• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

Been feeling down lately so I started drawing this based in the manga illustrations by Toriyama to cheer up. This is what I have so far. I tighted the pencils for Goku already. Bulma and the motorcycle still in rough state. Planning to do a full colored piece of this hope I don't ruin it!

That looks awesome

I wish I could draw :(

Calling it now.

U7 wins the tournament and Goku wishes for all universes and people erased by Zeno to come back and be allocated into U7.

In the next arc it's revealed that the real reason that Zeno erased U13-18 is that an evil force was ruling over them. That said force comes back, kills both Zenos and a war begins between it and all the universes.
Oh my god that would be awesome

CryptiK

Calling it now.

U7 wins the tournament and Goku wishes for all universes and people erased by Zeno to come back and be allocated into U7.

In the next arc it's revealed that the real reason that Zeno erased U13-18 is that an evil force was ruling over them. That said force comes back, kills both Zenos and a war begins between it and all the universes.
I called that when they announced the erasure thing. Seems like the most obvious choice.

HeroR

That relies on complexity in storytelling that Super has proven itself time and time again to not have.

My prediction:
Time runs out, U6 and U7 have the same number of fighters left, Zeno lets both universes survive. Tournament ends. The wish is used for something pointless like Bulma's panties.

Not really sure how that is 'complex storytelling'. It's a theory that anyone can come up with.

That relies on complexity in storytelling that Super has proven itself time and time again to not have.

My prediction:
Time runs out, U6 and U7 have the same number of fighters left, Zeno lets both universes survive. Tournament ends. The wish is used for something pointless like Bulma's panties.

So Gowasu, Frost, Ribrianne, Bergamo, etc are just discarded away?

I don't think so.

Zalman

I don't think so.
The ending of this arc will inevitably be controversial. It doesn't matter what they do. Some people want those characters to stay, but if that happens the whole tournament will end up being pointless.

LotusHD

Banned
The ending of this arc will inevitably be controversial. It doesn't matter what they do. Some people want those characters to stay, but if that happens the whole tournament will end up being pointless.

They just need to keep U6 alive at least, and people will ultimately get over anyone else permanently disappearing ;D

Ashodin

Yep. Plus we should know more about 111-113 before the special airs.

I was smirking the entire episode when Frost was talking some big shit about taking out Gohan.

Also when Jimeze said "this is where you drop out".

I was like Nah fuck that son, you ain't taking out Gohan.

Also Jimeze said that Freeza didn't have a beautiful soul, unlike Gohan.

And him offering to teach Gohan Instant Transmission (and other moves) was hype af.

I now want that to happen badly.

Protome

Not really sure how that is 'complex storytelling'. It's a theory that anyone can come up with.

Yeah but it relies on a big twist at the end of an Arc to lead into the next one, something which DB doesn't really do.

I don't think so.

I mean, at most maybe the Super Dragonballs get used to bring all the universes back but it wouldn't shock me if those characters are just gone now. They are all pretty one note and disposable anyway, it's kinda the point of the other Universes. The only one they've really fleshed out a surprising degree is U11 so maybe they stay too somehow. Maybe a 3 way tie. Even if Ribrianne's universe survives somehow I don't see her returning except in cameos/other tournaments.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was smirking the entire episode when Frost was talking some big shit about taking out Gohan.

Also when Jimeze said "this is where you drop out".

I was like Nah fuck that son, you ain't taking out Gohan.

Also Jimeze said that Freeza didn't have a beautiful soul, unlike Gohan.

And him offering to teach Gohan Instant Transmission (and other moves) was hype af.

I now want that to happen badly.

Gohan with IT would be OP as fuck. It seems like everyone in this tournament loves him.

I mean, at most maybe the Super Dragonballs get used to bring all the universes back but it wouldn't shock me if those characters are just gone now. They are all pretty one note and disposable anyway, it's kinda the point of the other Universes. The only one they've really fleshed out a surprising degree is U11 so maybe they stay too somehow. Maybe a 3 way tie. Even if Ribrianne's universe survives somehow I don't see her returning except in cameos/other tournaments.

That'd be lame. There's a lot of potential for expansion here.

Protome

My favourite thing about Frieza leading Frost along then betraying him is that there was absolutely no reason for him to do so. He could have just eliminated Frost when he first showed up, Frieza just wanted to be a dick.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There are far too many characters introduced this arc to use again in any serious way. Trying is how you end up with a mediocre show like bleach.

Bleach's issue wasn't the size of the cast, it was the fact the writer added a new character whenever he got stuck on anything.

No idea how to get Ichigo out of this jam? Instead of coming up with something clever he'd come up with a new character to fix the issue. This led to insane and unmanageable bloat given the scope of the story was centered on a single town. DBS is a universe spanning series, it wouldn't have that issue.

If they want DBS to be a really long running show, something they'll keep around for decades, having a big cast would be way better. Even if they don't all get used right away it creates options for later arcs that don't require creating new characters whole-cloth and ensures the audience cares about the characters in that arc.

EDIT: There's a few characters we've been introduced to that would definitely be worth keeping around long-term and expanding upon. If that's not the whole point of this arc, introducing a bunch of characters and seeing which ones work out the best, then this entire thing is a wasted moment.

ajim

My favourite thing about Frieza leading Frost along then betraying him is that there was absolutely no reason for him to do so. He could have just eliminated Frost when he first showed up, Frieza just wanted to be a dick.
And that's why freiza is so good. Shiftiest bastard in the entire series and despite all his chances to turn over a new leaf, he's defiant as Fuck til the end with only himself to look out for which always leads to interesting situations.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Did they include the part where Helles was supposed to praise Goku and Ribrianne would get jealous? I saw the episode again and it wasn't there.

CazTGG

Hasn't stopped One Piece. :p

Not that every single character needs to be seen again, but hopefully it's more than I'm expecting.

When was the last time we saw Launch, a character whose importance in Dragon Ball is far greater than 90% of the ones Super has introduced, exactly?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When was the last time we saw Launch, a character whose importance in Dragon Ball is far greater than 90% of the ones Super has introduced, exactly?

She's not exactly relevant anymore. Any plot lines she would bring up could be resolved by the main cast in seconds.

Given all these new characters would be on their own worlds, it creates a lot more freedom for the writers and gives them a solid base to work off of.

"Oh we have this great idea but how do we get the cast into this situation? Oh wait! Why don't we use this character from the ToP?"

Or even things like...

"What would happen if Vegeta visited the planet of the U-6 Sayians? If Gohan hung out with the Pride Troopers? If Goku and Hit decided to train together?"

It gives them relevant options to build plot lines out of while giving the audience characters that don't require a lot of set up for us to care about.

This arc could easily be a simple way to make sure they've set themselves up for years to come and cut down on the work required on the writing/character design end.

Mory Dunz

People were disappointed with Gohan this episode? I certainly wasn't for a couple reasons.

1 - Gohan wasn't using his full power at all
2 - He knew Frieza wasn't entirely serious, and intentionally played along to sell the impending backstab.
3 - Gohan did just about the same this episode as Goku does in other episodes, trying to defeat his opponent without utilizing his full power.

Oh, and btw, Frieza, shocking as it may seem, was actually teaching Gohan this episode.

uh, maybe he should've because he lost his fight and would've been sent off the ring if not for Frieza.

Mark1

Great episode. Continues to show Frieza is such a boss in this arc.

Did not expect Frost to be completely erased though. That was definitely out of the blue.

Which brings up the topic of the English dub of Dragonball Super. How’s Chris Ayre’s health right now? Ever since he was in hospital back in June haven’t been able to find out more on his condition. Didn’t realise his brother voices Frost - they sounded quite similar in execution.

J4g3r

Man, Frost got played like a god damn fiddle - Nearly choked on my coffee when Zeno erased him so casually, lol.

I'm also a little less angry about them replacing Buu with Freeza after this episode.

McNum

Huh, didn't see that coming. Frost really was an amateur, it's one thing to cheat when you can get away with it, but breaking one of the few rules of the tournament right in front of the Zenos? You're gonna get deleted. So he did.

I can't say I'll miss Frost. He was just a lesser Frieza and we've got Frieza Classic in the show again. Much better.

VDenter

Banned
I just hope that this is the last story arc that uses Freeza. He has been used well all things considered but he has lost all semblance of mystic and presence since his introduction. All the Freeza clones just serve to diminish his character even further.

VariantX

Calling it now.

Could work. There's like only 30-ish planets left in U7. Likely due to beerus simply destroying without any real purpose and frieza and his predecessors being allowed to do as he willed because beerus was always asleep 99% of the time not doing his job.

Frieza to Frost
597.jpg

Alecs27

Neo Member
Gohan is so Yamcha.. I don't like it at all in this tournament. He looks too weak and afraid compared to his teammates.
Btw next episode looks good but not that good, hopefully they'll improve it.

Ashodin

Champa is probably pissed AF - not only did one of their best fighters got eliminated, they won't even be able to get him back if they win the tournament regardless.

J4g3r

Champa is probably pissed AF - not only did one of their best fighters got eliminated, they won't even be able to get him back if they win the tournament regardless.

This happening gives me the feeling it will happen again to a different universe.

Out of all of U7, my guess is Vegeta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom