/traps are lacking... I just cannot seem to work them out effectively. I always leave the gym feeling defeated when I work out either muscle group.

KBG2gm.jpg

Also I would like to point out that my face is swollen in this picture due to a sun-burn that I received a few days prior :p

MjFrancis

Week 2 of my pull/chin-up experiment saw my total up to 233 this week. And my lats are sore! I'm unsure if I will go for this volume next week. I'm relatively sure it cost me two reps on my final 5/3/1 deadlift set this week, though it was still a healthy chunk over the minimum. Next week I may do 4x5 or 4x4 instead of 2x10 weekday mornings (that's 66% of my max, so relatively difficult) and before I press at all Monday afternoon, I'll take the endurance test. Record's 15, this week I only got 13 (it's the 2x10 in the morning, I'm sure) and 20 is within my grasp. I can feel it.

I wasn't in the market for weights, but I was able to find this Hampton set on craigslist last night:

413jLA5NI%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

255lbs Gray Wide-Flanged Olympic Weight Set

I saw it online for $468-$529 brand new, and I was able to snag this, a Tuff Stuff weight bench and Step-out Half Squat Rack for $220. I couldn't believe how cheap he let it go. The weights themselves are near-mint with perfect stickers and zero rust - everything else is in decent to good shape. I'm tempted to just sell this stuff for $400 and use the proceeds to continue fixing up my house (currently painting, ripping out siding, replacing windows, etc). My gym membership has another 15 months on it, so it's not like I would use it much in the meantime.

X-Frame said:
Given your absence from the movement, that is fantastic! I'm glad you shoulder can take it. Baby steps are healthy, getting the tendons and ligaments used to the movement again so you can continue to do them injury-free. Keep us updated on your improvements!

params7

Banned
Are you supposed to feel a stretch in your lower back when doing Romanian/Stiff Legged deadlifts? I started doing them with dumbbells 3 weeks back. Since then my lower back started hurting. Though its gotten better now, I tried to correct my form(chest out, face up, push butt back as far up in the air with knees slightly bent), if the dumbbells go past my knee I feel some stretching in lower back. Is it normal?

Or should I try to bend knees more or work more on the form?

Edit : I also have long legs, don't know if that affects what I'm doing.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
X-Frame said:

Reason why I am so happy is because at the end of 2008 I had my second surgery on my right shoulder and it took seemingly forever to heal. Any overhead and pushing movements gave me pain.

Nice.

My SI joint is messed up and I can't full squat or deadlift. I did some back squats for the first time in months...I might keep doing this after front squats. I tried goodmornings and just couldn't get to 45 degrees so i'll stick to slightly above parallel backsquats.

In 12 years i've never had an injury that prevented me from lifting properly for this long it sucks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devin Olsen said:
Excuse the douchy picture, just thought I would post a picture to show where I am at... Any suggestions what I should workout more? I feel like my chest/traps are lacking... I just cannot seem to work them out effectively. I always leave the gym feeling defeated when I work out either muscle group.

Also I would like to point out that my face is swollen in this picture due to a sun-burn that I received a few days prior :p

Chest and traps definitely.

Your forearms looks kind of small too.

tjohn86

Cooter said:
The impact alcohol has had on my weight training has been minimal. If you keep it to 5-7 shots of vodka a couple times a week you will be fine. This applies during a cut or a bulk. Even seven shots is only 630 calories. How much harm can 630 calories really do to your body?

Maybe I need to start drinking Vodka. I dun goofed and let my beer intake go up, and now here I am 15 lbs heavier. Fuck.

rando14

Devin Olsen said:
Yeah, forearms need a lot of work too, you're right.

Any good sites to find good muscle specific workouts?

Bodybuilding.com and exrx.net are my preferred choices.

Chest isn't too complicated, really. Dumbell bench press at various angles and dumbell/cable flies will do wonders.

Traps are also relatively simple: shrugs. Dumbell, barbell, cable, Smith.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devin Olsen said:
Yeah, forearms need a lot of work too, you're right.

Any good sites to find good muscle specific workouts?

Well for chest you just need to bench more IMO, traps is simply front/back shrugs.

For forearms I make sure I make the last rep for deadlifts/romanian dead lifts take a bit longer. Then I finish up with farmer carries.

Just make sure you're not using straps. You're not mainly using machines are you?

Enco

Reverse barbell/EZ bar curls are good for forearms.

Just like normal curls but you hold the bar from the top rather than bottom.

So eating two chicken breasts a day: Healthy or unhealthy? There doesn't seem to be any real research that I'm aware of. I mean, bodybuildiers eat more than two a day I'm sure and I don't see them dropping dead in their early ages. =\

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Enco said:
Reverse barbell/EZ bar curls are good for forearms.

Just like normal curls but you hold the bar from the top rather than bottom.

Yep, I do those too.

Important with these though, go light till you're used to it. These can mess up your elbow joints.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
So eating two chicken breasts a day: Healthy or unhealthy? There doesn't seem to be any real research that I'm aware of. I mean, bodybuildiers eat more than two a day I'm sure and I don't see them dropping dead in their early ages. =\

I'm starting to eat 2 a day. Assuming you aren't deep frying them and eating them with a bowl of butter, you are fine.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The only concern I'd have are the hormones. The chicken I buy isn't organic. But I eat enough fruits and veggies daily to help cleanse my body.

Hormones? I don't buy organic chicken either but am interested in hearing what you have to say about this.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FallingEdge said:
Hormones? I don't buy organic chicken either but am interested in hearing what you have to say about this.

Hormones they put into chicken to make them have bigger breasts. That's what he's worried about.

Decado

Jason's Ultimatum said:
besides fish, how else are you to get tons of protein with relatively low calories?

Boneless, skinless chicken breast is around 110 calories per 4 oz.

One pound puts you around 440 calories. 2 pounds is around 880 calories with approx 170 g of protein.

That is pretty damn good. And relatively low in calories.

Alienshogun said:
Hormones they put into chicken to make them have bigger breasts. That's what he's worried about.

Ah gotcha. I just eat and don't worry about those things lol.

I see no problem with 2 chicken breasts a day, other than variety. I just picked up several pounds of basa fillets. Been eating one of these half pound fillets every day, in addition to other meats.
If you are making a lifestyle change, you might want to change up the variety a bit with some other protein sources.

Maxim726X

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The only concern I'd have are the hormones. The chicken I buy isn't organic. But I eat enough fruits and veggies daily to help cleanse my body.

They are pumped with hormones for growth, yes... But I've never read any literature stating that they have been proven harmful.

Not as if they alter the chemistry of our body upon eating them, so far as I've read.

X-Frame

parrotbeak said:
Congrats, man! Feels great, huh, when you start seeing improvements like that after injury.

Yes, it even seems to agree with my shoulders more than lat pulldowns do! I'll probably do 5 sets of 3 to keep the reps short but overall volume decent for just beginning.

MjFrancis said:
Given your absence from the movement, that is fantastic! I'm glad you shoulder can take it. Baby steps are healthy, getting the tendons and ligaments used to the movement again so you can continue to do them injury-free. Keep us updated on your improvements!

I'm glad as well! It's not as strict as I want to end at. I want to maybe in a couple weeks be able to do 5 reps with a slight pause at the top to hold the contracted position and really focus on my lats. Right now I feel my biceps may be coming into play too much.

MrToughPants said:
Nice.

My SI joint is messed up and I can't full squat or deadlift. I did some back squats for the first time in months...I might keep doing this after front squats. I tried goodmornings and just couldn't get to 45 degrees so i'll stick to slightly above parallel backsquats.

In 12 years i've never had an injury that prevented me from lifting properly for this long it sucks.

Thanks. What happened to your SI joint?

MrToughPants said:
Nice.

I had a lot of success fixing an SI joint problem with these two vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3DZrYW580&feature=related - evaluation

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkltzrvatlU

Worth a look.

Pretty stupid question but is there a easy way to know if a chicken breast is done when using a pan? I get paranoid about it not being fully cooked and it always ends up dry and overcooked.

JB1981

Two chicken breasts? Like literally two pieces of chicken? You are worded that that is a lot ???? Am I missing something here ...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Started going to a gym gym with machines and shit. Whats a good routine like legs, chest, back, arms and shoulders and what lifts got about an hour or hour and a half. Probably do 5x5.

Maxim726X

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Started going to a gym gym. Whats a good routine like legs, chest, back, arms and shoulders and what lifts got about an hour or hour and a half. Probably do 5x5.

Are you just starting out? 5x5 may be pushing it a bit, if you are.

I have this split currently:

Monday: Lift (mostly deadlifts, traps... Maybe some shoulders thrown in).
Tuesday: Push (Bench presses, and tricep excercises.)
Wed: Off
Thursday: Squat (All legs)
Friday: Pull (Pull ups, lats, biceps).

Do abs every day I'm at the gym.

Not perfect, but it focuses on the Holy Trinity (bench, squat, deadlift) and I've seen huge gains in all of them since I've started.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Back Exercises
Bent Over Rows
Pull Overs
Shrugs
Dead Lift

Upper Arm, Triceps, Biceps
Close Grip Bench Press
Skull Crushers
Dumbbell Kickback
Curls. Preacher and Reverse
Inverted Body Row
Dips

Shoulder
Upright Rows
Press
Front Raise
Rear Delt Row

Chest
Bench Press
Decline Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Dumbbell Fly's

Legs
All the leg machines

Was any others recommend.

kathode

alex chilton said:
Pretty stupid question but is there a easy way to know if a chicken breast is done when using a pan? I get paranoid about it not being fully cooked and it always ends up dry and overcooked.

Get yourself an instant-read cooking thermometer.

I got really lazy with my workouts around the beginning of this year. I was working out, not seeing too many improvements, and took a week off. After that week, I just found excuses to put off going back for 3 weeks!

Then I returned in February and still used excuses to just be extremely irregular about gym attendance: sometimes twice a week, sometimes once, a week off in between etc. Finally, I have recently gotten back on track, though not with the same intensity and focus I used to have.

Going to focus on starting strength and see if I can still get some workout-workout improvements, and if not use some other program.

Also I've gained a fair amount of weight since I didn't moderate my diet in consideration of my reduced activity, and now I will have to go through some serious cuts eventually (probably in the winter).

My lifts are still around the average I left them at:

Squat: 240 lbs. (3 setx5rep)
DL: 325 (1x5)
BP: 170(3x5)
Military Press: 110 (3x5)
Power Clean: 135 (5x3)

Hopefully I'll improve, and stick with it. Probably will need form advice too considering my earlier irregularity.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Price Dalton said:
I had a lot of success fixing an SI joint problem with these two vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3DZrYW580&feature=related - evaluation

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkltzrvatlU

Worth a look.

I added those a few months ago on my yt account. I think I came across them from one of your old posts? Thanks

X-Frame said:
Thanks. What happened to your SI joint?

I hurt my back shoveling snow during back to back snow storms in January. The pain got progressively worse and I just couldn't squat or deadlift after a while. I went to a chiro and he snapped it back everytime i've seen him. But it still keeps slipping because my muscles and hip flexor are too tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom