• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night in the Woods |OT| Come Home

Cowie

I've been trying to do my second playthrough only when a friend is around so she can see the whole game, but it's really hard not diving back in to try to find more of the stuff I missed. I can't believe I missed Eels on my first playthrough. Eels.
tumblr_om2bmrrMHO1qig77ro1_r1_500.jpg

http://neomonki.tumblr.com/post/157803347853/eels-honey-eeeeeeeeeeeelllssss

Regarding this question in particular,
if you manage to unite the two people in town playing instruments in present day, you'll wind up getting more background information about the dream band. It appears that they used to be a 4-piece band that actually lived in Possum Springs waaaay back in the day, very talented but apparently at some point they all went kind of crazy, went out into the woods to build the bandstands that you find them at in Mae's dreams, and eventually all died of exposure.

I find it turns into a pretty relevant point because Mae doesn't learn about the existence of this band until long after she's started having the dreams in which they appear, meaning they're not just something her mind conjured up out of nowhere. It's proof that outside of Mae's own issues, there really -is- something larger going on and lends some credence to the idea that there really is some connection between Mae and whatever's in the mine.

When did you find more background information on
The dream band? I united the two people playing music in town, and they were playing together in the underground trolley area on the last day, but I didn't get any story beyond that. Did I unite them too late?

Doorman

When did you find more background information on
The dream band? I united the two people playing music in town, and they were playing together in the underground trolley area on the last day, but I didn't get any story beyond that. Did I unite them too late?

On the second day that the two people play together on the abandoned stage, they find and post up some additional posters next to the pentagram sticker. It's advertising for the old four-piece band, which the two modern-day players then tell the story of to Mae. If you didn't get that dialog, then maybe the two players either didn't unite soon enough or you didn't happen to examine the posters.
There are definitely some other occasions where I feel like I should have had more dialog flags that just never showed up. It's weird since I think I looked at and talked to everyone I could every day. Do some scenes only occur if you purposefully ignore stuff sometimes?

Jhn

Are there any old EU backers in here?
We're mostly through release day and I haven't gotten a key yet, and I don't know if I'm an anomaly and should do something about it or if Sony just haven't given them any EU keys yet.

RiggyRob

Are there any old EU backers in here?
We're mostly through release day and I haven't gotten a key yet, and I don't know if I'm an anomaly and should do something about it or if Sony just haven't given them any EU keys yet.

I am, but I've had a bit of a weird situation - I told them I needed a UK PS4 key back when they asked in September last year via Kickstarter, couple of days after the release date I checked my junk mail and found emails from Chris at Finji asking which platform I needed and a key for a US PSN version.

Sent a few emails to the Finji team, got nothing back so far yet. I think I'll cut my 'losses' and use the US PSN key if I can.

Edit: Check your junk mail:

Just a note to let you know we are STILL waiting for EU codes to be sent
to us. We've been emailing them and will continue to do so until we get
these keys. We will email you the keys as soon as they finally get them
to us.
Thank you so much and again so sorry for the delay.

hughesta

Banned
Still going through the game slowly but I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to read back through this thread to see the amazing stuff I missed

Been playing for an hour or so. What an amazing game.

After playing it I'm even more excited for Knights and Bikes this year.

Gonna try and finish it up before horizon zero dawn day tomorrow.

Jhn

I am, but I've had a bit of a weird situation - I told them I needed a UK PS4 key back when they asked in September last year via Kickstarter, couple of days after the release date I checked my junk mail and found emails from Chris at Finji asking which platform I needed and a key for a US PSN version.

Sent a few emails to the Finji team, got nothing back so far yet. I think I'll cut my 'losses' and use the US PSN key if I can.

Edit: Check your junk mail:

Thanks, it's nice to see a second person with the same issues. Seems this is niche enough to make it hard to find people with similar problems.

I too got a US key back a week ago for whatever reasons, but I mailed them about it and I'm supposedly getting a EU key once they get them.

It's hard not to be slightly salty about first having to watch the americans play it for a week and then watch the rest of the world have at it, all while your 3+ year old preorder still amounts to nothing.
This is obviously not their fault, it seems like they've really had a traumatic final crunch and they're probably more frustrated than anyone about all of this.

Just makes you wonder what weird higher power always gives Europe the shittiest deal when stuff like this happens.

PS. Sorry Oceania, you too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Are there performance problems/tearing on the PS Pro version?

Contemplating that or the PC version, would prefer PS.

Its almost always four corners? Might be something you're not realizing you can jump up onto or jump down from.

All of those segments were incredibly samey and didn't have any hard jumps so you're not missing any dexterity or agility challenges

Also worth noting that there is a light glowing from one of the corners of the screen to lead you to where the band members are. Few times I got lost doing the dreams, and noticed it gets brighter when you trigger one of the lamp posts. (You might need to trigger a lamp post initially for it to show, I can't recall - but after the first one you should be able to follow that to all the band members pretty easily. Or at least know what direction you need to head in)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mae interactions with bea is honestly one of the most compelling relationships I've seen in a videogame.

Granjinha

Just finished it.

What an spectacular game. I adore it. I loved the ending.

Mae interactions with bea is honestly one of the most compelling relationships I've seen in a videogame.

absolutely. Honestly? With all of her friends. The characters in this game are great and they are so well developed.

omgkitty

So after beating it, I'm guessing getting the complete journal for the trophy is impossible right? I mean, it's kinda shitty they'd put a trophy in the game you can't get, and no way to go back and replay parts to fill it out.

So after beating it, I'm guessing getting the complete journal for the trophy is impossible right? I mean, it's kinda shitty they'd put a trophy in the game you can't get, and no way to go back and replay parts to fill it out.
I feel like it's possible, somehow anyway...I'm still trying to figure out how though lol.

I both love and hate that this has such an obtuse platinum, lol. Wondering if I somehow messed up Demontower. I've been keeping track of the
dot images the NPC displays
, but on level 8 I seem to have gotten a repeat one?

I'm not going to worry about it, though, I'm happy still taking my time on my playthrough and not caring about completion % or anything. I'll probably come back later for a second go around to get all this weird stuff.

Edit: I hadn't seen that the platinum is still at 0.0% on psn! I feel like I have to catch up and finish the game so I can join in with the people figuring it out, been a while since I've caught something like that while it's still ongoing.

This is a minor thing and not at all a big deal, but out of curiosity, is anyone else on PS4 noticing the visuals hitching slightly whenever you hit triangle during one of the rhythm game sections?

Opa-Pa

You know you made something special when Toby Fox of all people tweets like this about your game: https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/837112857682710528

(I definitely agree with him)

This is a minor thing and not at all a big deal, but out of curiosity, is anyone else on PS4 noticing the visuals hitching slightly whenever you hit triangle during one of the rhythm game sections?

I noticed pressing triangle does something that looks like frame pacing during the dream sequences, it's pretty weird.

Geg

I both love and hate that this has such an obtuse platinum, lol. Wondering if I somehow messed up Demontower. I've been keeping track of the
dot images the NPC displays
, but on level 8 I seem to have gotten a repeat one?

I'm not going to worry about it, though, I'm happy still taking my time on my playthrough and not caring about completion % or anything. I'll probably come back later for a second go around to get all this weird stuff.

Edit: I hadn't seen that the platinum is still at 0.0% on psn! I feel like I have to catch up and finish the game so I can join in with the people figuring it out, been a while since I've caught something like that while it's still ongoing.

Yeah there are about 4 or 5 trophies with 0.0% obtained. It seems no one so far has been able to see whatever the last scene with Germ is.

JonnyKong

This game is so great.

Does anybody know roughly how far I am from the end? I've just finished the Jackie party segment with Bea.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
The third music sequence is a little...wtf in terms of difficult jumps. Who's supposed to ace this on their first time?

Opa-Pa

This game is so great.

Does anybody know roughly how far I am from the end? I've just finished the Jackie party segment with Bea.

I think those events are more related to how many times you've hung up with them than whatever part of the game you're in, but for what is worth, I finished the game in three sittings and I played that event in the last.

The third music sequence is a little...wtf in terms of difficult jumps. Who's supposed to ace this on their first time?

Yeah that's the only one that gave me trouble haha. It's crazy.

JonnyKong

Finished it this morning, really damn good game. I loved all the characters, I loved the sense of humour and often laughed out loud at the dialogue. I wasn't expecting it to deal with such heavy issues either. I hope it doesn't go overlooked, but like most of the best indies it probably will :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Finished it this morning, really damn good game. I loved all the characters, I loved the sense of humour and often laughed out loud at the dialogue. I wasn't expecting it to deal with such heavy issues either. I hope it doesn't go overlooked, but like most of the best indies it probably will :(

All anyone can talk about is Nier, Nioh, Horizon and Zelda right now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That chat with mom gets way too real goddamn. When you didn't finish education and parents invested so much into your success to turn into a disappointment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEZ9Ui79DPM

JzZqs.gif

Throughout the game, I felt like Mae's parents gave her too much slack (I had rather relaxed parents, but they were pretty strict about school), but when it all comes to a head I was like "damn, I know this feeling pretty well".

Very well written, and amazing use of awkward silence pauses.

Just got past Halloween, I'm absolutely enthralled with this game, like seriously. My only gripe - and to be fair it's more my fault than the game's - is how unforgiving I'm finding the band practice segments. Whenever you have to riff on the same button I fall apart. Anyone care to tell me how harsh the penalty is if I keep screwing these songs up?

Renekton

Just got past Halloween, I'm absolutely enthralled with this game, like seriously. My only gripe - and to be fair it's more my fault than the game's - is how unforgiving I'm finding the band practice segments. Whenever you have to riff on the same button I fall apart. Anyone care to tell me how harsh the penalty is if I keep screwing these songs up?
Just funny drawings in your journal.

Corpekata

Banned
Just finished, thought it was great. Was a great wind down game, played it in 1 day bursts usually.

Only gripe I have is that I'd say there's a few too many dream sequences, and they got a little tiresome.

Not surprised Toby Fox liked it, it certainly reminded me of Undertale in some ways.

tsundoku

apparently you're supposed to put your controller down and use two hands and also go through the entire game each time you'd like to try it once

Kangi

Bought and played through this while waiting for a Switch to enter the freaking tri-state area.

Gregg rulz ok

"Want a complimentary slushie?"

"To replace the idea of a caring God?"

"I can throw in some chips???"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, I must say I actually really quite like the ending The themes are kinda my jam though. Reminds me a lot of inio asano stuff.

I don't really view the cult stuff as out of nowhere. It ties into what how mae is as a character, and it's basically an extreme version of her own stagnation. Her inability to move on. They think getting rid of things that seem different and keeping things the same is a way to save their town, but it's not. You can see signs of possum springs decaying. Changing. Losing what makes it possum springs, but it's not necessarily bad thing to move on as long as you know the value of what you're losing. That's why she say that she wants it to hurt when she let's go. In a way she needs the safety blanket how she was back with gregg and bea, but she can see that they themselves have changed, but she's willing to let go knowing the value of those days. The cult is just an examination of what happens when one doesn't let go.

You can view the eldritch thingy as a literal thing, but I think in the end it's a useful way to express that black hole that is her stagnation, and the town's stagnation, and its appeal.

But life goes on. Her future and the future of her friends might be uncertain, but life goes on anyway, and sometimes that means just playing a song and grabbing some pizza. And I think there's beauty in that message.

Also a pretty eerie examination on the rise of trump.

rotpb517

So I just bought the game on steam and installed it but every time I run it I don't have any in-game audio. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Alastor3

I redeemed the ps4 kickstarter code and got the game but not the theme?

Anyway player for a few hours and got some questions mostly demontower:

1) why does my character seems to lump in the third floor and lost a hearts?

2) i killed a friendly npc I think ilon the second floor near the elevator, what does he do?

I really like the game otherwise but just one question. I thought Mae was a boy but it's a girl :O

Top Bottom