• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We've got no plans for PS Vita Monster Hunter at the moment"

Nintendo games hardly appeal to the demographic that Vita is targeting.

Who? Sony fans? Well..Sony will have to try harder.

Preventing MH fans from getting it on Vita and being able to skip a 3DS really.

You kind of missed the point, Nintendo don't need to fight as capcom know where the monhun money is now

Quite a few people thought the Vita had an advantage when both it and the 3DS were priced at $250.

Yeah, I remember those threads from 2011. By and large, those people were taking it purely on faith that Sony had already secured major Japanese third-party support that merely had yet to be announced, and/or that Uncharted/AC/COD would be huge system-sellers in the West. There was never any point at which Vita's announced software lineup made such an outcome plausible.

DaBoss

I don't know if the rumor is true, but if it is, they have their reasons. MH had already jumped to the 3DS before MHP3HD was released.

That rumor only applied to portable MH games and wouldn't have stopped them from releasing a game in the west. MHP3rd didn't come to the west because the PSP was dead. :(

MHP3rd HD didn't come here because of this:
Sven said:
They have to make exceptions to approve this sort of project in the West: one that runs on PS3 but doesn't have trophies or make use of regular PSN for online play... it uses a modification of adhoc party which doesn't exist in the West.

In short, it requires them to localize and launch SCEJ network services (which is development work and QA/localization and support on their side) that don't currently exist in either territory and a release it from the usual platform requirements for trophies, etc. It's not trivial on Sony's part.

And we won't start the localization process until we know we can bring it out here (as much as I know you guys want it). I know MH fans are frustrated. Trust me, I want to bring more MH games out here too... and games will come, it's just going to take time.
Source: Capcom-Unity

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
How did Monster Hunter become so ridiculously big in Japan anyway?

It seems more prevalent than even Call of Duty is in the West.

Funnily enough, Monster Hunter took off in Japan for the same reason Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare took off.

The Multi-player.

The difference is one of type. We Americans can't stand being in the same room as the people we're playing with/against, so we want the Online features that Consoles/PCs provide. Japanese gamers prefer to be in the same room as the people they're playing with, so local multi-player handheld devices are much preferred.

Ty4on

Software sells hardware.

This isn't hard to grasp. Nintendo has the most popular franchises worldwide and Sony does not, and third parties were shy day 1 when it came to the Vita.

There was a sect of GAF that thought the Vita stood a chance, but this was based more on hopes and dreams.

What are you talking about? The Vita had a much better launch line up than the 3DS. I don't like metacritic, but only one launch 3DS game (Street Fighter) got more than 80 points whereas had two original and three ports at launch.

The marked just wasn't there and unless everyone for some odd reason make the most popular games exclusive to it or the general public realizes touchscreen controls suck it'll probably never sell very well. I just hope the core following keeps buying new games for it (which they are thankfully) because even with the few games coming there really isn't any device like it to play them on.

jeremy1456

What are you talking about? The Vita had a much better launch line up than the 3DS. I don't like metacritic, but only one launch 3DS game (Street Fighter) got more than 80 points whereas had two original and three ports at launch.

The marked just wasn't there and unless everyone for some odd reason make the most popular games exclusive to it or the general public realizes touchscreen controls suck it'll probably never sell very well. I just hope the core following keeps buying new games for it (which they are thankfully) because even with the few games coming there really isn't any device like it to play them on.

Nintendo had Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Pokemon and Animal Crossing in their stable.

Launch line ups mean diddly in the long run. Why are you trying to use that as an argument for long term sales?

Those franchises i listed are bigger in Japan than any third party franchise.

Even if the Vita had Monster Hunter that's just one multimillion selling franchise. Nintendo has tons of them.

Ty4on

What does the worldwide Vita userbase stand at now?

I wonder about this too. According to wikipedia's source it was 2.2 million summer last year and sales dropped, but it did outsell the 3DS when Soul Sacrifice came with the price drop. Japan really is the only market for handhelds nowadays. Even the 3DS numbers are depressing with a big drop in the west that is only slightly helped by an increase in Japan.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I always hated the mh begging(i am a vita owner), i really hope this stops mh begging.
not that capcom words are reliable lol

I feel that Capcom has already miss the boat to put Monster Hunter on the Vita. With games like Soul Sacrifice, God Eater 2, Phantasy Star Online, and Toukiden its already too late to do that. They may as well keep it on the 3ds where there is no direct competition.

A Monster Hunter Vita would wreck all them combined in sales. Don't kid yourself.

But alas, it ain't happening.

He could have not responded at all if MH Vita was being planned. It's a shame, but I personally far prefer the "clones" to the original MH.

When Ragnarok Odyssey, Soul Sacrifice, and God Eater are better, of course they won't even bother.

Honestly I would have cared before I tried the Soul Sacrifice demo. Now? Their loss.

I notice this here and on other forums...

Now that MoHun ISN'T on Vita, all the clones are now considered BETTER games than Monster Hunter by many Vita fans.

Strange.

Can anyone explain this?

Protome

I'd love a PS Vita MH game, but there are enough clones to scratch that itch for me.

When the 3DS eventually gets a redesign, I might pick one up for MH4.

Zee-Row

Banned
I think Capcom could still make lots of money putting it on the Vita , its not like they make new assets every game , they mostly recycle the same stuff. Plus they can make it digital only and save money on manufacturing costs.

I wonder about this too. According to wikipedia's source it was 2.2 million summer last year and sales dropped, but it did outsell the 3DS when Soul Sacrifice came with the price drop. Japan really is the only market for handhelds nowadays. Even the 3DS numbers are depressing with a big drop in the west that is only slightly helped by an increase in Japan.

It's probably around 4M shipped worldwide at this point. Actual sell-through? Who knows.

Now that MoHun ISN'T on Vita, all the clones are now considered BETTER games than Monster Hunter by many Vita fans.

Strange.

Can anyone explain this?

Maybe some people think they are better games? AFAIK Soul Sacrifice for instance is considered a ''MH clone'' but is quite different and I have seen many who seem to prefer it to MH.

Of course some might say it because of some fanboy defense mechanism but for example especially SS has gotten very good reception from fans so there is no need to start a fight about this.

Also in a way Vita is the winner for now with new games of this ''genre'' instead of ports to keep people happy while MH4 is MIA ;). I don't know TBH if 3DS has any ''MH Clones'' that are concidered good.

ZeroAKA

Strange.

Can anyone explain this?
What? I didn't say anything about the clones being "better" games. I just never liked the combat in MH much (too slow for me), even when the games were on the PSP. It's not like I suddenly changed my mind when Capcom switched over to Nintendo systems.

was really planning to try this style of game out on my Vita...Really not interested in the 3DS for ergonomic reasons mostly.

oh well...maybe a port one day when 3DS slows down or something. Pretty content with just my Vita for now, even though I have an amazon wishlist for a good 6-7 games +3DS ready to order. Just never felt the real push to do so...

Bummed about it basically being "undisclosed" exclusive. Why not just say it'll only be on 3DS? Or Nintendo say "only on 3DS" on the box. This miscommunication just gives fans false hope.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
With the power of qhd, dat OLED, the extensive library of PS1 classics and PSP games off of the PSN and the incredible never seen before dual analog power of the Vita the fans won't even notice or care when MH comes out on a competitors handheld. Too busy playing PSO2 (Only on Vita and PC), God Eater 2 (Only dual analog on Vita) and SOUL SACRIFICE (Only on Vita)

They also outsell about every game on every platform. A MH on Vita would do great numbers. Look at games that have releases on hugely popular platforms and also on Vita and its not like you'll see an insane difference like Muramasa and P4G.

With the difference that Muramasa and Persona 4 Golden are ok with 70k and 250k units respectively, while Monster Hunter needs to sell at least 3+ million units in the mainline entries. And Vita has barely one million units in Japan to date. Then, if you think that great numbers are in the range of 300k units, a porting of MHP3rd would be enough.

Not everyone wants to buy a new system to play a single game. We already saw this with Bayonetta 2.

The PSP crowd, which was / is MH fanbase, should have more than one reason to get a 3DS, since the majority of IPs we saw on PSP ended up on the latter.

Strange.

Can anyone explain this?

From "I love my Vita!" to "I love my MH clones!"

PS: it's funny because when you say that SS is a MH clone it is pointed out that it is not a MH clone, it's quite different, etc. but then all of a sudden it is possible to substitute MH with SS :p

DaBoss

was really planning to try this style of game out on my Vita...Really not interested in the 3DS for ergonomic reasons mostly.

oh well...maybe a port one day when 3DS slows down or something. Pretty content with just my Vita for now, even though I have an amazon wishlist for a good 6-7 games +3DS ready to order. Just never felt the real push to do so...

Bummed about it basically being "undisclosed" exclusive. Why not just say it'll only be on 3DS? Or Nintendo say "only on 3DS" on the box. This miscommunication just gives fans false hope.

Do companies still do this outside of first-party games?

This betrayalton probably caused Nintendo to stop doing that:
YsWPEuS.jpg

This is similar to how people keep spreading the myth that there's no place for consoles in Japan. The Vita and 3DS are in very different places, sales-wise, in any region. The 3DS is not selling anything close to DS/GBA in the west atm BUT it is selling well enough to justify continued support and existence in those markets.

jeremy1456

With the power of qhd, dat OLED, the extensive library of PS1 classics and PSP games off of the PSN and the incredible never seen before dual analog power of the Vita the fans won't even notice or care when MH comes out on a competitors handheld. Too busy playing PSO2 (Only on Vita and PC), God Eater 2 (Only dual analog on Vita) and SOUL SACRIFICE (Only on Vita)

With the way Sony operates I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Soul Sacrifice PS3 port.

VanWinkle

Strange.

Can anyone explain this?

I think you're trying to correlate these two thoughts when they are, in fact, largely unrelated.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
With the way Sony operates I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Soul Sacrifice PS3 port.

Pretty sure the only reason we haven't seen Golden Abyss PS3 yet is that ND would throw a fit thinking the game would lower the quality of the franchise.

That or they're waiting for GA 2 for a bundle!

SmokyDave

I'm pretty confident that there is absolutely no way that there will ever be a Monster Hunter on Vita. I don't really understand why the issue hasn't been completely put to bed.

Strange.

Can anyone explain this?
You should buy a Vita. Your vicarious investment in the platform is palpable.

I wasn't mocking anyone, to be clear (I like Crewnh, he's awesome). I just wanted to make a Capcpom joke.
awww. Im going to try not to ruin your jokes with my my poor reading comprehension
Pretty sure the only reason we haven't seen Golden Abyss PS3 yet is that ND would throw a fit thinking the game would lower the quality of the franchise.

That or they're waiting for GA 2 for a bundle!
but uc3 already did that

Top Bottom