• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What console game served as your first jump to HD gaming?

Probably Project Gotham Racing 3 on the 360, as far as consoles go. But, I remember gaming at 1600 x 1200 on a CRT monitor with a Geforce 2 card way back in 2000 - 2001, so it didn't seem like a big deal to me when HD gaming finally hit consoles.

Reiko

Banned
Here's GT4 in 1080i to put it into perspective.

Off screen... But you can see the clarity.

hdtv4rggopus.jpg

This is on a regular PS2 folks.

hongcha

Dreamcast through a VGA cable (on games that supported this output, such as Ikaruga). Such a glorious, crisp high resolution picture.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Freedom Fighters on Xbox was my first HD experience on a console.

I had played games on PC at higher resolutions than that before, though that never really jumped out too much to me.

Funnily enough, the first game I played on a HD console was Project Gotham Racing 3, which was by far the most impressive game I had seen by then, even though that game is technically sub-HD.

A toss up between Amped 3 and PGR3. Amped looked great, but I don't remember there being any online. PGR3's car models looked like toys, but the online was solid. PGR4 blew that away with beautiful models and great online though.

Wow, a lot of people went HD a lot later than I expected.

As far as consoles go, I don't know what the first game was, but it was on 360 in late 2007 through VGA on a 1440x900 monitor. I would end up getting an actual TV before the end of the year.

Same here. My first Fave was Dead Rising for 360.

Edit: Why are people mentioning "PC"? PC's are not consoles.

The title is poorly worded. Instead of asking what console game was your first experience in HD gaming, it should have asked what game was your first experience in HD gaming on consoles.

It's been a long time since when I first played a PC game on a 1024x768 monitor so I can't recall... And yes, that would put it at a 4:3 greater than 720p image, so HD ;)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I had a PS3 long before I had any kind of HD monitor. I got a 1080p PC monitor in 2008 so I'm guessing my first HD games were stuff like MGS4, Soul Calibur 4 and Valkyria Chronicles. There wasn't really an 'a-ha' moment because I got it at home so late...

Also.. Dreamcast in VGA wowed me when I first played it in .... 2007' Just 480p, but it looked amazing on a PC monitor.

The real happiness with the format came with the purchase of a 50" Panisonic Plasma earlier this year...

Pein

Banned
Gears of war, man that game was so amazing the first time around. Weirds me out were almost to the 4th one.

The 360, and Eternal Sonata. First true HD game I played on my HDTV at the time. I was blown away.

I'm not a visuals whore by any means, but the first time you really do HD gaming gives you chills. Well, it gave me chills, anyway.

Can't wait for HD Zelda and Mario to blow me away, too. Galaxy's visuals were really special, but seeing that in HD is just going to kill it.

Wow, a lot of people went HD a lot later than I expected.
I was an early adopter(2001?) and was under the impression that every tv show would be 1080i once I plugged my cable in. Boy I should have done some research. I must have watched the PBS HD demo real a hundred times with my OTA antenna.

Blur. First game I tried on a HD screen, but not the first game I played on a HD console. I've been playing the HD twins on a standard definition screen for years.

Xavien

For PC i'd have to say when games started moving beyond 2d background based games like Myst to full 3d environments. My first experience with what could be described as HD on the PC was Giants: Citizen Kabuto (at 1600x1200 on a 4:3 CRT monitor lol). Back then, that game was beautiful.

For consoles because of PCs i haven't really had that "wow" factor, because PC's spoiled me i guess.

EDIT: whoops, read the OP but not the title :p

Call of Duty 3. Yeah.

This was the LAST last-gen (PS2) game I played before starting current-gen. I wanted to beat it before playing CoD4 (lol). I think the ending was okay though and I had limited comparison for what a good shooter was then so I appreciated it.

Apollyon

Neo Member
WipEout HD on my PS3. There were some other games on disc that were arriving later after the PS3 was shipped to my house, so I hopped on the PS Store to buy WipEout HD and Final Fantasy Tactics. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't satisfied with just those two games at the time.

CronoShot

Gears of War was the first game I played in HD.

It's funny, because I had my 360 for about a year and played it on a 19" SDTV before I went HD.

SEGA Rally. I'd owned a 360 for a few months before getting a HDTV, but I clearly remember SEGA Rally being the first game I tried in HD. Fucking glorious.

surly

Banned
The first HD console game I played on one of my own machines was Assassin's Creed on the 360. I waited for a more reliable version of the 360 to come out before picking one up, so I grabbed a "Falcon" and a bunch of games around Christmas time in 2007, then I picked a PS3 up in the following year.

I was pretty blown away by the graphics, especially as I had a pretty shite PC at the time and I'd skipped the previous generation of consoles (although I had played on friends' machines).

Top Bottom