• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Marvel Comics Digital Sale on Amazon - lots of stuff 90% off

yunbuns

I've wanted to read some Elektra stuff but I'm not a comic reader so I don't know where to begin. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Start with ultimate Spider-Man.

it’s way too long to be the first thing he starts.

start small:

thor god bomb vol 1&2

hawkeye by fraction

the vision by tom king

that’s 3 dope short tightly paced comics with 3 VERY different vibes

Alright guys.

Question though, should I get the rest of the Ultimate SpiderMan or should I just finish these up and wait for the next sale? I got tons of comics already and I know that these will last a while but still having second thoughts if I should complete the ultimate spider man collection from the first 10 I bought to the next 12 from the whole 22 set.

chidrock

Alright guys.

Question though, should I get the rest of the Ultimate SpiderMan or should I just finish these up and wait for the next sale? I got tons of comics already and I know that these will last a while but still having second thoughts if I should complete the ultimate spider man collection from the first 10 I bought to the next 12 from the whole 22 set.

The question is whether or not there will be another sale...lol

(probably but that would require willpower)

Seriously though it depends on how much cash you have and whether or not you will regret not getting them now when you're done reading the ones you picked up already.

Alright guys.

If another sale doesn't roll around the time you need the rest of the volumes you can just do Marvel Unlimited to get your fix.

Alright guys.

Finish what you have and wait. You probably have a big enough backlog as it is. If you somehow run out of comics and another massive sale hasn't happened, buy one month of Marvel Unlimited and just read the rest of the Spiderman stuff that way.

I really want to pick up some '90s X-Men stuff, but I don't even remember which were the good stories. X-Tinction Saga? X-cutioners Song?

X-Cutioners Song is good enough; I prefer it to Xtinction Agenda. It's also 90s AS HELL. Age of Apocalypse is pretty fondly remembered: they released a new four-volume version of that with updated reading order and whatnot. Again, 90s AS HELL. Also, doesn't feature the normal X-Teams; it's sort of an alternate-timeline thing.

The X-Men Mutant Genesis 2.0 collection (i.e. the "Jim Lee Doing Everything" collection re-colored) is fun. Man I forgot how wordy that comic was. It's sort of fun reading that an the X-Force Epic Collection (so many pouches!) side-by-side as basically the apotheosis of mainstream 90's comics, even if they're actually not very good comics.

Also the two "Wolverine by Hama & Silvestri" collections, while not an X-Team book per se, are pretty good.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not to compound the problem, but Amazon is also having a Batman sale with books and trades up to 77% off through 9/25. Lots of classics and new stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Day/b?ie=UTF8&node=13097114011

The last few days I went from not having the Comixology app nor purchasing a comic book for years to suddenly being overloaded with too many books to read in the span of a year or two. Each day I keep poking into this thread and buying more recommendations after telling myself no more. This is dangerous.

Not to compound the problem, but Amazon is also having a Batman sale with books and trades up to 77% off through 9/25. Lots of classics and new stuff.

The last few days I went from not having the Comixology app nor purchasing a comic book for years to suddenly being overloaded with too many books to read in the span of a year or two. Each day I keep poking into this thread and buying more recommendations after telling myself no more. This is dangerous.

I really wish those Bat books would be a bit cheaper. I'd probably buy one or two, but no where near the amount of Marvel books like the ones on sale.

BC: An Explanation For The Marvel Amazon Kindle Mega-Sale That Has Come Round Again
Bleeding Cool has noted that every now and then there seems to be an unpublicised Marvel sale on Amazon Kindle. It’s happening right now, with brand new trade paperback collections from Marvel being sold for a third of the price of a single new issue, in some cases. But why?

Well, one explanation I have received from an industry insider is that these are always timed to end of quarters. That Marvel needs a short-term sales and profit boost. But not one that they expect to publicise much, so that the boost can be dismissed as just a result of that. Or train people to just wait for the end of quarter digital sale.

Basically they want the sales, they want the boost, but they don’t want too many people to notice and change their usual buying practices.

Okay, so none of you learn anything from this, okay? None of you start “waiting for the sale” or it will all go away.

So it's exactly what everyone thought.

oh damn. So......which are the good batman books?

Malajax

I just bought a bunch last night such as the vision and Ms. Marvel. Is there a recommendation for a one shot style or short series that doesn't involve a lot of lore to follow? Preferably in one volume.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, only picked up Long Halloween, TDKR, Black Mirror and Year One. I should be set on comics until 2020.

I'M STILL BUYING COMICS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

I read Capt. Marvel off Prime Reading and scooped the other 3 volumes because it's so good

Kenstar

I just bought a bunch last night such as the vision and Ms. Marvel. Is there a recommendation for a one shot style or short series that doesn't involve a lot of lore to follow? Preferably in one volume.

hawkeye needs no previous knowledge
follows him off duty when he's not avenging
first vol. was free for me as a prime member

I don't know their reasoning but something worked because they got someone who's never bought a marvel comic outside of special offers for Marvel Unlimited to spend around $100 dollars on digital comics.

Same here. And I'll spend like $100 every time they do a sale like this.

And I'll spend nothing if they don't.

Edit: I spent $136. Damn!

You're killing me man, I was supposed to stop 2 days ago...

I don't know their reasoning but something worked because they got someone who's never bought a marvel comic outside of special offers for Marvel Unlimited to spend around $100 dollars on digital comics.

That's basically me, never used Comixology before but now I have like 78 books;

Metalmarc

Some Random Marvel Comics having extra discounts?

I put this on my wishlist during the sale as you can see the sale price was £1.80 when added on 21st sept, now i check my wishlist and i see this at 99p

Discount on top of a discount? So I bought it.

IMG_7655.jpg

Both volumes of The Vision book everyone reccomends too, came to £3.60 i think for both volumes, not sure if it was £4 odd recently, so I bought it as well.

Apologies to wallets in advance.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Reading Thor the Unworthy (thanks for recc) but it kinda makes me think that Slaine is a better Thor than Thor.

Cronen

So I picked up the following:

Secret Wars 2015
Civil War II
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 1 (wanted to learn about Miles)
Spider-Men

The sale has me wanting a bit more. Anything else that is a must get? I am looking at grabbing both volumes of The Vision. People also seem to be quite positive about Thor: God of Thunder volumes 1 and 2?

"We need our investors and Disney think we're doing alright so let's fudge the numbers the month before their review with a massive sale we actually lose money on".
The 2014-2015 one
The KSD one? It's good. Still amazes me that Marvel wanted her to stay on until the movie was out even though she had told them before that she was done and didn't have any more multi arc length stories to tell.

Brandon F

Another fuck you to your wallets...

Saga by Brian K Vaughn trades are pretty cheap now as well. Get the entire current set(Vol. 1-7) for $40. MUCH cheaper than buying the two Omnibus books(those only collect Vol. 1-6 anyway).

Brandon F

So I picked up the following:

Secret Wars 2015
Civil War II
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 1 (wanted to learn about Miles)
Spider-Men

The sale has me wanting a bit more. Anything else that is a must get? I am looking at grabbing both volumes of The Vision. People also seem to be quite positive about Thor: God of Thunder volumes 1 and 2?

Seems there is a general consensus on recommendations scouring this and the older Marvel sale thread earlier this summer. (Probably missing plenty, but these came up repeatedly the most.)

-Astonishing X-Men 1-4 (Joss Whedon)
-Alias: Jessica Jones 1-4
-Black Panther 1-3 (Ta-Nehisi Coates)
-Captain Marvel (2014-2015) 1-3
-Gwenpool
-Hawkeye (Matt Fraction)
-Planet Hulk
-World War Hulk
-Infinity Gauntlet
-Marvel 1602 (Neil Gaiman)
-X-Men God Loves, Man Kills
-X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga
-X-Men Days of Future Past(not as essential as above two)
-Moon Knight 2014-2015 (Warren Ellis)
-Ms. Marvel 2014-2015
-Nextwave Agents of HATE
-Punisher Max (Garth Ennis)
-Secret Warriors (Brian Michael Bendis)
-Secret Wars 2015
-Spider Gwen
-The Mighty Thor 1-3 (Jason Aaron) - Jane Foster as FemThor
-Thor: God of Thunder and GodBomb (1-2)
-Ult. Spiderman (Bendis run)
-Unbeatable Squirrel Girl beats up the Marvel Universe
-Uncanny X-Force (Rick Remender run)
-Vision 1-2
-Fantastic Four (J. Hickman) - I forget specifically which specific stories, but assume all are good by that guy.
-Daredevil (All the Frank Miller stuff)
-Daredevil: Man without Fear (Bendis)

-Also the entire Star Wars 2015+ run is popular (Vader, Poe, Leia, Chewie, Han, Shattered Empire, etc...etc...etc...)

Cronen

Thanks! A couple of those I have in paperback form but will go through the list and pick out some that I don’t have! :)

Another fuck you to your wallets...

Saga by Brian K Vaughn trades are pretty cheap now as well. Get the entire current set(Vol. 1-7) for $40. MUCH cheaper than buying the two Omnibus books(those only collect Vol. 1-6 anyway).

Oh snap. Time to nab the remaining stuff. I think I have like issues 1-23 in floppies so this is awesome.

Also saw that The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (the teenage witch) #1-5 is currently free for Amazon Prime users. I read a bit of the first one and it looks great.

Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe was amazing, just finished it

Strongly recommend

Do you know if this is a one shot? I grabbed vol. 1-4 but wasn't sure what this was

PrankT

For Marvel essentials, definitely don't skip Annihilation (Annihilation Conquest is also good).

I picked up:

Annihilation 1-3
Epic X-Factor Genesis and Apocalypse
Epic X-Men Second Genesis
Epic Excalibur
Epic New Mutants
Infinity Gauntlet
Infinity War
Captain Marvel Complete Collection
Warlock Complete Collection
The End
X-Men God Loves Men Kills
World War Hulk (get Planet Hulk if you haven't read it)
Nightcrawler

There are so many other great options.

Top Bottom