• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

Lunar15

It's scary how much I agree with this, right down to Haru being deceptively good and the cast technically being better than 4's, but missing that special something that makes them truly eternal.

If I had to guess, it's relatability. Back when P4 came out, it took P3's idea of a slice of life game fused into a dungeon crawler and put it in a context that a lot of people could really relate to "being stuck in a small, boring town". Moreso than 3 or 5, P4's characters really are just kids being kids... except for the times when they're roaming the collective subconscious to save a new friend from murder.

P3 and P5's characters are not really kids being kids. Their objective is higher and takes priority. Hell, in P5, it's directly implied that you're "masquerading as good school kids" while your real self is a scheming thief.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so, but it's a huge tonal shift from 4. Back when 4 came out, there weren't a whole lot of RPG's you could point to where you were literally just normal kids living in a town. That's what drew people to characters like Chie who just seemed totally unusual for the genre.

I also think that P5 has a bit less ego stroking than 4 does. Don't get me wrong: It's still a game that's 100% about ego stroking. But there was something to 4 that just made Yu Narukami always seem like the best person ever (and I love that game for it). P5's MC is kinda weird (and I love him for it).

Chie is anything but unusual, but I agree:

I cannot see them trying to make another dead serious plot like P5 because... well, how do you top taking down the prime minister of your own country?

They have to experiment not with the gameplay -which is pretty unique- but with the plot and settings and the writing.

I'm totally okay with them alternating between a serious game and then a goofy one. A game about society in general, and then a game about people.

PK Gaming

If I had to guess, it's relatability. Back when P4 came out, it took P3's idea of a slice of life game fused into a dungeon crawler and put it in a context that a lot of people could really relate to "being stuck in a small, boring town". Moreso than 3 or 5, P4's characters really are just kids being kids... except for the times when they're roaming the collective subconscious to save a new friend from murder.

P3 and P5's characters are not really kids being kids. Their objective is higher and takes priority. Hell, in P5, it's directly implied that you're "masquerading as good school kids" while your real self is a scheming thief.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so, but it's a huge tonal shift from 4. Back when 4 came out, there weren't a whole lot of RPG's you could point to where you were literally just normal kids living in a town. That's what drew people to characters like Chie who just seemed totally unusual for the genre.

I also think that P5 has a bit less ego stroking than 4 does. Don't get me wrong: It's still a game that's 100% about ego stroking. But there was something to 4 that just made Yu Narukami always seem like the best person ever (and I love that game for it). P5's MC is kinda weird (and I love him for it).

Yeah, I think that's it. The novelty of having these immensely mundane and relatable kids in a video game definitely drew people in. And when you follow that up with loads and loads of fun setpieces, you just have a recipe for a good time. P5 deliberately eschews these moments to tell its story, for better or for worse.

P5 definitely tones down on making the protagonist feel like a super person. It's kind of amusing how Yu's attained this meme level of universal love. Like I've seen even "serious" users on GAF buy into the swagtagonist meme, hahaha.

Lunar15

P4 immediately made me want a sequel. I can't say P5 did the same. However, it actually made me considerably more excited for Project Re:Fantasy.

I really like Hashino and a lot of the team members he surrounds himself with. His games have troublesome elements I could do without, but ultimately, he's pursuing things other games simply don't do.

Willenium

I just finished my first playthrough and I almost started a New Game+ immediately. Cooler heads prevailed and I decided to wait a little bit. Maybe play through Xenoblade or something in the meantime.

What should I try to accomplish in NG+? Is there anything specific to a second playthrough that I should aim for? I know I missed a lot of S Links the first time through...

I just finished my first playthrough and I almost started a New Game+ immediately. Cooler heads prevailed and I decided to wait a little bit. Maybe play through Xenoblade or something in the meantime.

What should I try to accomplish in NG+? Is there anything specific to a second playthrough that I should aim for? I know I missed a lot of S Links the first time through...

There is a boss fight and at least one persona fusion that are only available in NG+, so naturally those. It should also be trivial to finish every confidant with your social stats having carried over.

hohoXD123

Just finished it after 105 hours. What a ride, that Satanael ending with the soundtrack was amazing. If it wasn't for the dreadful pacing in parts with constant unavoidable battles in tight corridors then this would have easily matched P4G, and I hold that up as the best game I've played. Don't think I'll bother with a second playthough, I used a guide for maxing confidants at the start but decided that it was taking the fun out of the game and stopped using it, even without it I ended up with Tower level 9 and everything else maxed, so close.

Also, Akechi's reveal as a baddie could be seen from a mile off. His voice lines in battle sound like things a villain would say.

Mediking

Shiho should've joined the cast.... a shame she didn't.

Cooking up that early P5 is best P5 thread. Some of the best writing I ever seen in a JRPG.

Finished my second playthrough of the game, no NG+ though. I played the localized version this time. But this is the first time I've maxed out all SL in a Persona game, and did it with plenty of time: less than a week after I cleared Shido's Palace.

The last section of the game... originally I thought all those battles against the archangels were pretty tough, but not this time. I destroyed most of those minibosses with Ryuji. Took me 169 hours compared to the 174 hours of the Japanese version. So, almost 350 hours of Persona 5 for me. I'll relax a little before playing another big game.

To commemorate this I'm just going to rank the social links of P3, P4 and P5, because why the fuck not:

Magician:

Morgana>Yosuke>Kenji>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Junpei

All the "bros" of the series. Morgana is the most competent of them, and I liked that Yosuke basically is a hero because he's bored because he moved from the city to a fucking boring town where there's nothing to do. Kenji is not bad for a first attempt; the one I dislike a lot is fucking Junpei Yori and his constant bitching.

High Priestess
"the Priestess Arcana is a symbol of hidden knowledge or other untapped power, wisdom, female mystery and patience when it appears in tarot readings."

Makoto>Fuka>>>>>Yukiko

The quiet and intelligent girl. They all seem a little bit disconnected from their pears. Makoto is probably the most competent one despite having the tendency to go crazy at times. She became the brain behind the PT too and in my opinion took the spotlight in P5. Fuka is okay, but they added that bit about having horrible cooking skills that ruined her, and the worst of all is that they decided to transfer that trait to Yukiko, which is just one of the reasons why I dislike Yukiko as a character, the other things that made Yukiko very unlikable is that she's basically a walking cliche.

Empress

A symbol of motherhood, supposedly.

Mitsuru>>>>Haru>Margaret

Mitsuru is the most fleshed out of these characters, so much that the comparison seems almost unfair. Haru is okay, but she was introduced so late in the game that her story feels so rushed. Margaret clearly feels like an strict mom, but being a Velvet Room attendant makes her kind of awkward (like all VR inhabitants)

Emperor

A symbol of fatherhood. Although I'd say that these characters feel more like a representation of certain traits of a parent.

Yusuke>Hidetoshi>Kanji

These three are difficult to rank. I feel all of them are very close to each other in terms of awkwardness. I disliked Yusuke a lot when the story started but it's incredible how likable they made him to be. The more the story progresses, the better he gets; I guess his jokes are supposed to be dad jokes? For turning an unlikable character into one of the best characters in the series I'll rank him first. I really like what they did with Hidetoshi in P3: he refusing to consider Yuki a "delinquent" because he knows him well is like the most parent-like thing one of these Emperor characters have ever done in the series. And Kanji is okay too, I guess. But I dislike a lot what they did with the characters of Persona 4 so it's difficult for them to rank higher in this list.

Hierophant

"The Hierophant is a symbol of education, authority, conservatism, obedience to rules and relationship with the divine."

Sojiro>Dojima>Bunkichi and Mitsuko

At first I thought Dojima would be the Emperor, but he is the Hierophant... perhaps because he's a police officer and represents the authority. It was pretty interesting what they did with Dojima as a social link and since he's pretty important in the story I liked him more than the old couple in the bookstore. Sojiro seemed like an asshole at first, but in one of the first scenes when he wonders if you forgot your umbrella it became obvious he had a big heart, he even shed a tear for you many times during the story. This guy is great.

Lovers

The official love interest:

Yukari> Rise = Ann

There's no contest here. Yukari is the most "realistic" of them. She complains a lot, she suspects everybody and she worries about you since in her mind they are using you like they are using her. The other two games go for characters that live not so common lives: an idol and a model. Later entries of the Persona games do the same to Yukari: she became an actress, but in P3 she's a more realistic character, and in The Answer it becomes clear she's the official love interest for Yuki.

Chariot

Very impulsive characters, they are supposed to represent victory and self confidence.

Ryuji>Chie>Kazushi>Rio

Ryuji is the winner here, he is the most Phantom Thief of your group in P5. The American version of Ryuji is kind of bad from what I've seen, but he's great in the Japanese version (thanks localization team). In P5 he is the first character that becomes friendly to you, to the point that he prefers to sacrifice himself for your well being despite not having any powers at the time; he left a very strong impression with me. Then you have Chie, and she's fun. Kazushi is okay too, Rio would be better but the problem with Rio is that they introduced the P3 characters that were left out of your social links in her story, and that hurts your interaction with her.

Justice

They supposedly represent justice, objectivity and analysis

Ken>Nanako>Goro>Chihiro

Everybody loves Nanako, including me, but the -at the time- edginess of Ken resonated with me more. His social link in Portable shows another face of the character, which was immediately made him one of my favourite SLs. Goro is okay until right before the end. Chihiro is pretty jealous and well, I had to re-reverse her SL several times. So tha's why I don't like her as much as the others.

Hermit

All of them are kind of shut ins.

"Maya">Futaba>Saori>>>>Fox

The best teacher in the modern Persona games, online she's just a disenchanted teacher that likes to complain about her job. I wonder if I have some kind of bias because of that. I don't like Futaba and Saori that much, tbh, and the fox is just a glorified sidequests giver.

Fortune

The idea of this characters is that they try to oppose their destiny or their imposed role

Ryoji>Naoto>Keisuke>Chihaya

Naoto and Keisuke are the ones that are fighting for the right to become what they want, given her status as a party member, Naoto is more fleshed out than Keisuke. Ryoji, in the other hand is trying to fit in despite being... well, you know what. I liked Ryoji a lot when he's introduced as a support character. Chihaya is very useful...

Strength

This arcana represents self control and creativity

Yuko=Kou>Koromaru>Caroline and Justine

I like Koromaru a lot, but not as a social link. Kou and Yuko in the other hand are pretty interesting. I've never tried the other Strength SL route in P4. Caroline and Justine aren't my favorite Velvet Room attendants.

Hanged Man

Supposedly, the Hanged Man represents self sacrifice. In Persona these characters are often trapped between two extreme life paths.

Mako>Iwai (Sorry, never talked to the P4 dude)

I think Mako's story is more realistic and more relatable, I guess. Iwai's story, while good in it's own merit has a situation at the end that supposedly solve his story but I feel the writing there was not as strong to make it more compelling.

Death

Death represents change.

Pharos>Tae>Hisano Kuroda

Pharos is one of the most important characters in the story of P3, naturally that made his social link more interesting to me. He's kind of creepy. Tae is okay too but at first sight she's kind of creepy as well. I suppose creepiness is a necessary characteristic of this arcana.

Temperance

Temperance represents the merging of two opposites and harmony.

Becky>Eri>Bebe

Another disenchanted teacher gets the first place here. Ironically, she gets into her vulnerable state when someone else uses her passion for teaching to blackmail her. Her "merging of two opposites" thing makes her the target of criticism in the real world too so I guess she represents Temperance too in some sort of meta thingy. Eri and her relationship with his stepson was very refreshing as well... and then we have Bebe... let's not talk about Bebe.

Devil

Supposedly this arcana is kind of fucked up. Its best trait though is commitment (to their work).

Ohya>>>>>>>>>>Sayoko>Tanaka

The only character that has the "fucked up" part toned down is Ohya, she only drinks a lot, while the other two are kind of vicious. Ohya is also one of the most resourceful characters in P5. I always imagine she's the one who found Shido's assistant and helped the group to contact her. I like the evolution of her SL because it talks about "Power Harrasement" (don't look at me like that, the Japanese came out with that term).

Tower

These characters are a little bit self destructive. Their SL is about helping them to get out of their problems.

Mutatsu=Shu=Shinya

This is the only case where I don't have a favorite. All of them are in dangerous positions when you meet them and they fall from grace. Mutatsu was some sort of experiment I guess, since the other two are two kids who'd be able to recover because they are young, while Mutatsu is old and made a lot of mistakes. I really like their stories.

Star
"It's a strong card, one that gives hope to those on the ground below. It shines in times of need. But, eventually, it is destined to fall to the earth and disappear... Even I can feel the sadness of this inescapable destiny..."

Akihiko>Mamoru=Hifumi>Teddie

That was a quote from Margareth. I really like the SL associated to this arcana. They excel in many things and through the interactions with us they show us they are also human and fragile. I don't have a strong preference for one of them. I still can't decide if Teddie should be up there with Mamoru and Hifumi. Akihiko is one of my favourite characters of modern persona games, his SL in P3P showed another face we didn't see in the original game, that's why I rank him over the others.

Moon

The moon represents a lot of good traits: creativity, fantasy, inspiration, but it also associates with madness, illusions and fears. In Persona, the moon SLs are very insecure, they have been taken over by their own fears.

Shinjiro>Yuki>Ai>Nozomi

With the exception of Shinjiro, all these characters are very obsessive. I must have something for self destructive characters because I like this SL a lot. Perhaps it's just the sense of accomplishment that I helped them to overcome their insecurities. Still, the one that stands out the most here is Shinjiro, he's one of the best characters of P3, but he's kind of troubled too.

Sun

The sun is optimism, joy, hope and all those good traits. But these characters are usually trapped in troublesome positions.

Akinari>Ayane>Yoshida (Didn't talk to the other girl in P4)

I really don't have empathy towards politicians so Yoshida is the last here. Akinari is the one that I cared more about and Ayane was pretty interesting. In the end, this social link feels all over the place since all those characters are so different from each other.

Judgement/Aeon (?)

I'm kind of cheating here because Judgement in the other games is represented by the interaction between the whole group, while P3 and P4 have the Aeon arcana in their re-releases (and I don't have a Vita so...).

Sae>Aegis

I don't have much to say here so...

There you have it, my personal rank. It's not a deep analysis either but I just had fun while writing it.

PK Gaming

Ryuji is the winner here, he is the most Phantom Thief of your group in P5. The American version of Ryuji is kind of bad from what I've seen, but he's great in the Japanese version (thanks localization team). In P5 he is the first character that becomes friendly to you, to the point that he prefers to sacrifice himself for your well being despite not having any powers at the time; he left a very strong impression with me. Then you have Chie, and she's fun. Kazushi is okay too, Rio would be better but the problem with Rio is that they introduced the P3 characters that were left out of your social links in her story, and that hurts your interaction with her.

What do you mean? Dialogue? Voice acting?

I find this hard to believe since his actions didn't change between versions.

??? You gotta be joking. What else beats early P5... in P5???

Far too little credit (as far as I see here) is given to how the final act in the mementos depths comes together. It pains me a little to see people lambest it, and usually for being a "random" or "mandated" last minute twist.

Mediking

Far too little credit (as far as I see here) is given to how the final act in the mementos depths comes together. It pains me a little to see people lambest it, and usually for being a "random" or "mandated" last minute twist.

Maybe because some of the Palaces start to drag like crazy in the later half and the writing suffers as well.

Lunar15

I really like the implementation of Mementos depths. It's a little drawn out though. The ending is still, in my opinion, a stronger thematic ending than 4.

The writing in the game is a series of peaks and valleys. The first arc is really strong, but the next two arcs are kind of lame. It peaks again with Futaba, then slides back down during the school trip and morgana's flake-out. The build up to Sae's dungeon is really strong and I think the payoff is worth it, even if it is a bit wordy.

The build up and payoff to Shido just isn't strong enough in comparison to what comes before it, and SURPRISE, this is where most people get really tired of the game. The transition from Shido to Mementos Depths is jarring, mainly because it robs shido's arc of the satisfying climax it deserves.... but I think it makes sense storywise. Everything after that up to the end is actually great... it's just that some wonky dialogue and some padded sections hurt it a bit.

What do you mean? Dialogue? Voice acting?

I find this hard to believe since his actions didn't change between versions.

Both.

Ryuji's voice actor is pretty good and the localization added a lot of "efff that" and "for real?" and added other lines that in the Japanese version don't exist. His actions remain the same, but the dialogue is annoying. Even in the very first arc they added things that Ryuji never says in the Japanese version. And what's even worse is when you play it with the Japanese voices and you hear Ryuji saying one thing but you read other thing, and just to be sure: I'm not talking about different order in a sentence since English and Japanese are very different languages.

Mediking

The Hawaii trip was mostly trash. It's one thing to go on a trip and run through goofy problems but its another to go on a trip and it be a borefest.

Wasted opportunity for the most part.

PK Gaming

Sae: I doubt something as dangerous as your group could've been pulled off with orthodox methods. It wouldn't be odd if you had someone that was proficient in deceiving the eyes of others...

Me: Yeah but, who?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I like it a lot for story reasons but it draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags on forever.

Like boat palace > mementos > mementos depth > endgame is so needlessly padded out for one of the better parts of the game.

Mediking

Oh it drags on forever. And let's not forget how annoying that last section of Mementos was. I was fighting tooth and nail to get to a Safe Room.

And then you had to find those clowns before you approached Y-baddie.

The whole time I was thinking: "Can we go back to the excellent writing of the first half of the game... PLEASE????"

Reset

After finishing this a few weeks ago, I just feel like I didn't really connect to any of the cast outside Makoto, and even her S-Link wasn't extraordinary. Ryuji's S-Link gives him some nice depth after the game is apparently devoted to making him grating in the main story. Haru was introduced way too late with too high a proficiency gate for me to get through her link. Ditto for Futaba. Ann's was fucking awful, jesus. Yusuke's was okay but the guy just comes off as a creep too often and I wasn't a fan of the choice for voice. Morgana was pretty good and I'm glad his plot twist wasn't any of the obvious options.

Speaking of the main casts' S-Links.
I ended up liking Yusuke's, Ryuiji's, and Makoto's. I agree with you with Ann's being pretty bad, it goes downhill as soon as they start focusing on her modeling career. Futaba's was just mediocre, I didn't find it interesting. Hated Morgana's personalty so I ended up not caring for his, and Akechi's was hilarious. And not in a good way lol
Haru... who was that again. Such a rushed character, and her social link is one of the worst in the series. How convenient that everything fell in to place, oh and she barely has any personality. You could have cut her and her dungeon, and the game wouldn't change much.

Supporting cast was far better. The politician, doctor, the fanboy, the kid, and the fortune teller had the better social links, with the politicians being my favorite. From the main cast's I liked Yusuke's and Ryuiji's the most.

Antiwhippy

Oh it drags on forever. And let's not forget how annoying that last section of Mementos was. I was fighting tooth and nail to get to a Safe Room.

And then you had to find those clowns before you approached Y-baddie.

The whole time I was thinking: "Can we go back to the excellent writing of the first half of the game... PLEASE????"

It's not really the writing I have a problem with honestly, because I actually do like the payoff a lot.

Mediking

It's not really the writing I have a problem with honestly, because I actually do like the payoff a lot.

I was struggling pretty hard with the writing at times. I still say that Akechi should've been a good guy. Still hate how Joker has no voiced dialogue when confronting Shido and Akechi. I just wanted more of that excellent Kamoshida arc. It's SOOOOO good. Like when Shiho tried to kill herself, my heart was literally racing.

Mediking

Oh the boat palace.

Yeah I guess kinda.

I was more referring to the finale.

Like when we fight Y-baddie and those Deadly Sins that caused Hunger and stuff?

Then Joker was like, "I had enough"

BOOM.

Now I remember what happens AFTER that... yeah that was great. The car ride to a new life!

Antiwhippy

Yeah that was cool, but I also really like how the whole pay off with the phansite meter, the constant chattering around shibuya, and the way it all ties into mementos. Like I saw it coming a mile away but I appreciate the execution.

Other than the longass dungeons.

Mediking

Yeah that was cool, but I also really like how the whole pay off with the phansite meter, the constant chattering around shibuya, and the way it all ties into mementos. Like I saw it coming a mile away but I appreciate the execution.

Lol I knew Persona 5 was gonna get all SMT-ish at the end due to how P3 and P4 are but I never saw all that coming. I thought and even kinda hoped that defeating Shido would be the end.

Lunar15

Actually, I found those dungeons refreshingly short compared to the rest.

Only small problem I have with the ending is how badly Lavenza explains what happened to Igor. It's almost incomprehensible.

Other than that, I think they're fun dungeons with a rad boss rush.

Curufinwe

I saw Kiki's Delivery Service again for the first time in ages tonight, and when she got to the crappy old attic Where she would live with her taking black cat, it made me smile.

Like boat palace > mementos > mementos depth > endgame is so needlessly padded out for one of the better parts of the game.

Yes, pretty much what I mean when I say it doesn't get enough credit. It's a strong climax that serves as a natural and consistent summary to the overarching narrative of the game, but I see people here lambest it for the various reasons.

You mention that particular sequence of events as dragging out, and I don't want to get into that argument, because it's a whole can of worms; But from a narrative standpoint I feel the progression of events was necessary to properly show how Shido was never the chief problem (personal vendetta aside) and build into the climax of Yalda.

Lunar15

Yes, pretty much what I mean when I say it doesn't get enough credit. It's a strong climax that serves as a natural and consistent summary to the overarching narrative of the game, but I see people here lambest it for the various reasons.

The whole part where shido even goes on TV and confesses but no one cares was so unintentionally real.

Antiwhippy

Only small problem I have with the ending is how badly Lavenza explains what happened to Igor. It's almost incomprehensible.

Even the boat palace?

Even mementos I was just kinda mostly avoiding enemies as much as possible lol.

You mention that particular sequence of events as dragging out, and I don't want to get into that argument again (it's a whole can of worms) but from a narrative standpoint I feel the progression of events was necessary to properly show how Shido was never the chief problem and build into the climax of of Yalda.

Oh I don't mean the story itself, just the dungeons.

If anything wanting to get to the story makes it feel like they dragged on further. :p

Mediking

Lavenza... lmao wow. That blonde girl. Totally forgot who she was.

Igor twist was/is still amazing.

Akechi twist? No. That whole thing would've been better as Demon Igor.

Y-baddie? It was cool to hear that he was behind giving Akechi and Joker their powers.

Mediking

Unpopular opinion around here, but I enjoyed everything about the boat palace, from the mouse puzzles, to the sudden Akechi fight, to Rivers In The Dessert.

?!

The Boat... Palace....

You.... you.... enjoyed how some monsters would respawn after you would open a door or just change hallways?

How fighting for a Safe Room was life or death? Well it was for me. Lol

How it kept going ON and ON and ON and ON and ON...?

How Shido's boss fight turned him into an super buff and vieny guy? It was getting comedic.

Or how about how Joker has no voiced dialogue when confronting the man who caused him to get in trouble? That's really my biggest problem but that's a different thing.

Antiwhippy

I don't think enjoying Rivers in the desert is an unpopular opinion. :p

When I first heard it I thought "OK, I gotta plug in headphones for this"

Lunar15

i don't think it was even slightly unintentional

They were intentionally showing how apathetic people can be about politics after the rush of the moment is over, but Hashino's team could never predict the debacle that is Trump.

For the problems I do have with the writing, God damn did the writers nail the idea of people not giving a shit about corruption as long as it maintains status quo. And the idea of people just riding waves of meaningless activism on social media without actually trying to change things.

That's why I really like the ending with the MC in juvie: people had to do legit activism to get him out. They had to get out there and literally take action. Even for all the daring escapades of the Phantom thieves, they learned that none of that stuff actually changed society at all. It literally had to come from people just doing shit for others.

^Yes, this is a nice summary of some of the stronger elements of the climax.

I don't think enjoying Rivers in the desert is an unpopular opinion. :p

When I first heard it I thought "OK, I gotta plug in headphones for this"

Touché, guess I'm just trying to say that from start to finish of the palace, there wasn't a single point I didn't enjoy it.

?!

The Boat... Palace....

You.... you.... enjoyed how some monsters would respawn after you would open a door or just change hallways?

How fighting for a Safe Room was life or death? Well it was for me. Lol

How it kept going ON and ON and ON and ON and ON...?

How Shido's boss fight turned him into an super buff and vieny guy? It was getting comedic.

Blasphemy, Shido is easily one of the top bosses in persona ever.

Mediking

They were intentionally showing how apathetic people can be about politics after the rush of the moment is over, but Hashino's team could never predict the debacle that is Trump.

For the problems I do have with the writing, God damn did the writers nail the idea of people not giving a shit about corruption as long as it maintains status quo. And the idea of people just riding waves of meaningless activism on social media without actually trying to change things.

That's why I really like the ending with the MC in juvie: people had to do legit activism to get him out. They had to get out there and literally take action. Even for all the daring escapades of the Phantom thieves, they learned that none of that stuff actually changed society at all. It literally had to come from people just doing shit for others.

Yeah... but putting it in Sae's and the rest of the group's hands to save Joker was about as tense as when party members send texts of "DO YOU THINK HE WILL HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART? I MEAN LIKE... WE'VE DONE IT ABOUT 3 TIMES NOW BUT WILL HIS HEART CHANGE?!"

I get the point but I wasn't scared for Joker at all.

Yeah... but putting it in Sae's and the rest of the group's hands to save Joker was about as tense as when party members send texts of "DO YOU THINK HE WILL HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART? I MEAN LIKE... WE'VE DONE IT ABOUT 3 TIMES NOW BUT WILL HIS HEART CHANGE?!"

Why do people keep perpetuating this meme nonsense? I get that maybe you find the chats repetitive, but past palace 2 or 3 the chats are contextual to the situation.

Mediking

Why do people keep perpetuating this meme nonsense? I get that maybe you find the chats repetitive, but past palace 2 or 3 the chats are contextual to the situation.

Changed Kamoshida's heart. Tension was high. Writing was at its best. Who knows how that clown will react in the real world? Ryuji and Ann sending texts adding suspense because they seriously do care about what influence Kamoshida has.

Changed that old guy who was stealing art from Yusuke. Writing Slowly going downhill. Getting texts about saving him.

Changed Kaneshiro's heart. The pics! We can't have them sharing pics of Makoto!

Changed Haru's daddy heart. As we walk away, Akechi kills him. DID WE CHANGE HIS HEART THOUGH?

Changed Shido's heart. DID WE CHANGE HIS HEART THOUGH?

I love the texting system in the game. I just thought it was kinda unnecessary that the cast would freak out after changing their heart even though everytime nothing bad happened. I know it's still necessary for the cast but for me... I kept choosing, "It's gonna be fine." And the cast would be like, "WOW! JOKER IS SO CONFIDENT! HE'S MY LEADER!" Lol

Lunar15

The point wasn't to be afraid for him. The point was to show normal people doing normal things to help a good person beat a bad system.

Mediking

The point wasn't to be afraid for him. The point was to show normal people doing normal things to help a good person beat a bad system.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... I see.

But it still all a game though, right? Like as soon as Joker won... he was fine.

I could've swore Sae said something mysterious because she didn't know Joker had won the game.

PK Gaming

Question 3: What were the topics that were the most interesting to you in 2016, and why?

Mr. Trump being elected. I have been paying attention to populism for a long time and dealing with “Persona 5,” so Mr Trump’s election made me think “As I expected.” It was an impressive event that represents the turning point of the world.

Hehe!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... I see.

But it still all a game though, right? Like as soon as Joker won... he was fine.

I could've swore Sae said something mysterious because she didn't know Joker had won the game.
The risk in the background was that he would take the fall for the Phantom Theives activities at the same time as bringing down Shido by testifying against him.

Of course as Lunar said we weren't really supposed to feel nervous that Joker was going to get stuck in jail, instead we are treated to the culmination of the games themes and the finale of the effects of the bonding system. This was something I absolutely adored, the montage of the confidants was such a great capstone to the "bonds" theme that persona has been running with for a while, except its not at all in your face "I fight for my friends" anime trope.

Top Bottom