• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is probably the best way to become a video game collector

Emily Chu

Banned
200px-Hoarders_titlecard.jpg

Cheska

My head started to spin as I was scrolling down the pictures :/ Damn what a collection but lol at the price.

Zizbuka

Banned
Even if it doesn't sell, wouldn't the fees be really high? Haven't used ebay in yeaaaaaaars, so not sure anymore.

injurai

Banned
Think of all the other collectors that can't bear to part with their collection. Some closet collectors must have more than 22 complete sets and that scares me.

wondermega

stuff like this confounds me a little. I guess this is what happens when the hunter-gatherer urge goes out of control, there's no more natural predators, etc.

But seriously, what is the appeal of having that much stuff - unopened, especially? I like old games, and I have a decent sized little collection. A Snes with about maybe 30 games, NES with 40, Genesis with 40 (you see a pattern here?) A Vectrex w/multicart, Lynx with about 20 games, a turbografx w about 40, Saturn with maybe 15?. They're cool and it's nice having them around, cool to look atthe stacks of carts and remember my childhood - the SNES actually gets used more than anything else I bet - and I am not hurrying to sell the lot (believe me, I could sure use the $$!) but I also wouldn't really miss it if it was gone.

When I look at mammoth collections of stuff (DVDs, music, games, etc) it does kinda blow my mind and starts feeling like 'whoa, that collection actually owns YOU" and particularly in the case of "sealed items" which can only be looked at as packaging, not even appreciated for the actual contents. It must become kind of a burden. Especially when it starts becoming quite big and expensive. I wonder what drives one to sell this? The doc gives you 6 months to live, so you start liquidating everything?

gurasa

Yup, that's Adol. I sold him that Cyberbots. :)

This is a brag auction, but at the same time, its not. This auction doesn't have his Neo Geo collection, his Euro Neo Geo Pocket, his US SNES collection, his japanese PSX collection, etc.

In other words, he gave a price that he wouldn't mind letting these go for, and he'd still have games that he'd be able to look at on his shelf after pocketing a stupid amount of money.
Is this him? http://neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=7602

Surely this is the worst way to start a collection? It would completely bypass the act of, er, collecting.

Depends on what you get out of it, I suppose. But I agree. My collection is about 1/6th this size, and I wouldn't trade it for this one, because mine is mine. I'd love to go cherry-picking in his stuff, though.

I'm actually shocked to find out the GameCube only had a little over 300 releases in Japan. The US saw something close to 500 titles for it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for the confirmation that it was Adol, i was wondering about this earlier. I thought i'd recognized one of the rugs in the pictures, and i dont think anyone else but him have such a big japanese game collection and lives in France :)

Impressive stuff, but wouldn't want to be in this guy's shoes.

Amazing waste of money. Wonder if anyone will waste even more for all of this.
Why is it a waste of money? The guy obviously enjoys (or enjoyed, since he is now selling) collecting games. Doing things you enjoy that doesnt hurt anyone else isnt a waste of either time or money.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Why is it a waste of money? The guy obviously enjoys (or enjoyed, since he is now selling) collecting games. Doing things you enjoy that doesnt hurt anyone else isnt a waste of either time or money.
yeah but judging people is way more fun than video games.

test_account

XP-39C²
yeah but judging people is way more fun than video games.
Looking at all the games combined like this gives an indication that a lot of money is most likely been spent on these games. But yeah, i wouldnt call it a waste of money if the guy enjoys/enjoyed collecting games.

I dont think he expects it to sell either. Finding a buyer to pay 1 million euros will be extremely difficult.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I love my Dreamcast collection but...

100% Complete Sega Dreamcast BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED Fullset: Around 550 games, all of them factory sealed, including all Dorikore reprints, rare Sega Direct exclusive prints, etc.

*swoon*

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, why am I not stupid-rich right now? I want someone like Trey Parker to buy this collection.

I can't even imagine such a collection. It'd be sweet to own, but I'd want the games to play them... Not look at them and keep 'em sealed. That's why I don't deserve something like this.

Guess I'd need two full collections. One to look at, one to play. =P

GimMick

Meh... as a gamer I would never want to get rid of any of my games.

If I had such a collection I would rather try to make a museum out of it so that everyone can enjoy it. This is probably what I would do right now if I had a shitload of money actually.

-KRS-

It's collections like these that make me question what the hell I'm even doing being a collector, since I'll never be able to get something like this. Awe inspiring stuff.

The Dreamcast had 550 while the N64 has only 200?

No wonder I only had like 5 games throughout the lifetime of the N64.

I'm not sure whats correct, but it says the N64 had 387 releases on the wiki, so I'm not sure where hes getting the 200 number from.

Also just randomly CTRL + F Terranigma. Not found. Hmmm.

EDIT: found it under the Japanese name, but not the Euro version.

Oppo

If I bought this, I'd bring an army of orphans with me to open and play everything, right in front of the seller.

Fox Mulder

I'm not sure whats correct, but it says the N64 had 387 releases on the wiki, so I'm not sure where hes getting the 200 number from.

The n64 had something like 296 games released for the US. I guess the rest are Japanese and Europe exclusives.

I'm not sure what point there would be in donating this stuff to a museum where it would just sit, unopened, and collect dust. you might as well just donate the box covers to a museum and sell the contents. (can you tell that I don't understand people who buy sealed games?) I think it would probably make more sense to create a non-circulating library where people could play the games under strict conditions to preserve the games and maintain awareness of what came before. kindof like a rare book collection at a library.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So... it looks like the auction ended... and if I'm reading the page right, it sounds like he sold it.

Maybe he ended it because someone bought one of the sets, but I dunno... sounds like the dude's $1.2 million richer.

And his mom said he'd never get anywhere with these games!

Is there any way to know whether it was a legitimate sale? I assume this sort of thing is just brag/wanking.

I unloaded my collection by donating it to a friend when I moved from Los Angeles to Maine. Occasionally I miss my TG-16 HuCard collection but it's such an ephemeral thing.

Aselith

I believe the sets are all Japanese releases.

andymcc

Banned
damn i'm pretty sure i bought my Dragon Ball Z Super Butoden for Sega Saturn from him on eBay a long fuckin' time ago.

Top Bottom