• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst Mario level?

I always hated Wet Dry World in Super Mario 64. It just felt so empty and lifeless compared to the rest of the game. And the music wasn't good.

Fancolors

As much as I love Sunshine, I gotta recognize it has some of the worst level design in the franchise.

Whoever designed pachinko probably has a special corner in hell.

daTRUballin

Rainbow Ride from Mario 64.

BY. FAR.

Seriously, fuck that level. Especially collecting the 100 coins is a huge pain in the ass there. Ugh

Pizza

Anything that requires motion control is worse than the janky ass Sunshine levels, imo

I've always hated Wet-Dry World in 64. I've always found it sort of dumb and pretty frustrating. Even as a kid I hated it.

Worst of the swimming levels, a worse version of the throw guys from Sunshine (fucking car things) and chuckyas all over the top to obliterate your progress. 64 is my favorite Mario game, but I really don't like Wet-Dry World

antibolo

Banned
I've never bothered to finish Super Mario 64 because the water levels bore me so much.

Any level in The Lost Levels that Mario cannot beat.

Mario can beat any level just fine lol.

The game sometimes makes it hard to gain enough velocity to jump at maximum height but it's never physically impossible for Mario to continue.

That pachinko stage was way tougher and more unfair than Corona Mountain. I remember getting a bit lucky in order to finish pachinko. But, Corona was reasonable if you were just patient and careful.

Poppy

huh i like wet dry world

its got secrets and a neat unique mechanic with the water level raising, and even a whole underground area

and chuckyas and those platform wind up shits are funny

if we're talking sm64 my least fav level is probably tiny huge island tbh, which i realize you can use literally every single point i just made to defend it in the same exact way. BUT I JUST DONT LIKE IT OKAY

El Odio

Banned
Since Sunshine's already taken care of in this thread I'm gonna throw out this level and it's variants from 3D Land.
Special_2-3.png

They aren't like dreadfully atrocious or anything but they revolve around those slow moving railplatforms that just make it drag on forever, and they brought it back TWICE for the special worlds.

Roo

Those shitty levels in Mario galaxy that are 100% motion controlled, Almost destroyed my enjoyment the game, and while I'm on the topic those levels that require you to use that spring power up.
Spring Mushroom is by far the most obnoxious item I've had the disgrace to play with. I completely hated it in SMG2's Chompworks Galaxy.

dickroach

Since Sunshine's already taken care of in this thread I'm gonna throw out this level and it's variants from 3D Land.
Special_2-3.png

They are like dreadfully atrocious or anything but they revolve around those slow moving railplatforms that just make it drag on forever, and they brought it back TWICE for the special worlds.

there was one level in Mario 3D World's special worlds with one of these platforms and one of those cannon-head power ups that you needed to use to hit switches to turn on/off the track. getting the green stars in that level was so bullshitty.

Gaardus

another one, while not technically a level, in order to access one of the levels in sunshine you had to take Yoshi on multiple slow as hell boat rides to an island, thing is, despite there being a lot of waiting you can't just stop paying attention and wait for the next boat as yoshi will run out of juice and die, then you have to start all over, and if you accidentally misjudge a jump and hit the water, you're also starting over because yoshi can't touch water for some reason. not only that but the level itself is horrible and one of the more frustrating levels in the game and if you get a game over guess what? time for another long boat ride!
I once made it through those awful boat rides to the level proper, but I didn't collect all eight red coins on the first ride through. "No big deal; I'll just hop in the green pipe at the end, which will obviously take me back to the start of the level, right?"

"Right?"

The ones in Galaxy 1 and 2 where you had to control something via motion controls. I remember rather disliking the one where you ride on the back of sting ray. Luckily both games only used such gimmicks once or twice.

I can't believe people are saying any version of Champions Road. Those are always the most fun culmination of all your hard work.

Z..

I can't believe people are saying any version of Champions Road. Those are always the most fun culmination of all your hard work.

Except Galaxy 2. Worst final level ever. Same level as the one before it on a no damage run but requires a ton of grinding to open. Yay? What a huge disappointment that was...

jholmes

I clicked on this thread not sure what I would say and then I saw the Sunshine posts and it all came flooding (FLUDDing?) back.

Gotta go with basically any Sunshine level with Yoshi in it. How could they make Yoshi so un-fun?!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Champions Road from 3D World

Even with powerups galore it took me well over 100 tries to complete this level.

the-third-star-is-located-in-the-centre-.png

Hard doesn't equal bad. Champion's Road is a great level. In fact I'd hesitate to put anything from 3D World even close to the same tier as Sunshine's lesser levels or Galaxy's annoying minigame ones.

Easily the worst of the 2D Mario games IMO.

There's one in 3D World's bonus stages where you're asked to wall jump and jump on top of bullet bills to scale a giant space wall.

It is by far the worst Mario level I have ever played. Fortunately, I am not the only one who thinks so that I know!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah I hate Tubular. You had to keep getting P's and dodging baseballs. I remember it took me the longest to beat growing up. Now a days it isn't a big deal, but the level is more of a challenge than it is fun.

When I was a kid I'd even try taking a blue Yoshi. Nope. Have to use the P's.

Im glad it wasn't just me. It was way too hard when the rest of the game was fairly challenging

The rest of the game was a joke, difficulty wise. Champion's Road was by far the highlight of the game.

Worst level for me is this shit. All stupid ass gimmick levels like this suck. The spin dig powerup suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

maxresdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I didn't expect to open this thread and find so many answers from Super Mario Sunshine. What happened with that game? 64, the Galaxys, and the SM3D games are seemingly all held in pretty high regard. Sunshine is also the only 30 fps one, right? (EDIT: Apparently 64 was 30 fps, too, which makes sense.) Was development of Sunshine troubled in some way? New team? Time and budget constraints?

El Odio

Banned
The rest of the game was a joke, difficulty wise. Champion's Road was by far the highlight of the game.

Worst level for me is this shit. All stupid ass gimmick levels like this suck. The spin dig powerup suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

maxresdefault.jpg
I'd say the most offensive part about the spin drill is that it doesn't lead to any interesting mechanics or segments. Just getting to the other side of a planetoid in the form of a powerup instead of walking or jumping it and unlike similar "weak" power ups like Rock Mario it's not really exciting/fun to use. The Digaleg fight's pretty alright though.

Draconian

Even with powerups galore it took me well over 100 tries to complete this level.

Huh? This is every concept in the game put into one level. Incredibly well executed and beating it feels like a true accomplishment.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I didn't expect to open this thread and find so many answers from Super Mario Sunshine. What happened with that game? 64, the Galaxys, and the SM3D games are seemingly all held in pretty high regard. Sunshine is also the only 30 fps one, right? Was development of Sunshine troubled in some way? New team? Time and budget constraints?

Only in the sense that 64 often didn't meet its target of 30 FPS. Galaxy was the first 60 FPS 3D Mario.

Like a lot of big GC games, it was probably rushed.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having trouble thinking of a Mario Sunshine mission outside of the FLUDD-less stages that isn't terrible. That game is a collection of absolutely infuriating gimmicks and level design.

Also agree with whoever mentioned the World 7 levels in SMB3. I don't know if I've ever actually played it from start to finish; usually end up just warping out partway through it.

Sunshine and the pachinko level, nothing else comes close, the controls themselves simply don't work like they seem they should.

hqdefault.jpg

This. I hated this level with a passion. I believe it was the very last Shine I needed to 100% the game. I feel like I played this level 50 times before I finally got it. I never disliked a level in any Mario game more than this one.

That is exactly the best kind of Mario level there is.

I'll always hate the sandbird level no matter what

That lily-pad one also sucks because of how you get to it

Top Bottom