• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night in the Woods |OT| Come Home

Opa-Pa

So I've been playing this for an hour or so, I'm completely in love with this game. The music is pretty chill, the writing is great and the humor is genuinely funny... Not to mention that as someone who grew up in a rural town and had a rocky college experience... It's extremely nostalgic and definitely hits home.

The game itself is gorgeous looking too, I love the style.

Here's hoping that chapter 4 doesn't change my impression, but honestly I doubt it will (too much?)

And god damn, that Demonhead game is a nice touch, I made it to stage four and stopped because I know I wouldn't drop it till I beat it otherwise haha.

I did the exact same two things. I'm curious too if someone chose Gregg the first day and bea the second.

My understanding based on implication is that
every day there is something new seeing how when you talk to them that day they say something different on what they'll be doing
Well I chose Gregg the first night and
we broke into an abandoned grocery store, and stole what I think is a character suit. We went to the diner after and he told me he's moving.

As for Bea night two
you go to a little old lady's house as a part of Bea's work. It's titled house call.

Oh my god, I noticed the music stopped and it sounded like someone tuning his guitar and then I looked in the background and that alligator douchebag was tuning his guitar.

That's so cool.

Dinjoralo

I think this is a game you kinda have to replay a bunch to see everything. I know there's a good amount to find exploring the town. And there's a lot of weird achievements that make me feel like maybe there's more to this? I don't know.

ymgve

The "nightmare" sections where you have to jump around and find four musicians really drag on, especially when doing it for the 3rd and 4th time. Thankfully they're not every night.

Famassu

I really loved the music in those sections and the atmosphere was strong enough that I didn't mind that they weren't the most interesting things from a gameplay perspective.

Opa-Pa

Soundtrack in this is pretty damn good actually, is it avaible somewhere?

Any thoughts on PC vs PS4? Is the text hard to read on PS4?

Text is pretty big actually, so not at all. Game runs great on PS4 and most "extra" exploration is done via platforming so might as well play with a controller.

Man, Demontower is so addicting. I haven't even advanced the story that much because I'm trying to beat it. On the last level though, so shouldn't be too much longer, then I can experience the real game haha.

Edit: after many attempts I have finally completed Demontower!

Puruzi

Banned
Oh fuck I remember being insanely hype for this when I saw the first trailer, had no idea it was out. Def buying.

DNAbro

Got to part 3. Don't really like the dream music sections. Last one took me forever to find the last thing.

Also 3rd band session kicked my ass. That was surprisingly really difficult.

drac96

I beat it a few hours ago and am still thinking about it. I really like the game as a whole even if I agree that the last bit of the game goes a bit off the rails. The characters are all well written and I loved exploring the town.

The 4th chapter is definitely super weird. At first I was like " Oh cool. It's basically going to be the plot twist of Hot Fuzz." I love that movie. Then it got into the cosmic horror stuff and I was a little less on board. That kind of stuff bothers me when it comes out of nowhere. Unless I just "didn't get it" I didn't really see any foreshadowing of the cosmic horror stuff. Like sure Mae was having weird dreams but the game gives no reason to believe it's anything more than that? I'll probably play again to see if I pick up on anything more.

Kyuur

Played a bit more, Chapter 3 now. Really like where its heading so far and can't wait to see how it all ties together. From earlier posts sounds like I'll definitely have to do another play through for alternative options.

Spent some time doing some more optional stuff too, got a couple of achievements!

Edit: Also, to those done; I wonder if there are multiple endings or a true/100% ending? Feels to me like there is enough of a split in what you can do during Chapter 2 to make it happen, although Chapter 3 seems like it might be more linear..

Just got to the first band practice, and man, I wish I had been streaming the game, I can't imagine the look I must have had on my face. This game is 110% my fucking jam.

Just beat it.

Let me start by saying that no, chapter 4 and the ending doesn't ruin the whole game. But it definitely feels like it came out of nowhere and it didn't feel like it was done well for what the rest of the game was doing. It didn't feel deserved at least with the information I got when I played it.

I was actually giggling a bit because I started saying in my head (do not read spoiler as it says movie title that hints heavily at what happens)
'the greater good' like the cult in Hot Fuzz

Overall it was enjoyable. Not because of the gameplay, neither was it because of the plot as outside of hints the game seemed to be going to a completely different direction.

The characters stole the show. None were particularly memorable where I'll remember them for years to come, but at the very least they were a fun gang to hang out with. Stand out character was obviously Bea. All of the most serious moments were with her.

I'm kind of disappointed in one very nitpicky aspect when it came to the second floor door in the house
after finally unlocking it and figuring out the combination of the safe it was for absolutely nothing besides finding a tooth

I don't think playing the game again to see the other day to day activities would really be worth it. I'm satisfied with the title.

I'd give the game before chapter 4 an 8/10, with chapter 4 a 7/10. Still very much worth playing even if it fumbled at the end.

Edit: to the above question of a true ending, if there is I don't see what it could be. I talked to every single character, finished their stories, and even did a side thing that ended up being absolutely nothing.

Taking a break at the start of Chapter 3. Really enjoying it thus far, a slow but enjoyable burn. Attempting to fill up the journal all in one go along with every optional interaction but I feel like I'm missing a few. Would like to get the platinum without a full replay.

Still waiting on my code... Support dropped off the face of the Earth.

Fuck it I'll just spend another 20 dollars.

Their twitter has been super active, I'd give them a shot.

jamsy

Also just got to Chapter 3 and am taking a little break.

Really like this game. It's pretty, super charming, got great music and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dialogue.

I'm kind of disappointed in one very nitpicky aspect when it came to the second floor door in the house
after finally unlocking it and figuring out the combination of the safe it was for absolutely nothing besides finding a tooth

Well, there is an explanation of what the tooth is about at the library, when you look for ghost clues.
HAven't finished the game, so I must confess I'm disapointed as I thought the tooth would be put to use at some later stage :(

EDIT:
So just finished it. Had a discution with Dad in front of the house where he was talking about how his new job sucked: Mae explains about the tooth and give it to him. Not much but hey.

robotrock

Banned
I didn't like this game as much as I expected to. I really loved the first few hours of it, but once you start getting into the loop of dream-> wake up -> use computer -> hang out with friend -> go to bed -> repeat, it gets tiring. Especially when the game took me like nine or so hours to finish. The dialogue, while being wonderful and charming originally, wore out its welcome by the end of the game.

Act 4 has some incredibly interesting things going for it, but I think they really muddy up the landing on just about everything they try to set up.

Stand out character was obviously Bea. All of the most serious moments were with her.

Proximity is probably my favorite part of that game. really great stuff.

Osahi

So I noticed on EU PSN it's only coming out the 28th, but I could've sworn I saw it available tueday. Did they pull the game off due to the launch snaffu's?

ymgve

So I noticed on EU PSN it's only coming out the 28th, but I could've sworn I saw it available tueday. Did they pull the game off due to the launch snaffu's?

Sony Europe is notoriously bad at releasing games in sync with other regions (Still waiting for I Expect You To Die, SOE!)

Wensih

Oh my god, I noticed the music stopped and it sounded like someone tuning his guitar and then I looked in the background and that alligator douchebag was tuning his guitar.

That's so cool.

I knew there was a single word to describe sound coming from within the world of a film/game. I had read it in an article about Mad Max a year or so ago, and I was searching for this word to describe that technique for a long time when trying to write some thoughts down about Thumper, but could not for the life of me find it. A few weeks later I was watching a GB quick look and Ryckert blurts out "was that diegetic sound"? The word I spent maybe 30 minutes trying to find weeks ago is diegetic sound.

It's a cool word and a cool technique.

Famassu

Sony Europe is notoriously bad at releasing games in sync with other regions (Still waiting for I Expect You To Die, SOE!)
This is not on Sony Europe. In their exhaustion and other shit that happened (like a freak head injury accident), the devs themselves caused the European delay.

Opa-Pa

Update 1.03 out on PS4.

Three updates already, geez, does this mean Sony is giving them a special treatment? (awesome if so). I mean, certification is a thing.

I knew there was a single word to describe sound coming from within the world of a film/game. I had read it in an article about Mad Max a year or so ago, and I was searching for this word to describe that technique for a long time when trying to write some thoughts down about Thumper, but could not for the life of me find it. A few weeks later I was watching a GB quick look and Ryckert blurts out "was that diegetic sound"? The word I spent maybe 30 minutes trying to find weeks ago is diegetic sound.

It's a cool word and a cool technique.

Oh neat, I learned something today.

DNAbro

Just finished it and I kind of get what you guys mean about part 4. I don't think it really goes of the deep end, nothing was beyond the realm of what they were setting up, but it kind of just climaxes too early. It was like "oh shit what is goi- oh and it's done" . Still a really enjoyable game, best parts are the character moments and the writing.

Will probably play it again because I only hung out with Bea like once and I want to know more about her.

Also Gregg rulz ok

BluWacky

Just finished it and I kind of get what you guys mean about part 4. I don't think it really goes of the deep end, nothing was beyond the realm of what they were setting up, but it kind of just climaxes too early. It was like "oh shit what is goi- oh and it's done" . Still a really enjoyable game, best parts are the character moments and the writing.

Will probably play it again because I only hung out with Bea like once and I want to know more about her.

How did the end of the game play out? I spent more time with Bea than with Gregg and so lots of the cutscenes seemed very heavily weighted towards her, and I did wonder whether Gregg developed any more depth than "guy who likes to commit petty crimes" (the main reason I didn't spend much time with him). Angus seemed to get far more development than Gregg did!

I also just finished it. I can't quite make up my mind why I find Act 4 so dissatisfying; I think the game doesn't do a good enough job of integrating its disparate elements, though - the more surprising elements of the story feel very disconnected from the human drama that makes up most of the playtime, and it seems a little nonsensical at times.

End spoilers, do not read unless you want the whole thing spoilt
I'll buy a secret cult sacrificing townspeople to keep Possum Springs alive - although it didn't seem to be doing much good, this was signposted well enough. Mae being SUPER SPECIAL PSYCHIC, however, I did not really buy, given how carefully the story suggests she has legitimate mental health issues. Like I say, the two different parts of the story don't really mesh together; perhaps if more time had been spent on the investigative aspects of Chapter 3 I'd have felt they were closer linked.

Things I presume I've missed out on by not spending enough time on them:
- Whatever the hobo was doing in the woods - I chatted to him a couple of times but nothing more.
- Pastor K
- I never stole anything from the vendor in the subway or found out who did the graffiti on the mural down there - the subway seemed pretty pointless in general
- I think I did all the star-gazing with the teacher on the roof but that seemed like a prime "achievement" task and nothing popped up, so...

I don't really have any great desire to play through the game again; the structure is too repetitive and the load times are weirdly long, even on PC, given the limited amount of interaction you get to do between them (mostly it's just running across a screen!). Beautiful art notwithstanding, I don't think it's going to go down in history as one of the more memorable "narrative"-type games of recent years.

DNAbro

How did the end of the game play out? I spent more time with Bea than with Gregg and so lots of the cutscenes seemed very heavily weighted towards her, and I did wonder whether Gregg developed any more depth than "guy who likes to commit petty crimes" (the main reason I didn't spend much time with him). Angus seemed to get far more development than Gregg did!

I also just finished it. I can't quite make up my mind why I find Act 4 so dissatisfying; I think the game doesn't do a good enough job of integrating its disparate elements, though - the more surprising elements of the story feel very disconnected from the human drama that makes up most of the playtime, and it seems a little nonsensical at times.

End spoilers, do not read unless you want the whole thing spoilt
I'll buy a secret cult sacrificing townspeople to keep Possum Springs alive - although it didn't seem to be doing much good, this was signposted well enough. Mae being SUPER SPECIAL PSYCHIC, however, I did not really buy, given how carefully the story suggests she has legitimate mental health issues. Like I say, the two different parts of the story don't really mesh together; perhaps if more time had been spent on the investigative aspects of Chapter 3 I'd have felt they were closer linked.

Things I presume I've missed out on by not spending enough time on them:
- Whatever the hobo was doing in the woods - I chatted to him a couple of times but nothing more.
- Pastor K
- I never stole anything from the vendor in the subway or found out who did the graffiti on the mural down there - the subway seemed pretty pointless in general
- I think I did all the star-gazing with the teacher on the roof but that seemed like a prime "achievement" task and nothing popped up, so...

I don't really have any great desire to play through the game again; the structure is too repetitive and the load times are weirdly long, even on PC, given the limited amount of interaction you get to do between them (mostly it's just running across a screen!). Beautiful art notwithstanding, I don't think it's going to go down in history as one of the more memorable "narrative"-type games of recent years.

I'm curious about some things
In the scene right before the credits, were you with Bea? I was with Gregg at the end. I thought he had some pretty good development and I could relate to quite a few of the things he was going through. And one more part, right before you go into the woods, when Mae is all hurt, did you have a talk with Bea or Gregg?

And as far as the weird eldritch thing going on, I kind of saw some of Mae's problems separate from it. I kind of accepted it as a thematic placeholder for something in life you can't control yet you have to deal with. Mae was dealing with issues, I don't think eldritch horror stops that. :p But I do agree it doesn't really mesh well.

Also
There is a trophy/achievement for seeing all the dusk stars. I liked the last one. Kind of wrapped up a lot of the thematic elements of just trying to survive through life.

BluWacky

I'm curious about some things
In the scene right before the credits, were you with Bea? I was with Gregg at the end. I thought he had some pretty good development and I could relate to quite a few of the things he was going through. And one more part, right before you go into the woods, when Mae is all hurt, did you have a talk with Bea or Gregg?
I was with Bea at the end (although Angus and Gregg joined us afterwards). Before going into the woods my talk was with her as well - Mae and Bea slept on the couch and Mae explained why she hit the kid in high school. Did you play as Bea or Gregg at the start of chapter 4?

Also
There is a trophy/achievement for seeing all the dusk stars. I liked the last one. Kind of wrapped up a lot of the thematic elements of just trying to survive through life.

Oh, okay. I either missed some or the achievement didn't pop - the PC achievements weren't added until I was halfway through playing anyway so there's a bunch of stuff I've missed out on.

DNAbro

I was with Bea at the end (although Angus and Gregg joined us afterwards). Before going into the woods my talk was with her as well - Mae and Bea slept on the couch and Mae explained why she hit the kid in high school. Did you play as Bea or Gregg at the start of chapter 4?

Oh, okay. I either missed some or the achievement didn't pop - the PC achievements weren't added until I was halfway through playing anyway so there's a bunch of stuff I've missed out on.

Gregg

Mae talked about the same things.

Top Bottom