• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG's Xbox "exclusivity" is just as confusing as it was for ROTTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatron

And we should complain each time they do this.

When it's a big company like square or capcom that can easily release on all platforms simultaneously, then sure. When it's a small company, they have to pick a console maker to come to first, and do the other later. That's what happened here.

Theorry

When it's a big company like square or capcom that can easily release on all platforms simultaneously, then sure. When it's a small company, they have to pick a console maker to come to first, and do the other later. That's what happened here.

And Xbox has the game preview option they need. So yeah pretty logical choice.

Gator86

I agree. People make such a big deal out of this and I think it fools absolutely no one in the community.

If you want to play the game on console in 2017, you buy an Xbox. If you don't care or want to wait, just wait.

We get it, Microsoft and Sony suck when they do this. Repeat thread x 699.

For me, the bigger problem is I can't plan purchases as well. I would vastly prefer the game on PS4 for a dozen different reasons. If the delay is 3 months, I'm totally fine waiting. If it's a year, I'll slum it with the Xbone version. Problem is I can't tell which option I should go with when there's so much vague language around the releases.

Most of the time I'll wind up just ignoring the game altogether or renting it out of irritation and not wanting to reward the company for their shit marketing with a purchase.

LeleSocho

Banned
Oh so it will be released on PS4 eventually, nice. That's where i'll get it if i won't upgrade my computer in the near future...

Fuck Microsoft with all this shady nomenclature btw, people should really blast at them for this crap.

mugen812

I can see Bluehole making compromises for XBO version like adding powerful aim assist, reducing vertical recoil climb on weapons etc.

"powerful" would not be a strong enough term to describe the necessary aim assist that will be needed on consoles. The shooting mechanics in this game is insanely precise.

jfoul

This seems like a test run for MS and Bluehole. We could see PUBG going from timed, to full console exclusive later on if it does very well on Xbox. If PUBG continues on to super megahit on all released platforms, I wouldn't be surprised if MS puts an offer on the table to buy the Studio/IP. The relationship has already been established.

Imo, I think this game needs to be on all platforms like Minecraft though.

Megatron

Oh so it will be released on PS4 eventually, nice. That's where i'll get it if i won't upgrade my computer in the near future...

Fuck Microsoft with all this shady nomenclature btw, people should really blast at them for this crap.
Sony is even worse at this actually. Try to figure out what systems crash n sane collection is coming to. Good luck.

Guymelef

This seems like a test run for MS and Bluehole. We could see PUBG going from timed, to full console exclusive later on if it does very well on Xbox. If PUBG continues on to super megahit on all released platforms, I wouldn't be surprised if MS puts an offer on the table to buy the Studio/IP. The relationship has already been established.

Infinite war chest.

So I'll wait 12 months for it to come to PS4 only to not be willing to pay full price for at that point a year+ old game you can get for at that time likely 80% off on xbox/PC during a sale.

Guess they don't want my money, that's fine though, too many games as is.

Tovarisc

"powerful" would not be a strong enough term to describe the necessary aim assist that will be needed on consoles. The shooting mechanics in this game is insanely precise.

I know. I have 220+ hours in BG, I'm almost done with tutorial basically.

If they don't mess with weapon recoil, bullet travel times and bullet drop too much then I can see console meta being very CQB heavy where on PC people prefer medium range engagements with 4x's.

Floody

Why would they wait for it and the studio to get bigger before deciding on buying the studio?
It's probably just them paying to extend it from a early access "exclusive" to a year "exclusive".

mjp2417

Banned
It amazes me that the console version of PUBG is getting as much attention from you guys as it is because I see another Team Fortress 2 scenario.

I don't think Console only gamers know what to expect with this game. They will buy it and the flip out that it wasn't at all what they expected.

TF2 was going up against Halo 3 and COD4 which were absolute behemoths on console. There isn't a current hegemon on console that is directly competitive with Battlegrounds. The new COD and Battlefront really aren't competing alternatives in the same way.

Floody

PUBG exclusivity is being made more complicated than it needs to be by people. Just give then their time.

That's what people said with Crash and Sony and Activision just went radio silence.
These companies don't want it to be clear, they won't come out and say it's just timed exclusive unless forced.

Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't that complicated from what I remember.

Microsoft paid up for a year of exclusivity. Seems simple.

I thought they weren't a fan of exclusive deals.

Just lip service of course; another talking points for fanboys to regurgitate.

Rise of the Tom Braider?

*chuckles*

Im so glad this joke is still alive

This reads like fan fiction.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't that complicated from what I remember.

Microsoft paid up for a year of exclusivity. Seems simple.
The way they announced the game and then confused matters further for the next few weeks, was anything but simple.

Kinyou

At the end of the day it's really no different than Sony and/or Acti not saying a damn thing about Crash maybe coming to Xbox.
Yeah, I mean publishers going "Yes, this is a temporary exclusive for 12 months" isn't exactly common, is it? (Excluding dlc)

It's not great but also obvious why they'd do it

Yeah, thought Spence didn't like paying for games not to come to other consoles.

What happened to that whole thing?
Wasn't that about console exclusive dlc?

foxbeldin

Yup it's Tomb raider all over again. Journos are gonna ask every time they get the chance, and MS are gonna spin dance around the term exclusive until it's confirmed on other consoles.

Feels like déjà vu.

I mean, battlegrounds is great, but there is definitely room for a competitor to make a game that meets many of the same goals on ps4 and maybe even do it better. Since battlegrounds has name recognition in general but not on consoles specifically, it's not impossible to imagine another publisher working on a battlegrounds style game for ps4.

Gowans

I said this in the other thread but after MS jumped it on it seems like lthey are supporting with development, controls, console expertise and advice and development to accelerate bringing it to the platform.

Makes sense they are moving to more of a publisher releationship/partner to get it out the door.

Came across from the post E3 interviews that they were happy to include ms as much as possible for support.

But yeah they might as well say timed, like with tomb raider.
And sony/acti with Crash?

Not really like RotTR in the case that TR had a history of being on every PS console before xbox bought timed exclusivity. That's why people were mad, not because they were obtuse about it being timed.
PUBG has no history so buy away.

kyser73

Preseason console sales aren't important.

Hey look, we've outsold Sony for 4 months during preseason, how awesome are we?!?

Yeah, we don't like exclusive deals.

Here's an amazing exclusive, sort of, maybe.

Akronis

Not really like RotTR in the case that TR had a history of being on every PS console before xbox bought timed exclusivity. That's why people were mad, not because they were obtuse about it being timed.
PUBG has no history so buy away.

Pretty sure exclusivity is bad for everyone and that's why people are upset.

It's a smaller dev team that may not have the resources to work on Xbone and PS4 versions along with continuing to develop the PC version.

Makes sense that they'd go with the Xbone at this stage because of the game preview program, which grants Microsoft some sort of exclusivity by default, and doesn't put pressure on them to release something that is in a finished state before a deadline.

I'd be shocked if this doesn't come to PS4 when it's finally done.

For me, the bigger problem is I can't plan purchases as well. I would vastly prefer the game on PS4 for a dozen different reasons. If the delay is 3 months, I'm totally fine waiting. If it's a year, I'll slum it with the Xbone version. Problem is I can't tell which option I should go with when there's so much vague language around the releases.

Most of the time I'll wind up just ignoring the game altogether or renting it out of irritation and not wanting to reward the company for their shit marketing with a purchase.

Cmon, you understand English don't you? It's exclusive.. Now plan accordingly. Either Xbox, PC or just wait. You have to take the good with the bad.

Just like Crash, they are not obligated to announce a playstation version. They set the platforms now go get it.

Yeah, RotTR all over again, and once again I have to wait some time to play it on a console. However, what else is MS supposed to do?

They lack 1st party studios so, basically, they have to rely on publishing games to get exclusive games during holiday season. And this time around - with XOX around the corner and no Halo or Gears or any other system seller on the Horizon - this is of utmost importance.

oti

Banned
It amazes me that the console version of PUBG is getting as much attention from you guys as it is because I see another Team Fortress 2 scenario.

I don't think Console only gamers know what to expect with this game. They will buy it and the flip out that it wasn't at all what they expected.

I'm really curious about that too, tbh. Everyone expects this to be a breakout hit on console just like it was on PC. I'm not so sure about that.

joe_zazen

Microsoft and Sony do the same shit at different time periods.

Still salty over Supergirl PS4 exclusive. Not only did Sony fuck other Lego dimensions platforms, but part of their own player base as it could only be obtained with the 'new and improved' version of the full priced base game.

Like who the hell decides to get exclusive content that a bunch of their own customers can't access?

Aselith

https://twitter.com/poopieQueen/status/899360281255710722

DHstM-DXUAAI2lK.jpg:large

I swear, it's Rise of the Tomb Raider all over again.

Which probably means it's coming to PS4 at some point after the Xbox release.

But this shit needs to stop.

What do you want? They probably have a contract that says they can't mention bringing it to other consoles.

If they refuse to say it's not then it is.

joe_zazen

What do you want? They probably have a contract that says they can't mention bringing it to other consoles.

Maybe a 'no comment' to a direct question instead of sounding like a politician who answers questions with responses that bear little relation to the actual question. That shit is annoying af.

That's what people said with Crash and Sony and Activision just went radio silence.
These companies don't want it to be clear, they won't come out and say it's just timed exclusive unless forced.

PUBG is clearly timed. You only need to look at the PS4 sales figures to understand that.

Asd202

People hating on Phil need to open their eyes. The confusing PR about PUBG excluivity is only too similar to Sony and Acti acting coy about Crash exclusivity a few months back. It's almost like this is a direct response from Phil to other pubs to stop doing this shit because he's been there and he knows the confusion helps nobody, especially paying customers. Microsoft and Bluehole are being ironically obtuse about the PUBG deal, so to speak, and none of this would've happened if other pubs were more clear in their messaging.

If anything, this make Phil more charming in my eyes, if he's masterminded this whole thing.

Good one.

Machina

Banned
It's MS being deceptive for the sake of a business decision. It's dirty tactics frankly but hey, it must work for them if they've done it twice

PUBG seems to be really powerful. They should have bought permanent rights to it as it seems to keep growing. If the game continues being this phenomenon, it's a good fit for xbox and a good exclusive franchise to secure, now that Halo and Gears have become old and gotten out of favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom