• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Ep 84

One of the few times when I have completely wished to have dropped an anime midway through. I think I can safely conclude now that I should have stopped at Greed Island because from there this series has gone completely downhill. Ive given it several weeks (ep77, 78, 80, 81), and I think he has lost his touch and just failed to really find a way to keep the high paced good action and intensity going. In YYH at least, it seemed each arc kept getting better and better and just kept taking off higher and higher. Here its like he want back to his pre manga serialization days and adopted techniques that any starting writer would have giving us a really inferior and kind of dull product that just infuriates us. Its just really unfocused now and changes tones way too often. I was so hyped and excited at the start of this episode as
Pokkle finally came back and appeared like I had hoped for so long ago. I wanted and expected him to manage to be saved by Gon, Killua, and Kite there in some stunning assault on Chimera Ant HQ, be rescued and then do his trademark seven spectrum array against the ants for payback. I dont know, maybe I just hate when writers do this, giving false hope like that and then even going so far. It just didnt make sense and was baffling to do for the genre. Pokkle was supposed to be saved, its what I and really any logical person would do, not have him go through that, get nekkid (well he did look nice), and then etc. The song even has the theme, "You can try again". Where is his second chance to try again? At least give him that or something. It just makes me really angry and dislike Neferpitou a lot. Regardless, I hope Togashi made up for this later on, as this seems like the only place we can go from here is up.

smurfx

get some go again
Regardless, I hope Togashi made up for this later on, as this seems like the only place we can go from here is up.
gonna enjoy your commentary on later episodes.

iY3fmf6Q3SvOj.gif

bigkrev

Ep 84

One of the few times when I have completely wished to have dropped an anime midway through. I think I can safely conclude now that I should have stopped at Greed Island because from there this series has gone completely downhill. Ive given it several weeks (ep77, 78, 80, 81), and I think he has lost his touch and just failed to really find a way to keep the high paced good action and intensity going. In YYH at least, it seemed each arc kept getting better and better and just kept taking off higher and higher. Here its like he want back to his pre manga serialization days and adopted techniques that any starting writer would have giving us a really inferior and kind of dull product that just infuriates us. Its just really unfocused now and changes tones way too often. I was so hyped and excited at the start of this episode as
Pokkle finally came back and appeared like I had hoped for so long ago. I wanted and expected him to manage to be saved by Gon, Killua, and Kite there in some stunning assault on Chimera Ant HQ, be rescued and then do his trademark seven spectrum array against the ants for payback. I dont know, maybe I just hate when writers do this, giving false hope like that and then even going so far. It just didnt make sense and was baffling to do for the genre. Pokkle was supposed to be saved, its what I and really any logical person would do, not have him go through that, get nekkid (well he did look nice), and then etc. The song even has the theme, "You can try again". Where is his second chance to try again? At least give him that or something. It just makes me really angry and dislike Neferpitou a lot. Regardless, I hope Togashi made up for this later on, as this seems like the only place we can go from here is up.

So apparently, this arc is going to be almost as long as the entire series was up until this point (Its over 130 chapters in the manga, where something like Greed Island was only 50 chapters). We are still in the beginning of this storyline. There are still 2 more royal guards to show up, we still are waiting for the King himself (who I guess is that guy in the OP that Pitou is bowing to?), so there are even stronger bad guys to come. I actually liked what happened to Pokkle- it shows that even a character who was somewhat developed with named attacks and everything was no match for the Ants, and was killed fairly easily. I would not be shocked if we had Kite getting killed in the next few episodes based on what we saw in the PV for next week- It would be a good spark for Gon and Killua to get to hardcore training for this threat.

Wiseblade

So apparently, this arc is going to be almost as long as the entire series was up until this point (Its over 130 chapters in the manga, where something like Greed Island was only 50 chapters). We are still in the beginning of this storyline. There are still 2 more royal guards to show up, we still are waiting for the King himself (who I guess is that guy in the OP that Pitou is bowing to?), so there are even stronger bad guys to come. I actually liked what happened to Pokkle- it shows that even a character who was somewhat developed with named attacks and everything was no match for the Ants, and was killed fairly easily. I would not be shocked if we had Kite getting killed in the next few episodes based on what we saw in the PV for next week- It would be a good spark for Gon and Killua to get to hardcore training for this threat.

Remenber that Pokkle didn't even try to fight; he just resigned himself to his fate. "Fucked x Fucked" is pretty much the most apt description of this arc possible.

Jigolo

So I decided to read 199 just show I can stop on 200 (minor ocd). I finished 199 and have only seen the 1st page of 200 . no more reading for me

i just died a little inside

Soriku

I am having horrible withdrawal. I got really hooked and watched all the episodes, and then read the manga just to satisfy my curiousity of what's coming next. I don't know why I like this show so much, but is there any recommendations for "similar" ones?

I did start with One Piece, and while good, it feels kind of silly in the beginning. Should I continue with that or is there anything better? I really like how "gritty" and shocking the Chimera Ant Arc was. It gave me the same kind of goosebump-feelings as Death Note.

Haven't seen alot of shonen except Naruto I guess.

Gintama. Do it.

Moaradin

This is probably my favorite anime at the moment. Hearing that the manga is on hiatus and is only a few arcs ahead is really depressing. I really hope the show doesn't catch up and has to diverge from the manga with filler or worse, gets cancelled ;_;

OmegaX

I didn't know there were people that liked Pockle. What did you expect of a person that got through the Hunter Exam just by mere luck? I'm actually surprised he learned to use Nen at all. He really had no chance against a Captain Chimera ant, much less a Royal Guard. People have to remember that being a Hunter doesn't mean you are strong at all. We know all those people on Greed Island were pro-Hunters because they were Nen users so they passed the secret exam or they learned Nen on their own, but 99% of them were so pathetically weak that even Gon and Killua before training with Bisky could defeat them.
Even Gon and Killua after all their training would be dead by now if Kite wasn't babysitting them.

yami4ct

Related to that, I wish this episode had skipped the filler and had finished at the same place the manga chapter did.

It felt desperately like they were trying to delay to give the next big fight an episode all to itself. Made the intro for Pitou way more boring and plodding for such an awesome character. Well, the big payoff should be next week so maybe I can forgive it then.

yami4ct

This is the really smart thing Togashi does with Pokkle in this arc. He's developed enough for you to believe he's strong, and when he's dispatched so easily it makes the threat of the ants seem greater and more real. Before this, Gon and Kil were taking out hordes of Squadron Leaders with out too much difficulty. The ants had lost some of their threat. Now, Togashi brings that threat all the way back.

It's sort of a theme of what Togashi does so well with Chimera Ant. Each of these individual moments are calculated and add up for maximum impact. The build is so amazingly well executed, it's been a joy to see it animated.

And, what scared me the most about the whole Pokkle death is it shows just how damn fast Pitou can learn. She learns everything she needs to know about manipulating his physiology and get him to tell her exactly what she needs to know in like a matter of minutes. In just a few scenes, Pitou is a more credible threat than everything the Ants have so far put together. She's legitimately frightening in a way most HxH villains really aren't.

I didn't know there were people that liked Pockle. What did you expect of a person that got through the Hunter Exam just by mere luck? I'm actually surprised he learned to use Nen at all.

I'm not sure if both anime adaptions mentioned it, but Wing actually told Gon and Killua that Pokkle actually had trouble learning Ren. I doubt Pokkle was even adept at Nen.

Wiseblade

This is the really smart thing Togashi does with Pokkle in this arc. He's developed enough for you to believe he's strong, and when he's dispatched so easily it makes the threat of the ants seem greater and more real. Before this, Gon and Kil were taking out hordes of Squadron Leaders with out too much difficulty. The ants had lost some of their threat. Now, Togashi brings that threat all the way back.

It's sort of a theme of what Togashi does so well with Chimera Ant. Each of these individual moments are calculated and add up for maximum impact. The build is so amazingly well executed, it's been a joy to see it animated.

And, what scared me the most about the whole Pokkle death is it shows just how damn fast Pitou can learn. She learns everything she needs to know about manipulating his physiology and get him to tell her exactly what she needs to know in like a matter of minutes. In just a few scenes, Pitou is a more credible threat than everything the Ants have so far put together. She's legitimately frightening in a way most HxH villains really aren't.

It's not that Togashi made generic ants threatening, it's that he quickly and very effectively established that the royal guard are a world above anyone else. Rammon had the superior physique of a Chimera ant and was quickly coming to terms with his Nen. In a 1 on 1 fight right now, he'd probably kill Gon or Killua. But was immediately humbled just by looking at Pitou. Their strength literally consumes any individuality the lower class ants ever had. And the King is a lever stronger beyond that.

I didn't know there were people that liked Pockle. What did you expect of a person that got through the Hunter Exam just by mere luck? I'm actually surprised he learned to use Nen at all. He really had no chance against a Captain Chimera ant, much less a Royal Guard. People have to remember that being a Hunter doesn't mean you are strong at all. We know all those people on Greed Island were pro-Hunters because they were Nen users so they passed the secret exam or they learned Nen on their own, but 99% of them were so pathetically weak that even Gon and Killua before training with Bisky could defeat them.

Even Gon and Killua after all their training would be dead by now if Kite wasn't babysitting them.

Pokkle has a sizeable fan gathering of sorts. He's nice character, relatable, good human, fairly decent skills, and just likeable. I didnt expect him to defeat and fight his way out of there, but to at least be saved and get on.

Would Gon and Killua truly be dead, I think they wouldnt be able to kill anyone, but could at least seriously wound all the characters shown thus far this arc, like Rammot.

Yonafunu

DTL, please don't drop the series. Just wait a couple of episodes.

Everyone who's read the manga, stop it with the "ooohh next episode is gonna be cray!" and stuff. I say that as someone who's read the manga. This complete arc should be left as a surprise.

Everyone who's read the manga, stop it with the "ooohh next episode is gonna be cray!" and stuff. I say that as someone who's read the manga. This complete arc should be left as a surprise.

Agreed. It's gotten to the point of being spoilers. Manga readers should probably avoid stuff like this:

Even though many would assume it anyway, we shouldn't be saying things like "the king is a level stronger than the royal guard". Expecting something, and knowing for sure, is not the same. And the hinting "just wait for next week" stuff can give things away.

So far I'm liking this arc more now than I did in the manga. I think it works better with this animation style, the contrast with the story makes it interesting.

OmegaX

I'm not sure if both anime adaptions mentioned it, but Wing actually told Gon and Killua that Pokkle actually had trouble learning Ren. I doubt Pokkle was even adept at Nen.
You are right, Wing did mention that to Gon and Killua. So at that moment he must have been around Zushi's level, struggling maintaining Ren and Gyo but knows the theory of it. I guess he improved during the time the heroes spent in Greed Island (what was it? months? maybe a year?). Still, he must be probably as weak as those 3 guys on Heaven's Tower that blackmailed Gon and Killua.

Pokkle has a sizeable fan gathering of sorts. He's nice character, relatable, good human, fairly decent skills, and just likeable. I didnt expect him to defeat and fight his way out of there, but to at least be saved and get on.

Would Gon and Killua truly be dead, I think they wouldnt be able to kill anyone, but could at least seriously wound all the characters shown thus far this arc, like Rammot.
I'm pretty sure they'd be dead if it weren't for Kite. Sure, they could have taken down some ants with them but without Kite's Scythe power they wouldn't have been able to defeat all those ants at once. Also, they don't use En and Killua noted that Kite was the only one that could detect ants were stalking them from a distance so without him they'd be screwed.

Kite is cool, but a lot of these characters are awful. The King's royal guard little cat girl is supposed to be intimidating? At least Rammot is bizarrely frightening in a way.

This whole arc is a little too furry.

Sarye

I've never read the manga and loved HxH up to GI but this arc is really really slow and kinda dark. Maybe it's because now I'm waiting every week as opposed to watching it in batches. But it seems like everyone is excited for this arc? I hope it rams up soon in action.

Jigolo

Does anyone have info on where Madhouse will stop animating the show? Will this be the last arc they do or will the next one be?

Diablos54

Sounds good to me. Here's hoping Togashi doesn't rush to finish the series and gives us a few more compelling things to read.
That would require him to actually keep writing.

Plus, even if he started now, and kept a weekly schedule from now till the end of the ant arc (LOOL), I very much doubt we'd be at the end by then anyway.

Also, DTL, don't drop this, one of the bets parts of this arc is seeing your responses.

upandaway

Wish there was a no holds barred thread. You know, so we can actually discuss the series without the thread having more black bars than the manga.
There's the manga thread, we discuss HxH there all the time in full force. The situation in this thread is unreasonable towards anime-only watchers, and it's a bummer. The kinds of posts Yonafunu references aren't really meant for either anime-only watchers or those caught up, so it's just weird.

Yonafunu

Wish there was a no holds barred thread. You know, so we can actually discuss the series without the thread having more black bars than the manga.

That's what the manga thread is for. If possible, you could open a Community thread like the Jojo-thread, but you'd have to contact a mod to check about that. I don't know if/when those are allowed.

well, you did see the "huge spoiler" warning there right?

Why would you even post something like that though? It adds absolutely nothing to the discussion or thread, in fact, it even detracts from it.
This is not a manga thread. It's the ANIME THREAD. Stop hinting at stuff, stop spoiling stuff, stop talking about anything that hasn't happened in the anime yet. Let's just stop talking about the manga, okay?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Really not enjoying the Chimera Ant arch so far. I miss the Hisoka/Phantom Troupe/Kurapika/Gon interplay, it lead to some really interesting dynamics in the auction arc. This just seems a bit "monster-of-the-week"ish.

hobz360

Some of you guys need to stop hinting shit. "Oh I can't wait till this happens" Fucking annoying. You want to discuss the manga? Do it HERE. Let those who haven't read the manga enjoy the anime without being spoiled.

bigkrev

There is. It's called MANgaf.

Seriously people, stop spoiling shit. I post my speculation, but I have ZERO insight into what is going to happen next. It's like in the Game of Thrones thread where assholes from the book thread come into the TV thread and ruin the fun. This is a thread for the ANIME.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Really not enjoying the Chimera Ant arch so far. I miss the Hisoka/Phantom Troupe/Kurapika/Gon interplay, it lead to some really interesting dynamics in the auction arc. This just seems a bit "monster-of-the-week"ish.
I never got that vibe from this arc. If anything, I feel that it emphasizes the aspect of kill or be hunted which is pretty awesome since it creates a lot of tension knowing how powerful these enemies are. We've seen death after death and it creates this sense of hopelessness throughout this whole arc. I personally love it.

Cwarrior

Hunter x Hunter 84

Togashi really need to rename this series into Fear x despair cause just when you think the situation couldn't get more grim for our heroes it just keeps on getting more real and very very dark for them.

tumblr_m884kuqDmT1qem02jo1_500.gif

can't stop watching this with a huge grin on my face

This is terrifyingly incredible I can't believe am witnessing this, it's easily one the greatest anime to be created already period and this arc isn't even over.

Loving the delicious sound track for each arc can't wait for the ant arc sound track to come out

Madhouse are hitting all the departments out the park especially the music

kusari Yarou
Requiem aranea
Dirge from darkside
la valse de gracons
kumo no Canzone
Death and agony
Realized capacity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEZDMeCQk7E

Dat sound track and this only a sample of a few.

Bravo_Bravo.gif

Bravo Madhouse

upandaway

Hunter x Hunter 84

Togashi really need to rename this series into Fear x despair cause just when you think the situation couldn't get more grim for our heroes it just keeps on getting more real and very very dark for them.

tumblr_m884kuqDmT1qem02jo1_500.gif

can't stop watching this with a huge grin on my face

This is terrifyingly incredible I can't believe am witnessing this, it's easily one the greatest anime to be created already period and this arc isn't even over.

Loving the delicious sound track for each arc can't wait for the ant arc sound track to come out

Madhouse are hitting all the departments out the park especially the music

kusari Yarou
Requiem aranea
Dirge from darkside
la valse de gracons
kumo no Canzone
Death and agony
Realized capacity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEZDMeCQk7E

Dat sound track and this only a sample of a few.
I'm totally with you on the soundtrack. Dunno what happened, since I didn't really like it for a while (up until ~ep35 I guess since everything else got better too all of a sudden). Now it's really really good.

Daingurse

Hahha, Rammot thought he was about to be the GOAT. But he knows his place now lol. Neferpitou made him her bitch.

I am so fuzzy on this series, really don't remember this arc well. Feels so new to me, but I still remember enough to know it's about to go down.

31716566.jpg

Jigolo

I really can't wait to see these next two episodes. I'm wondering how the humans will be able to take out all the chimera ants once they all get nen.

Top Bottom