• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS (Teaser site live)

Sax_Man

Banned
I love RPGs, but I never felt I could get into them as well on handhelds. Something between the posture while I'm sitting, smaller screen, worse graphics, inferior controls and the likes never let me feel an epic title was as epic as it could have been. Sure stuff like TWEWY is perfect for a handheld, but it was more art based than technical. I just can't stand playing even a great handheld RPG for more than 2 hours before either my hands hurt from holding the system or my neck from looking down, console RPGs I could put 6 or 7 hours into.

Now, I know that obviously the 3DS is capable of better graphics than past-gens, Vita as well, and the Vita is closer to a PS3 controller than ever, plus I bought a pretty sweet set of handles for it, so I'm looking forward to handheld gaming this gen more, since now both handhelds have analog(s), pretty good graphics and the likes.

I would be even more excited for this if we got one god damn console RPG from Atlus this whole gen.

My man.

The end of the world just ain't the same on a 3-inch popup storybook.

Aeana

Granted I don't have any experience with the series but the reason I question it coming out is do to how things currently look with the 3DS in terms of japanese games. Where they aren't even hinted at being brought over yet keep being announced and released over there. As if the publishers there are simply content with focusing only on Japan. I'd happily be wrong but just not feeling that good about the situation.
Atlus USA hasn't failed to release a Megami Tensei-related game in English in a very, very long time. It's their main internal franchise.

Eusis

Granted I don't have any experience with the series but the reason I question it coming out is do to how things currently look with the 3DS in terms of japanese games. Where they aren't even hinted at being brought over yet keep being announced and released over there. As if the publishers there are simply content with focusing only on Japan. I'd love to be wrong but just not feeling that good about the situation.
You're confusing the 3DS with the PSP. Though it is awfully quiet for Level 5 games, but I'd wait and see there.

duckroll

It looks like there'll be another Atlus preview blow-out in Famitsu next issue, so aside from more P4G, EO4, P4U, and Soul Hackers updates, they might actually have SMT4 news next week.

VinLAURiA

Banned
The amount of people who now want a 3DS makes me a very happy Vin. Now that they're getting one, they have a reason to get other 3DS games since they won't be getting a new system for them.

... Just as planned.

Rikkun

So they're officially jumping a generation on home consoles? They might as well start working directly on WiiU and next consoles.

It's best in general I think to not let anticipation eat away at you for someting a year plus anyway.

The other part of the post is too ridiculous to take seriously. Maybe if a nightmare scenario where the 3DS collapses entirely by the end of the year, but I think we're safe now.

Or maybe he is speaking about Europe ;)

Because we usually get jrpgs much later if at all which is why 3DS region locking is disaster.

Koroviev

So they're officially jumping a generation on home consoles? They might as well start working directly on WiiU and next consoles.

Will they even bother with new home consoles? I'd think that the whole reason they're skipping this gen is to keep costs reasonable. Between the Japanese market being biased toward handheld gaming and Atlus being a niche developer to begin with, it just doesn't seem like it would make sense for them to try to cater to the smaller HD console market.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sigh, seems like once again all the great Japanese games are gonna go to the handheld systems. I know I'm probably alone here, but long and intensive RPGs on a handheld doesn't work well for me. Strains my eyes and my hands too much :(

Will they even bother with new home consoles? I'd think that the whole reason they're skipping this gen is to keep costs reasonable. Between the Japanese market being biased toward handheld gaming and Atlus being a niche developer to begin with, it just doesn't seem like it would make sense for them to try to cater to the smaller HD console market.

agree. they've looked at the current 'industry' environment, &, imo, chosen wisely. they can continue to make the kinda games they want, & that their fans enjoy, & without going broke in the process...

duckroll

It's definitely Tokyo:

YDbFb.png

I might have to get a 3DS in 3 years or so when this comes out in Europe. I hope a 3DS revision is out by then.

Put Persona 5 on the Vita (shut up!) and I'd be happy. Vita for Persona, 3DS for other MegaTen. I could live in that world, because I'd know where my games were going to be.

That would be awful. I don't want 2 current gen handhelds. Hell, I don't even want 1, but Nocturne/Lucifers Call was so good that I can't miss SMT 4.

Alrus

A medieval city? strange.

You're confusing the 3DS with the PSP. Though it is awfully quiet for Level 5 games, but I'd wait and see there.

Well Level 5 usually take some times to come over, but we'll be getting Layton 5 this fall for sure, IE is getting releases in Europe (and considering it still sells very well in Italy and Spain I'm pretty sure we'll get either IE3 or Go next year).

As for the rest of their RPG, well Ni No Kuni DS had that "huge" book with it which was always going to hurt its potential for localization and we're getting Ni No Kuni PS3 next year.

LBX is still a question mark but I'm guessing we might get the 3DS version someday.

Rest of their games aren't even out in Japan yet (Outside of Girls RPG but that's never coming for obvious reasons).

Koroviev

I might have to get a 3DS in 3 years or so when this comes out in Europe. I hope a 3DS revision is out by then.

That would be awful. I don't want 2 current gen handhelds. Hell, I don't even want 1, but Nocturne/Lucifers Call was so good that I can't miss SMT 4.

Pardon my ignorance, but why don't you guys in Europe import the US 3DS? Is it prohibitively costly?

7threst

Pardon my ignorance, but why don't you guys in Europe import the US 3DS? Is it prohibitively costly?

Yes, and we have to import all our games, and probably out e-shop cards too. And if it's just a few games you're interested in, it's a lot of money just for a few games...

Alrus

It is pretty costly and important games isn't exactly cheap either. It's a lot of money to spend just to be able to play a few specific games.

Aeana

It is pretty costly and important games isn't exactly cheap either. It's a lot of money to spend just to be able to play a few specific games.
Other people were saying not too long ago that it was actually cheaper to import US games to Europe (UK at least) than it was to buy locally, because the dollar is so crappy right now. Not true anymore?

Koroviev

Other people were saying not too long ago that it was actually cheaper to import US games to Europe (UK at least) than it was to buy locally, because the dollar is so crappy right now. Not true anymore?
Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case, but apparently not :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Dollar has been doing pretty well lately against the pound and the euro.

Helped out a bunch when importing Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower.

Danielsan

The Euro is at a new low and despite that, it's actually far cheaper for mainland Europeans to import from the UK because prices tend to drop like bricks there.

mt1200

I feel I should point out that SMTI, If...., and Nocturne all starred high schoolers. It's not the age of the characters, necessarily, it's what you do with them.

I feel awkward playing with 17 year olds all the time. Catherine is a good example of why mature characters work well.

Danielsan

Hmm... the teaser pictures a European-looking fortified city on top and a Western-like street at the bottom with a sign written in letters instead of kanji/kana. Either parts of other cities will somehow warp into Tokyo or this will be the first numbered SMT set outside Japan.
The street at the bottom is Tokyo's Ginza district, which was also featured in Nocturne if I'm not mistaken.

mclem

Hmm... the teaser pictures a European-looking fortified city on top and a Western-like street at the bottom with a sign written in letters instead of kanji/kana. Either parts of other cities will somehow warp into Tokyo or this will be the first numbered SMT set outside Japan.

The bottom does appear to be Tokyo anyway, although the upper does seem to be stylistically more European. Perhaps it's got multiple locations outside Tokyo, with Tokyo as a hub? Perhaps it's your warping suggestion? Perhaps it's just a rather oddly-styled medieval Japan?

Depends on the game. You can get some games tax-free from some finnish online stores.

Eusis

The bottom does appear to be Tokyo anyway, although the upper does seem to be stylistically more European. Perhaps it's got multiple locations outside Tokyo, with Tokyo as a hub? Perhaps it's your warping suggestion? Perhaps it's just a rather oddly-styled medieval Japan?
Might be some degree of time travel, or perhaps several hundred years later after an apocalypse and a medieval society has established itself, even with European castles built.

Anyways, VERY intrigued to see where this goes.

duckroll

I'm pretty sure the first image is also Tokyo. Look within the walled city and you'll see skyscrapers. Definitely post-apocalypse.

Top Bottom