• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What console game served as your first jump to HD gaming?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
It was Genji: Days of Blade PS3. :D 720p

This is tough as I've only had a HD monitor for a couple of years but...but probably Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. It was sooooo worth it.

coldfoot

Banned
Yep. PS2 did 1080i for Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy.
Yeah but HD should really mean native rendering resolution of 1280x720 or above...
Was there any Xbox game that rendered at that resolution? I'm pretty sure no PS2 game renders at that res.

Muffdraul

I got my Bravia in early 2008, blew my Xmas bonus on it. I don't remember anything major coming out around that time. I vaguely remember taking note of how different the Assassin's Creed 1 HUD looked in HD, I bet that was the first thing I played after getting the TV. Probably the newest game I had at the time. PS3 version.

EDIT: Oh wait, we're counting PC too? Uh... Tron 2.0 I guess. Goddamn that game looked tits in 2003 at 1600x1200 or whatever the max was. If only I had a nice flat LCD monitor back then. Fuckin' medieval dark ages.

EDIT2: Figures... an hour after making this post, I go home to find my Bravia dead. Only five years old. This was the first weekend I went without any TV in... I dunno, many years. To add insult to injury, I was planning on upgrading to something bigger with 3D, but alas- the best I can afford right now is to replace what I had with the exact same model... five years newer, slimmer, lighter, and with fewer inputs. Sony, you suck.

Reiko

Banned
Yeah but HD should really mean native rendering resolution of 1280x720 or above...
Was there any Xbox game that rendered at that resolution? I'm pretty sure no PS2 game renders at that res.

Enter the Matrix rendered in native 720p and 1080i.

Hulk Ultimate Destruction was also native 720p

I want to say Fifa Street for the OG Xbox but it might have been another game.

I still remember looking up this one site with all the supported HD games on the Xbox and renting them for that reason. I was definitely impressed.

Dead Rising. I was in awe the first time I experienced this, then I realized that the component cables I was using were still switched to SDTV. I sorted that out and I had to pick my jaw from the floor.

kunonabi

Valkyria Chronicles for me as well. In all honesty I don't think any HD title as really made me go wow though.

Chemo

Actually, Dead Rising.

(My initial pre-edit answer was flOw, but I forgot that I owned a 360 for a little while before it DRE'd constantly and I got rid of it forever.)

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, hooked up to a PC monitor- does that count?

The other one was COD2 on 360- that game blew me away.

ToD_

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, hooked up to a PC monitor- does that count?

The other one was COD2 on 360- that game blew me away.

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast rendered at 480p using a PC monitor, so I guess it does not count.

Mine was the Lost Planet demo on the 360 (if we're not counting PC games, of course). A friend brought his 360 over to hook up to my cheap Philips HD CRT.

Netto-kun

Tales of Vesperia (PS3). Played the game for 90ish hours before I realized that I didn't buy a HDMI cable.
laugh.gif

Stitch

Gold Member
On Console I think it was Dead Rising. On PC I have no idea. I guess stuff like Quake 3, UT, CS, SOF, GTA,...

Vaati

Banned
Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I got my PS3 around 2 summers ago and until that point I had only owned a Wii. It was amazing seeing what HD consoles were capable of.

-Stranger-

I think it was Forza Motorsport 2 on the 360 around launch.
On my brothers HD TV as i didn't have one at the time.

Good question.

Playing Fable in 480p on my uncle's big screen back in 2004.

If that doesn't count, then I think it was Kameo at the 360 launch.

Kukuk

Banned
When I first bought my PS3, I didn't have any games for it, for the first week or so I just played demos, and the first demo I played was Uncharted. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I had no idea that the OG Xbox could push 720p. That's awesome.

I got a 360 on launch day and played Kameo and was AMAZED. Same with Perfect Dark Zero.

Looking back on Perfect Dark, holy shit euurghh.

On a console that I've owned, none so far (though I've been gaming in "HD" on PC since 2002 or so). Will be whatever Wii U game I decide to play first.

EDIT: Was Black on the Xbox in 720p? I thought I've heard that but I can't find anything at the moment. If it was then that would be the first console HD game I played.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
On 360 launch day, I picked up Madden 06, Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo. The latter two blew me away at the time.

Top Bottom