• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Momodora V teaser trailer

Excited for the gameplay possibilities the jump to 3D could bring, but it's looking far too crude right now visually. Should've waited on releasing a teaser.

Aizo

Banned
I'm open minded, but I do have to admit that the leap to 3D is a surprising disappointment. Just seems unnecessary.

eggandI

Banned
3D? Wow not feeling that at all, and i usually prefer 3d to 2d the vast majority of time.

Momodora 4 was like the perfect game to expand on because they nailed the core design/mechanics/visuals. I was hoping for this to be Momodora 4, but bigger..

WarRock

Very interested in seeing how rdein will translate the level design and combat into 3D. Not sure why they choose to show anything so early though.

I love 3rd person action games when they are done right. However I'm not sure how I feel about the transition from 2D Metroidvania to this. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though.

IC5

Reminds me of Alice.

To be fair, the creator seems to be interested in tackling challenges. Momodara IV is pretty much a peak refinement, after 4 total, relatively similar games. I think they really wanted to take a whack at 3D. Hopefully they plan for at least a late 2018 release. Because it does clearly need a lot more time.

I'm fine with simplified visuals. But that gameplay has a lot to live up to. And circle strafing is not gonna be enough. Honestly 3D Momodara should probably take some hints from DMC 3 for combat. And Alice isn't a bad inspiration for levels.

I get that it's early but I don't know about that. Nothing about it looks like an interesting or appealing shift from the 2D iterations at all to me.

The video reminds me of Castlevania's miserable forays into 3D with beautiful 2D backgrounds being replaced by generic boxy rooms with ugly/boring textures.

Ooooh that's not what I was expecting when I clicked on the vid!

Still, I'm sure the art will be pretty, but yea, came for the 2D goodness. :'(

hampig

What the hell? 3D is shocking considering how beautiful the last game was.

I love Momo 4 tho, so I'll pick this game up regardless.

Gin-Shiio

Momo 4 was incredible, so they will have my purchase. It's not hard to see the developer is a big fan of the Souls series, so I hope they achieve what they aim for.

emag

Momo 4 was great, but I didn't need to see this super-early teaser of a 3D sequel. I'll try to forget about it so I can be surprised by a good trailer later.

Skinpop

It's not Unreal, but Persona 5's another example of lighting and shading saving what would otherwise be really bad models.

that's an odd thing to say. the models are made that way to have that final look. it's not like they made "bad" models and decided to cover them up with shaders - it's all part of the look.

ThisOne

Animations and graphics look very rough. Should've just stuck to 2D. IV was fun but a little shallow for my tastes. Feel like they really could have just expanded on that and made a really great game. I'll keep my eye on this though.

ZoronMaro

It's early so I'll keep an open mind, but this reminds me of when KoF14 went 3D.

Both KoF and Momodora are great series with great gameplay, but honestly a big draw for me is the really amazing animation and sprite work. Moving from some of the best animation in 2D, to anything less, even if it's still good, is going to be a disappointment. And Momodora is made by like, 4 guys? So even with years more in the oven there's no way their 3D animation or assets can even touch the previous two games. I'm sure it'll still be a fun game, but there's no way I can have the same excitement I had for Momodora 4.

Dascu

I think it looks fine, and obviously very early. Animation and art will no doubt improve. It's also no surprise that it's 3D as rdein has been talking about it for months already on Twitter.

That said...
https://twitter.com/r_rdein/status/855783362161774592
D35xsIb.png

I think it looks fine, and obviously very early. Animation and art will no doubt improve. It's also no surprise that it's 3D as rdein has been talking about it for months already on Twitter.

That said...
D35xsIb.png
I'm sure they are getting a lot of nasty, unwarranted comments, but they had to expect some sort of backlash from switching from 2D to 3D. Maybe they shouldn't have released this early of a trailer. The big contrast between this trailer and the 2D titles is the quality of the animation. The 2D Momodora games havery great animation work, whereas the animations in this trailer are not very good.

Dascu

I'm sure they are getting a lot of nasty, unwarranted comments, but they had to expect some sort of backlash from switching from 2D to 3D. Maybe they shouldn't have released this early of a trailer. The big contrast between this trailer and the 2D titles is the quality of the animation. The 2D Momodora games havery great animation work, whereas the animations in this trailer are not very good.
The footage was too early to show, but at the same time, people ought to be a bit less critical and take it for what it is: a video teasing what they've been working on. I feel like if this had been a first devlog feature on TIGSource, the reaction would've been a lot less negative.

E-flux

As all of the momodora games have been pretty different to each other i'm willing to see how this works out, obviously the art won't be as charming as earlier games but with a little bit of work i'm sure that he can find a nice style for it.

nded

Welp, rdein's twitter account is unavailable. I can imagine the level of bile being flung their way by drive-by shitposters and angry pixel art fetishists.

Still, presenting this as a teaser instead of some sort of dev blog preview might have been unwise. Most people are resistant to change and know very little about the actual game development process.

Khaz

I remember when the first one dropped. Hopefully this new one will be the start of the same success in the third dimension.

Coreda

The footage was too early to show, but at the same time, people ought to be a bit less critical and take it for what it is: a video teasing what they've been working on. I feel like if this had been a first devlog feature on TIGSource, the reaction would've been a lot less negative.

Consider though that this thread is titled 'teaser trailer', the video is edited like a trailer, and the description of the video doesn't make mention that it's early footage (though it's kind of obvious). I mean, it's not like it was released by making these points clear.

I think they just misjudged the reception and potential shock some may feel coming from their earlier games. Doesn't excuse anyone who goes overboard on Twitter but that platform encourages shitty communication tbh. TIGSource for sure is the better community for such early game dev showcases.

the reaction of the so-called "fans" and the drive-bys is all very depressing.

tbh I wish I hadn't posted this at all. I am very excited about it. rdein makes games I enjoy.

If it makes you feel better, you brought the game to my attention ^_^ and now im currently enjoying playing IV.

Marow

That said...
D35xsIb.png
From what I can tell the person he quoted didn't really do anything, just wishing him luck as it currently looks very stiff/basic and thus needing work. That said, I hope Rdein manages to recover, I vaguely remember something similar from before.

This is giving me Castlevania 64 vibes XD

But I have in faith in them, if not to make a good 3d game at least to realize that and go back to 2d XD

Rewatching the teaser I think yeah it could have used a huge "THIS GAME IS IN VERY EARLY DEVELOPMENT AND IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FINAL PRODUCT" at the beginning to alleviate some of the bitching

As always, complete communication breakdown between a fanbase and creator. Fan base can't put itself in the creator's shoes and vice versa.

That doesn't warrant top shelf insult-hurling antics at all so fucking major shame on the fan base once again, stop and think before letting those nerdy fingers loose. My assumption is that it immediately got personal and vicious to level 11 on some platform even if not viewable on Twitter, it always does.

On the flipside, how can the creator expect the average fan to know all the ins and outs of development and just assume the game is incredibly early and will be awesome when the video looks really rough? I was into games for over two decades before joining NeoGAF and have only since learned even the most rudimentary terms and vague ideas of how games are made.

That being said, "making games was a mistake" etc. posts...step away from Twitter and calm down first.

Mephala

I'm tentatively excited. Art direction looks pretty nice. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the games previously.

Not much else to say other than the obvious early development stuff.

Wish the developer all the best. I'll definitely keep tabs on this.

Nothing says he can't work on 2D again later, sometimes you just want to try something different and that is ok.

Oneself

Ah man that looks so much worse than the awesome 2D games, it reminds me of seeing SNES series' moving to N64

I hope it's good though

I had the same thoughts. It feels a lot like a PSone game (obviously better looking) so it has a certain charm if you forget about the series' 2D history.

Nose Master

Showing a game this early is silly. Even if you understand it's miles from the target, it still gives a shit first impression. Keep it under your hat until it's close to the final vision.

Coreda

From what I can tell the person he quoted didn't really do anything, just wishing him luck as it currently looks very stiff/basic and thus needing work. That said, I hope Rdein manages to recover, I vaguely remember something similar from before.

That screencap gives quite a different impression without this knowledge. Guess they just didn't want to be reminded the animations are rough. If that's the thing bothering him taking a break from Twitter is good move. There are those that just need that isolated environment to creatively thrive while tinkering at such early stages.

Durante

Momodora IV was my favorite game of 2016
Mine too!

I certainly didn't expect the sequel to be 3D, but I'm pretty sure it will be interesting. The art style in the trailer grew on my while watching, even in its early incarnation.

Hope the 2d to 3d transition works out for them and they give it the extra level of polish it needs to survive the scrutiny it will and has already received.

BasilZero

1 and 2 is free on the dev's site (at least I think it was their site, looks a bit weird?)

From a forum post the dev says he wont port the two games to Steam cause it would be more difficult or something.

3 is $1.99 regular price on Steam

4 is the more recent one.

So if anyone is wondering ;)

1 and 2 is free on the dev's site (at least I think it was their site, looks a bit weird?)

From a forum post the dev says he wont port the two games to Steam cause it would be more difficult or something.

3 is $1.99 regular price on Steam

4 is the more recent one.

So if anyone is wondering ;)

ooOOoo thank you for the heads up sir!

Uh, I guess it's admirable to make the jump to 3D, but the visual style and design was kind of a big part of what drew me in to Momodora and while this doesn't look bad, it's just not as interesting to me. Obviously it's very early, but I feel like you wouldn't release a trailer unless you were within range of your target style/visuals.

Gameplay is kinda hard to judge but it looks rough atm, there are a lot more variables that can sink 3D gameplay so I hope they work it all out. Same thing though, I get it's early, but why release footage of combat unless it's in the ballpark of what you want it to look like?

Idk, I feel bad being down on it when they're already getting heat over it... but keep it in the oven if it's really years from release, because showing stuff this early never ends well.

This is giving me Castlevania 64 vibes XD

But I have in faith in them, if not to make a good 3d game at least to realize that and go back to 2d XD

Lol this is actually the same thing I thought. the transition of this franchise from 2d to 3d reminds me a lot of what Castlevania went through.

Top Bottom