• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night in the Woods |OT| Come Home

u_neek

I caved in and created a US PSN account to get this early. Looking forward to some Mae time when I finish work tonight!

Fuck, even setting prefer maximum performance isn't getting the game to run well again. Card just isn't acting like I'm playing a game. Weird.

Edit: restarting fixed it so no biggie

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, seriously, if you have a SO you can do what my wife and I are doing. ...

I love it.

That sounds sweet - but I just had a breakup.

I'll opt for the voice acting :p

Game length is somewhere in the region of
8-10
hours. Could be longer if you're taking your time.

edit: there's no VO - just saying that I would hypothetically use if it were available.

luulubuu

Believe it or not I am actually buying this game for business reasons. My wife is in love with this art style so she wants me to play it so that I can familiarize myself with it and use it as inspiration for labels for out products. I love her so much. I actually wonder if I can write that off as a business expense?
Is a bit awful that your plan is using the art and the "Feel" of an artist and a game to sell your products which has nothing to do with the game or the team behind 😣

You should contact the artist and work with them rather than rip off their essence...

As others stated in precious posts, as artists, we barely make a profit and we always find the "Find a real job" here and there and it's a bit disheartening that when one of us success, the only thing we can expect is to be plagiarized sooner or later. Sorry.

Speaking of the game, I'm having a blast, the characters really feel well built and a lot of the problems and situations of the game are very related to me and my own experiences and rather to make it edgy, they treat it like a normal thing and try to move on and work on them. Praise them for that.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Is a bit awful that your plan is using the art and the "Feel" of an artist and a game to sell your products which has nothing to do with the game or the team behind 😣

You should contact the artist and work with them rather than rip off their essence...

Artists frequently copy and take inspiration from others around them. Shocking, I know.

This game is very much on my radar but I'll need to wait on full reviews I think. If the game goes in the Oxenfree direction with mystery + supernatural, I'm in like flynn. If it's an aimless early twenties catgirl slice of life I'll probably wait for a sale.

iiicon

3 hours in.

The elevator pitch= Persona slice of life(sans rpg)+oxenfree+Byran Lee O'Malley's Seconds.
Huh, so I wasn't the only one reminded of Seconds. Scott Pilgrim is the more natural comparison given where Mae and Scott are in their respective lives, but I thought Seconds was a much stronger work dealing with similar themes of unrealized potential and 20-something malaise.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, so I wasn't the only one reminded of Seconds. Scott Pilgrim is the more natural comparison given where Mae and Scott are in their respective lives, but I thought Seconds was a much stronger work dealing with similar themes of unrealized potential and 20-something malaise.

Ah wow - I've read both but didn't connect the dots - totally see the influence there!

iiicon

Well, I don't know if influence is the right word. NITW is so grounded in the real world that a simpler explanation would be that these characters are representations of lived experiences, and that it exists on a continuum of slacker comedies alongside those works. But there's much more going on here that just slacker comedy, too.

Mr. F

Banned
Played for a bit over an hour last night - really digging it. I'm actually pretty happy to hear that it's a bit of a slow burn, it feels like exactly the kind of game where I would want to hang out with these characters and get to know them a bit more (ok maybe just Gregg so far, but still). Coming from a similar situation as some of the characters, raised in a small town and laid off, a lot of it really strikes close to home in a way I wasn't expecting.

On the other hand, it isn't without its minor problems. Hitching in the bigger open spaces is a bit obnoxious at times, and load screens are a tad more frequent than I'd like. Also as others had mentioned, Mae sometimes has trouble navigating depth in the 2D space (particularly in her house).

I'm excited to play more, all in all (and hoping someone covers the band's songs, because I'm genuinely enjoying those quite a bit).

TirMcGrey

Having only been at it for an hour (on the 3rd day), I'm really enjoying the characters for who they are and was actually surprised Mae is a female (I knew nothing about this game minus the fact I had a large amount of friends playing it) since the artstyle is so minimalistic and charming.

Can't wait to try more of it

Dinjoralo

Having only been at it for an hour (on the 3rd day), I'm really enjoying the characters for who they are and was actually surprised Mae is a female (I knew nothing about this game minus the fact I had a large amount of friends playing it) since the artstyle is so minimalistic and charming.

Can't wait to try more of it
I kinda had a bit of that, though for me it was realizing Gregg was a guy. It didn't help that the bit in the kickstarter page for them lumped him and Angus together, so there weren't any gender pronouns. :p

BluWacky

Just out of interest to check if I've genuinely missed anything, can those who made different choices early on confirm whether they've seen the following scenes?

I chose to spend my first evening with Bea, and my second with Gregg, and saw the following:

Bea -
we went to the mall, shoplifted (and returned) some items, then squirted people with water from the fountain
Gregg -
smashed up an abandoned car, electrocuted myself stealing its battery, then used it to power up an audio-animatronic robot as a present to Angus - Gregg also told me they were moving out of Possum Springs

I'm just curious to know if the events change based on which day you do them, or whether you just see "first Gregg event" the first time you pick to hang out with him.

Tz7dd9Y.png

84.gif

I'm so glad this game is finally coming, I can't believe it!

Haha I hear ya. First played it at PSX 2015 and loved what I saw. Happy it's finally here and looking forward to sinking some time in it during the rainy weekend.

Started this up last night. Art is 10x crisper than I thought it would be in the final project. Looks as if everything is vectors, very very sharp.

Fixed my computer and went to bed, definitely a slow burn so far, interested so see where it goes.

Also surprised by the gameplay variety, platforming, point and click puzzles, rhythm mini games, etc.

But the load times between screens on the PS4 is... rough. It's not slow, but jarring to have to wait about 8 seconds between screens.

Just out of interest to check if I've genuinely missed anything, can those who made different choices early on confirm whether they've seen the following scenes?

I chose to spend my first evening with Bea, and my second with Gregg, and saw the following:

Bea -
we went to the mall, shoplifted (and returned) some items, then squirted people with water from the fountain
Gregg -
smashed up an abandoned car, electrocuted myself stealing its battery, then used it to power up an audio-animatronic robot as a present to Angus - Gregg also told me they were moving out of Possum Springs

I'm just curious to know if the events change based on which day you do them, or whether you just see "first Gregg event" the first time you pick to hang out with him.
I did the exact same two things. I'm curious too if someone chose Gregg the first day and bea the second.

My understanding based on implication is that
every day there is something new seeing how when you talk to them that day they say something different on what they'll be doing

Man just some of the backstory you get for Mae in the game from either in detail or just the choice descriptions is all sorts of fucked up and explains why she's so emotionally stunted. I mean
The prom story where she vomited and bled all over her date while nearly suffocating him and the implication she went postal during a softball game and hospitalized another girl after beating her with a bat among other things.

The game really captures the spirit of being genuinely funny while also having a sense of melancholy to it.

Like in a bad way?
Catastrophicly, to the point where it taints the entire thing.
It's an absurd jump the shark moment and a really crude metaphor for depression/mental illness/something.....I think.

I could have just missed something that made it coherent or not just utterly laughable but until then it's easily the worst last act of a game I've played.

I thought the game was incredibly touching, raw, atmospheric, and a surprisingly subdued depiction of mental illness until that point.

It's an absurd jump the shark moment and a really crude metaphor for depression/mental illness/something.....I think.

I could have just missed something that made it coherent or not just utterly laughable but until then it's easily the worst last act of a game I've played.

I thought the game was incredibly touching, raw, atmospheric, and a surprisingly subdued depiction of mental illness until that point.
Hmmm. I'm usually not too sensitive to games jumping the shark unless they kick it to full throttle, so I'll definitely be wary to see what happens and if I agree.

The hooded people made me stop playing that game, just so fast and annoying to deal with in bulk which is how they gate every boss door.

Bosses themselves seemed pretty fun and well animated for an extra though so I'll probably finish it eventually.

Opa-Pa

Just finished playing through Lost Constellation and Longest Night in anticipation to this, and man that was interesting! LC especially was pretty fun. I'm enjoying the writing and humor in this a lot, it kind of reminds me of my group of friends.

Can't wait to start the main game!

luulubuu

They really need to fix the guitar hero minigame

I hate it with all my heart and you cant even practise anywhere so it's always bad performance

BluWacky

I hate it with all my heart and you cant even practise anywhere so it's always bad performance

I wonder why the sync is so dodgy on it.

I did a good job on the first two, but the third performance... Did not go well.

I'm in chapter 3 now. Slightly annoyed that there must have been an update today or yesterday that's added trophies - the Steam notification broke my suspension of belief rather annoyingly in the middle of a scene, and of course there will be lots that I've now "missed" from playing the game on release.

Ah well.

luulubuu

I wonder why the sync is so dodgy on it.

I did a good job on the first two, but the third performance... Did not go well.

I'm in chapter 3 now. Slightly annoyed that there must have been an update today or yesterday that's added trophies - the Steam notification broke my suspension of belief rather annoyingly in the middle of a scene, and of course there will be lots that I've now "missed" from playing the game on release.

Ah well.

Yeah me too, also me too, got a trophy and I was like "OOOOOH i dont want to see those" then I think about how many trophies I didnt get and I was like "OOOOOOH" angrier this time

What's wrong with it? Worked perfectly for me.

I usually get wrong notes even if I pressed correctly, and throwing a musical minigame with no tutorial or way to improve ... Kinda a mess if you ask me

Kyuur

I usually get wrong notes even if I pressed correctly, and throwing a musical minigame with no tutorial or way to improve ... Kinda a mess if you ask me

Weird -- you're pressing as you they hit the bottom?

Anyways, the fact that Mae is out of practice is part of the story. You're not meant to play perfectly! My main complaint would be that I can't read the lyrics while I'm focusing on hitting the notes -- luckily playing with my SO so she was singing them out.

Fancolors

Got one hour into it. Loving it so far.

I dunno, I found it pretty okay. But, one thing that made me more comfortable with it was changing it's control scheme to SDJK, like DJMAX.

1upsuper

I was gonna pick this up but now I'm having second thoughts after hearing about chapter 4. Anyone else get that far yet?

DNAbro

Got to Part 2 and so far I'm really loving it. As a early 20 something college going person, yeah this is pretty relatable so far. Writing has been great so far but I've been kind of getting whiplash from "this is hilarious" to "oh god it's like looking at a part me".

killroy87

I've never heard of this, but it sounds suuuuper cool.

On a scale of "Classic Lucasarts" to "Telltale", how much of a legit adventure game is this?

Got up to Chapter 2 last night and was loving every minute of it. A really strong narrative that hits that Twentysomething 'What I am doing with my life?' vibe really well. Add in just a hodge podge of other gaming mechanics - the already discussed (and delightful) rhythm game mechanics, the platforming, the point and click adventure puzzles, the random Hyper Light Drifter-esque mini game.... None of those are super deep, but it creates a feeling of playfulness in the world itself.

Also... EEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSS

She even has a guitar on the left side of the room, which I thought would unlock after the first session for practice. I don't think it really matters how you do, though. I seem to recall something to that effect in a dev update.

Fancolors

I just walked by a cat sleeping on a windowsill and now I'm having existential questions about Mae existence o____O

It`s easier to just think that any anthropomorphic characters as people and the rest as animals. Lost Constellation even features a talking "cat" as a character.

Yeah me too, also me too, got a trophy and I was like "OOOOOH i dont want to see those" then I think about how many trophies I didnt get and I was like "OOOOOOH" angrier this time

I think it works perfectly well with the events on screen.
mae hasn't played the bass and complains she doesn't know the song, so you are playing this song brand new with no practice just as she is

Not to mention there really aren't points to playing music, it's just a nice little side activity

Alastor3

I hate bad ending.... god damnit... and I backed this like day 1 of the kickstarter.... I hope there are different ending and this is just one... im about to start the game soon.

Well, I got to chapter four, all the way to the ending.

What?

is it bad?

Top Bottom