• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What console game served as your first jump to HD gaming?

Thoraxes

For me, Soul Calibur 2 on Xbox.

(Not my TV)

Playing the game in 720p was a revelation in the potential of the coming next generation consoles. So crisp & clear. Only con was not being able to play it in a true 16:9 ratio.

What you say GAF?

The PC back in the 90's.

If it's consoles only, MGS4 was the first to blow my mind.

Madouu

I'm surprised I don't remember the first console HD game exactly, to me it was a fantastic but natural improvement for consoles. That said, it was probably Gears of War seeing how it was one of the first games I bought for the 360. Finished it the same day in coop with my roommate of the time.

Been a PC gamer, so I seen HD before...but on consoles, it was Madden 07 and saints row which i believe were my 1st 2 games on the 360.

Gears of War is what blew my mind though.

Neiteio

Metal Gear Solid 4. Got the PS3 bundle.
Same. The wasteland of the Wii made me think I was done with gaming, but then I realized there are other platforms other than Nintendo. It was quite the epiphany to get a PS3 and find harmony in multiplat.

And then I got a gaming PC, and discovered Steam sales.

Reiko

Banned
On a console that I've owned, none so far (though I've been gaming in "HD" on PC since 2002 or so). Will be whatever Wii U game I decide to play first.

EDIT: Was Black on the Xbox in 720p? I thought I've heard that but I can't find anything at the moment. If it was then that would be the first console HD game I played.

I'm not sure. But I can confirm that Sonic Heroes was not 720p as advertised.

Degen

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online (PS3)

I went from playing it on a 22" CRT with mono sound and terrible color straight to a 32" LCD with HDMI that went in the same spot that the old TV used to be

the reaction:
lUgRy.jpg

"what? whaaaat?!"

When I saw the CG intro for the first time in high-def, I lost my shit completely. It actually took me a little while to adjust my eyes to the gameplay on a TV that different. Too much.

I swear I had a hd spec CRT monitor ages ago due to dad's work.

Hmmmm. Don't think any game really. I had a somewhat good pc forever, and i just got a ps3 last Black Friday and it looks awful on my 1440p monitor. :/

Ahasverus

Mine was RE5. My father while never a gaming enthusiast since Super Mario Bros has always enjoyed watching me booting up my new consoles for the first time each gen. I bought my 360 with Re5 and at the same time we used the HDMI port of our new 42'' plasma. We were both blown away, but my father was really really astounded; when gameplay started he grasped "Wait, are YOU playing now? You gotta be KIDDING me".

Then last time he was blown away by something was the begining of FF XIII-2 :p

Omikaru

Perfect Dark Zero was my first HD console game, I'm ashamed to admit. That said, I'd been playing in 4:3 resolutions roughly equivalent to HD years before on PC.

RedSwirl

Playing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on my laptop in 1280 x 800.

Edit: Oh wait console. Before owning an HD console - playing a Call of Duty 2 demo at an Xbox 360 kiosk. I remember it because the TV screen actually caught my attention in the corner of my eye from a couple hundred feet away. First HD console I bought was a PS3 and the first game I played on it was actually The Darkness.

Freedom Fighters on the original Xbox. 720p if I recall. I remember a friend came in while I was playing it and asking why it looked so good.

I'm not sure. But I can confirm that Sonic Heroes was not 720p as advertised.

Well I can't find anything about it being 720p so maybe it wasn't. I just recall it was boring and had a terrible framerate. Even if it was 720p it was not exactly a great introduction to HD gaming.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Xbox soul calibur 2. Remember playing SC on the dc with a vga box doing that jump in the same generation was totally sweet.

neoemonk

Resistance.

Because I dropped $600 on my PS3 and another $1000 on an HDTV in December 2006 and I wanted something to play on it.

I need to go back in time and slap myself.

KageMaru

I had HD games on the Xbox but didn't get an HDTV until this this Gen. So I guess I'll go with Condemned. That was the first game I played on my 360 IIRC.

I'd had a 360 since launch but had only ever played it on an SD TV. The same year I got a PS3 my dad also got a plasma TV for Christmas, so that was the first thing I hooked it up to and it looked fantastic! Also, the 360 had broken for the third or fourth time by that point, so there was no HD Xbox gaming until I went out and bought an Arcade to replace the launch Xbox.

Edit: Oh yeah, first HD PS3 game was Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

neoemonk

I guess the first game I played in HD was Call of Duty 2 on the 360. My next door neighbor got it on launch day. Resistance was the first one that I bought however.

TaroYamada

I think the first game I played in HD was Valkyria Chronicles, and WOW, what a great introduction to HD visuals. It was beautiful.

Top Bottom