• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are people saying Merry Christmas again???

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Christmas is as much a secular and commercial holiday as it is a religious one. Non-Christians celebrate it. Same with Halloween. If you aren't Christian and get offended by it, please unwad your knickers. The vast majority of western countries are predominately Christian, and Christmas is the default winter solstice celebration.

I'm an Athiest but still celebrate it. Christmas is about Santa Claus, family, and hanging lights, eating a nice meal, and watching stupid Christmas movies. Jesus has no part of it.

black_13

Banned
I'm glad. I don't even celebrate it yet I feel non Christians get blamed for this ever being an issue when most of them don't care.

squall211

When someone says "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Kwanza", they are just wishing you well. You have to be a pretty miserable person to get offended over someone wishing you well.

When someone says "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Kwanza", they are just wishing you well. You have to be a pretty miserable person to get offended over someone wishing you well.

I mean yeah, most people mean to wish you well. I never really had a problem with "merry christmas," ... right up until the point where its use became a means of asserting Christian ownership of the cultural commons for enough people for it to be concerning. (I'm not talking about anyone in this thread, or at least I'm pretty sure no one here meets that description).

So, yeah, when a random cashier wishes me Merry Christmas, they're wishing me well. When Ann Coulter does it, she is not wishing me well, she very much intends to marginalize my religious tradition, and spit on the notion that any kind of accommodation for non-Christian religions is a good thing.

And I think people who are pretty live and let live about this sort of thing don't really get how the phrase can be used maliciously and with ill intent.

PJV3

It doesn't matter and it goes against the spirit of the season, it's a time to be nice, not an angry right wing cunt.

Ubername

Banned
I mean yeah, most people mean to wish you well. I never really had a problem with "merry christmas," ... right up until the point where its use became a means of asserting Christian ownership of the cultural commons for enough people for it to be concerning. (I'm not talking about anyone in this thread, or at least I'm pretty sure no one here meets that description).

Just because some antagonistic bitch on a news network says it doesn't mean that's the meaning the word has taken on.

ThisGuy

No one fucking stopped saying Merry Christmas.

Yes they did. I'm assuming you're very young if you believe there hasn't been a change.

There's been major changes in the way Christmas is celebrated. As a poster previously mentioned the religious aspects of Christmas are changing with every year as well.

Dude Abides

Banned
Yes they did. I'm assuming you're very young if you believe there hasn't been a change.

There's been major changes in the way Christmas is celebrated. As a poster previously mentioned the religious aspects of Christmas are changing with every year as well.

No they didn’t. I’m assuming you’re very gullible if you think there was a change.

When did they stop?

Never. Bill O’Reilly convinced some of the country’s dimmer bulbs that this was a thing.

XAL

I know trump talks a lot of shit, and he was right about people not saying it for awhile.

What the fuck are you talking about?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...happy-holidays-claim-bring-back-a8085731.html

I haven't noticed people saying Merry Christmas less when the President was black.

I think it's just because conservative media didn't/doesn't have anything valuable to say, so they made up this "war on christmas" thing that was never an actual thing - and boy did they have a boner for telling people that it was a big deal.

Gold_Loot

What the fuck are you talking about?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...happy-holidays-claim-bring-back-a8085731.html

I haven't noticed people saying Merry Christmas less when the President was black.

I think it's just because conservative media didn't/doesn't have anything valuable to say, so they made up this "war on christmas" thing that was never an actual thing - and boy did they have a boner for telling people that it was a big deal.
Eh , there was a time when people were complaining about nativity displays out in public places. , yes, that includes churches as well.
That’s when it all started

Typical

Banned
There never was, it’s a fake or latched onto outrage at people being outraged. Something the right or alt right have manufactured so they can rally behind a common fake cause.

Heath V

There never was, it’s a fake or latched onto outrage at people being outraged. Something the right or alt right have manufactured so they can rally behind a common fake cause.

There was never an issue? Is that why people at Walmart we're getting fired for saying Merry Christmas?

G-Bus

Banned
I still hear it. Who cares.

What really bothers me is if I say "happy holidays" and someone corrects me with "it's merry Christmas not happy holidays!"

Clockwork5

Most people aren't celebrating Christmas religiously so I don't get it. If you live in a Country where Christmas is a major event(even if it's retail) just deal with it. I'm not religious but we do Christmas as a family thing like most people here in Canada seem to do.

If I see a Muslim women in full garb I don't care(just an example). Doesn't hurt me any.
Well most Canadians and Americans are, in fact celebrating Christmas religiously.

Acerac

Banned
The worker that I spoke to last year, she wasn't the only one either. I was disgusted when I heard that! I heard from multiple employees that it was against company policy to tell anybody Merry Christmas.

Got a source for that?

Alternate answer: The manager I talked to at Walmart was told that their employees get fired if they don't say Merry Christmas. Pretty sure the manager knows more than those peeps you talked to.

Heath V

Alternate answer: The manager I talked to at Walmart was told that their employees get fired if they don't say Merry Christmas. Pretty sure the manager knows more than those peeps you talked to.

This was last year, perhaps a policy change since then? I did notice that this year they have been saying Merry Christmas which actually surprised me.

Steven Universe

Neo Member
People who say this wasn’t a thing, have no idea what they’re talking about. Also yes, I have noticed people have said it more this year but I say “Merry Christmas and happy holidays!”

In America, at least, there was a period of time where people were getting scolded/fired/whatever, or being discouraged, for saying Merry Christmas. I remember when it was going on so many tv shows had plots in them that were social commentary on the issue at hand. The ‘War on Christmas’ was, and might still be, a real thing.

Acerac

Banned
This was last year, perhaps a policy change since then? I did notice that this year they have been saying Merry Christmas which actually surprised me.
Well the manager I talked to assured me that no policy has ever been in place, so I'm kinda guessing those people were just fucking with you.

Heath V

Well the manager I talked to assured me that no policy has ever been in place, so I'm kinda guessing those people were just fucking with you.

No I don't believe that, not calling who you spoke to a liar but I'm saying I don't believe the people that told me that were messing with me.

Perhaps it was a local policy or something because I had spoke to multiple people that said they were not allowed to say it. My wife heard it too and we were kind of in shock.

sleepnaught

I worked at Wal Mart from 2010-2014 and it absolutely was not against company policy to say Merry Christmas. Every cashier I knew was saying it however they wished and no one cared whether they got a Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. Only snowflake little bitches with a false sense of victimization are outraged at the fake "War on Christmas". And yes, Barack Obama said Merry Christmas every year from the White House, despite what Trump nut huggers will have everyone believe

ThisGuy

No they didn’t. I’m assuming you’re very gullible if you think there was a change.

Never. Bill O’Reilly convinced some of the country’s dimmer bulbs that this was a thing.
Not true remotely. You're spreading lies to what end? Why exactly are you lying? It has nothing to do with Bill O'Reilly or any republican talk show personality.

The reality is there has been a change. How can you say that there hasn't been a step away from Christianity in Christmas in current times?

I remember working retail years ago as a teenager seeing and being encouraged to say happy holidays as a greeting. Let alone changes in things such as ads in news papers/television.

Lol, you're lying for what reason? It isn't even a big a deal. Things change, usually for the better.

Its really strange to see people denying the obvious as if its a big deal in any way shape or form.

I should add, I have never seen or heard of anyone getting fired for saying merry Christmas.

Dude Abides

Banned
People who say this wasn’t a thing, have no idea what they’re talking about. Also yes, I have noticed people have said it more this year but I say “Merry Christmas and happy holidays!”

In America, at least, there was a period of time where people were getting scolded/fired/whatever, or being discouraged, for saying Merry Christmas. I remember when it was going on so many tv shows had plots in them that were social commentary on the issue at hand. The ‘War on Christmas’ was, and might still be, a real thing.

Nah, actually you’re just full of shit.

Not true remotely. You're spreading lies to what end? Why exactly are you lying? It has nothing to do with Bill O'Reilly or any republican talk show personality.

The reality is there has been a change. How can you say that there hasn't been a step away from Christianity in Christmas in current times.

Because I’m not a gullible rube parroting dumb culture war bullshit?

Steven Universe

Neo Member
Nah, actually you’re just full of shit.

If you say so, I guess I am. ( ᵒ̴̶̷̥́ _ᵒ̴̶̷̣̥̀ )
Dude Abides has spoken everyone!

Edit: Also, no I really just don’t see how to respond to someone with an attitude like that.

ThisGuy

Because I’m not a gullible rube parroting dumb culture war bullshit?
It has nothing to do with culture war. You are dumb, there's no doubt about that, "dude".

Its just a change. You can acknowledge a change in society and not buy into something like the 'bill o reilly' factor. Or is that an impossibility for someone like you? Fucking idiot lol.

numble

Well most Canadians and Americans are, in fact celebrating Christmas religiously.

Polls say that your claim is up for debate:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/christmas-without-religion_us_5a3299b3e4b0bb42ac170ca9

Pew found that 46 percent of adults surveyed this year said they see Christmas as more of a religious holiday than a cultural holiday, down from 51 percent in 2013. Most Millennials who celebrate Christmas think of it more as a cultural holiday than a religious one (44 percent, compared with 32 percent).

Dude Abides

Banned
It has nothing to do with culture war. You are dumb, there's no doubt about that, "dude".

Its just a change. You can acknowledge a change in society and not buy into something like the 'bill o reilly' factor. Or is that an impossibility for someone like you? Fucking idiot lol.

You seem awful angry, Christmas Warrior. Try not to let your identity get so tied up in stupid culture war bullshit.

ThisGuy

You seem awful angry, Christmas Warrior. Try not to have your identity so tied up in stupid culture war bullshit.

Who said anything about my identity being wrapped up? Pointing out something that is true has nothing to do with that. The only people talking about culture wars are you and billy bill bill. I wonder why you're so caught up in that?

"dude" lmao

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because I'm not a gullible rube parroting dumb culture war bullshit?

Popped in on a whim since RE is down at the moment and it seems like, as this thread is effectively demonstrating, gullible rubes parroting dumb culture war bullshit seem to rule the day around these parts now. Anyone believing nonsense about people getting fired for saying Merry Christmas in America or that there was ever any kind war on Christmas is a sad InfoWars-loving crazy person.

ThisGuy

Popped in on a whim since RE is down at the moment and it seems like, as this thread is effectively demonstrating, gullible rubes parroting dumb culture war bullshit seem to rule the day around these parts now. Anyone believing nonsense about people getting fired for saying Merry Christmas in America or that there was ever any kind war on Christmas is a sad InfoWars-loving crazy person.
You two are so divided in politics, you can't even acknowledge the obvious. Its not even about a war on Christmas to acknowledge that society has stepped away from the religious aspects of Christmas in some ways.

You two are crazy, and probably a drag to be around.

Gold_Loot

https://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/walmart.asp
Edit, fixed link

Dude Abides

Banned
You two are so divided in politics, you can't even acknowledge the obvious. Its not even about a war on Christmas to acknowledge that society has stepped away from the religious aspects of Christmas in some ways.

I imagine a bore who drones on repeating made up nonsense about how “Christmas just ain’t what it used to be, you cain’t even say merry Christmas no more” is more of a drag to be around.

ThisGuy

I imagine a bore who drones on repeating made up nonsense about how “Christmas just ain’t what it used to be, you cain’t even say merry Christmas no more” is more of a drag to be around.

You lack reading comprehension skills.
Lmao, or you're fucking with me. As I never stated that, or claimed the 'war on Christmas' is true.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Read our own link, maybe? Wal-Mart "encouraged" employees to say "Happy Holidays" to be more inclusive of other holidays. No one got fucking fired for saying Merry Christmas. This also happened back in 2005 during the era of the Evangelical Right and George fucking Bush. The black president did not take away anyone's Christmas.

Yes, society as a whole is less religious, because following a religion no longer makes sense to most reasonable people. The same reasonable people also have no reason to hate on people who choose to believe in their fantasy of choice, so they don't show preference to one over another and try to be more inclusive. Not really that hard to understand how we got here. It's nothing to rage against, either.

ThisGuy

Yes, society as a whole is less religious, because following a religion no longer makes sense to most reasonable people. The same reasonable people also have no reason to hate on people who choose to believe in their fantasy of choice, so they don't show preference to one over another and try to be more inclusive. Not really that hard to understand how we got here. It's nothing to rage against, either.

Tell that to your "dude" who asserts nothing's changed.👌

Like I posted earlier, things usually change for the better.

RefigeKru

Banned

The reality is there has been a change. How can you say that there hasn't been a step away from Christianity in Christmas in current times?

I remember working retail years ago as a teenager seeing and being encouraged to say happy holidays as a greeting. Let alone changes in things such as ads in news papers/television.

Lol, you're lying for what reason? It isn't even a big a deal. Things change, usually for the better.

Its really strange to see people denying the obvious as if its a big deal in any way shape or form.

I should add, I have never seen or heard of anyone getting fired for saying merry Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToLdVCb1ezI

Best thing about this link? Leads to more crazy shit straight from O'Reilly.

Acerac

Banned

Evilore's Neogaf, everyone.

Glad all the jerks left and only the people who discuss things rationally remain.

ThisGuy

Evilore's Neogaf, everyone.

Glad all the jerks left and only the people who discuss things rationally remain.

There's nothing to discuss with people like you and "dude". I also like how you conveniently ignore any insults the poster I'm quoting levied at others. Only insults tossed at those you agree with matter right? I'm shocked.

When did the war on christmas start, Bill?
Lol, you're sad. Fair weather liberalism at its finest. Feelings over facts, a pathetic state of politics.

Can't even acknowledge America has changed over the years lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToLdVCb1ezI

Best thing about this link? Leads to more crazy shit straight from O'Reilly.

Like I've said from the go, you can acknowledge that Christmas has stepped away from Christianity over the years in america, while not pandering to something such as your link.

I don't see why you, and the above posters I quoted do not understand that. Its almost like you're pulling something out of trump a play book. Ignore facts, beat your chest. Insult the other to get your point across. I don't see why it matters so much to you posters that Christmas hasn't changed at all.

Oh I see. Reset was down, now its back up. Just the dredge [still] posing as decency coming back to shit up the place. ✌✌✌

Gold_Loot

Read our own link, maybe? Wal-Mart "encouraged" employees to say "Happy Holidays" to be more inclusive of other holidays. No one got fucking fired for saying Merry Christmas. This also happened back in 2005 during the era of the Evangelical Right and George fucking Bush. The black president did not take away anyone's Christmas.

Uh, yeah? It was a company wide policy. And you know what happens when you break company policy right?

. ... I’ll give you some time to think about it.

Top Bottom