• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are people saying Merry Christmas again???

I know trump talks a lot of shit, and he was right about people not saying it for awhile. Now I feel like everyone is...who on earth wold get offended by s greeting anyway?

I've always said it, it doesnt really mean anything nowadays...at least in Australia it hasnt for awhile in my experience.

Never actually met anyone who corrected or was offended by my saying it.

caffeware

Banned
Who gets offended? People who are not Christians is my guess.

"Happy holidays" was the political correct version. Trump is anti.

Is stupid either way.

When you sneeze and someone says "God bless", you shouldn't get mad even if you are an atheist.

You can't please all people all the time.

Ke0

Do Americans not know you have no official religion? Not even sure why they're so angry over Christmas of all things. The holiday isn't even Christian lol.

HH-tweet4.jpg

2F975DE600000578-0-image-a-9_1450908888146.jpg

Futaleufu

Do Americans not know you have no official religion? Not even sure why they're so angry over Christmas of all things. The holiday isn't even Christian lol.

This. It's the closest thing to an universal thanksgiving. Every year that passes the christian aspect of it gets pushed back further.

Dunki

I think it has something to do with losing something they had known for such a long time. Honestly I do not like it when they try to rename Christmas markets here in Germany as well.

I think it is great that Germany has now over 25% of non Germans living here however I do not think we should EVER try to change our country so that people from other countries feel more welcome here. If you want to live in a country fine you are welcome but do not try to change this country so it fits you believes better. Another example would be that we have no certain places which feature women only pool times because of the high rate of Muslims.
And I really do not like this at all...

Honestly I applaud Asian countries for not giving a fuck. I wish my country would do the same.

I have to be honest. I've never seen anyone get offended for saying merry Christmas.

I feel like I've heard less merry Christmas this year so far.

Most people aren't celebrating Christmas religiously so I don't get it. If you live in a Country where Christmas is a major event(even if it's retail) just deal with it. I'm not religious but we do Christmas as a family thing like most people here in Canada seem to do.

If I see a Muslim women in full garb I don't care(just an example). Doesn't hurt me any.

Dude Abides

Banned
People never stopped saying merry Christmas. The war on Christmas was idiotic bullshit that was swallowed up by stupid morons (I.e. Trump people).

Drake

I'll really only say Merry Christmas to people who I know are Christian/celebrate Christmas. If I know you're not I just won't say anything.

I never say Happy Holidays.

No one fucking stopped saying Merry Christmas. People just convinced themselves that that was what happened, and now people say it just to be vindictive, as though they're making some special point or someshit.

Christianity is as fragile as whiteness, it seems. smdh.

People hate it when you say Merry Christmas, people hate it when you say Happy Holidays. I had no idea the saying Happy Holidays is some politically correct thing. The saying has been around long before there was any controversy. Last year people gave me shit for saying Happy Holidays because America is Christian. ?

Dude Abides

Banned
How many of your bussiness partners send you merry christmas cards and how many send you happy holidays ?

It would never occur to me to count. Happy Holidays makes more sense on a business card since it covers New Year’s (something that apparently never occurred to the Christmas snow flakes).

My theory is that a few people got upset about it and then the media ran with it as a story for clicks ("TWITTER IS EXPLODING IN OUTRAGE AT THE NEW STARBUCKS CUP DESIGN")

I agree that it would be ridiculous to get angry about something like that. But I also don't know a single person like that. Meanwhile I know dozens of people who bring it up and say "Man people will get offended at anything these days eh!"

The backlash was disproportionately huge

kunonabi

Ive always used merry Christmas and nobody ever gives me crap about it. Of course, i dont really hang with the types of people that would all that much.

Airola

It would never occur to me to count. Happy Holidays makes more sense on a business card since it covers New Year’s (something that apparently never occurred to the Christmas snow flakes).

You know you can write "Merry Christmas and a happy New Year" too, right?

Mohonky

Most people where I live in Aus usually say have a great xmas and new years, even at the shops or in an office setting.

Catphish

If you really wanna get to the center of it, anyone who doesn't say "Happy Solstice" (or at least recognize that as the true "reason for the season") has their head up their ass.

enoki

I've worked retail in big cities for a long time... and people never stopped, or slowed down, saying Merry Christmas. This is such a horseshit claim.

aerts1js

Yeah, people were upset about it for a year or two and then kinda got over it. Pretty sure it was people just wanting to be angry / offended at something.

aphasias

Not being religious and not particularly enjoying Christmas myself, I always found the people who complained about the "Merry Christmas" greeting to be overly sensitive even if I could sympathize with the sense of alienation they may feel if they proudly practice a different religion from Christianity. That is until people started using "Happy Holidays" and Christians (or at least media outlets pandering to Christian groups) started acting like they were under attack because their religious dominance wasn't being exercised. Truly pathetic.

Dunki

No one stopped saying it. The War on Christmas is stupid bullshit made up for morons.

I do not think it is a war on christmas but it is removing or censoring relegious words in favor of being more inclusive. And that is the wrong part. renaming markets, not using it in adds etc.

But yes it is not a war on christmas it is being stupid.

Joe T.

Was there ever more to this "war on Christmas" than Starbucks changing the messaging on their coffee cups?

Top Bottom