• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

Z3M0G

Im considering trying the best PSP MH on Vita to see if i can get into it...

Which one would that be? Is this a good idea?

Or should i go 3DS without 2nd stick?

Kinsei

Banned

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. If you don't mind playing a game in Japanese then you could also get Portable 3rd. It's not as good as MHFU but it's a much better entry point into the series due to it's relatively low difficulty and better hit boxes.

Comandr

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. If you don't mind playing a game in Japanese then you could also get Portable 3rd. It's not as good as MHFU but it's a much better entry point into the series due to it's relatively low difficulty and better hit boxes.

Whoa there. Let's dial down the crazy talk. Portable 3rd is excellent. Easily the best MH on PSP despite not having G rank. If you can play it in Japanese or get your hands on the translation patch, it really is excellent.

Seems like there is a monster pulse reading on the bottom left of the UI/HUD. It beats rapidly when the monster is enraged, and is close to flatlining when the monster is close to death.

Wow nice catch. I didn't even see that. But yes it definitely appears to be exactly as you describe it. I guess monsters have a "health bar" now after all.

Western spinoff trash confirmed

Kyoufu

Whoa there. Let's dial down the crazy talk. Portable 3rd is excellent. Easily the best MH on PSP despite not having G rank. If you can play it in Japanese or get your hands on the translation patch, it really is excellent.

Nah, man. P3rd is poop in comparison. Too easy and far too many subspecies. Fighting monsters reskinned with different colours gets really tiring. It's one of my least favourite MH games.

Kyoufu

I noticed something wonderful while watching this: Rathalos' diving claw attack no longer acts like a fucking heat-seeking missile!

Was so ridiculous in the 4th gen games seeing Rathalos warp to his prey.

Animations and monster movements have been improved so much. Monsters don't move around like bunny rabbits now. They actually turn like you'd expect a living creature would.

Ridley327

You'd be better off with a 3DS entry, to be honest. Even though you won't have a second stick, the target camera does a really good job of keeping your focus on the monster without feeling like a crutch, which is something the PSP games never had available. Plus it's really hard to go back to the old broken hit boxes.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
You'd be better off with a 3DS entry, to be honest. Even though you won't have a second stick, the target camera does a really good job of keeping your focus on the monster without feeling like a crutch, which is something the PSP games never had available. Plus it's really hard to go back to the old broken hit boxes.

This is the best advice.

I'll never forget the horrors of Plesioth's hit box or the ridiculous placement of the camera controls on the psp.

Best PSP monhun is P3rd for sure. FU has a fuckton of content but hitboxes are a mess, the weapons are lacking some functionality added in gen 3 titles that adds quite a bit, and the gen 3 monsters are some of the best. Not to mention FU is not a very attractive game in comparison and soloing G rank is masochism.
Whichever you pick, you're still losing. Monster Hunter with those controls... yikes
You say that like the 3DS is an improvement.
Not to mention you can use two analogs on the vita.

Kinsei

Banned
Best PSP monhun is P3rd for sure. FU has a fuckton of content but hitboxes are a mess, the weapons are lacking some functionality added in gen 3 titles that adds quite a bit, and the gen 3 monsters are some of the best. Not to mention FU is not a very attractive game in comparison and soloing G rank is masochism.

You say that like the 3DS is an improvement.
Not to mention you can use two analogs on the vita.

MHFU G rank solo is some of the best content the series has to offer.

Kyoufu

MH4U has everything you might need, from single player to online multiplayer without the need for ad-hoc play.

Lack of online multiplayer really held back the PSP versions in the west. Having to use Xlink Kai to play online was ridiculous. :/

Lack of online multiplayer really held back the PSP versions in the west. Having to use Xlink Kai to play online was ridiculous. :/

Ah, those were the days on PSP - MHF/2/Unite/3rd. When Kai didn't work I even put up Craigslist ads for local meet-ups at Starbucks to play, and always met cool people to play with.

Kyoufu

Ah, those were the days on PSP - MHF/2/Unite/3rd. When Kai didn't work I even put up Craigslist ads for local meet-ups at Starbucks to play, and always met cool people to play with.

The WiFi Max dongle was the worst. Buggy drivers that would BSOD my PC all the time and all the sync issues it had with Xlink Kai. Argh.

I'm glad Capcom finally saw sense in implementing online multiplayer on the handheld games.

Kinsei

Banned
I wonder how many ppl have actually beaten "Monster Hunter" in MHFU..

Probably everyone that unlocked it. I feel like if you're dedicated enough to do every single village and Nekoht quest then you're probably the type that would also beat the Monster Hunter quest. I'm more curious in wondering how many people have done that quest with high rank gear instead of coming back to it with G rank gear.

cLOUDo

"Wow, this is so much like my dreams it's scary."
RO1ZsgUKLqy791AsbOvp4vPq6r4=.gif

Gaijin Hunter made a commentary vid of the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYFIFfhq-wc

Also, it seems like there's two accessory slots -- looks like you can bring two mantles or use that slot for something else.

If you actually read that comment, it's pretty obvious they're talking about potions etc and not attack animations. Attack animations have nothing to do with going to different areas.

Lyin' lyrick

Welp.

This video shot my hype into the stratosphere. Everything looks and sounds absolutely fantastic.

Defuser

I decided to boot my Portable 3rd to remember the feel and doing village quest all over again.

Goddamn, I can't do the claw anymore :(

Ristlager

You may not believe me on this, but after playing Monster Hunter FU on Psp and vita and iPad, p3rd on vita and 4u on 3ds I actually found the iPad version of MHFU the best of them all. It controls shockingly well for an iPad game and has the best control of all of the games. i got two of my friends to join me without no previously experience with MH, they were hooked and we did almost every quest in the game. Two of us did the last single Quest called Monster Hunter. I cannot say enough good things about the game. There was a good amount of players online when I played, so it was easy to find a group, I don't know how it's populated now, since it's a while since I played it.

PKrockin

It's hard for me to believe people actually think MHFU is somehow better than the games that followed. I've tried to go back to it many times and it's just so bad. I have no idea what people even see in it besides nostalgia and difficulty.

• The weapons are terrible, like LS doesn't have any of its fun moves, hammer's hitboxes are fucked and lacks the uppercut, lance has no counter, the horn note system is horrible, and so on.
  • Monster hitboxes are absolutely terrible, as if they were just placeholders. Besides the infamous stuff there's also shit like certain monsters doing absurd amounts of damage for no reason, like if you're behind Rathalos/Rathian when he taunts, or Nargacuga's tail.
  • Monster behaviors are more annoying and time-wasting. Diablos takes ages to come out of the sand. Cephadrome will swim around for minutes at a time completely ignoring you, similar with Plessy. Rathalos seems to love doing his world tour in this game. Flying monsters will peace out to another area, and then leave that area before you can get there.
  • Monster designs in first and second gen are shit with a few exceptions like Narga. Compare xdromes with xaggis, or Yian Kut-Ku with Qurupeco, or Cephadrome with Nibelsnarf, etc. So many first and second gen monsters are also just slapped on unfitting skeletons, making them feel generic--compare Gravios to Uragaan.
  • Armor sets look just as terrible as the monsters they came from.
  • Lao-Shan Lung and Shen Gaoren are right up there among the worst designed boss fights in any game I've played, which would be forgivable if they weren't incredibly long fights AND urgent quests. I could go on for paragraphs about them alone.
  • In order to use the farm efficiently you have to go visit after EVERY QUEST, and you have to disconnect from the multiplayer room to do so. It's so tedious. The felyne kitchen is also tucked away inconveniently in a separate section of your home. The game really likes to waste your time making you run around doing your between-hunt chores.
  • The maps are bad. They have little variety and often force you to tiresomely run from one far end of the map to the other without any faster routes.
Now that Pokke Village is in Generations I really see no reason to go back to it, it just seems so fundamentally flawed in monster design and weapons.

Kysen

Anything before MH4 is not worth playing anymore imo. Its either bad controls or lacking mechanics/weapons. The adhoc nonsense(jumping through hoops for internet play) on the PSP versions also doesn't help.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but in ProJared's E3 impressions video he mentioned that they said there's going to be a full day and night cycle while you are out on the hunt.

That sounds pretty interesting compared to how it is now with the static day/night hunts.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but in ProJared's E3 impressions video he mentioned that they said there's going to be a full day and night cycle while you are out on the hunt.

That sounds pretty interesting compared to how it is now with the static day/night hunts.

Yeah itll be interesting to see how ecology changes in the transitions

Anything before MH4 is not worth playing anymore imo. Its either bad controls or lacking mechanics/weapons. The adhoc nonsense(jumping through hoops for internet play) on the PSP versions also doesn't help.
Crazy talk. MH3U is still an incredible game, even without ledge-jumping and mounting. Monster selection is also amazing. Qurupeco, Gobul, Barioth (he's finally back in XX), Gigginox. I love these guys, and they haven't been brought back =/. Hopefully they all show up in World.

Underwater combat gets shit on a lot, and some of it is earned, but I personally didn't find it to be too bad *shrug*. Seeing Royal Ludroth's eyes underwater is always a treat with the flooded forest's theme.

I'll have to go back to it real soon to try out more weapons now that my repertoire's been expanded.

The game's strengths are so strong that I wouldn't even bat an eye for missing features like arts, mounting, and weapon improvements. I would play with the mindset that MH3U is its own thing and appreciate it on its own merits. Of course, give it a few more years, and I'll probably agree it's hard to go back to--but not now.

Edit: the most negative thing I can think of is how much stuff requires Plates/some crafting stuff.

Toxi

Banned
It's hard for me to believe people actually think MHFU is somehow better than the games that followed. I've tried to go back to it many times and it's just so bad. I have no idea what people even see in it besides nostalgia and difficulty.

• Monster designs in first and second gen are shit with a few exceptions like Narga. Compare xdromes with xaggis, or Yian Kut-Ku with Qurupeco, or Cephadrome with Nibelsnarf, etc. So many first and second gen monsters are also just slapped on unfitting skeletons, making them feel generic--compare Gravios to Uragaan.
It's really just the first generation monsters. The 2nd gen ones (Monkeys, crabs, Kushala and co., Tigrex, Narga, Akantor and Ukanlos) are far better with only a few exceptions like Shen Gaoren and Lavasioth.

Has there been any information about hunter arts in MHW?

I would miss adept..

No Hunter arts/styles apparently but so far they have shown the grapple, slingshot thing, and the cloaks.

All weapons are getting new moves/changes it looks like too.

Like Dual Blades now get a reverse grip stance in demon mode now for example.

Greatsword has a bunch of new moves, same with everything that's been shown so far.

There's probably more systems that they haven't revealed yet.

JP_

Banned

In the 25 minute hunt, I think it actually starts in the day and ends at night. Definitely cool.

Has there been any information about hunter arts in MHW?

I would miss adept..

Wouldn't be surprised to see a Mantle that gives something like an adept dodge -- so far the confirmed mantles are

-stealth
-taunt (get monster to follow you)
-rocksteady (sounds like it gives increase defense and maybe like the equivalent of guard +1)

Top Bottom