• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night in the Woods |OT| Come Home

Ultimadrago

Yeah, oops. Have I nixed my chance at this trophy?

Well, possibly, yes. To get the Palecat trophy, you need to have seen the True Ending.

The friendly NPC
gives you clues that you should write down or screenshot for Stage 2, 4, 6 and 8. Follow their instructions in the Final Stage off the room to the left to get an item that you need to patch up the guardian ahead. Then beat the final boss for the True Ending. If you die to the final boss, you need to re-enter the same code and repeat.

In my experience, after the 4th time, they don't need to stay alive (since their job is done). But there's no gain to killing them (except a nice death animation). If they die earlier, they will not return. Enemies can kill them too (I think?), so don't lead enemies to their vicinity.

KodaRuss

I like this game so far but I kinda hate Mae... maybe that is the point, only got to the second chapter or whatever now (been playing it inbetween Nier: Automata).

Is there a reason to keep playing her computer game (I made it through about 4 levels), is it worth it to keep playing or should I just abandon that part of the game.

Ultimadrago

I like this game so far but I kinda hate Mae... maybe that is the point, only got to the second chapter or whatever now (been playing it inbetween Nier: Automata).

Is there a reason to keep playing her computer game (I made it through about 4 levels), is it worth it to keep playing or should I just abandon that part of the game.

The computer game really isn't well executed and it can be completely skipped without negatively affecting enjoyment of Night in the Woods or missing key dialogue. You'd miss out on some sketch drawings and an achievement or two. That said, if you're enjoying it, it is rather short to complete so only do it for your self-satisfaction.

KodaRuss

There's no point in playing demon tower other than playing demon tower.

The computer game really isn't well executed and it can be completely skipped without negatively affecting enjoyment of Night in the Woods or missing key dialogue. You'd miss out on some sketch drawings and an achievement or two. That said, if you're enjoying it, it is rather short to complete so only do it for your self-satisfaction.

Thanks, it isnt terrible but I would rather be playing the rest of the game. Wasnt sure if I was going to be missing some relationship/dialogue with Angus.

Ultimadrago

Thanks, it isnt terrible but I would rather be playing the rest of the game. Wasnt sure if I was going to be missing some relationship/dialogue with Angus.

Sure! However, I find that there is an easily overlooked aspect in town that does allow for some good dialogue with Angus. I won't spoil the scene itself, but to "unlock it" (minor town interaction spoilers)
check for, and activate by jumping next to, 3 windmills around town before the potential hang out with him
. It's something I wish I knew earlier and was glad to have done later on; it adds just a bit more to their relationship.

Kangi

Sure! However, I find that there is an easily overlooked aspect in town that does allow for some good dialogue with Angus. I won't spoil the scene itself, but to "unlock it" (minor town interaction spoilers)
check for, and activate by jumping next to, 3 windmills around town before the potential hang out with him
. It's something I wish I knew earlier and was glad to have done later on; it adds just a bit more to their relationship.

I believe it's four? Maybe you don't need all four to activate the scene, though. Believe I saw a playthrough with said scene but with some of the dialogue missing.

That scene made me so happy, by the way.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
yeah
she sees everyone as cute animal people made up of 'shapes and colours and lines' which is why gregg is a weird fox guy with gigantic eyes, he's energetic but a bit nasty, he'll bite you and he doesn't like to be trapped or tied up. that's why theres normal animals in the world. Anyone Mae barely knows is a bird, and lots of family are the same species as her, and 'teacher' types or pudgy people are gentle giants bears. Makes sense if you think about her violence incident as her bopping a funny animal person with a bat and having the animal person make a silly noise and giggle or have dizzy eyes.

Her anchor is Gregg, who can keep up with her craziness, and nonchalance towards danger/violence/pain, and stop her when she's actually about to hurt herself or someone. When she goes off to college she gets regular old depressed and spends all her time wallowing in her room because she has trouble connecting to people from the derealization and the time needed to form a strong / secure bond.

Thanks - makes a lot of sense - is this your interpretation or the official explanation? Because it's not really spelled out within the confines of the story.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Thanks - makes a lot of sense - is this your interpretation or the official explanation? Because it's not really spelled out within the confines of the story.

It's just an interpretation, because most of that category of stuff is intentionally ambiguous.

...Unless Scott said something about it on his curiouscat that I missed.

Wok

Believe it or not I am actually buying this game for business reasons. My wife is in love with this art style so she wants me to play it so that I can familiarize myself with it and use it as inspiration for labels for our products. I love her so much. I actually wonder if I can write that off as a business expense?

Maybe you can contact the artist and commission him to illustrate your labels ? That kind of thing can be written for sure as a business expense.

Sorry but as an illustrator myself, its a bit disheartening to read that your first idea is copying the art style of someone instead of just asking the guy to create art for you. (Especially if it's for your business.)

I would absolutely love to do that... but we are a small business and we don't have the money to do that atm along with our housing situation atm... But I also wasn't saying that I was going to copy the art style either bro. I said, "use it for inspiration." Don't worry. As an artist myself I hate that crap. Every artist is inspired by others art in some way. I would never "copy" anyone's art but I would absolutely take notes and let their art influence mine. I can name tons and tons of indie games that where influenced by the art in other indie games or just even bigger titles. And that's just games. I don't think that's wrong at all. I could only hope to create art that would influence others to emulate mine and let it influence theirs for a season.

I saw the following tweet by Scott Benson and it reminded me of the discussion above!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to playing this and was awesome to play.

I feel strange with the ending. But it was weird with Firewatch as well, like you guys mentioned it. (SPOILERS for Firewatch's ending)
The thing is, I've been realizing that one does not always need to feel happy or satisfied at endings (or art in general). In the case of Firewatch, I felt a certain un-happiness that I (as in Henry) was going to have to confront the harsh reality that I would have to do the right thing and go and see my sick wife. It hits you. Just like that. You use something to get away from your problems, you kind of exaggerate it when it doesn't distracts you enough from said problems, and when it ends up being nothing, you are suddenly left with a vacuum inside and you gotta face those problems because it's the right thing to do.

With NITW,
I would have to say that the strange feeling comes from the fact that we really are put in Mae's shoes in the aspect that we really ended up with a bunch of questions that we might never know the answers to or something, maybe it has got to do with the fact that we don't know how Mae is going to 'survive' in the long run, and she doesn't either. And we don't have to, really. It's kinda beautiful in that aspect, because, let's face it, it'd be too neat if she did (and quite out of the blue), but she's taking little steps to survive (as she said she would), playing with the guys, heading to talk about why she left school to her parents, and figure things out from there. It kinda makes sense to me, but I can see why people don't like it. I mean, I would love if it were a 100% happy and hopeful for Mae and the gang, but that's not real life, and would take a bit from the ending, I think.

And fuck, I accidentally missed the cemetery thing with Bea for having gone to the woods first. I kicked myself for that shit. Damn it Angus!

Anyway, I think I've rambled a lot. I wanna replay it soon, to see Gregg's side of the hangouts. (But nothing is going to beat Bea's party)

And anyway, about Bruce...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he killed himself. All about returning home, to his (maybe dead?) family. The way Pastor K reacted to the news given by Mae just gives reaffirms the vibe.

Also:

I NEED FAN ART. GIMME AWESOME FAN ART, GAF.

Crayolan

Finally got around to finishing this (it launched while I was in the middle of playing something else and then Breath of the Wild came around, so I was distracted for quite a while).

It's not really my type of game (too much story, too little gameplay), but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I always knew it was going to be fairly story heavy but I guess I thought there'd also be a bit more platforming based on the kickstarter. Oh well.

Anyway, the dialogue, characters, and music were all really strong. I liked Bea the best, so I spent most of my time hanging out with her. The story was kinda weird, and I don't think I fully understood it, so I ended up liking the parts where it was just Mae and Bea/Gregg hanging out better than when story-related things actually happened. Also really liked looking at the stars with Mr. Chazokov.

Ending was a bit abrupt. I mean, I knew I was approaching the end, but
they could have at least let me play 1 more song with the band as the credits rolled.
It also didn't really answer any questions. My assumption about Mae is
she has some sort of mental illness, and that caused her to become depressed at college,
but I'm not sure what it is in particular or how it was tied to the whole
cult thing

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to finishing this (it launched while I was in the middle of playing something else and then Breath of the Wild came around, so I was distracted for quite a while).

It's not really my type of game (too much story, too little gameplay), but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I always knew it was going to be fairly story heavy but I guess I thought there'd also be a bit more platforming based on the kickstarter. Oh well.

Anyway, the dialogue, characters, and music were all really strong. I liked Bea the best, so I spent most of my time hanging out with her. The story was kinda weird, and I don't think I fully understood it, so I ended up liking the parts where it was just Mae and Bea/Gregg hanging out better than when story-related things actually happened. Also really liked looking at the stars with Mr. Chazokov.

Ending was a bit abrupt. I mean, I knew I was approaching the end, but
they could have at least let me play 1 more song with the band as the credits rolled.
It also didn't really answer any questions. My assumption about Mae is
she has some sort of mental illness, and that caused her to become depressed at college,
but I'm not sure what it is in particular or how it was tied to the whole
cult thing

Mae returned home because it was familiar to her, because to her the past was better to her than the present. It's a reflection of the cult, who were also hoping to return to the past in the most horrific way possible.

It's essentially a way of life to telling her: "hey, you can't return time, but you gotta figure life out day by day", or something along those lines, which she clearly is trying to do when saying "let's not try to figure this out today, lets play music and go eat some pizza"

I'm only echoing what others have pointed out, but Demon Tower is total trash*. It's bad enough not to have a brief i-frame after taking a hit, but to get stuck on enemies, projectiles, traps? And then there are the level layouts that are literally impossible to finish, e.g. exit door blocked by enemies. I just spent an hour trying to finish Stage VIII, Blood Moat. The lone time I was able to kill the boss
he'd painted a big blood stripe across the exit
, making it impossible to open the door.

*I wrote this upon rage-quitting, so let me say something nice about Demon Tower. The sprites are well-made.

UPDATE: I'm a glutton for punishment.

C9fQlVyUMAE1g1M.jpg:large

I love this game so far, the way it integrates persona like social aspects, the mystery, the writing, and man as a 20 something struggling through community college i can relate to mae on a whole other level.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I like how he frames the review saying whether or not the game is "for me" rather than saying "is the game good".

I can absolutely see why anyone would say Mae is insufferable, but having had similar experiences, I can try to at least understand her and empathize. I can definitely agree with the 'anxiety' (in a way of speaking) the game caused me when it got me to do the same things everyday, exactly how Mae would feel. Pretty good I must say!

Thanks for sharing!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've been eyeing this one since pre-release, but what gave me the final push was Errant Signal/Campster making a spoiler video that I can't watch, haha. I'll leave Bunnyhop/George's for later too.

I barely started it (just went to
Angus with computer trouble
), but the humor in this reminds me a lot of Julia Wertz's comics.

ghostjoke

Banned
2017 continues to delivery quality and variety.

Bunnyhop's video is a really good summary of it. I got a few mins in and decided I wanted to know no more before playing it myself. Having finished it off now, I had a very similar experience.

It might not be gameplay heavy, but it uses the medium perfectly to reinforce what Mae is going through, same basic schedule day with seemingly no real progress. Interesting version of the persona social links and characters that I wanted to spent time getting to know helped alleviate it from a complete slog without sacrificing the game's themes. It's an achievement to have me engaged for 7/8 hours despite so much of the game being quite unpleasant to endure.
Those check IM > talk with mom > feed rats > wander around aimlessly > do something stupid (often illegal) > talk with dad > check IM again > sleep loops are ingrained in me now but so are many tender moments between characters or just having stolen enough pretzels to cause a plague of rats in the future. Ending is strange (I'd need to think about it more), but taking it as more symbolic than anything else is where I'm currently at. Either way, a sprinkling of cosmic horror doesn't harm the game for me even if it is in the most literal sense.

And oh jeez, do I want to apologise for every time I ever acted like Mae. There were some scenes that I had to put the controller down and take a breath because I had flashes of my Mae-moments.

My girlfriend is coming into town and I've been trying to decide between this, Edith Finch, and Firewatch for a game for us to play together. So far she's enjoyed playing Pokemon and Animal Crossing and enjoyed watching me play TLG, so I figured the art style and animal factor would give Night in the Woods the edge lol. Would you recommend this game for that purpose?

Corpekata

Banned
My girlfriend is coming into town and I've been trying to decide between this, Edith Finch, and Firewatch for a game for us to play together. So far she's enjoyed playing Pokemon and Animal Crossing and enjoyed watching me play TLG, so I figured the art style and animal factor would give Night in the Woods the edge lol. Would you recommend this game for that purpose?

If it matters, Night in the Woods is considerably longer than both of those games. I'd also say the other games having voiced dialogue likely makes them better candidates for people sharing a screen.

Don't get me wrong, loved the game, but not sure if it's a "watch someone play" sort of game really.

If it matters, Night in the Woods is considerably longer than both of those games. I'd also say the other games having voiced dialogue likely makes them better candidates for people sharing a screen.

Don't get me wrong, loved the game, but not sure if it's a "watch someone play" sort of game really.

This is exactly the insight I was looking for. I appreciate it. I'll grab the game for myself at a later date then.

Do you have any preference between the other two?

So, I don't know much about this game and I wanted to ask my questions directly here than risk looking info up online and spoiling things for myself. I'm wrapping up Persona 5 and looking for something to play next; I'm debating between Night in the Woods and Thimbleweed Park. I've heard nothing but great things about Night in the Woods, but I know very little about it. Is it also an adventure game or is it more narrative adventure like Gone Home (as referenced in the title) or Oxenfree? Also, is it voice acted at all or just text? I played Read Only Memories before it had voice acting, but I'd kind of like to play something with voice acting if it is a 10 hour narrative (part of the reason why I've yet to play VA-11 HALL-A). Lastly, do you think this is something I can play via Steam Link? I don't mean just how it plays via a controller or with a Steam controller (though I care about this as well), but how's the UI and stuff; is it visible well enough from a couch on a tv? Sorry if a lot of this has been asked before.

Kangi

So, I don't know much about this game and I wanted to ask my questions directly here than risk looking info up online and spoiling things for myself. I'm wrapping up Persona 5 and looking for something to play next; I'm debating between Night in the Woods and Thimbleweed Park. I've heard nothing but great things about Night in the Woods, but I know very little about it. Is it also an adventure game or is it more narrative adventure like Gone Home (as referenced in the title) or Oxenfree? Also, is it voice acted at all or just text? I played Read Only Memories before it had voice acting, but I'd kind of like to play something with voice acting if it is a 10 hour narrative (part of the reason why I've yet to play VA-11 HALL-A). Lastly, do you think this is something I can play via Steam Link? I don't mean just how it plays via a controller or with a Steam controller (though I care about this as well), but how's the UI and stuff; is it visible well enough from a couch on a tv? Sorry if a lot of this has been asked before.

It's very much a narrative adventure game, but there's more gameplay to it than Gone Home, and has platformer sequences and the like.

No voice acting, just text.

There aren't significant parts of the UI that would be difficult to see. If you can make out the dialogue, you're golden.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

More like Oxenfree, but no voice acting!

Just started this tonight. Only got to play about an hour and I'm getting ready to go to a party. I love the look of the game. It is a lot of fun just running around and jumping! Kind of wish there was voice acting and more music so far, but it's just getting started. I'm already really interested in the backstory of the character. Promising start.

Just started this tonight. Only got to play about an hour and I'm getting ready to go to a party. I love the look of the game. It is a lot of fun just running around and jumping! Kind of wish there was voice acting and more music so far, but it's just getting started. I'm already really interested in the backstory of the character. Promising start.

I was very iffy on the music on my first playthrough, but by the time I went on second run, there were a bunch of tracks that really stand out later into the game. Also, her backstory isn't so much as changable based on dialogue in the game, but more that you only get to learn snippets of a bunch of Mae's past through how you play her in the present. It's a really good game.

I feel like I've made terrible mistakes. I wanted Mae to get better, so I turned down Gregg to hang out with Bea, and now I think I'm just ruining Bea's life! :( I just wanted to do some good...

I'm not finished, but when I'm done, I might do another play through (or just look them up online if the choices don't really matter) on what happens when hanging out with other friends.

Oh, and Mae's "most embarrassing story" in the graveyard was a riot.

Finished it. Overall, enjoyed my time in the world. I loved the look and most of the writing, but other than one music piece, the music didn't hook me as much as I had hoped. Reading through the thread now with spoilers, I can tell I missed some stuff, like a character I didn't even know I could hang out with, and some other stuff I didn't realize until later in the game that I could do.

The ending felt hurried and left me disappointed. Things wrap too quickly and conveniently. I mean, it's hard to stick a landing in most games, but I think the execution just wasn't there, and since I don't know about the development of the game, I'd speculate but it feels like time and/or money just ran out and it needed to get finished quickly.

Basically, everything from
Mae getting shot at in the woods to the end
didn't work for me. Way too much happens, too quickly, and to conveniently without characters asking or reacting in ways I think they should have after spending so much time with them.

thenexus6

Night in the Woods - PC - 8 Hours

I really wanted to get this game when it first game out, but I had plenty of other stuff to play, and because of the setting it looked like a great game to play in Autumn so I was going to wait however it was my birthday a few weeks ago and my Girlfriend gifted it to me on Steam!

I just got done playing it and I really enjoyed it. Nice simple graphics, great soundtrack (which I will be buying from Bandcamp) and just a very pleasant game to play. There wasn't much in terms of gameplay, it was mostly walking, talking and a few moments of interaction like band practice but this didn't bother me.

I really enjoyed the characters and totally bought into them and their relationships. The game does a fantastic job with this aspect. It nailed the setting and I could totally imagine these characters living in a town like this, and their daily lives.

The game got surprisingly deep at times which I was not expecting, and I liked it alot. It felt real and added alot to the game. I felt like I empathised with the characters which made the whole experience better.

The story, while I enjoyed does end pretty abruptly in my opinion. I thought to myself okay I can feel the game winding down now I must have maybe 1 - 1.5 hours left.. nope it straight up ends which is a little disappointing.

Looking at some of the achievements I missed it seems the game has two endings so I will probably give it a replay in the Autumn.

I recommend this game!

Eojal.gif

Plum

Man, I don't know about this game. (DON'T CLICK SPOILER TAGS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME)

On hand, shit's too real. As a university student who doesn't know what the fuck I'm doing with my future Mae and her struggles definitely spoke to me. The returning-to-a-decaying small town vibe (albeit here in the UK), the down-on-their-luck parents, the feeling of being out of place in University, it was surprising how honest the game was about that kind of stuff.
When Mae talked about staying in her room for days on end during University I was taken back as that was literally something I'd done very recently.
Its one of a few games that have legitimately impacted me when I finished and the credits roll. The amazing writing, great art, interesting gameplay loop and likeable yet flawed (something which other games fail at *cough* Life is Strange *cough) characters would have made this a definite contender for a high spot in top 10 this year.

However, on the other hand, shit's too real. Later events in the story really put a dampener on the whole experience for me and it's hard to ignore them.
Mae's nightmares, disassociative disorder, depression in University, even her violent episode all just being the machinations of some telepathic god thing effectively erases much of what could have been an amazing portrayal of true mental illness. I say shit's too real because the story externalises the internal threats of the protagonist, it removes any other angle but the literal. I'm fine with the cult storyline but linking them, and the god thing, to Mae herself is disappointing. It should have been kept as the ham-fisted allegory for older generations wanting a past that's not coming back.
(Bioshock Infinite ending spoilers)
It reminds me of Infinite, a game that might have otherwise been a very interesting look at racism which devolves into meaningless multi-universe quantum theory tripe. Night in the Woods is nowhere near as bad but it definitely gave me the same feeling.

So, with that said I'm not sure where I stand on the game. If you were to take Act 4 out I, like I said above, would be singing its praises. In the state it is though? I'm not so sure.

BTA

Man, I don't know about this game. (DON'T CLICK SPOILER TAGS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME)

On hand, shit's too real. As a university student who doesn't know what the fuck I'm doing with my future Mae and her struggles definitely spoke to me. The returning-to-a-decaying small town vibe (albeit here in the UK), the down-on-their-luck parents, the feeling of being out of place in University, it was surprising how honest the game was about that kind of stuff.
When Mae talked about staying in her room for days on end during University I was taken back as that was literally something I'd done very recently.
Its one of a few games that have legitimately impacted me when I finished and the credits roll. The amazing writing, great art, interesting gameplay loop and likeable yet flawed (something which other games fail at *cough* Life is Strange *cough) characters would have made this a definite contender for a high spot in top 10 this year.

However, on the other hand, shit's too real. Later events in the story really put a dampener on the whole experience for me and it's hard to ignore them.
Mae's nightmares, disassociative disorder, depression in University, even her violent episode all just being the machinations of some telepathic god thing effectively erases much of what could have been an amazing portrayal of true mental illness. I say shit's too real because the story externalises the internal threats of the protagonist, it removes any other angle but the literal. I'm fine with the cult storyline but linking them, and the god thing, to Mae herself is disappointing. It should have been kept as the ham-fisted allegory for older generations wanting a past that's not coming back.
(Bioshock Infinite ending spoilers)
It reminds me of Infinite, a game that might have otherwise been a very interesting look at racism which devolves into meaningless multi-universe quantum theory tripe. Night in the Woods is nowhere near as bad but it definitely gave me the same feeling.

So, with that said I'm not sure where I stand on the game. If you were to take Act 4 out I, like I said above, would be singing its praises. In the state it is though? I'm not so sure.

I strongly disagree that
Mae is intended to not actually be mentally ill. Rather, having seen some of the devs talk about the game and politics and mental illness and such on Twitter for a good while now, beyond my own thoughts that follow I don't think erasing mental illness, and therefore the implication that dealing with the stuff in the woods would magically cure hers, is something they'd be ok with? Which is not to say it's an invalid reading and therefore a sign that something clearer might have been better, but I would not feel at all comfortable comparing it to Infinite's outright bullshit "two sides" nonsense.

To me, it's either that 1. the force picked her because she was mentally ill, because her already disassociating made her easier to manipulate, or 2. there is no such thing to begin with and it's purely the desperate elders' belief in something that could save them lining up with her own disassociation.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you can reconcile both of them.
She had the misfortune of suffering dissociative episodes while growing up on top of Shub-Niggurath.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Just a passive thought, since this thread was just bumped.

If people think the game's art style is meant to represent Mae's warped vision of the world, how come it stays the same when the player controls her most bonded friend for a moment two-thirds through the game?

Plum

I strongly disagree that
Mae is intended to not actually be mentally ill. Rather, having seen some of the devs talk about the game and politics and mental illness and such on Twitter for a good while now, beyond my own thoughts that follow I don't think erasing mental illness, and therefore the implication that dealing with the stuff in the woods would magically cure hers, is something they'd be ok with? Which is not to say it's an invalid reading and therefore a sign that something clearer might have been better, but I would not feel at all comfortable comparing it to Infinite's outright bullshit "two sides" nonsense.

To me, it's either that 1. the force picked her because she was mentally ill, because her already disassociating made her easier to manipulate, or 2. there is no such thing to begin with and it's purely the desperate elders' belief in something that could save them lining up with her own disassociation.

That's why I said "much of." Adding this external threat to Mae's character, and then making said thread legitimate by way of the nightmares foreshadowing actual plot details, gives the story an avenue of discussion it doesn't need. The nightmares, for example, go from "metaphorical display of Mae's destructive behaviour in both her home town and college" to "ooohh cool foreshadowing about the Elder god in Act 4! Whether Mae has an actual mental illness or not (I do think she does), the addition of literal supernatural elements that are not needed for the allegorical reading of said elements is unnecessary.

The ending, to me, turns a
story about someone suffering from mental illness and unrequited want for the nostalgia of the past finding out that much of collective society is suffering the same thing... but there's also an elder god speaking to people and it might literally be the end of the world and shit. It would be like if One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest ended with a scene where Mrs. Ratchet is revealed to have been wholly/partly possessed by some shadowy demon to torment the patients. Would it erase the amazing and effective portrayal of abuse in the mental health system? No. Would it erase much of said portrayal's impact? I'd say so.

Oh, and the comparison to Infinite was less about the
"both sides" thing but more about how it starts as being mostly about racism and nationalism and then devolves into sci-fi schlock at the end. As I said, Woods is nowhere near as bad, it's just a comparison to help explain how I felt. I hate Bioshock Infinite. I love Night in the Woods... just a little less than I really wanted to.

EDIT: Fuck, clicked the "bold" button instead of the "spoiler" button. Sorry if I accidentally spoiled something to you :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

If people think the game's art style is meant to represent Mae's warped vision of the world, how come it stays the same when the player controls her most bonded friend for a moment two-thirds through the game?

I've seen this theory run around I don't truck with it myself. It would be interesting if it was true but there's not enough evidence to support it.

Plum

Yeah,
the artstyle is just that, an artstyle. I wouldn't say the reading is entirely wrong, it's an interesting reading, but I think it's overcomplicating things a tad too much. Her saying she only sees shapes is just a metaphor for depersonalisation, it's not literal. The people are animals for the same reason the people in Bojack Horseman are animals... because they just are.

BTA

This made me look up the trophies I didn't have and oh gosh that last one sure is needlessly complicated, huh.

I'm gonna replay in the next few months for Gregg (I only ever hung out with Bea) but I guess I should give up on going through getting a Plat in the process given that I'd have to replay multiple times.

Plum

Funny this thread got bumped, I was just thinking about it. After a good month or so to properly judge the game retrospectively I can definitely say that, honestly, I thought it was damn good. The gripes I outlined above are still gripes, but they're not really that important to me; what matters was that the experience itself was simply amazing when I was playing it.

Not spoilers:
I can't listen to 'Die Anywhere Else' without tearing up a little bit.

I want to try this game out as well as gift it to my sister. Is it worth the $20? Or rather I should ask does it the price ever go on sale?

Top Bottom