• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

somebody in the NL east/west or AL anywhere needs to sign Ben Sheets already. unless he's busted and it's one of the better kept secrets in baseball (like apparently Smoltz's neonazi beliefs were until this rumored deal). I don't want it to be any tougher than having to beat down the Cubs to win the NL Central this year.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
I doubt even eznark can be pessimistic about a 1 year, $6M (+$1.5M incentives) deal for Hoffman.

With a club option.

Only a "how did we get that, something must be wrong?" type of pessimism!

(His skyrocketing HR/FB ratio has me worried)

RBH

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300285650890

SELLING THE HEART AND SOUL OF ONE USED ATLANTA BRAVES FAN. For 25 years I have proudly stood by my team in the good seasons and the bad. I've been around for worst to first and I was there when Sid slid. I grew up listening to Skip, Pete, Don & Joe call the games and felt like I had lost a family member when Skip left us. I have always been proud to call the Braves MY TEAM no matter what. When the Braves allowed John Smoltz to leave for Boston they allowed the heart of the franchise to walk right out of the front door and should be ashamed of themselves. Money should not have been an object in these negotiations...John Smoltx IS the Braves. The ownership and management of the Atlanta Braves should be ashamed of themselves, not only have the let down themselves, their team, and the city of Atlanta but they have shattered the core of the Braves family. Upon selling my support for the Braves I will no longer attend games, watch them on TV, listen on the radio, or follow them online. I am unable to support a team who so haphazardly gave up the FACE of the franchise. This is a sad day for Atlanta and for Braves fans everywhere. Congratulations Boston you just recieved THE CLASS ACT of major league baseball and he will literally pitch for you until his arm falls off. 100% of the winning bid for this auction will go directly to the John Smoltz foundation. The focus of The John Smoltz Foundation is to serve and fund organizations that change the lives of children and adults in a profound and positive way. The John Smoltz Foundation is dedicated to making a difference in the lives of people who in turn will pave the way for others to do the same.

Oh dear....

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
2po7241.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
RBH said:
lol wow

edit: so apparently we offered him 2 million....we offered MIKE FUCKING HAMPTON 3 MILLION! WTF! Frank has lost his mind.

Fatalah

1.) So I'm thinking about the A's lineup, and I totally forgot they picked up Halliday. So now they've got some power again, that's how the A's should be!

Halliday, Giambi, Cust. Very nice.

2.) Onto the Red Sox with their pickup of the Mr. Mysterious Baldelli. Seemed like every team wanted their shot at him. I hate to say it, but that lineup will score a ton of runs this year.

3.) I'm wondering what the Mets are up to. The amount of time it's taking to either Lowe and Ollie is way annoying. There's a lot the team has left to do! Baldelli would have been a nice pickup for them. Now I think they should go for Abreu. Seriously.

4.) Yankees-- OK, so if Pettitte doesn't come back, they either sign a free agent pitcher, or trade for one. I say go for Ollie, hang onto Swish and Nady!

NewLib

Banned
Fatalah said:
4.) Yankees-- OK, so if Pettitte doesn't come back, they either sign a free agent pitcher, or trade for one. I say go for Ollie, hang onto Swish and Nady!

Oh have fun with that. He had a 6+ ERA when he wasnt playing the Phillies or Marlins.

Fatalah said:
I've got a gut feeling! Plus he pitches innings, they say he's got a rubber arm!
He has never pitched 200 innings in a season. :lol

Even more hilarious: Ben Sheets has thrown more innings than him over the past 4 seasons.

RE: The Red Sox getting Smoltz and Baldelli, that's great stuff if they stay healthy.
Of course I'm hoping both of them explode and are finished/useless, but whatever.

Smoltz will likely be a much better started than Laptops is, so the rotation is now this:

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lester
Wakefield
Smoltz

If that pitches to form, that's fucking excellent.
Should Smoltz not have the length for starting, you know he could go into the pen, which shakes out like this:

Assholeface CL
Smoltz SU
Necksnap 7th
Masterson

And whatever other crap they throw out there. Pretty good pen.

Baldelli beats the shit out of Tacoby, so lineup is:

Pedroia
Baldelli
Ortiz
Youk
Bay
Lowell
Drew
SS
C

Also pretty good.
AL East is going to be ridiculous this year.

RE: The As, AL Worst is trash, and Billy Beane's actually put together a pretty good team for cheap. Cust/Giambi/Holliday is going to strike out a ton...but whenever it doesn't strike out, it is either going to walk (likely walk in runs) or homer. That should also be amazing to watch.

RE: Pettitte, fuck you man. :(
Please sign for $12M so I won't hate myself.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Turns out there's no club option, which sours the deal a bit. Oh well.

Just as long as you keep your expectations in line. He gives up too many fly balls to be a reliable closer in Milwaukee.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Smoltz isn't even going to be ready to pitch until June 1. The Sox are looking for innings eaters. SO ARE WE.

Fatalah

CajoleJuice said:
He has never pitched 200 innings in a season. :lol

Even more hilarious: Ben Sheets has thrown more innings than him over the past 4 seasons.
No way dude. Scott Boras told me otherwise.

OK, in all seriousness, I turned to SNY last year and they were talking about how he loves to pitch, and he loves to go deep into games, and he's got a "rubber arm". That's where it comes from.

captmcblack said:

Hey, I want Andy to sign too. Having him around to pitch 200 innings is really important this season.

Fatalah said:
No way dude. Scott Boras told me otherwise.

OK, in all seriousness, I turned to SNY last year and they were talking about how he loves to pitch, and he loves to go deep into games, and he's got a "rubber arm". That's where it comes from.
I figured you were joking. I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to rag on him.

Sanjuro

captmcblack said:
RE: The Red Sox getting Smoltz and Baldelli, that's great stuff if they stay healthy.
Of course I'm hoping both of them explode and are finished/useless, but whatever.

Smoltz will likely be a much better started than Laptops is, so the rotation is now this:

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lester
Wakefield
Smoltz

If that pitches to form, that's fucking excellent.
Should Smoltz not have the length for starting, you know he could go into the pen, which shakes out like this:

Assholeface CL
Smoltz SU
Necksnap 7th
Masterson

And whatever other crap they throw out there. Pretty good pen.

Baldelli beats the shit out of Tacoby, so lineup is:

Pedroia
Baldelli
Ortiz
Youk
Bay
Lowell
Drew
SS
C

Also pretty good.
AL East is going to be ridiculous this year.

RE: The As, AL Worst is trash, and Billy Beane's actually put together a pretty good team for cheap. Cust/Giambi/Holliday is going to strike out a ton...but whenever it doesn't strike out, it is either going to walk (likely walk in runs) or homer. That should also be amazing to watch.

I still doubt Baldelli playing everyday or over Tacoby more so Drew. With their powers combined THEY ARE COMPLETELY HEALTHY PLAYER.......planet.

Penny I think will be a great factor this season as well. Wakefield I've been hearing some talks he may hang it up, which I would break into tears if true =(.

Penny I think is finished just like Colon, but whatever. He won't have to do much of anything in Boston but eat, beat off and occasionally pitch when someone shits the bed. Wakefield mustn't retire; A-Rod needs either him or Hamburger Curt to do his odd-year MVP season right!

Baldelli will likely CF/RF 3 days, bench 2 day, DH 1 day. We'll see if he stays healthy, but if he does it's a huge get.

RE: innings eaters, who is out there that does that? There's Pettitte and Lowe. Pettitte is the best choice IMHO, but he's looking less and less like Big Game Andy these days :(
Lowe needs to stay in the NL. Yankees have to figure a way to get 180 innings out of a combination of Hughes, Aceves, Coke, Kennedy and Johnson...and that basically makes things just like last year.

ATTN: CASHMAN
SIGN PETTITTE SO THE ROTATION HAS A 15-GAME WINNER AS ITS NUMBER 4/5 GUY WHAT THE FUCK

eznark

Banned
fangraphs sums up my feelings on the Hoff:
As with most soft-tossers, Hoffman is one of the most extreme flyball pitchers in baseball. Nearly half of his balls in play go in the air, which is the main reason that he’s been able to run a career .280 BABIP - flyballs get turned into outs a lot more often than groundballs. Combined with his excellent command, this has allowed Hoffman to keep people off the bases and rack up the saves.

However, there’s a big difference between being an extreme flyball pitcher in Petco Park and in Miller Park, which will be his new home. While Petco suppressed home runs by 14%, Miller Park inflates them by 6%. San Diego is heaven for extreme flyball guys like Hoffman, and leaving the friendly confines of that huge outfield could present some problems for him.

His CHONE projection for 2009 has him at a 4.17 ERA in a neutral park. In Miller Park, that’s probably more like 4.30 to 4.40. Given that, it’s tough see Hoffman being better than a +1 win pitcher this year. I’m betting that this isn’t going to work out as well as Milwaukee would have hoped, and they’ll be right back in the market for a closer again next winter.

Joe

clemenx said:
Why the Yankees want to sign another pitcher if Pettite leaves?? Give the fucking Yankids a legit chance geez.
innings, innings, innings. they need someone who's going to be almost guaranteed to give 160+ ip.

i'm expecting a nady or swisher for aaron harang type of trade.

dmann

Bring back John Schuerholz as GM, and fire this assclown, Frank Wren quick!

There is no hope for the Braves this season...

clemenx

Banned
Jazzy Network said:
Harang is an Ace.

Yea but for the Reds LULZ!!

I wouldn't call Harang an ace but i do think he's underrated outside Cincy. But seeing his poor 2008 his trade value must be low right know.

firex

He played like all of 2008 injured, and when he finally got healthy he returned to dealing. just consider that he had a Cy worthy season in 2007 and will probably be competitive for it this year, as long as the Reds win enough to make him noteworthy.

and there's really no way the Reds would trade him when he's pretty much the cornerstone of what they're building the team for, and possibly their franchise player right now (basically depends upon if any of the good rookies from last year get better, or hit a sophomore slump).

Grecco

dmann said:

JS has been pretty moronic for the past 5 years or so. I dont want him back either.

Slash and Burn get rid of the entire FO bring in new younger voices. We need it.

Core407

Banned
dmann said:

If they sign Lowe, they'll have a nice 1-2 combo going on. Hopefully Jurrjens is legit and puts up even better numbers this year and maybe a league change for Vazquez will revitalize his career. Also, throw all your faith into Tommy Hanson like I'm doing and hopefully he doesn't become a bust and ruin my world.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Grecco said:
JS has been pretty moronic for the past 5 years or so. I dont want him back either.

Slash and Burn get rid of the entire FO bring in new younger voices. We need it.
Yeah John wasn't as good the last 5 seasons. The biggest fault was that he always thought we could resign these one year rentals. They have really come back to bite us. Although the 1 year guys usually did really well for us.

RBH

I have a really bad feeling that Wren is going to get desperate now and overpay for Lowe and give him 4 or 5 years. :|

*vomits*

ruqo0n.gif

My pitching order right now it terms of signing a pitcher:

Perez
Sheets
Lowe

I'd rather pay the cheaper, harder-throwing Perez who is asking for far less money than the old Lowe, who is NOT WORTH 13 mill for 4 years.

The Frankman said:

Perez
Sheets
Lowe

I'd rather pay the cheaper, harder-throwing Perez who is asking for far less money than the old Lowe, who is NOT WORTH 13 mill for 4 years.

Lowe is probably worth $13M over 2/3 years with a 4th year vesting option, though.
And Perez is lefty Javy Vazquez.

Core407

Banned
The Frankman said:

Perez
Sheets
Lowe

Perez? The guy is a nutjob.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Wren, I think, wasn't so bad last offseason. The Renteria/Jurrjens-Hernandez trade was brilliant. The Kotsay/Devine swap worked out decent enough for both teams. But, whatever. He's choking harder than the Mets right now.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:

Perez
Sheets
Lowe

and here I thought Sanjuro was the comic relief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom