• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

I really think we should make a new guide in a google doc or something with all the crap that you see thrown around by other 'bodybuilders'. I think this would greatly help all the newcomers.

Anyone up for working on it?

(check out page 7 in this thread. Posts 304, 339, 342 and 344 are all good examples)

MjFrancis

Poindexter said:
I've never maxed out on several lifts (only maxed out on bench honestly) so when people are throwing out (probably bullshit) 1RM figures I get to hear shit. I've mostly stopped talking weights with most people unless I can tell they also have the body to backup their numbers. These guys that I know just started lifting and not a week after they started they were claiming the could squat 400 lbs. When I asked how many reps "Not many! Just like 5 or 6 a set before we get tired." I'm convinced they're using a smith machine, barely bending the knees or just plain lying. Possibly confusing leg press with squat. It's just obnoxious. They also do no upper body exercises because they're concentrating on legs. o_O

One week of training and they're claiming 400 pound squats? Since they probably don't look like linebackers, I could imagine how obnoxious that might be. The numbers game can really get into ego massaging instead of gauging progress. Bragging about an estimated 1RM? Please.

I've got a solid number I've been sharing (pull-ups) and while there's ton of people who can do more or less than me, I'm in it to achieve a personal milestone. It's a goal written on a piece of paper that will help me release endorphins into my brain once I make it happen. Pretending I can do more or do pull-ups with a refrigerator strapped to my waist isn't going to do it for me.

Parch

Those serious concerns with herniated discs are much worse compared to what I went through, but I can offer encouragement. With exercise (especially core) I have it under control and can now do pretty much everything within limits. I still know it's one wrong move or bad form from causing pain but it's controllable and relatively pain and drug free. Knowing how far to take it and knowing when to stop has successfully resulted in recovery for me, but improvement was very slow. Strengthening those core muscles supporting the spine was what helped me.

I would recommend getting addtional medical opinions. Find a doctor or therapist that can come up with exercises that provide improvement. All I can say is don't push it and know your limits. I'm well aware that aggravating the situation by trying to do too much isn't going to help. If a very limited range of motion is all you can do, then just take small steps in the recovery and don't give up if there's a setback. Even small gains are very encouraging, so stick with it. I do believe that doing nothing will never improve the situation.

If the damage is too excesive and therapy is no longer beneficial, then there must be surgery procedures available. Talking to more doctors will help more than anything learned here and serious problems are not going to get fixed on the internet, but there's always hope and a normal life is possible. Good luck.

Pullups are a great benchmark. Many untrained people can't even do one. I can't say I've ever stalled on pullups, My rep count has slowly and consistently increased over the last year. People can still cheat on them though - seen some pretty crazy worm movements.

JCX

What do you guys do for motivation. I've been exercising regularly for about a month, and I've just felt really sluggish and lazy at the gym, on both cardio and lifting days.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Anybody have a good HIIT program I can follow at the gym?

I don't want to be flailing around on the treadmill though if possible.

MjFrancis said:
One week of training and they're claiming 400 pound squats? Since they probably don't look like linebackers, I could imagine how obnoxious that might be. The numbers game can really get into ego massaging instead of gauging progress. Bragging about an estimated 1RM? Please.

I've got a solid number I've been sharing (pull-ups) and while there's ton of people who can do more or less than me, I'm in it to achieve a personal milestone. It's a goal written on a piece of paper that will help me release endorphins into my brain once I make it happen. Pretending I can do more or do pull-ups with a refrigerator strapped to my waist isn't going to do it for me.
Exactly. This is a very vain hobby and everyone has different goals. Even worse are people who criticize goals ("What do you need big traps for?" or "Curls are stupid. You just want teh big gunz"). I don't care what you are working out for. I have my goals and unless I'm doing something that's counterproductive to my goals, STFU.

JCX said:
What do you guys do for motivation. I've been exercising regularly for about a month, and I've just felt really sluggish and lazy at the gym, on both cardio and lifting days.
I feel that way when I don't have a specific goal in mind. Planning a goal, how to reach and setting milestones to that goal is the best way to stay motivated IMO.

GashPrex said:

Do you have a heavy bag or speedbag at your gym? That's the best HIIT I've ever done. It's effective and intense and it also requires you honing a skill to perform it so it's not as boring as other cardio.

MjFrancis

TheRagnCajun said:
Pullups are a great benchmark. Many untrained people can't even do one. I can't say I've ever stalled on pullups, My rep count has slowly and consistently increased over the last year. People can still cheat on them though - seen some pretty crazy worm movements.
I'd probably agree that pull-ups are useful for gauging upper-body strength and conditioning relative to a person's overall size. Being lean is imperative to successful progression. Not necessarily small.

Enco said:
I really think we should make a new guide in a google doc or something with all the crap that you see thrown around by other 'bodybuilders'. I think this would greatly help all the newcomers.
I think the current OP is a handy gauge for who actually reads the OP. If anything I'd get a laugh out of seeing "put down the muscle mags and read the OP" at the beginning. It has anything a beginner needs to know, really, they just have to be reminded to actually read the whole OP. Fat loss information could be expanded, but since BMR is explained and reducing calories relative to that is mentioned, not much more needs to be said. This will work for every novice.

JCX said:
What do you guys do for motivation.
Bruce Lee avatar.

X-Frame

JCX said:
Watch videos on the EliteFTS YouTube channel. Especially the one they have as their channel default video now (assuming it's the one I am talking about).

MjFrancis

Poindexter said:
Exactly. This is a very vain hobby and everyone has different goals. Even worse are people who criticize goals ("What do you need big traps for?" or "Curls are stupid. You just want teh big gunz"). I don't care what you are working out for. I have my goals and unless I'm doing something that's counterproductive to my goals, STFU.
That's why I like the OP asking noobs to post up a specific snapshot of themselves, including personal goals. It's helpful in guiding them the proper direction. And who's to criticize if someone walks in here and wants to follow Vince Gironda's footsteps? He was a 100% bodybuilder and nothing else. He built himself without full squats, without bench pressing and he didn't do direct ab exercises. No typos there at all, the guy had some eccentricities, some of which have become common practices and others that have not. But we always have to consider one's goals - if you want nothing more than a sweeping v-taper, I don't see why you wouldn't want to emulate this guy's practices:

Vince Gironda picture (so you can still view this thread at work)

I tried using those Lance Armstrong stationary bikes today for cardio. I was confused because I chose different intensity levels, yet peddling didn't become harder. I tried looking for a button to raise the resistance but there was nothing.

Are those LA bikes suppose to be like that? I guess I can always choose the other stationary bikes since they have resistance levels to make the biking harder, but I wanted to try out the LA bike.

DirtRiver

GashPrex said:

I would check Doug McGuff's book "Body by Science". You probably already have heard of it though if you're following a HIIT program but never bad enough to reccomend again.

MjFrancis said:
That's why I like the OP asking noobs to post up a specific snapshot of themselves, including personal goals. It's helpful in guiding them the proper direction. And who's to criticize if someone walks in here and wants to follow Vince Gironda's footsteps? He was a 100% bodybuilder and nothing else. He built himself without full squats, without bench pressing and he didn't do direct ab exercises. No typos there at all, the guy had some eccentricities, some of which have become common practices and others that have not. But we always have to consider one's goals - if you want nothing more than a sweeping v-taper, I don't see why you wouldn't want to emulate this guy's practices:

Vince Gironda picture (so you can still view this thread at work)
Dear lord! That's a hell of an upper body. That's my ideal physique if wheels were a bit bigger.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
DirtRiver said:
I would check Doug McGuff's book "Body by Science". You probably already have heard of it though if you're following a HIIT program but never bad enough to reccomend again.

I should have been more clear - though I am sure thats a great book - I am looking for HIIT on my non-strength workout days, ie fat burning.

Seems like a stationary bike routine is a good one

Enco

MjFrancis said:
I think the current OP is a handy gauge for who actually reads the OP. If anything I'd get a laugh out of seeing "put down the muscle mags and read the OP" at the beginning. It has anything a beginner needs to know, really, they just have to be reminded to actually read the whole OP. Fat loss information could be expanded, but since BMR is explained and reducing calories relative to that is mentioned, not much more needs to be said. This will work for every novice.
Sure, if you say so.

parrotbeak said:
This looks painful: Gironda Dips
Would never trust myself to do that. No point when you plenty other good exercises that are 100x safer.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What exercises did he do to achieve legs and chest like that?
Thigh Squat
You start this movement as you would any squat, with bar high on chest and
resting on the front deltoids. Heels are placed about 12 inches wide and on a 2 x
4 board. From this position, start upward but keep your hips forward and under
shoulders. As you rise, the hips move forward until they are well out in front of
the body. The completed squat leaves you with your knees still bent and the hips
out in front of shoulders and shoulders over heels for balance. This is an
unlocked squat and is sometimes referred to as the Burlesque Bump. No Stress
is placed on the Gluteus Maximus so this exercise will never spread or build
muscle in the hips.
I don't really get it but there's pictures here:
http://www.palmieribodybuilding.com/The Vince Gironda Workout Bulletin and Me.pdf

reilo said:
That looks like a tendon tear or wrist fracture waiting to happen.
Ya, I'm reading this stuff as a curiosity and for insight into the history of lifting but I don't think I'll be adding anything from it, at least from what I've read so far. Very interesting though, and he was obviously ahead of his time in some areas like not trying to fat reduce by doing ab work.

I should have been more clear - though I am sure thats a great book - I am looking for HIIT on my non-strength workout days, ie fat burning.
Seems like a stationary bike routine is a good one
Ya, bike or elliptical. Hard to get an HIIT on a treadmill cuz you can't accelerate into full sprint as quickly.

MjFrancis

Poindexter said:
Dear lord! That's a hell of an upper body. That's my ideal physique if wheels were a bit bigger.
Yeah, it's pretty darn respectable, that's for sure. Way ahead of his time when you consider what other bodybuilders were doing back in the day. He shaped every muscle to the exact fashion he wanted it to be. I think bigger wheels are in order as well, but that's my preference and it was never Vince's goal for his aesthetic.

If you look back to the old Greek statues, they were all about powerful midsections. Giant backs, quads, abdominals and obliques. Their obliques were gigantic, closer to an MMA fighter than a bodybuilder, though much bigger than the former. The arms were relatively smaller than the bodybuilders of the 70's and onwards. I'm thinking something like the Farnese Hercules (NSFW: nude statue).

Now it all about the abs, at least with your average gymgoer. Who knows what the popular or preferred aesthetic will be in the future. Giant horseshoe triceps? If so them I'm game.

Enco said:
Sure, if you say so.
I mean, feel free to come up with something, just adding my two cents.

---

But yeah, Vince Gironda is an interesting bodybuilder's case study. I've tried Gioranda Dips, and the angle reduces my rep range significantly. They're difficult, no way getting past that! Calling Gironda a pioneer of the modern field isn't an exaggeration. For him it wasn't GOMAD, but 3DEAD. Up to three dozen eggs a day.

Creamwolf

Neo Member
MjFrancis said:
If you look back to the old Greek statues, they were all about powerful midsections. Giant backs, quads, abdominals and obliques. Their obliques were gigantic, closer to an MMA fighter than a bodybuilder, though much bigger than the former. The arms were relatively smaller than the bodybuilders of the 70's and onwards. I'm thinking something like the Farnese Hercules (NSFW: nude statue).

That's what I'm going for. I doubt my midsection will ever resemble that but i will try nevertheless. However, my genetics and body type will allow me to get the huge back and pecs.

Speaking of knees, I'm probably going to give up on freewights and legs. I'm only doing leg presses and machine squats, yet my left knee always bothers me after workouts. My form isn't the problem, I just think I might've done something to it years ago (can't figure out what) . It's not a constant 24/7 problem, which I think is a good.

Oh well. I was never going to get big legs anyway. At least my entire body is proportionate and I'm not one of those strange looking guys with a huge upper body and little legs. I'll just stick to running and bicycling to give my legs a workout.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
TheRagnCajun said:
That guy was just a blackhole. You keep feeding advice, and it just vanishes. No results, no progress. And there's always an excuse. Why he can't eat properly, why he can't lift properly...
Is he one of those annoying people that posts explaining the routine he's doing and that it's not working, asks for advice on how to actually see results, and then completely ignores the advice given, arguing with people why the routine that was originally not providing him the results was the correct thing to do?

Excuse the run-on sentence.

reilo said:
Is he one of those annoying people that posts explaining the routine he's doing and that it's not working, asks for advice on how to actually see results, and then completely ignores the advice given, arguing with people why the routine that was originally not providing him the results was the correct thing to do?

Excuse the run-on sentence.

He was a depressed guy. It wasn't just in the gym, but his social life, too.

Natural

JCX said:

I've been feeling a lack of motivation for a month or two now since finishing Uni, but what gets me through it is looking at where I was before and where I want to be!

TheRagnCajun said:
So I'm doing squats the other day, 3 sets of 5 @ 225lbs, and I overhear this girl bragging to her WO buddy about squatting 220lbs for a 1RM. She insisted it was a full ATG squat too.

I'm a little late to this, but I can give one more reason why I think this is bullshit. I've never seen 220 lbs. No one ever uses 220 lbs in a normal gym setting (I'm not talking about power lifting competitions, where they may increase by small increments).

135, 185, 205, 225 etc...
220 lbs would be a 45, 35, 5, 2.5 (I don't think my gym has 2.5 lb weights) on each end.
Who does this?
(unless the 220 was a typo)

MjFrancis

I use weights like "220" and such, but that's because my program requires it. Someone asked why I loaded the bar five pounds shy of another set of 45's, and I replied "I'm not scheduled for that weight this week."

But yeah, the girl's story is still likely BS.

Mr.City said:
Combine, an old poster here in the second fitness thread and creator of the original girl age thread, has finally worn out his welcome at SS.com.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=22109&page=61
I'm surprised you kept up with him for so long. He's so weak you want to help him, but he drags you back into his hole with him. Not weak physically, I'm sure there are plenty people worse off than he is, but weak mentally. Your post #607 hits the nail on the head. I applaud you for trying to help him, but he has more excuses than anyone I've ever come across. And I've never met the guy!

She's probably full of shit but I use 2.5 plates to go up in squats. I'm sure I could jump by 10 but I've been going up 5 lbs at a time just in case.

Mr.City said:
Combine, an old poster here in the second fitness thread and creator of the original girl age thread, has finally worn out his welcome at SS.com.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=22109&page=61

haha... in the end even you got fed up with his bullshit.

You were a good dude, to try and help him for as long as you did.

ipukespiders said:
I'm a little late to this, but I can give one more reason why I think this is bullshit. I've never seen 220 lbs. No one ever uses 220 lbs in a normal gym setting (I'm not talking about power lifting competitions, where they may increase by small increments).

135, 185, 205, 225 etc...
220 lbs would be a 45, 35, 5, 2.5 (I don't think my gym has 2.5 lb weights) on each end.
Who does this?
(unless the 220 was a typo)

I use 2.5 all the time, frankly, I think I'm the only one in my gym that does. But yeah, I think the majority of people would just slap on 2x45 per side and be done with it.

I just checked and SL5x5 has you going 5 lbs more per workout for everything except deadlifts. I'm going 5 lbs more on dls also so I wasn't sure if I had modified the squat increases also.

Would be hard to increase bench and press in any program without 2.5 plates, I'd think.

parrotbeak said:
I just checked and SL5x5 has you going 5 lbs more per workout for everything except deadlifts. I'm going 5 lbs more on dls also so I wasn't sure if I had modified the squat increases also.

Would be hard to increase bench and press in any program without 2.5 plates, I'd think.
This.

Sometimes I lose 6 or 7 reps by adding 2.5's. Fuck using any larger increments.

MjFrancis

parrotbeak said:
I've considered buying 1.25 pound washers from the hardware store and bringing them with me on my press day. Never done it yet, but I think about it every time I finish my brutal struggle with the last rep or two of my 95% set.

Ya, doesn't SS suggest finding things to make 1 lb plates? Like those things batters stick on their bats to weigh their swings?

JCX said:

Simple just keep this in mind

images

Last week I hit some new PR

235 bench
335 squat (full)
380 dead lift I tried 400 but could only get it about 3 inches off the ground

Highering a trainer really helped

JCX said:

I have this set goal of what I want to look like physically and for the most part, that pushes me. It is always in the back of my mind and it dictates how I eat and how hard I want to work out. In addition to that, I truly do feel like it is a part of my lifestyle and it is something that I just do now. I want to achieve my goals in both looks and physical strength. And this may sound dumb, but if I see a movie or a random picture of my type of ideal body, it just motivates me. With me being a huge wrestling fan, I get motivated on a daily basis lol.

I'm not gonna lie, I would rather look good first rather than focus on strength. However in order to achieve the look I want, I need to get stronger first. I know that compound exercises will get me there and if I do the isolation exercises to help assist me, I got no problem with that.

Sarye

Thank God my gym has 1.25 weights because I would not be able to increase my bench or press without them. I do seem to be the only one using them but I find them essential for increasing the weight every workout.

Parch

For motivation I just keep some fitness mags and books around. Just doing some fitness reading or reviewing routines gets me in the right mindset and I want to get to it. If I'm not feeling 100% it usually just takes a decent warmup and find I want to continue. Some of my best workouts have started this way. After a terrific workout it feels good thinking that it started with no motivation.

deadbeef

JCX said:
I keep all my frustrations anger and disappointment in the back of mind and then just destroy it in the gym every few days.

Cheap therapy! ;)

X-Frame

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Speaking of knees, I'm probably going to give up on freewights and legs. I'm only doing leg presses and machine squats, yet my left knee always bothers me after workouts. My form isn't the problem, I just think I might've done something to it years ago (can't figure out what) . It's not a constant 24/7 problem, which I think is a good.

Oh well. I was never going to get big legs anyway. At least my entire body is proportionate and I'm not one of those strange looking guys with a huge upper body and little legs. I'll just stick to running and bicycling to give my legs a workout.

In all honesty, that right there might be an issue. Leg Presses and Machine Squats (depends on which machine you're talking about though) may lock you into a ROM that your body doesn't agree with.

What kind of knee pain is it? Where do you feel it? On the outside of the knee, under the knee cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom