• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are people saying Merry Christmas again???

Dunki

Yes, society as a whole is less religious, because following a religion no longer makes sense to most reasonable people. The same reasonable people also have no reason to hate on people who choose to believe in their fantasy of choice, so they don't show preference to one over another and try to be more inclusive. Not really that hard to understand how we got here. It's nothing to rage against, either.

I do not think this is true. It is just that religion is shifting in the world. Example again Germany since I can talk the most about it since I live there. We know have more mosques in Germany than we have churches.

And I think it is not a good think to change something so other people would feel more welcome. They came to this country for a reason and that was not to change how he live, what our morals are etc. If they were they should not live in that country at all.

RefigeKru

Banned
There's nothing to discuss with people like you and "dude". I also like how you conveniently ignore any insults the poster I'm quoting levied at others. Only insults tossed at those you agree with matter right? I'm shocked.

Lol, you're sad. Fair weather liberalism at its finest. Feelings over facts, a pathetic state of politics.

Can't even acknowledge America has changed over the years lmao.

Like I've said from the go, you can acknowledge that Christmas has stepped away from Christianity over the years in america, while not pandering to something such as your link.

I don't see why you, and the above posters I quoted do not understand that. Its almost like you're pulling something out of trump a play book. Ignore facts, beat your chest. Insult the other to get your point across. I don't see why it matters so much to you posters that Christmas hasn't changed at all.

Oh I see. Reset was down, now its back up. Just the dredge [still] posing as decency coming back to shit up the place. ✌✌✌

It has nothing to do with Bill O'Reilly or any republican talk show personality.

lol calm down, I was merely contesting that part of your post.

If it makes you feel better I don't have an account at the other forum.

Dude Abides

Banned
Lol, you're sad. Fair weather liberalism at its finest. Feelings over facts, a pathetic state of politics.

Can't even acknowledge America has changed over the years lmao.

Like I've said from the go, you can acknowledge that Christmas has stepped away from Christianity over the years in america, while not pandering to something such as your link.

I don't see why you, and the above posters I quoted do not understand that. Its almost like you're pulling something out of trump a play book. Ignore facts, beat your chest. Insult the other to get your point across. I don't see why it matters so much to you posters that Christmas hasn't changed at all.

Oh I see. Reset was down, now its back up. Just the dredge [still] posing as decency coming back to shit up the place. ✌✌✌

Blah blah blah talking loud, saying nothing. Saying your Derpy O’Reilly opinion over and over doesn’t make it a fact, hard charger.

avery-jessup.png

Steven Universe

Neo Member
Only those who actively look for ways to be offended could possibly get upset about this...

I agree. People on this site in the past seemed to be offended by everything just so they could be outraged. Still seems to be that way even though most people migrated.

Gaf...Gaf never changes

BANGS

Banned
yup, just look at the silly post before yours lol it's insane what mental gymnastics people will perform just to feign outrage...

PJV3

I agree. People on this site in the past seemed to be offended by everything just so they could be outraged. Still seems to be that way even though most people migrated.

Gaf...Gaf never changes

Get rid of the war on Christmas argument and I don't think anyone really cares what people say or want to call this time of year.

I'm pretty left on most issues and still say merry Christmas and call the guy in the red suit Father Christmas, it's an imaginary war caused mostly by marketing.

Acerac

Banned
Gaf...Gaf never changes

=o
Land of the free?

Oh, I was just lying to show how unsourced statements are worthless. It didn't seem that he caught on though.

There's nothing to discuss with people like you and "dude". I also like how you conveniently ignore any insults the poster I'm quoting levied at others. Only insults tossed at those you agree with matter right? I'm shocked.

Not gonna disagree, when it comes to people like yourself I'm not gonna attempt any sort of serious discourse.

Your type isn't worth it.

krazen

Ahh the foxnews argument where they pull some random far left nutso complaining about xmas, or better yet a brand switching it up to "Happy Holidays" to get the Hannukah dollar portrayed as the neo-crusades. Meanwhile, the evangelical movement im the US does its best to stamp out other religions/other branches of Christianity that doesnt measure up.

Steven Universe

Neo Member

=o

I didn’t know Gaf was a private forum!

Today, 02:00 PM, Post #114

:O oh em gee! What?! Very suspicious you posted this at 2:00pm!

Get rid of the war on Christmas argument and I don't think anyone really cares what people say or want to call this time of year.

I'm pretty left on most issues and still say merry Christmas and call the guy in the red suit Father Christmas, it's an imaginary war caused mostly by marketing.

I’m not a crusader for “The War on Christmas”. I just say whatever I want, but it was a noticeable thing when it was happening. This wasn’t something recent with the Trump administration. This was back when I was in middle school during the mid-2000s. I remember schools discouraging it, tv shows making parodies; social commentaries, and stories of stores changing rules and what not.

ThisGuy

Not gonna disagree, when it comes to people like yourself I'm not gonna attempt any sort of serious discourse.

Your type isn't worth it.
You have nothing serious to say anyways, why lie again? Lmao, people like you are a joke.

Bolivar687

Banned
Not where I live. I'm in a coastal city and most Christians I know are scared to death of uttering the adjective "merry," let alone followed by the C-word. Even when we're alone with eachother, we're too shook to even think about it, for fear someone might be listening in to our conversations.

Not where I live. I'm in a coastal city and most Christians I know are scared to death of uttering the adjective "merry," let alone followed by the C-word. Even when we're alone with eachother, we're too shook to even think about it, for fear someone might be listening in to our conversations.

LA?

gcwy

Banned
I'm not Christian but I've always heard Merry Christmas and always say Merry Christmas, and I don't think that's going to change. I don't know why anyone would get bothered by this, or even saying Happy Holidays.

Sakura

I'm not Christian and neither is my family but we have always said Merry Christmas and celebrated Christmas. I don't really understand why anybody would be offended.

I'm not Christian and neither is my family but we have always said Merry Christmas and celebrated Christmas. I don't really understand why anybody would be offended.

Nobody ever did get offended. It's a bunch of made up right-wing Trumper bullshit that you can hear on Fox News.

The whole "I don't understand why anybody would be offended" statement is the most effective propaganda method that is keeping this dumb lie up. Saying that implies that someone is getting offended by "merry christmas" when nobody actually is. It's how right-wingers plant lies on people's minds.

xStoyax

Banned
Nobody ever did get offended. It's a bunch of made up right-wing Trumper bullshit that you can hear on Fox News.

The whole "I don't understand why anybody would be offended" statement is the most effective propaganda method that is keeping this dumb lie up. Saying that implies that someone is getting offended by "merry christmas" when nobody actually is. It's how right-wingers plant lies on people's minds.

mmmhmmmm

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/abby-ferber/please-dont-wish-me-a-mer_b_389824.html

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Some of us never stopped saying it, although I did not say it this year, and will not while that bitch is in the White House.

#resist

DryvBy

That's not true. I lived in California during the Bush era and there were tons of people offended over Christmas and pushing for "holiday tree" and not wanting government workers to display anything Jesus at their desk because of church and state. It was the fad of the moment then and just lingered after.

I don't care one bit about Christmas so I really don't care about the war. But let's not be disingenuous about it. People were absolutely offended and that's not even crazy anymore. People are much more offended by even dumber stuff today.

Here's ABC reporting on it not that long ago. https://youtu.be/Yo0uVgc0y78

Did you already forget or is it that "we never thought that, it's always been the opposite" 1984 mentality so many people have adopted?

PJV3

Yeah, I think people calling it one thing or the other doesn't matter much to me, the winter festival evolves, and people will call it whatever is acceptable.

I still don't see it as a serious issue for most people, eat, drink and be merry.

base

Banned
It should be 'Merry Christmas' because so far it's our own tradition. I don't care if anyone's offended. If someone's a Muslim he has to accept it because I don't criticize Ramadan.

Yeah, I think people calling it one thing or the other doesn't matter much to me, the winter festival evolves, and people will call it whatever is acceptable.

I still don't see it as a serious issue for most people, eat, drink and be merry.

It’s acceptable to call it Merry Christmas.

I love how some people in this thread go "omg who even IS offended by this lol old gaf triggered by everything as usual" and the rest are like "actually that was never an issue and no one has a problem with the phrase."

Zizbuka

Banned
I always figured it was just one of those things the media gets behind, trying to make it a big deal, but the people are just 'business as usual'.

Guess we'll never go back to the days when the media reported the news.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's not true. I lived in California during the Bush era and there were tons of people offended over Christmas and pushing for "holiday tree" and not wanting government workers to display anything Jesus at their desk because of church and state. It was the fad of the moment then and just lingered after.

I don't care one bit about Christmas so I really don't care about the war. But let's not be disingenuous about it. People were absolutely offended and that's not even crazy anymore. People are much more offended by even dumber stuff today.

Here's ABC reporting on it not that long ago. https://youtu.be/Yo0uVgc0y78

Did you already forget or is it that "we never thought that, it's always been the opposite" 1984 mentality so many people have adopted?

And those people probably made up 15% of the country. So you get mad at people that don't want to say Merry Christmas now?

If you said Happy Holidays in the UK you'd be attacked and rightly so.

Merry Christmas.

This is even worst than getting mad at the Merry Christmas haters. So now you get mad at other people for saying an even blander greeting than Merry Christmas? Some people are just weird.

And those people probably made up 15% of the country. So you get mad at people that don't want to say Merry Christmas now?

This is even worst than getting mad at the Merry Christmas haters. So now you get mad at other people for saying an even blander greeting than Merry Christmas? Some people are just weird.

Yeah basically people here get triggered at people not saying merry christmas while the latter is not even a thing ... so they're getting triggered over absolutely nothing.

Apparently 'happy holidays' won't cut it, everyone *has* to say merry christmas or else they'll throw a hissy fit. Reminds me of the loons who think christianity is being persecuted on a global scale.

pj

Banned
I hate to admit it but people were right about who stayed behind here.

Low effort trump trolls here are a million times worse than overbearing nanny liberalism at other forum.

I miss the fun apolitical chaos of early 2000s gaf. This trash ain't it.

TheContact

whatever i'm jewish and I get the "merry christmas" greeting all the time. I smile and say merry christmas back. who gives a fuck, it's a polite thing to say either way. i don't care if they assume my religion\
trump is an orange piece of shit trying to reflame the "war on christmas" bullshit. christmas isn't going anywhere fuckers and HEY america ISN'T A CHRISTIAN NATION

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Top Bottom