• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night in the Woods |OT| Come Home

Downloading now on my PS4, first time I've bought a game on a whim in a very long time. Hopefully this doesn't disappoint!

Edit: first impressions are great! I love the soundtrack, and of course the art is good (IMO). The colorful dialogue is a nice change of pace too.

_h8bit

Banned
Ahh I'm so happy release day is here. Following the team on twitter as they've been working on this has been a delight and I'm excited to finally sit down and experience it.

moozoom

Hesitating between a steam Mac version and a PS4 one...

Mac version Pros : Play tonight
Mac version Cons : my mac is old (mid-2011) and the game will maybe run poorly on it...

Ps4 version Pros : play on the couch, runs well ( hopefully)
Ps4 version Cons : Wait a few days (europe)

Will wait for some impressions maybe...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
bought on steam. when does it unlock? I'd like to download it during my lunch break and play it when I get back.

Now. Restart Steam if it's not unlocked (the client checks for app changes every five minutes).

Edit: 5.36GB install/1.1GB download.

Interesting, bottom of the PlayStation Store page:

© Infinite FallCurrently downloading Night In The Woods. Life is hectic. Go grab a drink. Relax. Take a few minutes of “me time”.

Alastor3

For anyone who got a wrong code for ps4 last night, they said that they will release a patch later this evening for it.

been playing it on PC for an hour, heading back to work. I have a big powerful gaming pc, but I'm playing it on my laptop and it shouldn't be surprising that it's not a demanding game, I'm getting a decently smooth 60 fps with little drops here and there but nothing major.

Definitely charming. I like how the music playing
got thrown at you just as suddenly as it was to Mae
hahaha. I managed to do decently but definitely fucked up a bit near the end.

I can't say I love the characters quite yet since I haven't seen them for too long but the parents are cute, particularly the mom. Gregg is also awesome. Definitely looks like a keeper for a charming indie game about the struggle of early 20s college age kids I guess. Not quite adults, not quite kids.

BluWacky

71 minutes on the clock:

- thus far it's definitely a "narrative experience"; nothing has required any thought or skill to do.

- the writing is good; although all of Mae's family talk in a slightly exaggerated quippy style, there's plenty of variety across the characters.

- the plot itself is pretty interesting thus far, although it seems to be a slow burn.
Whether the severed arm will play a part in anything remains to be seen; more intriguing will be why Mae dropped out of college (mental health issues? Her reaction to the college statue is clearly not normal, dream space or otherwise) and what happened to earn her the "killer" nickname

- it's a very, very pretty game if you like 2D art.

While it's perhaps a little samey thus far - lots of "go here, then go back here, now click through dialogue" - it's certainly an interesting game to play.

McGwigan

Banned
So the launch was a bit of a disaster.... I played briefly last night but between seeing lines like "I have no more dialogue, sorry", "This convo needs to be longer" and "insert random emoticon here" it left me feeling like the dialogue really doesn't matter that much if it can just be filled in with "whatever" at the last second.

I stopped playing because I saw a note they sent out saying a couple month earlier build was released instead of the final game. And I didn't honestly know whether a lot of what I was seeing was unfinished or just bad. So I don't know whether I should be judging it yet.

Though the music is bad. As a Kickstarter backer at the soundtrack tier that is a REAL bummer. Sounds like beginner level stuff and I had higher hopes.

Truant

Is it true that the wrong build got released on Steam? Kinda unsure whether to wait or play tonight.

Menu music is good, tho.

hughesta

Banned
PS4 seems... fine to me? Haven't experienced any oddities through my first hour of play, though I did install a massive update.

The update file on PSN is literally downloading the entire game, again? Thought they only had preview build issues with backers?
Welp, this is going to take a while with the egregiously slow PSN download times.

The_Kid

Backed the humble bundle tier and still waiting for the link to download the game to go up. :/

Not surprised. The people who backed on humble seemed to be an afterthought.

So I was waiting on getting this but I started having a look at the steam forums and theres a lot of issues with the PC version but what actually made it worse is the what I'm assuming a developer asking on a steam forum regarding keybindings what platform is he having problems...?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/481510/discussions/0/135509724377214664/

I want to play it but all these issues are scaring me a bit and I still dont know how long this game is..20 euros for a 3 hour game is a huge no in my books.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I was waiting on getting this but I started having a look at the steam forums and theres a lot of issues with the PC version but what actually made it worse is the what I'm assuming a developer asking on a steam forum regarding keybindings what platform is he having problems...?

I want to play it but all these issues are scaring me a bit and I still dont know how long this game is..20 euros for a 3 hour game is a huge no in my books.

The PC version is available on Windows, Mac and Linux. Different operating systems store files in different places, thus the question.

Alastor3

who said it's 3 hours?

Pedersen

Anybody get a really high Oxenfree, Life is strange(notebook) vibe outta this this game? Just more charming and fun writing with a lot more characters? Love how cosy and sentimental it is. Sad 21:9 is not supported, as it would look soooo good with it:/ I'm having fun learning about Mae's life though!

Ok, I love this atmosphere! Much more than Oxenfree!

Aaaaaand now im crying over Drew Scanlon leaving GB. Gonna drown my sorrows so bad in this game tonight lol

Alastor3

Still waiting on my key...

JOPAcOf.png

71 minutes on the clock:

- thus far it's definitely a "narrative experience"; nothing has required any thought or skill to do.

- the writing is good; although all of Mae's family talk in a slightly exaggerated quippy style, there's plenty of variety across the characters.

- the plot itself is pretty interesting thus far, although it seems to be a slow burn.
Whether the severed arm will play a part in anything remains to be seen; more intriguing will be why Mae dropped out of college (mental health issues? Her reaction to the college statue is clearly not normal, dream space or otherwise) and what happened to earn her the "killer" nickname

- it's a very, very pretty game if you like 2D art.

While it's perhaps a little samey thus far - lots of "go here, then go back here, now click through dialogue" - it's certainly an interesting game to play.
Yeah these are my thoughts. Most fun gameplay was the music playing, hopefully there's more of that. Looks like it'll be heavily narrative focused which is my jam usually. I will say I'm not a fan of the movement. Feels sluggish. Looks like they were trying to copy the Mario 2 jumps and super jump thing which I found cute, but it's not as effective in here. I also struggle to get Mae to choose a 'depth' where to walk on. This is a particular isolated issue in the second floor of the house when she keeps trying to walk down the stairs.

I'm loving the quirky nature and artstyle, well see where the narrative goes but I have high hopes to at least like the characters.

Aizo

Banned

Why is that weird? It's available on Linux and Mac, too.

Fancolors

Glad reactions are positive so far.

I bought it today based purely on how much I liked Lost Constellation, which I'm very fond of.

Top Bottom