• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Finally managed to properly use a sniper in the beta. So hard in countdown because usually by the time it spawns 2 enemies are already dead and by the time you try and get to the other 2, they are also dead. Haven't played control much at all.

giphy.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Kind of shock to find out some random person at work also plays Destiny a lot. They were echoing the same things we are with D2 beta.

If you're going to make PVP more competitive then don't make it slow as molasses and take away things that makes Destiny unique from all the garbage out there.

daedalius

Kind of shock to find out some random person at work also plays Destiny a lot. They were echoing the same things we are with D2 beta.

If you're going to make PVP more competitive then don't make it slow as molasses and take away things that makes Destiny unique from all the garbage out there.

They called them freedom slots. FREEDOM SLOTS

what the fuck

Strider

It's be really neat if there was actually a weaponslot where you could equip whatever you wanted. Say something like this:

slot 1 is elemental primary and slot 3 still remains an elemental heavy as now. So slot 2 could be opened up to any weapon you have with the downside that it loses its elemental property.

Just as a theory craft it would open up waaaay more builds for PvE and you could still structure ammo for PvP in a way that the game shifts to a 2 primary meta.

stay gold

The way power ammo works currently is so annoying if you're not in a premade. Like almost every time it comes up your 3 idiot teammates will give up map control to go fight over who gets it for 10 seconds.

I think it would be better if it was tied to kill streaks, since assists count it wouldn't be punishing to bad players and further encourages teamwork. Maybe that would would be too much ammo, I don't know.

daedalius

Freedom from trying to balance a PvP that has special weapons...

As a player who mostly enjoyed D1's PvP casually & solo, this D2 beta has been a sad disappointment.

Yea me too, destiny pvp has always been a fun thing with occasional trials for "srs" pvp, changing it all to 4v4 is like the worst thing they could do.

And yea, who the fuck asked them to give us two primary weapons? That was really what they came up with when trying to figure out how to balance special weapons in pvp? And then just fuck pve, who cares about giving those people what they want; you get two primaries and no heavy to kill bosses and you'll like it!

MrDaravon

I'm curious to know what the general consensus on this beta is outside of the GAF bubble. What if people are loving these changes and the engagement numbers for this beta shatter's records? Would love to see some of the data Bungie is seeing. We all know how the GAF echo chamber was opposite to the actual success of Wildlands.

Most of my old crew on Xbox (I switched to PS4 this gen) aren't real happy with it but have resigned themselves to getting it anyway since Destiny is the main game they play. I would imagine that's not an uncommon sentiment; hell I'm pretty unhappy with the Beta and even then I'm still hoping against hope Bungie shows something that drastically changes my mind before launch since I want the game to be good and it comes out in an amazingly perfect release period for me. Basically seeing a lot of 'I want to believe' amongst people I know not on GAF.

Honestly the beta being hugely disappointing is probably gonna get me to re-install Destiny 1.

Toddler

I don't mind the Destiny 1.5 comments. The game should look and feel familiar. I've been positively impressed by everything shown in the beta besides the 2 main grips the keep echoing not just through GAF, but every large Destiny community on the internet:

1. Supers aren't really super anymore. Ability kills never felt like a crutch to me. The only reason I can think of them doing this is to make Destiny an e-sports darling. Space Magic must have felt like too much chaos for the competitive crowd, so let's ruin it for everyone else 🙄

2. Warlocks get regenerative powers. Titans have 2 variations of a cool new defense mechanisms (not including their super). Hunters get to dodge? Nightstalkers did it better in D1, and at not cost. WTF?

Other than that, phenomenal. Visually, gunplay is as great as you'd expect from a Bungie game, PvP maps are really good, Countdown and Control are really good. Nothing else bad to say about it, especially considering this is only the beta.

My final opinion is there's just no way to perfectly balance PvP and PvE. I understand they want our characters to feel consistent throughout the entire universe, and I appreciate that. Maybe it's time to reconsider buffing characters in an only competitive PvP mode, that features certain game types that rotate weekly, and go respectively wild with the rest.

This feels like a much bigger chunk has been taken out of the game for the sake of balancing than taking away the M6D in Halo 2.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think we may have a situation where if Bungie doesn't change D2's PVP at all, some people are just going to stick with D1 and play it for 10 years ala Melee.

mhayze

Beta PVP is interesting so far. Running into lots of teams today - I feel like I stand no chance with a bunch of randos against a team, whether I have the highest "Efficiency" or not (probably that part is no different from D1 crucible). Any LFG sites for D2 beta?

daedalius

I think we may have a situation where if Bungie doesn't change D2's PVP at all, some people are just going to stick with D1 and play it for 10 years ala Melee.

4v4 countdown is fine, but quickplay/control and such should still be 6v6

They should have just gone with 5v5 for most maps, and that would still work with 3v3 and 4v4 for their other modes. Everything being sized for 4v4 is super lame.

I thought 6v6 was actually a great number considering how much I played btb in halo.

It would be a pretty scathing rebuke of their changes if lots of people continued to play D1

mhayze

4v4 countdown is fine, but quickplay/control and such should still be 6v6

They should have just gone with 5v5 for most maps, and that would still work with 3v3 and 4v4 for their other modes. Everything being sized for 4v4 is super lame.

I thought 6v6 was actually a great number considering how much I played btb in halo.

It would be a pretty scathing rebuke of their changes if lots of people continued to play D1

I have a feeling that tweaks to the format are inevitable, but it's probably going to start at 4v4. And maps feel designed for 4v4. Regarding the slower feel of the game, I do wonder if part of that is the stat boosts causing the abilities to be rarer, and the lack of traditional D1 secondaries (shotties, fusion, etc.) until later in the game. All those things are minor tweaks - I think back to how many variations of ammo allocations have occurred through the lifespan of D1. Plus we don't have much armor choice and no exotic armor, etc. All these things will eventually make the gameplay faster - it's inevitable. I feel like these weapons are training karts, and when the game launches we will be in full racecars. I could be wrong, but we can always hope.

Focusing on just gunplay, I'm still trying to get a better feel for the primaries (knowing that the ones we see now are just a starting point), but the current handgun feel is pretty good. Still getting a feel for the best engagement distances for each archetype and how the gun v gun matchups work (e.g. handgun vs submachine gun at short-med range)
There's a definite learning curve here.

Ramirez

Pfffft, once the loot chase is active, you can forget about it.

Hardcore Halo fans despised Reach for the most part, but still kept playing it even with 3 available. The majority of gamers always suck it up and move on to the next.

Remember that trials and iron banner will be shutdown next month. That will force a good chunk of people to move to D2 or another shooter to get their fix.

FUCK.

Oh well, the dream been dead.

gyMraUQ.png

Was hoping all the streamers/MLG players would ease off so I'd sneak in the week of D2 release.

The week of release will be chaotic. Everyone trying all at once. Loot chase, youtubers chasing subs, tryhards all over the place. Bugs being found and abused...

Lets just see what they will decide in regards to the date they will open the raid.

Destiny in a nutshell

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm hoping for a Lootcave 3.0 scenario, my fave time in D1 was standing out front of that cave popping heads with the bros.

Not even lying.

It actually was.

The week of release will be chaotic. Everyone trying all at once. Loot chase, youtubers chasing subs, tryhards all over the place. Bugs being found and abused...

Lets just see what they will decide in regards to the date they will open the raid.

Destiny in a nutshell

I meant for Trials.

Oddly enough, I got into the beta on both PS4 and X1 at 1PM on the dot and have yet to hit a server error, but I know it wont be compared to D1 release. I didnt even know what I was doing in D1, only that I kept getting kicked in the first few hours of release.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
wow Zavala can actually die on you on the story mission...lol...so I revived him and he seemed fuckin pissed when he came back to...jeezus...

Nodnol

That moment when you figure out Arcstrider.

Dodge, melee, dodge, couple of rounds here and there, dodge, melee, dodge, melee...

So good.

Are they also shutting down private matches in D1?

I thought they said they wouldn't be in initially but were coming later, maybe I'm wrong there. I was hoping to see private/custom games expanded into Strikes, Story Missions, etc allowing you to play through them with your choice of modifiers but I guess that was simply wishful thinking.

Edit: I was thinking of Destiny 2, I have no idea whether or not they're getting rid of private matches in the current iteration of Destiny.

I'm hoping for a Lootcave 3.0 scenario, my fave time in D1 was standing out front of that cave popping heads with the bros.

Not even lying.

It actually was.

I mentioned this many times, but my favorite has always been during HoW when I was in a fireteam of 3 at the Skywatch and joined two other fireteams of 3 who were defending the warsat event...

Then the wolves ships started appearing, and they started dropping in the corner behind us....

Then the enemies started moving against each other....

So all 9 of us kept rotating between the wolves, the warsat, and the the hive going apeshit. Chaining supers, basically patrol mayhem.

Best patrol ever.

Top Bottom