• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night in the Woods |OT| Come Home

header5couu.png

neogafyrzh9.png

At The End Of Everything, Hold On To Anything
College dropout Mae Borowski returns home to the crumbling former mining town of Possum Springs seeking to resume her aimless former life and reconnect with the friends she left behind. But things aren't the same. Home seems different now and her friends have grown and changed. Leaves are falling and the wind is growing colder. Strange things are happening as the light fades.

And there's something in the woods.

Platform: PC (Linux, Windows, Mac), PS4
Release Date: Europe (PS4) February 28th, Everywhere else February 21st (Kickstarter backers get the game a day early on the 20th)
Price: $19.99/£14.99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital Only
Developer: Infinite Fall
Publisher: Finji
ESRB: T
File Size: TBA

infoggrch.png

What is Night in the Woods?
NIGHT IN THE WOODS is an adventure game focused on exploration, story, and character, featuring dozens of characters to meet and lots to do across a lush, vibrant world. After a successful Kickstarter it's being made by Infinite Fall, a teamup of Alec Holowka (Aquaria), Scott Benson (Late Night Work Club), and Bethany Hockenberry.

How Long is it?
TBA

What's This About Supplemental Games?
During the development of Night in the Woods the developers created two (canon) experiences that act as side stories to the game. Both are available here on Windows, Linux and Mac for a ”pay what you want" asking price. They are not required background material for Night in the Woods.

trailersw4ocy.png

animated0.gif
animated2.gif

animated1.gif
animated3.gif

reviews93ov3.png

Financial Post: 9/10
If only the photorealistic human characters we see in games that cost 100 times more to make were capable of plumbing the human experience as capably and deeply as the cartoon animal cast of Night in the Woods.
GameInformer: 8.75/10
Night in the Woods is a strange tale with an even stranger cast of characters, but it revels in its oddities. The excellent writing pulls off a realistic sense of cynicism, childlike wonder, and comradery between friends. With its careful balance between adult themes and youth, it captures a stage of life that is confusing, frightening, and thrilling. The sluggish pacing can drag, but players fill the time by building friendships and understanding the grim secrets of a town they once again call home.
IGN: 8.7/10
Its ability to swerve from the amusing hijinks of its vibrant heroes into very real, and very serious subject matter without feeling forced or unnatural was a pleasant surprise that kept me invested in its character drama long after I'd said goodbye to Possum Springs for the first time. But just like Mae, I know I'll be back soon.

linksjkqaz.png

Karu

Pre-ordered on a whim. Need some relaxing games in my life, this one seems to fit that mold quite nicely. Saw the trailer just a few minutes ago for the first time, tho. :D

RiggyRob

Nice OT - anyone wanting to get a taste of what Night In The Woods might be like should try out Lost Constellation, it was great.

Unfortunately as a UK/EU Kickstarter backer on PS4 myself, we've been hit with another week to wait, but you might be able to switch the code for Steam/GoG if you ask the devs.

Oh wow I remember getting excited about that first trailer when it came out.

Gives me a real Life is Strange vibe for some reason, really looking forward to it when SIEE stop being shit.

benzopil

Nice OT - anyone wanting to get a taste of what Night In The Woods might be like should try out Lost Constellation, it was great.

Unfortunately as a UK/EU Kickstarter backer on PS4 myself, we've been hit with another week to wait, but you might be able to switch the code for Steam/GoG if you ask the devs.
Wait even donors will have to wait? I can understand the release date change, but it's strange that people with keys won't be able to download it.
I'm hoping for a 4-5 hour adventure. Anything shorter will be just cruel.

From what I read it seems like 15+ hours game lol. I might be wrong.

InfernoNR

I'm so hype for this game. Lost Constellation was such a beautiful little game, from the visuals to the writing to the music, it all came together so well. Can't believe the NITW is out tomorrow

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

where did you read that? I just got 40€ credit to buy Hollow Knight and Marvel, I really cant afford another 20€ but if its a 15 hour game and not the 3-4 hours I expected, that might change things...

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

I read that "multiple" playthroughs are needed to see everything as a vague answer to the question of length. But that doesn't mean it'll be substantive to actually qualify as two or three times the actual game length. If a game takes 5 hours to finish, then it takes 5 hours to finish, regardless of the number of times you want to play through it again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I read that "multiple" playthroughs are needed to see everything as a vague answer to the question of length. But that doesn't mean it'll be substantive to actually qualify as two or three times the actual game length. If a game takes 5 hours to finish, then it takes 5 hours to finish, regardless of the number of times you want to play through it again.

oh that makes more sense. And yes, that is not the same as a game being 15 hours at all. Thats like saying "witcher 2 is 80 hours long because you need to do one pass with Roche and then play again with...err... the elf guy >_>"

RiggyRob

Wait even donors will have to wait? I can understand the release date change, but it's strange that people with keys won't be able to download it.

The keys won't activate on the EU PSN store, even if you have it.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
"For everyone else though, the game will be going live on Tuesday at these times (This is for everyone other than EU PSN):
PSN North America: 8am Pacific
STEAM: 10am Pacific
GOG (and also Itch.o and Humble): 10am Pacific
If you are in the EU and requested a PS4 code and wish to change it to a Steam or GOG code so you don't have to wait an extra week please message us via KS messages by the deadline mentioned above and we'll get you sorted out."

Scott also suffered a head injury at the same time as getting this sorted, so it's understandable they focused on making sure he was alright.

epmode

So KS backers are unable to play until their version of the game goes live? No early access on any platform?

benzopil

Yeah maybe that's that. I saw some previews and they made it seem like a big game, but maybe in reality it's meant for multiple playthroughs.
The keys won't activate on the EU PSN store, even if you have it.
Ok but it's still strange for me. I mean review copies sometimes can be activated 1 month before the release (like Velocity 2X) so it's possible to let donors download the game earlier. But who knows, maybe they didn't prepare well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It'd be nice if release state changes on Steam were automatic. Two hours is hardly a big difference, but there'd be parity if it weren't up to Infinite Fall/Finji to flip the switch.

u_neek

Sucks that this got pushed back a week in Europe. Oh well, I am looking forward to reading everyone’s impressions.

wouwie

Shame it was pushed back in EU on PSN. I was looking forward to this. On the positive side, more impressions and reviews should be out by then. I hope it turns out to be a great game.

BTA

Been waiting for this. My backlog is bad and I've been bad at working through it this month so it's probably a bad idea to start it this week, but I feel like this is going to be something special.

Fisty

Man I keep passing over this when setting preorders on PSN, very intriguing from what I have seen and played. Might have to grab that discounted preorder tonight, even though I'll probably get around to playing next decade sometime

Saladinoo

I've been following this since I played one of the side stories last year. Fantastic looking game. This and YIIK I am super excited for

I've been looking forward to this for a long time. Longest Night (the PC only supplemental game) gave me some really heavy feels. I hope this delivers the same kind of mood.

The Wart

I remember when this game was first announced, the idea of a game about young adult ennui seemed so resonant, so deliciously zeitgeisty. Of course 3 years later, and now the pressing concerns of my generation are rising white nationalism, authoritarianism, and the possibility of armed conflict between global powers on a scale which hasn't even been imaginable for most of my lifetime.

Still super hyped for this game. But where it once sounded very topical, now it feels almost nostalgic.

Really excited to try out Alec Holowka's newest creation. Aquaria had a huge impact on me.

I had no idea until a few days ago that Alec was the Aquaria Alec. Blew my damn mind!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really excited to try out Alec Holowka's newest creation. Aquaria had a huge impact on me.

I believe it was my very first indie purchase. Come to think of it, I never did finish the game as I forgot to back up my saves prior to reinstalling Windows.

Top Bottom